Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Let's Talk Scooters #4096766 03/03/13 08:47 PM
Big Tony Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
My hips, back and balance aint gettin' no better. I don't have the mobility that I once had. Any kind of prolonged trip to say, the grocery store or anywhere that I'm on my feet is increasingly becoming more painful and difficult, if not impossible. I've already had a couple of tumbles that haven't caused any serious injuries. I can't do things that I've always taken for granted, like go to the swap meet, or Six Flags etc. I've missed out on way to much already. When you miss things like family outings or places you can't go is most frustrating. I'm tired of it. Susan has been suggesting for a couple years now that I try out a scooter. I won't even think about using the ones at the grocery store. I hang with her as long as I can, then go sit in the truck until she's finished. This morning, she suggested it again. I'm checking into the World of Scooters. If I gotta do it, I'm gonna do it my way, I'm going full camo. LOL I've spoken to the Scooter Store, and they're starting my paperwork tomorrow. Hopefully soon, I will be fully mobile again. I just gotta find a tough lookin' one that's not embarrassing. Any of you folks or your family have any experience with these things? What are the pros and cons?

"A hunt based only on trophies taken, falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be." -Fred Bear
Re: Let's Talk Scooters [Re: Big Tony] #4099062 03/04/13 08:43 PM
91cavgt Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I'm just a young guy, but after having 3 foot surgeries, and after my dad had both of his knees replaced, and my step mom had foot surgery the family got one to go around and be used where we need it.

We got a big one which makes it kinda hard to use around the house, going through door ways and negotiating around furniture. But, when using it at the State Fair, it remained VERY stable regardless of the incline.

The big thing with them is that to make the batteries last, you need to let them recharge fully when they get low. Sometimes it takes an entire day and night to get it recharged, depending on how low it got run down.

Ours has a crappy headlight(we never use it) and an even worse horn. I've thought about replacing the horn with an automotive horn or a small electric air horn to give it some intestinal fortitude. Maybe mount those 6 point antlers that are in the garage on the handle bars too.

God has a plan and something special in mind for all of us. Do you know the direction that God wants to send you?
Re: Let's Talk Scooters [Re: 91cavgt] #4110190 03/09/13 04:58 AM
C
countryby Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
Look at the V6 or the X8 at magicmobility.com but, most insurances willn't pay for them because, they a group 4 wheelchair.

Re: Let's Talk Scooters [Re: Big Tony] #5074124 04/16/14 09:07 PM
R
redog Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Hey Big Tony... I`m getting my first elect wheelchair tomorrow...I also had it camo to make it more fun. I have MD and my walk was getting shorter and shorter. Though i`d better get the chair before Obama cut the good people out of what they work for...for years...had trouble with the insurances not wanting to pay up but with the help of Travis Medical got it done. Ins. will not pay for camo paint job an what they call a elevator that helps me to get out of the chair easier. also the part i thought was wrong is the chair lift that bolts in the back of the pickup to load the chair Ins. will not pay for that....So i am looking on CL for a lift. Tony, I thank God for providing these tools so we can still getter done!

" smile this is the first day of the rest of your life"
Re: Let's Talk Scooters [Re: Big Tony] #5074960 04/17/14 11:00 AM
U
upsslim Offline
Tracker
Tracker
U
We were on a hunt last year with a young man who was disabled. He had a chair that ran on tracks. It could go just about anywhere even over small trees laying in the woods. It was amazing.

East Texas
Patriot Guard Rider
Flag Captain
Re: Let's Talk Scooters [Re: Big Tony] #5076818 04/18/14 12:40 PM
R
RYNO wheels Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Tony, when you are ready, let me know. Just got a new chair, since somebody stole to old one (long story) and the guy did a bang up job getting me set up. My new chair is now only 17 lbs.

[Linked Image]
Re: Let's Talk Scooters [Re: Big Tony] #5114136 05/15/14 01:09 PM
S
StretchR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Tony,

New here, but I thought I would chime in anyway. I've been dealing with a broken foot (multiple surgeries) since last June. Then in December I fell and tore the ligaments in both knees. After multiple surgeries for that too, For now I am in a manual wheelchair. I'm hoping to walk, at least with a walker, by deer season.

My point is that there is no shame in using the grocery store/Walmart electric cart. My guess is that the problems you have walking were earned honorably. If you need help, use it.

David

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide