Print Thread
Lube for compound bow? #5088702 04/26/14 11:59 AM
O
Oakysmoker Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
O
Just wondering what kind is best to use to help keep the cams smooth/quiet?

My dual cam was just beginning to make a bit of noise (creaking)right at the last few inches of full draw so I dribbled a bit of 'dry' Teflon lube into the cam hubs and also over the string guide rod. It is a Dupont product, can pick it up almost anywhere and appears to be Teflon suspended in some sort of alcohol based solution. Shake vigorously, dribble on, solvent evaporates and the teflon remains as a residual.
It appears to have worked and the bow shot really good/silent afterwards. Just not sure this is the best 'solution' for regular bow maintenance.

2nd Amendment: Use it or loose it.
Re: Lube for compound bow? [Re: Oakysmoker] #5088866 04/26/14 02:48 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I'm sure that it will not be harmful to the bow as Teflon is very inert and useful for many applications. What I would question is why the bow was having issues to begin with. Are you having any cam lean or other issues?

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Lube for compound bow? [Re: passthru] #5089280 04/26/14 10:50 PM
O
Oakysmoker Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
O
Not sure what was generating the slight creaking noise, but when I applied the teflon it went away instantly. I have not noticed any cam lean, but then again, I am a green wheat archery novice and may not know how to discern it.
I have been shooting 12 to 20 arrows every afternoon for the past three weeks. Waxing the bow string and paying attention to all moving parts. Haven't seen any wobble, anything rattle or get loose. Just notice I was having some unexplained variability on arrow placement...just about the same time this little creaking noise appeared.
Again, everything looks good, bow cranks open silent but near the very back end of the valley and just before I go to the wall and hold...a tiny creeeek sound. Sounded to me like it was near the front of the bow...but that could also have been coming from the top cam.
First arrow after the teflon was a center punch at 30 yards. Second one stacked like a chopstick. So, just thought it must have needed some lube?

Re: Lube for compound bow? [Re: passthru] #5089416 04/27/14 12:50 AM
W
Wes70 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Originally Posted By: passthru
I'm sure that it will not be harmful to the bow as Teflon is very inert and useful for many applications. What I would question is why the bow was having issues to begin with. Are you having any cam lean or other issues?

X2

Re: Lube for compound bow? [Re: Oakysmoker] #5089558 04/27/14 02:41 AM
O
Oakysmoker Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
O
I am just trying to figure out what should be considered regular maintenance to keep my bow shooting as good as it can. It is a fairly new bow, a month old, with 450 some odd arrows through it. I keep the string waxed and keep it stored in a nice bow case.

The cable guide may have been making the noise, because I put teflon on it as well. I really don't know how often, if ever, the cams should be lubed.

Am very pleased with the way the bow is shooting at the moment.

Re: Lube for compound bow? [Re: Oakysmoker] #5089873 04/27/14 03:04 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I understand. I have a fairly new bow as well but if it's giving me an issue I will be taking it to the pro shop as it's a warranty issue.

NRA Life Member
Re: Lube for compound bow? [Re: Oakysmoker] #5100996 05/06/14 12:39 AM
O
Oakysmoker Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
O
O.K., after another week or so of shooting the creak returned....so I figured it must not be just a friction point issue. Took it back to the pro shop, they looked it over and were at first just as perplexed as me.
Turns out it was multiple little things. String had stretched, cams were slightly out of sync and the cable guide had a slight friction on it as well.
After a few tweaks all seemed well, took it home and shot a few more in the backyard just to be certain. Then the creak reappeared! Arrrghhh!

Took it back to the pro shop and a second tech picked it up, manually cycled the cams and instantly located the trouble, a loose set screw on the lower cam. Tightened that little booger up and it has been silent ever since!

With the string tension and cam timing readjusted (and the offending screw tightened) the bow is shooting really nice! Smooth and easy draw, solid back wall and much reduced vibration in the grip, amazing! Shoots better than the day I bought it! Now I know what a 'tuned' bow feels like. Nice!

They agreed with your comments regarding the teflon, won't hurt anything. They also pointed out that the cam bearings are sealed and should not be the source of any such sounds. They taught me how to inspect the cam timing and told me to periodocally check the two screws located on the face of each cam for snugness.

Just for grins I plan to have them install a teflon cable guide to help that sucker slide as effortlessly as possible. Life is good!

grin

Re: Lube for compound bow? [Re: Oakysmoker] #5101337 05/06/14 11:12 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
bananaGlad you got it worked out. Archery is to enjoyable to be a source of stress. And this is another classic example of why I buy from a pro shop. Good deal for you. Now enjoy the bow.

NRA Life Member
Re: Lube for compound bow? [Re: passthru] #5102485 05/07/14 02:32 AM
O
Oakysmoker Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
O
Originally Posted By: passthru
bananaGlad you got it worked out. Archery is to enjoyable to be a source of stress. And this is another classic example of why I buy from a pro shop. Good deal for you. Now enjoy the bow.

'Go to a pro shop' has been THE best archery advice anyone has ever given. For anyone who would complain about a few dollars more on some of the prices I would ask: ' How much is having no regrets worth to you?'..or..'Do you search for discount parchutes to go skydiving?' scared

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide