Forums46
Topics537,968
Posts9,731,177
Members87,051
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Comparison Review of the Sightmark Photon 3.5x vs 5x digital riflescopes #4950450 02/03/14 11:18 AM
HuntTXhogs Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Disclaimer: I used a couple of accessories in this latest field test review, you can google UNV20IR and UNV Photon Doubler Adapter to order. I am not affiliated with the company, I am not a dealer of NV or materials - I simply use what the market bears at the time for my reviews. cool

Okay so with that out of the way - The Sightmark Photon continues to impress and one of the most asked questions on the I-net is: What are the differences between the 3.5x and 5x versions.

Well before you spend your hard earned money check out this review:

Conclusion: The scopes were tested under the hardest condition for NV, new moon lunar phase which equates to total darkness, add to that a complete overcast evening (no starlight) and you will see that this review represents the lowest level of performance possible out of the system.

I caution you with the Photon, with it's fixed video output resolution and brightness it continues to challenge reviewers in translating to others what the scope's viewfinder is rendering to the operator's eye. Be not decieved, while this video review may have you sitting in your stool thinking the 5x definitely looks clearer - this is NOT the case....

I try to avoid narrating my review videos but in the case of the Photon it was my only way to "keep it real" happy3

What is very real about these scopes is they completely TROMP Generation 1 night vision and with appropriately outfitted add-ons and the right environmental conditions (low grass / open fields / etc) you can actually start to equivocate digital technology to some Gen 2 devices.

I know I know, don't go getting all soppy over a digital scope - but hey it is only 5 - 6 hundred bucks.... woot

Anyhow this review was a good amount of work, I don't ask for much other than your feedback and comments (good or bad) - Enjoy!

HTXH

Last edited by HuntTXhogs; 02/03/14 02:33 PM.
Re: Comparison Review of the Sightmark Photon 3.5x vs 5x digital riflescopes [Re: HuntTXhogs] #4950557 02/03/14 01:38 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Very nice review. Thank you for sharing.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Comparison Review of the Sightmark Photon 3.5x vs 5x digital riflescopes [Re: HuntTXhogs] #4951284 02/03/14 07:25 PM
T
TX-Bear Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
So awesome

Re: Comparison Review of the Sightmark Photon 3.5x vs 5x digital riflescopes [Re: HuntTXhogs] #4951339 02/03/14 07:59 PM
JohnRussell Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Very nice review. I am leery to go out and just buy a 5x when you state the 3.5 has a much clearer picture.

Did I understand that aspect correctly? It's not that huge an issue to spend the extra 100 bucks, since I clearly would get a better aim as I would get about 2.05x closer... heh.. but is it worth it?

If you could only get one, which would it be?

Thanks!

Russ

Hunting is easy..it's getting permission from your wife that is tough.
Re: Comparison Review of the Sightmark Photon 3.5x vs 5x digital riflescopes [Re: HuntTXhogs] #4951564 02/03/14 09:44 PM
HuntTXhogs Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
I whole-heartedly believe the 3.5x version is just flat out better designed so therefore, now with time spent in-scope, I would choose the 3.5x version.

As for the lesser magnification... Well just aim small aim

Re: Comparison Review of the Sightmark Photon 3.5x vs 5x digital riflescopes [Re: JohnRussell] #4951608 02/03/14 10:03 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Good job on the review...

Re: Comparison Review of the Sightmark Photon 3.5x vs 5x digital riflescopes [Re: dfwroadkill] #4951620 02/03/14 10:08 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
One thing I'll point out. The pigs get awful small on the 3.5 starting at 150 and definitely at 200 without the doubler. My experience with the onboard IR's was more like somewhat usable at 100, not very good at all much beyond that...

Re: Comparison Review of the Sightmark Photon 3.5x vs 5x digital riflescopes [Re: HuntTXhogs] #4951632 02/03/14 10:13 PM
JohnRussell Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I planned to get the doubler and the external IR.

The real issue was whether to get the 3.5x or the 5x.

if it was like $400 difference.. easy choice.. lol

Thank you for all the input!

Russ

Re: Comparison Review of the Sightmark Photon 3.5x vs 5x digital riflescopes [Re: HuntTXhogs] #4952072 02/04/14 02:08 AM
H
Hard_ware Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Nice review! Keep in mind the video and the thru the lens view are not the same with the 3.5x especially. The width I beleive is cropped in the thru the lens view as well.

With a powerful IR light this unit will function with no moon at several hundred yards , at the 500.00 mark quite impressive!

NRA life member
Re: Comparison Review of the Sightmark Photon 3.5x vs 5x digital riflescopes [Re: HuntTXhogs] #4952101 02/04/14 02:19 AM
V
Vern1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
Since I only have a 5X, I can only speak about that one.
I am pretty impressed with this little scope.
I also have a N750 DigiSight for comparison.

Hunting from a 16' tall blind where all the tree tops are below your level really brings it into it's own.
At ground level, the IR illuminator seems to make ground and weeds nearby bloom a lot, limiting viewing distance - may try to fasion a shade or blinder to help keep IR off ground.
Up in the air, I was able to positively identify deer easily at 125 yards with built-in IR in same danged dark conditions.
Positively as in actually see the deer very clearly - it seems to see deer and coyotes better than the N750 but need to directly compare next week.

I don't know what frequency the IR is on the Photon but have a 850Nm and 940Nm to test with it just for grins.
I can definately see where a more powerful and focusable IR illuminator would increase the usable distance a lot.
Being able to focus the IR into a beam would help with ground and weed bloom also.

Gonna be burried the rest of the week getting ready for a National event at my field this weekend but will start serious testing next week.

As for aiming small....I used to...about 30 or 40 years ago...rofl

Cheers,
Vern1
Texans since The Old 300 in 1824
NRA Lifetime Member
Re: Comparison Review of the Sightmark Photon 3.5x vs 5x digital riflescopes [Re: HuntTXhogs] #4952160 02/04/14 02:43 AM
B
Blue Tick Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
I am looking at these as well and going to see them both in person tomorrow. I can't decide which one I want. Can you provide some links to where you located the doubler at? I can't find it in a google search for some reason.

Re: Comparison Review of the Sightmark Photon 3.5x vs 5x digital riflescopes [Re: Blue Tick] #4952193 02/04/14 02:56 AM
HuntTXhogs Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Blue Tick
I am looking at these as well and going to see them both in person tomorrow. I can't decide which one I want. Can you provide some links to where you located the doubler at? I can't find it in a google search for some reason.

Bearclaw, forum sponsor is selling the doublers. Send him a PM.

Lets us know how you make out at Cabelas.

Re: Comparison Review of the Sightmark Photon 3.5x vs 5x digital riflescopes [Re: HuntTXhogs] #4952233 02/04/14 03:09 AM
B
Blue Tick Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Originally Posted By: HuntTXhogs

Thanks for the info. Definitely not using Cabelas. Found a dealer right close to me and he has a couple of each in stock for me to check out. What IR illuminator do you recommend? Your preference is the 3.5x? With the doubler what is the effective magnification?

Re: Comparison Review of the Sightmark Photon 3.5x vs 5x digital riflescopes [Re: Blue Tick] #4952319 02/04/14 03:47 AM
Bearclaw Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker

Here you go:
http://www.ultimatenightvision.com/-p/unv-photon-doubler-kit.htm

Thanks for the review.

Re: Comparison Review of the Sightmark Photon 3.5x vs 5x digital riflescopes [Re: HuntTXhogs] #4952489 02/04/14 11:00 AM
JohnRussell Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Yea, just waiting for the IRS return to hit the bank and I get to order my setup.

Will be interested in seeing them in person, but do not think anyone is around Austin, TX so.. have to base everything on ya'lls input.. grin

Cannot wait to get it.. and will definitely get the doubler and external IR.

Russ

Re: Comparison Review of the Sightmark Photon 3.5x vs 5x digital riflescopes [Re: Blue Tick] #4952643 02/04/14 01:53 PM
HuntTXhogs Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker

Thanks for the info. Definitely not using Cabelas. Found a dealer right close to me and he has a couple of each in stock for me to check out. What IR illuminator do you recommend? Your preference is the 3.5x? With the doubler what is the effective magnification?

BT - I don't know where I pulled Cabelas from - supporting the local guy is always the best way!

I like a few different illuminators, listed below in order of price (high to low), I prefer the LED based units:

The Torch Pro is focusable (spot) and defocusable (wide beam), has plenty of light output, and is backed by an established and well respected company. The spot focus is nice and tight and well rounded. Being that the market is full of these you can sometimes catch a good deal on a used one. Battery life is good and uses a readily available battery.

The UNV20IR has by far the most light output I have seen in a compact and light housing, focusable as well The light is also programmed for various modes (dimmable) which has a slight learning curve to it but is an option not available on other illuminators. Battery life is around 2 hours using a battery that you won't find at your local depot (18650 battery type)

The Streamlight TAC IR - the set it and forget it option. An extreme blast of IR at the push of a button. TAC IR doesn't focus, doesn't dim, is a battery hog BUT is effective and the cheapest of the three IRs and uses a common battery.

My preference is the 3.5x, when doubled it is around 5.95x magnification.

Last edited by HuntTXhogs; 02/04/14 02:04 PM.
Re: Comparison Review of the Sightmark Photon 3.5x vs 5x digital riflescopes [Re: JohnRussell] #4952644 02/04/14 01:53 PM
V
Vern1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
Originally Posted By: JohnRussell
Yea, just waiting for the IRS return to hit the bank and I get to order my setup.

Will be interested in seeing them in person, but do not think anyone is around Austin, TX so.. have to base everything on ya'lls input.. grin

Cannot wait to get it.. and will definitely get the doubler and external IR.

Russ

Hey Russ,
I'm right down the road in Red Rock area.
I'm burried for the next week and weekend but will have free time after that.

My dealings with Bearclaw have been very good.

Cheers,
Vern1
Texans since The Old 300 in 1824
NRA Lifetime Member
Re: Comparison Review of the Sightmark Photon 3.5x vs 5x digital riflescopes [Re: HuntTXhogs] #4953625 02/04/14 09:30 PM
B
Blue Tick Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
The ATN xsight really has my inyereat as well. Does anyone have 1 or have a good review on 1?

Re: Comparison Review of the Sightmark Photon 3.5x vs 5x digital riflescopes [Re: HuntTXhogs] #4953746 02/04/14 10:20 PM
R
RTF Rob Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
That was a great review! Thanks so much!

I'm looking at a 3.5x now!

* One “Aw-Sh*t” wipes out ALL “At-A-Boys”
The difference between shooting and soothing is one "H"'s placement.
Re: Comparison Review of the Sightmark Photon 3.5x vs 5x digital riflescopes [Re: HuntTXhogs] #4953969 02/05/14 12:20 AM
C
crapicat Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Well, that presentation clears up some of the many questions I have about these units. Thanks

Re: Comparison Review of the Sightmark Photon 3.5x vs 5x digital riflescopes [Re: Vern1] #4956150 02/05/14 11:50 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I can't contribute more to the comparison that HuntTXhogs has done, I think it's a very good demonstration of the two products. I bought a 3.5X version for these reasons:

1) The CMOS sensor has more pixels. I didn't know for certain but I suspected that the larger sensor might translate into better resolution. HuntTXhogs says he sees this in his demo.

2) My previous setup has been an EOTech 512 red dot sight with a 3X magnifier behind it. 3X has done okay for me so far, and I figure if I decide I need more magnification I can always add the 1.7X optical multiplier.

3) Lastly, and this wasn't really a big factor, the 3.5X Photon was $100 cheaper than the 5X.

Originally Posted By: Vern1
My dealings with Bearclaw have been very good.

I'll second that statement.

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: Comparison Review of the Sightmark Photon 3.5x vs 5x digital riflescopes [Re: der Teufel] #4958388 02/06/14 10:04 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Upon further thought…

Everyone likes something different. There is no right/wrong answer to some questions.

Having spent a fair amount of time working with both scopes, I can offer this. On our first session which lasted an hour or so, we walked away with the term “inconclusive” being the thought. That thought only changed ever so slightly over time.

The difference in the two scopes is extremely slight. The 3.5 does have a tad better resolution which evidences itself at shorter ranges. But that advantage slowly disappears with distance as the lesser magnification comes into play. By the time you hit 150 yards it doesn’t matter because the target is so small on the 3.5 that you’ll want a 5 or the doubler or both. Even with the doubler, the 3.5 would not be preferred at 200 yards. So, maybe the choice is more about ones use. In my opinion, somewhere between 100 and 150 yards the 5 starts to match and then exceed the 3.5. If you are the guy that makes ALL his shots from 100 in, the 3.5 is your scope. Beyond that, the choice begins to blur and for those that shoot longer range the choice becomes the 5. If you are the scattershooting guy that prefers multiple shots on a sounder with a wider FOV, the 3.5 is your choice. If you are the guy that prefers accurate shot placement and one shot, one kill while being magged up on a target, the 5 is your choice. Yes, I think it is more about personal use and choice than anything else.

Illuminators…. I would repeat that neither of the onboard illuminators is sufficient. In some situations, I struggled to see well even at 85 yards. An aftermarket illuminator is a must. Having actually OWNED all three illuminators that HuntTXHogs mentioned and having used them in real hunting situations, I would offer the following:

The Torch Pro is a great light. It was my main go to for quite awhile. The focus is excellent. However, there are issues. The light costs $240 bucks and comes with a tailcap that is momentary push (not good for hunting) or twist for on. I lost one tailcap because I loosened it to turn it off and as I walked along it worked itself loose and fell off (found it about one month later). If you want a tailcap to simply turn it on (push button) and leave it on for a shot you will need to purchase an aftermarket tailcap to the tune of ~$40 bucks. Now you are at $280.00 plus shipping and taxes. Pretty pricey. I also found that for me, the Photon sensors just weren’t quite as sensitive to its 805 nm wavelength compared to an 850 nm light. The batteries, CR 123’s. My experience has been that 123’s never last well and are pricey. TNVC recommends against the use of rechargables, so you are stuck with toting around pricey batteries that you only get one use out of. Trust me, it goes through batteries. Dimming….it has no dimming option… I like to be able to dim the light. You just don’t need the same amount of light at 50 yards that you need at 100, 150 or 200….and focus can only help so much.. Just the same, I still have it and I still like it.

The Streamlight TAC IR… Great little light for the money. Turn it on, the world lights up. However… No focus. No dimming. Washout abounds at 50, 75 yards… So, you turn it on and it is full blast, eating batteries. It uses two CR123’s and will chew through them. Mounting… If you want to mount the light you have to buy Streamlights special mount that runs about 50 bucks. The barrel of the light is small and will not work with conventional rings. Still, as a backup, not a bad light at all.

The UNV 20 IR… it has it all. Focusable, 5 modes with various dimming options and rechargeable batteries. For dimming you have 0 – 100 – 0, low – medium – high, medium – high, etc. 8 quick soft taps takes you from mode to mode. Yes, it has a bit of a learning curve, took me about 10 minutes to be comfortable with it. The point is this light allows you all the options to adjust to any light in the sky because you can control both the focus and brightness. It has a 1,050 mw LED, the strongest on the market, while the Torch Pro has a 100 mw LED. Yes, it uses the 18650 battery that is not sold at the corner drug store. But they are cheap and readily available thru the internet (Amazon). They are also rechargeable. You can use them over and over instead of paying and paying for the one time use of CR 123’s. The light runs 175 bucks thru Ultimate Night Vision. That’s a steal when you compare its performance and cost to what had been recognized as the industry leader.

Here is an image from a recent demo night. We used the Torch Pro and the UNV 20 IR back to back on the same equipment. We attempted to get each light to perform its best.

Last edited by dfwroadkill; 02/06/14 10:13 PM.
Re: Comparison Review of the Sightmark Photon 3.5x vs 5x digital riflescopes [Re: HuntTXhogs] #4958666 02/06/14 11:40 PM
HuntTXhogs Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Thanks DFW-RK !!!

It is always nice to have other users relate their experiences with use of common gear.

Hopefully when the Photon(s) and IR lights (all models) get into the hands of hunters they also come back here to share perspectives on what works and what works well!

There is an awful lot to discuss related to maximizing the performance of this lower cost alternative to traditional NV scopes. Heck I don't think I ever had a conversation about a Gen 1 scopes that involved use past 150 yards.

Re: Comparison Review of the Sightmark Photon 3.5x vs 5x digital riflescopes [Re: HuntTXhogs] #4958728 02/07/14 12:02 AM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Heck I don't think I ever had a conversation about a Gen 1 scopes that involved use past 150 yards.

Hehe!! No, I suspect not... cheers

Re: Comparison Review of the Sightmark Photon 3.5x vs 5x digital riflescopes [Re: HuntTXhogs] #4958762 02/07/14 12:17 AM
JohnRussell Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Welp, I expect my income return by Monday or Tuesday.. so I will be ordering the 5x with the doubler and UNV20IR.

Thanks for all the help in deciding!

Russ

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide