Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Eyeworms #5031659 03/21/14 12:15 PM
817cd Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
If y'all follow Rolling Plains Quail research you have already seen this but thought it was interesting and wanted to share.

Graduate student Andrew Olsen (TAMUK) and I sat down and compared eyeworm numbers recently. Andrew is conducting a parasite survey on hunter-shot bobwhites from South Texas. Andrew and I are comparing eyeworm numbers in 125 south Texas bobwhites to 128 bobwhites all shot in the 2012-2013 hunting season. Based on our results, it’s safe to say that eyeworm numbers in South Texas (7% of bobwhites infected) are much lower than in the Rolling Plains (66% of bobwhites infected). The average number of worms per bird (0.2) is also way below the Rolling Plains average (9.3). While we can’t say for sure why this discrepancy exists, we can speculate that it might have something to do with the distribution of the intermediate hosts and climate. Many studies on climate change cite the northward expansion of insects due to their sensitivity to warming spring and summer temperatures. Species of parasitic worms have also been documented exhibiting northward range extensions due to warming temperatures. Unfortunately we don’t know much about the abundance of the eyeworm in South Texas prior to Andrew's study, but it is definitely something to think about. (Posted by Andrea Bruno).
Graduate student Andrew Olsen (TAMUK) and I sat down and compared eyeworm numbers recently. Andrew is conducting a parasite survey on hunter-shot bobwhites from South Texas. Andrew and I are comparing eyeworm numbers in 125 south Texas bobwhites to 128 bobwhites all shot in the 2012-2013 hunting season. Based on our results, it’s safe to say that eyeworm numbers in South Texas (7% of bobwhites infected) are much lower than in the Rolling Plains (66% of bobwhites infected). The average number of worms per bird (0.2) is also way below the Rolling Plains average (9.3). While we can’t say for sure why this discrepancy exists, we can speculate that it might have something to do with the distribution of the intermediate hosts and climate. Many studies on climate change cite the northward expansion of insects due to their sensitivity to warming spring and summer temperatures. Species of parasitic worms have also been documented exhibiting northward range extensions due to warming temperatures. Unfortunately we don’t know much about the abundance of the eyeworm in South Texas prior to Andrew's study, but it is definitely something to think about.

Originally Posted By: beaversnipe
Never used photoshop and never will. Photoshop is for liberals.

Re: Eyeworms [Re: 817cd] #5031771 03/21/14 01:13 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
FYI, a few years back, the original "scientists" postulating the global warming theory were exposed for throwing out the rural data sets that were showing no statistically significant warming.

They only used the data sets on the edges of urban areas where over their study period the heat generating urban areas expanded slowly and showed a gradual rise in base temps.

Back to the study. I'm not doubting the data that you and colleagues generated on eyeworm infestations. But I can guarantee it has nothing to do with "warming" climates. That theory may play well in academia, but those of us paying attention to valid data sets are gonna call bs on blaming bogus climate change for being responsible for anything but federal/state grants.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Eyeworms [Re: 817cd] #5031788 03/21/14 01:24 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
AMEN

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Eyeworms [Re: therancher] #5031877 03/21/14 02:10 PM
N
NorthTXbirdhunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: therancher
FYI, a few years back, the original "scientists" postulating the global warming theory were exposed for throwing out the rural data sets that were showing no statistically significant warming.

They only used the data sets on the edges of urban areas where over their study period the heat generating urban areas expanded slowly and showed a gradual rise in base temps.

Back to the study. I'm not doubting the data that you and colleagues generated on eyeworm infestations. But I can guarantee it has nothing to do with "warming" climates. That theory may play well in academia, but those of us paying attention to valid data sets are gonna call bs on blaming bogus climate change for being responsible for anything but federal/state grants.

Good Post. I saw an article a while back about eyeworms. The eyeworm is not a new found phenomena in quail that alot of people are thinking that they are killing or weakening the birds. The article stated that eyeworms were found in quail research as far back as the early 1960's and it is no worse or better than it was back then.

Re: Eyeworms [Re: 817cd] #5031883 03/21/14 02:13 PM
817cd Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
I had nothing to do with the study just reposted it thought I made that clear, sorry. This is from a Texas based quail research center(Rolling Plains Quail Research Center). I am in no way under any means under the brush stroke you have labeled as "academia"

I think your reading into the article a little too much. I don't think the warming temperatures being sighted are blaming "global warming" Just saying the spread of insects into areas has a lot to do with temperature changes. Im completely with you one the whole debate and the whole media/politcal bs that has surrounded it. I think your frustration along with mine and others makes us quick to not want to hear something or see it as more bs but this is just not part of that.

Climate's change it's what they do. The earth changes constantly no matter what data sets you look at, especially Texas Climates. Species, topography, geography, people and many other things change with it or die off others flourish it's the way it goes. I do not think there is any question as to insects favoring warmer climates.

Regardless just thought it was interesting research related to quail not trying to start an annoying global warming debate. Just thought I would share.

Re: Eyeworms [Re: NorthTXbirdhunter] #5031890 03/21/14 02:19 PM
817cd Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
Originally Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter
Originally Posted By: therancher

Good Post. I saw an article a while back about eyeworms. The eyeworm is not a new found phenomena in quail that alot of people are thinking that they are killing or weakening the birds. The article stated that eyeworms were found in quail research as far back as the early 1960's and it is no worse or better than it was back then.

Yes I am aware that eye worms are not a new phenomena. All this article is about is the distributions in different regions in Texas. I do not believe either the article or I said it was a new idea and only listed climate differences in regions as a secondary cause after intermediate hosts and stated that as mere speculation.

Re: Eyeworms [Re: 817cd] #5032082 03/21/14 03:52 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: 817cd
I had nothing to do with the study just reposted it thought I made that clear, sorry. This is from a Texas based quail research center(Rolling Plains Quail Research Center). I am in no way under any means under the brush stroke you have labeled as "academia"

I think your reading into the article a little too much. I don't think the warming temperatures being sighted are blaming "global warming" Just saying the spread of insects into areas has a lot to do with temperature changes. Im completely with you one the whole debate and the whole media/politcal bs that has surrounded it. I think your frustration along with mine and others makes us quick to not want to hear something or see it as more bs but this is just not part of that.

Climate's change it's what they do. The earth changes constantly no matter what data sets you look at, especially Texas Climates. Species, topography, geography, people and many other things change with it or die off others flourish it's the way it goes. I do not think there is any question as to insects favoring warmer climates.

Regardless just thought it was interesting research related to quail not trying to start an annoying global warming debate. Just thought I would share.

Not a problem and glad you are a discriminating person not subject to the lies of grant seeking academics.

However, I'm certain if you re-read what I posted you'll see that I never said or implied that you were part of the academia I was speaking of.

But I'm also sure that you can see where my flags were raised about the postulation that we have had enough climate change lately to significantly influence base populations of insect and their range.

And that came from "Andrew and I sat down and compared data", and came to these speculations: "While we can’t say for sure why this discrepancy exists, we can speculate that it might have something to do with the distribution of the intermediate hosts and climate. Many studies on climate change cite the northward expansion of insects due to their sensitivity to warming spring and summer temperatures."

IMO it is speculations like that that led unscrupulous "scientists" to "customize" data to fit their speculations.

Now, I'm in no way suggesting or implying that you or Andrew are like that.

But I am still saying that you and I and Andrew are not old enough to have seen enough real climate change to significantly effect the population of insects over significant time periods.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Eyeworms [Re: therancher] #5032191 03/21/14 04:30 PM
817cd Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
Very true.

Even the terminology of studies like this that have anything to do with climate gets annoying. The words climate and change have a whole new meaning thanks to Al Gore.

Im sorry I guess I took the "the data that you and colleagues generated on" as you thought I was involved haha. Funny.

Re: Eyeworms [Re: 817cd] #5032241 03/21/14 05:04 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Couldn't agree more. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Crotchety old bastidge
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide