Print Thread
Spring Turkey On Public Is Tough! #5079235 04/20/14 11:14 AM
B
Booner1 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
blushSpring turkey hunting on public land is TOUGH!!! Or at least it is for a newbie, lol. So far the four gobblers that I have encountered have been much smarter than me and I haven't been able to close the deal. I had one yesterday hung up at the fence to private and he just wouldn't commit to that last 50 yards, what's a fella to do. A lot of walking looking and listening but still nothing. I still have 3 more weekends left so anything can happen. Good luck to all of you in the rest of the season.

Born to hunt and fish.
Re: Spring Turkey On Public Is Tough! [Re: Booner1] #5079245 04/20/14 11:38 AM
G
Gamblinman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Gobblers can be tough anywhere, but put a fence, creek, or other obstacle between you and the tom, and it gets double tough.

Good luck

Gman

" I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt turkeys because I have to."
Re: Spring Turkey On Public Is Tough! [Re: Booner1] #5079257 04/20/14 12:07 PM
S
sethcros Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted By: Booner1
blushSpring turkey hunting on public land is TOUGH!!! Or at least it is for a newbie, lol. So far the four gobblers that I have encountered have been much smarter than me and I haven't been able to close the deal. I had one yesterday hung up at the fence to private and he just wouldn't commit to that last 50 yards, what's a fella to do. A lot of walking looking and listening but still nothing. I still have 3 more weekends left so anything can happen. Good luck to all of you in the rest of the season.

Are you hunting at LBJ? I had the same problem on one of the units out there.

Re: Spring Turkey On Public Is Tough! [Re: Gamblinman] #5079270 04/20/14 12:28 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: Gamblinman
Gobblers can be tough anywhere, but put a fence, creek, or other obstacle between you and the tom, and it gets double tough.

Good luck

Gman

^^^^ what he said. Next time, if you can, try retreating 100 yards and call. If the tom thinks your leaving, sometimes that will make him commit. Only do it if you have cover and cant be seen.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Spring Turkey On Public Is Tough! [Re: Booner1] #5079338 04/20/14 01:46 PM
L
LittleD Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L
Yes Public hunting is difficult I have had success on public property by hunting later in the day for example try to locate a bird early, if you cannot get him to work but will answer go back to that area about 10 a.m. set up and do some soft to moderate calling but not a lot sometimes this will pay off on high pressure birds.

Danny
Re: Spring Turkey On Public Is Tough! [Re: Booner1] #5079387 04/20/14 02:21 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Ive tried it all on Ft Hood and have yet to seal the deal. Opening morning I had tons of birds all around me going nuts fast forward 2 weeks later and they aren't making a sound. Tried using locater calls right before daylight and nothing. So I finally get up walk around and see a couple but they are not interested at all and keeping walking the other way. Sooner or later persistence will pay off. I hope.

Re: Spring Turkey On Public Is Tough! [Re: Booner1] #5079561 04/20/14 04:40 PM
B
Booner1 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
My buddy and I hunted from daylight until about 5:20 or so and this was the only gobbler we could locate. he came thundering in from a good ways after we hit the hen cluck, got in close and then threw on the brakes. Since I'm new at this game I didn't really expect anything more than learn as I go along. May still have a chance yet because the season isn't over.

Born to hunt and fish.
Re: Spring Turkey On Public Is Tough! [Re: Booner1] #5079859 04/20/14 09:02 PM
G
Gamblinman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Birds should get only more receptive to calling as hens begin to lay and nest. That 9:30 to 12:30 timeframe should begin to get real busy in the next few days.

Gman

Re: Spring Turkey On Public Is Tough! [Re: Booner1] #5081046 04/21/14 05:03 PM
B
billy1968 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Lots of gobbling on the roost but not responding to a call yet on Caddo in Fannin. Anybody else having this happen ?

Re: Spring Turkey On Public Is Tough! [Re: billy1968] #5081107 04/21/14 05:37 PM
K
KYBLUEFAN Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
K
Yes on opening day and Saturday. Saturday they were not roosting in same area they were on opening day.

Re: Spring Turkey On Public Is Tough! [Re: Western] #5081256 04/21/14 07:05 PM
T
talkturkey Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Western

Next time, if you can, try retreating 100 yards and call. If the tom thinks your leaving, sometimes that will make him commit. Only do it if you have cover and cant be seen.

^^^^ this

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
...Sooner or later persistence will pay off. I hope.

and that will make the harvest soooooooo much SWEETER!

I also think if there's a lot of pressure and calling from hunters going on, the turkeys get wise to the calls.

Re: Spring Turkey On Public Is Tough! [Re: sethcros] #5083022 04/22/14 09:37 PM
B
Booner1 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: sethcros

Are you hunting at LBJ? I had the same problem on one of the units out there.

I was hunting LBJ, this is the third time that I have had a gobbler hang up. Twice by a fence line and once by a creek, just couldn't coax them over. Not going to give up yet, still have 3 more weekends to hunt. Would be nice if I can find some part of LBJ that hasn't been hunted so hard but hey, it's public and I'll just have to learn how to adjust.

Born to hunt and fish.
Re: Spring Turkey On Public Is Tough! [Re: talkturkey] #5086900 04/25/14 02:01 AM
S
scubaarchery Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
The best thing to do is back up if you can do it without being seen, that usually gets them to commit. Also if they are henned up in the morning and don't respond to your calls, they may return after they are done messing with the hens they have. In more than one case, I have had gobblers wander off, only to return to that spot later in the morning looking for the hen...

Catch more hybrids, sand-bass and striper with the Thump’emup Thumper!
www.thumpemupfishing.com
Re: Spring Turkey On Public Is Tough! [Re: scubaarchery] #5088820 04/26/14 02:09 PM
G
Gamblinman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: scubaarchery
The best thing to do is back up if you can do it without being seen, that usually gets them to commit. Also if they are henned up in the morning and don't respond to your calls, they may return after they are done messing with the hens they have. In more than one case, I have had gobblers wander off, only to return to that spot later in the morning looking for the hen...

This. I can't name the birds I've harvested by sitting tight in a turkey rich environment. It works especially well with Eastern birds.

Gman

Re: Spring Turkey On Public Is Tough! [Re: Gamblinman] #5089821 04/27/14 02:06 PM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S

This. I can't name the birds I've harvested by sitting tight in a turkey rich environment. It works especially well with Eastern birds.

Gman
My brother and his preacher went out on some public ground in E Tx for Easterns last weekend. They had a bird come in and hung up on the other side of this creek. So my brother backed up about 200 yds, preacher stayed put, and my brother called, and that old bird came on in right by the preacher. That bird had a 11 1/2 in beard. Then my brother went back this past Sat. Had about 5 gobblers out in front of him on roost. They ended up circling around him. Then about 9:30, he said he heard the last gobble of the morning, out in front to his right. He said he was going to hunt till noon and just stay put where he was at. The birds knew where he was by his calling. At that last gobble, he said he answered it and put his call up. He ended up falling asleep for almost an hour. He said when he woke up, he had a jake right out in front of him eyeballin him. Then he looked to his right and had a bigger bird 30 yds out and he shot that one. All on public ground.
Now it's my turn!!!!!!

Re: Spring Turkey On Public Is Tough! [Re: sqiggy] #5089887 04/27/14 03:17 PM
T
Tjack28 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: sqiggy

Gman
My brother and his preacher went out on some public ground in E Tx for Easterns last weekend. They had a bird come in and hung up on the other side of this creek. So my brother backed up about 200 yds, preacher stayed put, and my brother called, and that old bird came on in right by the preacher. That bird had a 11 1/2 in beard. Then my brother went back this past Sat. Had about 5 gobblers out in front of him on roost. They ended up circling around him. Then about 9:30, he said he heard the last gobble of the morning, out in front to his right. He said he was going to hunt till noon and just stay put where he was at. The birds knew where he was by his calling. At that last gobble, he said he answered it and put his call up. He ended up falling asleep for almost an hour. He said when he woke up, he had a jake right out in front of him eyeballin him. Then he looked to his right and had a bigger bird 30 yds out and he shot that one. All on public ground.
Now it's my turn!!!!!!

Yep...easterns seem to be on fire this season. I've been itching to get back out and call for someone else since me and Charles from the forum took our birds on opening day. I'm thinking about taking a retired warden friend of mine out to a different location I've seem birds and just to see how we do out there next week.

T. Jackson
NWTF, Harris County Wildlife Group
P.O. Box 91227
Houston, TX 77088
http://www.facebook.com/pages/NWTF-Harris-County-Wildlife-Group/111234152254353
Re: Spring Turkey On Public Is Tough! [Re: Booner1] #5090459 04/27/14 10:15 PM
B
Booner1 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
Gonna make 1 more trip next weekend before the season closes. The last weekend is Mother's Day weekend so will need to stay home for that.

Born to hunt and fish.
Re: Spring Turkey On Public Is Tough! [Re: Booner1] #5090575 04/27/14 11:55 PM
G
Gamblinman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Moisture is better this year...hopefully have a good Eastern bird hatch this year.

Gman

Re: Spring Turkey On Public Is Tough! [Re: Booner1] #5090591 04/28/14 12:03 AM
B
Booner1 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
I'm gonna be toughing it out one last weekend on LBJ, may end the season without a bird but not because I didn't try. I wasn't sure if I could pull it off or not since this is my first year of spring turkey hunting.

Born to hunt and fish.
Re: Spring Turkey On Public Is Tough! [Re: Booner1] #5114423 05/15/14 04:36 PM
Dirtsaver Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
Went to lbj a few times this year and had trouble getting on them. I heard them coming from the west and hopped over to the next parcel and then heard them coming back from the east. It's like they knew where the private land was.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide