F
FoxTrot Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted By: Chuck McDonald
Originally Posted By: FoxTrot
Oh one more thing, I am assuming you are shooting off the shelf bows. Just because unequipped the bow is loud is not a good indication it will always be. Once you add a stabilizer and suppressors like BowJax accessories it will really take the loud out of them. I really don't pay much attention to how loud a bow is, because I have seen from experience you can get them all about decently quiet with the right accessories.

Chuck, I disagree with you here. I will not buy a bow that is loud off the shelf. I have to invest my hard earned money into a bow and I certainly dont want to buy stuff that I dont need. Noise cancelling accessories are not considered needs for my bow. Yes I do have a stabilizer on my bow. My bow came with a few dampeners on it so that is all that I have on mine and my bow is super quiet.
If you already have a stabilizer and dampeners, then how can you disagree, those are the items I am talking about. Maybe some monkey tails or something similar on the string, but those are all you should need.

My bow came with dampeners from the factory.

I see your side however I refuse to buy something that I am going to need to make a lot of mods to just to get it in "hunting shape". My friends do this all the time. I just give em hell about it!

My bow is fast, deadly and SILENT...Straight from the factory.

Originally Posted By: Chief Joe
I avoid Dick's and hope they fold.
Re: choosing a bow sucks! [Re: freonfreak82] #4993491 02/26/14 03:27 PM
P
Phantom Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
I like the hoyt and a bowtech guardian. bows are very personal to the shooter. I will change anything that I feel makes me like the bow more. I view it the same as scopes and triggers on a rifle.

Good is the enemy of Great
Re: choosing a bow sucks! [Re: freonfreak82] #4993651 02/26/14 04:20 PM
P
passthru Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Mathews comes with the "harmonic dampeners" incorporated in them as well as sting stops and monkey tails. Seems like most of the Hoyt bows have a short brace height as well.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: choosing a bow sucks! [Re: freonfreak82] #4994527 02/26/14 10:02 PM
T
TxHunter87 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I just went through the same problem I wanted to upgrade my bow an older Ross to a real name brand bow like Mathews, Hoyt or Elite but the problem I had was every bow I shot was better than my Ross and these little differences that would separate them such as this one is smother to pull back and so on were harder for me to tell, I finally went with Mathews b/c the warranty is supposed to be one of the best out there and every shop I went to carried Mathews so I figured if I was ever outside of my city and had a problem most shops know how to work on them

Re: choosing a bow sucks! [Re: freonfreak82] #4994634 02/26/14 10:41 PM
C
Chuck McDonald Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Mathews has a great warranty, but I think Elite goes one better. If you are ever hunting in the field and your elite breaks down or fails, you call them and they will overnight you a new one so you can continue your hunt. When your done you just return it and get your original bow fixed. From Their website:

"Elite Hunt Guarantee

Elite Archery believes that our customers are top priority and we want our customers to be 100% confident in their bows. Elite Archery is comprised of dedicated and passionate bow hunters – for this reason we offer a unique guarantee for our hunting customers.

It happens. You are on the hunt of a lifetime and you accidentally touch your broadhead to your string. You are taking your one-week of vacation to hunt with your friends and your buddy dry-fires your bow. If there isn’t a bow shop within driving distance, your hunt is over – but not if you’re shooting an Elite bow. No matter where you are or what happened to your bow, Elite will send a bow to you at no charge the very next day so that you can finish your hunt. This bow is on loan from Elite Archery and not intended to replace your damaged bow. The loaner bow will arrive with the customers requested draw weight and length, with a rest, sight and peep installed. The bow will be tuned and ready to shoot. It will only need to be sighted in with the customer’s arrows.

If something happens to your bow while on your hunt, please call us at 877-503-5483 and ask for the warranty department. The bows must be returned to us in the condition that they were shipped with all accessories. The loaner bow must be sent using a shipping company that provides package tracking. Our goal is to make sure you can finish your hunt, no matter where you are, no matter what happened."

Re: choosing a bow sucks! [Re: Chuck McDonald] #4994677 02/26/14 10:56 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N

Mathews has a great warranty, but I think Elite goes one better. If you are ever hunting in the field and your elite breaks down or fails, you call them and they will overnight you a new one so you can continue your hunt. When your done you just return it and get your original bow fixed. From Their website:

"Elite Hunt Guarantee

Elite Archery believes that our customers are top priority and we want our customers to be 100% confident in their bows. Elite Archery is comprised of dedicated and passionate bow hunters – for this reason we offer a unique guarantee for our hunting customers.

It happens. You are on the hunt of a lifetime and you accidentally touch your broadhead to your string. You are taking your one-week of vacation to hunt with your friends and your buddy dry-fires your bow. If there isn’t a bow shop within driving distance, your hunt is over – but not if you’re shooting an Elite bow. No matter where you are or what happened to your bow, Elite will send a bow to you at no charge the very next day so that you can finish your hunt. This bow is on loan from Elite Archery and not intended to replace your damaged bow. The loaner bow will arrive with the customers requested draw weight and length, with a rest, sight and peep installed. The bow will be tuned and ready to shoot. It will only need to be sighted in with the customer’s arrows.

If something happens to your bow while on your hunt, please call us at 877-503-5483 and ask for the warranty department. The bows must be returned to us in the condition that they were shipped with all accessories. The loaner bow must be sent using a shipping company that provides package tracking. Our goal is to make sure you can finish your hunt, no matter where you are, no matter what happened."

what happens if you break that one

Re: choosing a bow sucks! [Re: freonfreak82] #4994685 02/26/14 10:59 PM
P
passthru Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
You're having a bad hunt. frown

NRA Life Member
Re: choosing a bow sucks! [Re: passthru] #4994719 02/26/14 11:29 PM
C
Chuck McDonald Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: passthru
You're having a bad hunt. frown
hammer

Re: choosing a bow sucks! [Re: freonfreak82] #4994721 02/26/14 11:31 PM
ttechcolleyville Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
I bought my first serious bow at All Star Archery in Lewisville and I shot quite a few, before narrowing it down to 4. But then I was stuck on all these different thinks, much of which I had heard from others or read in marketing stuff.

The guy there, who was very knowledgeable and patient said, there isn't a bow in that group that wasn't top rate and wouldn't make a helluva bow. He suggested I shoot each bow a couple of times with my eyes closed. Said forget all that marketing mumbo jumbo and any brand bias see which one feels the best.

I closed my eyes and he handed me each bow and aimed me in the right decision. It was easy to immediately eliminate 2 of them. Then another round of shots and it was easy to pick out the right one for me. That would be my advice.

Re: choosing a bow sucks! [Re: freonfreak82] #4994826 02/27/14 12:29 AM
P
passthru Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Well I've got nine on my list to shoot. I'm going to take a day or two off next week to shoot as many of them as possible. As far as I'm concerned the outfitting of the bow will be as difficult and important as the bow itself. I will go with a QAD rest but I'm unsure which sight I will go with. I may go back with an Axcel sight.

NRA Life Member
Re: choosing a bow sucks! [Re: freonfreak82] #4994935 02/27/14 01:44 AM
F
freonfreak82 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
F
yeah thats a good idea about shooting them with your eyes closed. I could see how that would really help make the decision about feel and sound as opposed to "Im holding a mathews" I know that I have shot a ton of em up to this point. Including cheap ones at Cabelas. I still need to shoot the Bowtech next to the Hoyt. The 2 shops around here either carry mat hew, hoyt, elite at one.. or hoyt elite and bowtech at another... lol at the one that had the mathews at it i had it down between the hoyt factor and mathews chill r... both felt great but i remember thinking about the hoyt that i could shoot it all day.. felt comfortable.. so ill take that with me back to the place with the bowtechs and do the same there. hopefully at the end of the week i can and will have made a decision.. i know any bow can kill a deer and i know that most any new bow won't be loud enough or have enough vibration to really make a difference to the average shooter.. at this point for me it is about feel while shooting and how it draws/holds/etc... only reason i am being so cautious is because i bought that drenalin and had buyers remorse shortly after that... realizing that the switchback woulda been a better choice, or alphamax, just want to leave no stone unturned. i don't want to buy a 1400.00 bow, so that 900.00 range is what I'm looking at. like i said, hopefully i make a decision soon.

" get busy livin' or get busy dyin' "
Re: choosing a bow sucks! [Re: freonfreak82] #4996587 02/27/14 09:41 PM
U
UTA_MAV Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
U
I don't have a dealer near me that carries Obsession bows, but I emailed the company and they are sending one set to my specs to my bow shop and will let me shoot it. If I don't like it, all I have to do is send it back. But, I am not set yet. I am also shooting some new bows in the next couple of weeks and will decide between Mathews, Hoyt and Obsession. Going to be fun, but I am going to deck it out with new accessories. Going to be a pretty penny, but you only live once.

Re: choosing a bow sucks! [Re: ttechcolleyville] #4997179 02/28/14 02:29 AM
O
Oakysmoker Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
O
Originally Posted By: ttechcolleyville
I bought my first serious bow at All Star Archery in Lewisville and I shot quite a few, before narrowing it down to 4. But then I was stuck on all these different thinks, much of which I had heard from others or read in marketing stuff.

The guy there, who was very knowledgeable and patient said, there isn't a bow in that group that wasn't top rate and wouldn't make a helluva bow. He suggested I shoot each bow a couple of times with my eyes closed. Said forget all that marketing mumbo jumbo and any brand bias see which one feels the best.

I closed my eyes and he handed me each bow and aimed me in the right decision. It was easy to immediately eliminate 2 of them. Then another round of shots and it was easy to pick out the right one for me. That would be my advice.

Doing the same thing. Just getting started with bow hunting and followed a friend's suggestion and dropped by All Star Archery. They are right off one of my regular routes, so can't beat that. Super friendly and very helpful. I really appreciate their level of experience and that they took the time to listen to my concerns and needs. That doesn't happen at the bling box stores. First part of hunt is over, I found my Pro Shop!

2nd Amendment: Use it or loose it.
Re: choosing a bow sucks! [Re: freonfreak82] #4997355 02/28/14 04:02 AM
F
freonfreak82 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
F
well i have one more shooting session I'm going to try tomorrow.... if i go with a mathews it'll be a chill r. if i go with hoyt it'll be a faktor or faktor turbo, i haven't decided which bowtech it would be either carbon knight or experience... so at least I have it narrowed down that far

Re: choosing a bow sucks! [Re: UTA_MAV] #4998152 02/28/14 05:55 PM
P
passthru Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: UTA_MAV
Going to be a pretty penny, but you only live once.

This is true but if you spend more than what you are willing to respend every two or three years you end up hanging on to a bow so long that it's hard to sell as an old model when you really want to upgrade. I could by a Carbon Spyder but if I spend two grand on a bow/set up I'm going to have a hard time talking myself into doing it again in 3 years. Spend half that and I don't feel so guilty.

NRA Life Member
Re: choosing a bow sucks! [Re: freonfreak82] #4998841 03/01/14 12:17 AM
F
freonfreak82 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
F
finally decided and got the hoyt faktor... super nice bow and it fits me so well.. i really like it.. spent about an hour shooting different bows and this one stood out.. decked it out totally and i don't have a bit of buyers remorse.. it worked out perfectly. thanks for all of the advice along the way guys.

Re: choosing a bow sucks! [Re: freonfreak82] #4998915 03/01/14 01:06 AM
J
ju993rnaut Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
cheers congrats on getting your bow! Now we need pics and what all you decided to hang off of it.

Re: choosing a bow sucks! [Re: freonfreak82] #4998957 03/01/14 01:37 AM
F
freonfreak82 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
F
ill get pics up in the next couple days. all black of course, but i put a fuse 5 pin sight with the light for the pins, hoyt 6 arrow quiver, hoyt carbon blade stabilizer, qad hoyt rest, g5 peep, using a scott release, i opted for easton 330gr hexx arrows and 100 gr field points.. haven't decided what broad heads i want yet.

Re: choosing a bow sucks! [Re: freonfreak82] #4999010 03/01/14 02:25 AM
J
ju993rnaut Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Nice, blackout bows are my favorite. I'm gonna be shooting easton hexx at the next shoot around here...if I get my bow by then. I like QAD exodus broad heads, I'm still waiting for my first kill with them so I can only attest to their sharpness and that they fly like field points. So I assume you got the faktor 30?

Re: choosing a bow sucks! [Re: freonfreak82] #4999103 03/01/14 03:31 AM
F
freonfreak82 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
F
i did get the faktor 30. he didn't have any of the turbos in stock, said he sold the last one yesterday. I really think that 30 will be just fine. hell of a lot faster than the last bow i shot which was a mathews drenalin. what got me though was how comfortable it was to shoot. i really enjoyed it and it wasn't hard at all.. i tried the carbon knight and overdrive as well as elite 32. they all had pros and cons. it really took me forever to narrow it down between 3 bows. then 2, and then just the one. i kinda already knew it was gonna be the factor though. overall it just fit me better.

Re: choosing a bow sucks! [Re: freonfreak82] #4999168 03/01/14 04:28 AM
F
freonfreak82 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
F
heres the pic of it.. took a quick one
https://www.flickr.com/photos/113233562@N02/12847450515/

Re: choosing a bow sucks! [Re: freonfreak82] #5000219 03/02/14 03:58 AM
B
Buckenvy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Bear is my 1st choice and was my 1st bow, My Dad Swears Hoyt best in business, and just got bow of the year, breaking records in womens indoor, wife and daughters shoot the mission "yes By Mathews" and darton, I still believe PSE is Pull Shoot & Explode and always sounds loudest to me...its all matter of opinion and comfort

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide