Print Thread
alright I'm hooked #5098671 05/04/14 02:18 AM
D
Duckblind Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
Bought my first bow last week, Diamond carbon Cure. Been shooting a target every day 40-50 shots a day, taking breaks here and there (the fatigue got me the first day). I'm lovin it!!! Been shooting 25 and 45 yards. Other than just getting out in the back yard and shooting like crazy, any practice "tips" for a newb?

Duckblind
Re: alright I'm hooked [Re: Duckblind] #5098781 05/04/14 03:34 AM
T
Trash Fish and Cull Bucks Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Work on a consistent form and release. Shooting a lot is good for building up the right muscles, but if you get so tired that it starts to affect your release, give it a break for a little while. Also, always work on and practice range estimation out to the maximum distance you plan to shoot. Oh, and have fun with it.

The recreational value of game is inverse to the artificiality of its origin - Aldo Leopold
Re: alright I'm hooked [Re: Duckblind] #5098875 05/04/14 10:43 AM
H
hunter1st Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
This is my opinion, one or two good shots per day is all you need. 40-50 can cause form problems, shoulder problems and a lack of concentration leading to bad habits. When hunting with a bow, the first shot MUST count, second shot usually won't happen.

Once you get it down, start throwing in some hunting situations, i.e. shooting from a sitting position (ground blind) or elevated position (tree stand). And for good measure, wear your hunting/cold weather clothes to make sure they aren't too bulky.

Also, shoot a 3d course, Cowtown Bowmen, CCR, etc.

Re: alright I'm hooked [Re: Duckblind] #5099103 05/04/14 04:44 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
I shoot 12-24 arrows every day. But I've shooting 50-60yards every day.

I'm a firm believer in muscle memory.

With that said its about how you shoot not how many.

Take your time focus on grip, anchor point, drawing slow, and release.

Remember your preparing for one shoot!!!

I also shoot from a different position each day also. Sitting, kneeling etc

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: alright I'm hooked [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5099717 05/05/14 01:27 AM
O
Oakysmoker Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
O
I also am a newb, been shooting around 20 per day at blind/ stand ranges of 20 to 35yds. I shoot mostly from a chair because I seriously doubt I will be doing much stalking. Have also practiced from the kneeling position.
I only shoot two arrows per round to give myself time to relax, practice focusing on form, constrol and exact shot placement.
The things that turned out to be the largest source of error for me:
1) I shot with weak eye closed
2) Experimented with various grips
3) Anchor point never felt right
4) Was tugging the trigger bar on my release

1) Shooting with both eyes wide open made a huge difference for me. Instantly brought groups in.
2) I now let the grip/rest fall into the natural web of my hand and after it has tension on it I allow my fingers to wrap gently around the front and my fingertips rest on the edge of the far side grip. I do not completely wrap them...ever. This eliminated some hidden torque that was driving me nuts with left/right shot placement.
3) Finally found a position that was repeatable and let the string naturally anchor at the edge of my nose.
4) This one showed up at 30 yards and beyond. I understand why releases are so important.....ease the squeeze....just like a distance shot with a rifle, a little twitch goes a long way.

2nd Amendment: Use it or loose it.
Re: alright I'm hooked [Re: Duckblind] #5099792 05/05/14 02:31 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
First shot always counts but that doesn't mean 50 isn't good too. If you are damaging your shoulders from shooting you need to look at your draw weight and maybe an easier cam set up. Muscle memory isn't formed from one or two shots. It comes from exercising those muscles, strengthening and toning them. That way there is no strain in the draw or holding it. They know to keep the elbow up and in tight. The anchor point becomes natural to draw up to it each shot. Those muscles need to be trained to do everything right the first time, every time. And that means repetition.

Of course I realize many "bowhunters" take their bow out a few days before archery season and put it up the last day and don't shoot much beyond that. And many of them have successful hunts. I have buddies like that. I've been on a couple of long sparse blood trails for those types of archers though.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: alright I'm hooked [Re: Duckblind] #5100072 05/05/14 12:39 PM
W
Wes70 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
As a beginner you want to concentrate more on form them how many arrows you shoot. Make sure you are anchoring in the same spot every time. Bad habits are hard to break and those bad habits will wound animals instead of kill them.

One tip that helps me and others that I have told about this. With your eyes closed you should be able to draw your bow and anchor and everything should be lined up. If it isn't you need to do some tweaking.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide