Forums46
Topics538,023
Posts9,732,032
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Speed goat is on my bucket list. Best way to get it done? #5073694 04/16/14 04:08 PM
J.G. Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Bucket list is a large whitetail, nice muley, elk (check), Bighorn Sheep, and Pronghorn.

Been to the Rita Blanca many times and have seen hundreds of Pronghorn. Should I just put in for a drawing? I'm not scared to do a DIY hunt. In fact, I've never been on a guided hunt.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Speed goat is on my bucket list. Best way to get it done? [Re: J.G.] #5073716 04/16/14 04:20 PM
D
Dave3575 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Check Arbuckle Wilderness - you can drive thru the place and just open the back door to the car and lead one in with a handfull of food.....

Re: Speed goat is on my bucket list. Best way to get it done? [Re: J.G.] #5073717 04/16/14 04:20 PM
T
TomPr Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Pronghorn is easy to get done in Wyoming, they have more pronghorn than they do people. There are thoussands of tags left after the draws that can be bought over the counter, just get one in a high success unit with some public land and you're set for success there.

Re: Speed goat is on my bucket list. Best way to get it done? [Re: J.G.] #5073718 04/16/14 04:21 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Find a LO tag in SE Co and go shoot one.

Re: Speed goat is on my bucket list. Best way to get it done? [Re: J.G.] #5073723 04/16/14 04:24 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Bucket list is a large whitetail, nice muley, elk (check), Bighorn Sheep, and Pronghorn.

Been to the Rita Blanca many times and have seen hundreds of Pronghorn. Should I just put in for a drawing? I'm not scared to do a DIY hunt. In fact, I've never been on a guided hunt.

If you hunt Oklahoma every year I would put in for that one also.

You don't need a guide of antelope. Its the easiest hunt out there, unless you do it spot and stalk with a bow.

Its target practice with a rifle

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Speed goat is on my bucket list. Best way to get it done? [Re: Dave3575] #5073769 04/16/14 04:42 PM
J.G. Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Shut up, Dave.

rifleman, I would think land owners charge big money for their tags. I'm wanting to do this on the cheap. No?

Bobo, I've never hunted Oklahoma. It is a draw for out of state hunters? And I figured it was pretty darn easy, as many as I've seen near Jeremy's place. Heck had three or four out the north window one morning while we were making breakfast. But I aint shootin one in June. I like keeping my belongings and not going to jail.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Speed goat is on my bucket list. Best way to get it done? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5073785 04/16/14 04:50 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

You don't need a guide of antelope. Its the easiest hunt out there, unless you do it spot and stalk with a bow.

I hear that you don't need a guide in Oklahoma just don't use a truck whistle

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Speed goat is on my bucket list. Best way to get it done? [Re: J.G.] #5074030 04/16/14 07:40 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Shut up, Dave.

rifleman, I would think land owners charge big money for their tags. I'm wanting to do this on the cheap. No?

Bobo, I've never hunted Oklahoma. It is a draw for out of state hunters? And I figured it was pretty darn easy, as many as I've seen near Jeremy's place. Heck had three or four out the north window one morning while we were making breakfast. But I aint shootin one in June. I like keeping my belongings and not going to jail.

I only say okla if you hunt their already bc you have to have a hunting license to enter draw.

Personally, I would pm every texas outfitter that sells antelope hunts in tx on here and tell them your looking for unguided hunt and you will pay x amount for a tag and if they ever get a good deal or have a backout, tag etc to let you know.

Seen some last minute steal in outfitter section on TX PH

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Speed goat is on my bucket list. Best way to get it done? [Re: stxranchman] #5074036 04/16/14 07:43 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

I hear that you don't need a guide in Oklahoma just don't use a truck whistle

I overheard a rancher up there tell 6 GW's they should allow helo hunting for those parasites like TX does for pigs whistle

Re: Speed goat is on my bucket list. Best way to get it done? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5074116 04/16/14 08:59 PM
J.G. Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Ok, thanks. I'll ask around. I just need another excuse to head west. My one annual trip per year mass killing of prairie dogs aint cuttin it. Good thing about an antelope hunt is if I get one down early in the trip I can whack some prairie dogs for the rest of the trip. grin

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Speed goat is on my bucket list. Best way to get it done? [Re: J.G.] #5074166 04/16/14 09:41 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Ok, thanks. I'll ask around. I just need another excuse to head west. My one annual trip per year mass killing of prairie dogs aint cuttin it. Good thing about an antelope hunt is if I get one down early in the trip I can whack some prairie dogs for the rest of the trip. grin

Antelope hunting is all about what you you want in your mount. Pretty, goofy, book etc. My wifes antelope is 12" smaller then my biggest but is 10x prettier of a mount

Re: Speed goat is on my bucket list. Best way to get it done? [Re: J.G.] #5074192 04/16/14 10:00 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
You can find them on highway 380, west of Tatum, NM, just as you drop off the Caprock a few miles past the big city of Caprock, NM. Feed pens on the north side of the highway, during season we will see all kinds of hunting trailers parked there. Of all of that area, from the state line to Roswell that area is where we see the most antelopes. Coming back at spring break we saw a herd that was so big it looked lie a herd of sheep. Must have been a 100 in it.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Speed goat is on my bucket list. Best way to get it done? [Re: dogcatcher] #5074261 04/16/14 10:53 PM
J.G. Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
What do you reckon I could charge for makings some far shots for other fellers?

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Speed goat is on my bucket list. Best way to get it done? [Re: J.G.] #5074501 04/17/14 01:11 AM
S
seacam Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Longest poke we took last time in Wyoming was just a hair under 390 yards. My personal longest on a goat was just a hair over 300. I would let you tag along for free if I get drawn for this September!! Maybe you could give me some free pointers Fireman.

Re: Speed goat is on my bucket list. Best way to get it done? [Re: J.G.] #5074788 04/17/14 03:24 AM
A
A.B. Offline
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Obi-Wan Kenobi
A
There are now 3 unlimited zones in Texas. One is right here where I am. Tags can be bought over counter and lots of farmers and ranchers between Pampa and Miami that would let you trespass for a nominal fee. Drive around and knock on a few doors and I bet you can find one. Small road trip this summer and you would most likely be good to go.

Talent is a gift, character is a decision.
Re: Speed goat is on my bucket list. Best way to get it done? [Re: J.G.] #5074878 04/17/14 04:10 AM
P
ParkCountyElkDestroyer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Shut up, Dave.

It's the darn near easiest hunt I've ever been on. I hunt NW Wyoming. Saw a nice buck one morning in a barley field wasn't sure if I wanted to shoot him or not. Went into town to go do laundry, get lunch, and buy some screws. Come back a couple hours later. He was still sitting there at about 100 yards. Got out of the truck and set up on the fence post, and the job was done. I'd definitely look into Wyoming for tags it's a fun place to hunt and there are tons of goats.

Re: Speed goat is on my bucket list. Best way to get it done? [Re: J.G.] #5075118 04/17/14 01:24 PM
H
HorizonFirearms Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
go to Wyoming, draw a tag around Casper that unit has more antelope in a 60 mile radius than anywhere in the world. We killed 2 spot and stalk with a bow

Re: Speed goat is on my bucket list. Best way to get it done? [Re: J.G.] #5075130 04/17/14 01:30 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Have relatives in Clovis. After several "Hunting" trips there I decided it was not hunting, only killing. Just my take on it. Seems the antelope were not frightened by the truck or people standing around, guess they had seen enough fence menders.

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Speed goat is on my bucket list. Best way to get it done? [Re: HorizonFirearms] #5075221 04/17/14 02:27 PM
J.G. Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
There's so many in the Texas panhandle, it seems odd for me to drive that far. New Mexico isn't out of question, but what does a non-resident have to pay?

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Speed goat is on my bucket list. Best way to get it done? [Re: blackcoal] #5075224 04/17/14 02:29 PM
J.G. Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Yessir,

My experience with them on the Rita Blanca has been very similar. Last June I had a buck ease toward me while I was actively shooting prairie dogs. Once he got within 200 yards of me I just watched him. The closest he got was 100 yards. I thought "man you're dumb". But it wasn't legal to shoot, so he moseyed on his way.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Speed goat is on my bucket list. Best way to get it done? [Re: J.G.] #5075228 04/17/14 02:31 PM
A
A.B. Offline
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Obi-Wan Kenobi
A
There's so many in the Texas panhandle, it seems odd for me to drive that far. New Mexico isn't out of question, but what does a non-resident have to pay?

They are begging for folks to kill them up here.

Talent is a gift, character is a decision.
Re: Speed goat is on my bucket list. Best way to get it done? [Re: A.B.] #5075277 04/17/14 02:58 PM
E
ETXFIREMAN 1 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
E
Originally Posted By: A.B.

If that's the case I'd be up for making the trip with you FJG.

Originally Posted by BMD
No doubt about the AR crap, just damn shame hunters don't have self control and knowledge

Re: Speed goat is on my bucket list. Best way to get it done? [Re: A.B.] #5075432 04/17/14 04:09 PM
J.G. Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: A.B.

I'd be happy to help. And I can reach out pretty damned far grin

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Speed goat is on my bucket list. Best way to get it done? [Re: ETXFIREMAN 1] #5075436 04/17/14 04:10 PM
J.G. Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Split the diesel, food, beer, and lodging.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Speed goat is on my bucket list. Best way to get it done? [Re: J.G.] #5075457 04/17/14 04:18 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I haven't killed one yet. Wanna do it with my bow. I'm not a fireman but I do work on fire hydrants now and again. If you put a group together let me know. My late friend Jim Ishmael used to go to Wyoming regular and shoot them.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide