Print Thread
Ozone Generator #4973103 02/14/14 04:14 AM
W
wisco-hunter Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
W
Was wondering if anyone has used an ozone generator for scent control and how you have it set up? Also how well it works? Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Why is it that every time I push #1 for english, I cannot understand the person on the other end???
Re: Ozone Generator [Re: wisco-hunter] #4973137 02/14/14 04:37 AM
H
Hirogen Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
H
No idea whether they work or not, but I would not use them if you are into activated carbon clothing for scent control (whether or not AC works is another whole separate issue). The ozone will react with the AC and quickly exhaust it.

Just play the wind and forget all the gimmicks - they are designed to lighten your pocket, not make you a better hunter. I primarily ground stalk and have stalked to within 15 yards while smoking - but only under optimum wind conditions.

I used to be quite anal about scent control (special clothes, special containers, special soap, scent killer, cover scents, no smoking for 24 hours, etc..) but discovered that if I played the wind properly it made no difference at all. I dropped all the gimmicks and still kill as many or more deer than before.

Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Re: Ozone Generator [Re: wisco-hunter] #4974824 02/15/14 02:42 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I love the "just hunt the wind" advice. Go sit in my stands and see if you can get down wind. They always circle down wind. You either have a "gimmick" that works or you get busted. IDK about the ozone generators, I only have worked in water treatment facilities with the really GIANT versions of those things. BTW, I discovered that ozone is a highly corrosive oxidizer that breaks down organic compounds. In concentrated doses it will turn your skin brown as it kills it. I will burn your eyes and lungs and cause damage up to and including death with prolonged exposure to it. It makes it very hard to breath and gives you a hung over feeling for days. I have the scar tissue in my lungs to prove it. I realize the little piece of junk they sell has neither the power needed or the high tech electrical system to produce O3 at anywhere near those levels. As a matter of fact I doubt it has enough power to produce enough to "neutralize" the average persons body odors in an open situation such as a ladder stand or tripod. Used in tandem with a good scent control process, scent neutralizers and in a closed blind or even a pop up blind it may be a good tool in the tool box of scent control measures.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Ozone Generator [Re: passthru] #4975028 02/15/14 04:56 AM
H
Hirogen Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: passthru
I love the "just hunt the wind" advice. Go sit in my stands and see if you can get down wind. They always circle down wind. You either have a "gimmick" that works or you get busted.

Luckily I don't sit in your stands. As I said I prefer walk and stalk or in the rare instance where I use a stand I use natural features like rock faces or water bodies to ensure the deer cannot circle.. I find sitting in a stand over bait boring, but to each their own. If not hunting from a stand over bait, it is quite effective to play the wind as deer on the move, at a scrape, rub line or bedded down are not circling. And as to the effectiveness of the "gimmicks" I am still a skeptic as a whitetail has more scent receptors than a bloodhound and numerous experiments with dogs have shown that the gimmicks don't work. If a deer is downwind and does not spook it is not necessarily because it does not smell you. A deer in some instances may smell you and for whatever reason not perceive you as threat. This is especially true over bait if you are the person that does the baiting - they get used to your smell.

Last edited by Hirogen; 02/15/14 05:33 AM.

Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Re: Ozone Generator [Re: wisco-hunter] #4975242 02/15/14 02:03 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I successfully hunt (mostly with a bow) whitetails in two other states where baiting isn't allowed. The rifle hunters sit on the edges of corn and soybean fields and catch them crossing.
There you hunt trails, natural crossings, edges of bedding areas and funnels. Here everyone baits and if you don't hunt bait where I hunt here you won't kill one with your bow as it is the only concentrated food source. No acorns, no crops. I like leases with live oaks for that reason. Move section to section as the different trees drop. Unfortunately right now that ain't happening. With a rifle you can get up high and kill one, or walk one up if the lease rules allow it. With a bow it's a bit more of a challenge. I've not had much luck sneaking up and killing deer with my bow. Been close a couple times, missed a shot doing it. Pigs now I've taken some that way.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Ozone Generator [Re: wisco-hunter] #4976526 02/16/14 02:53 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
There have been a few bow hunters that brought one with them on a hunt with us. They seemed to feel it worked OK. I don't recall it spooking game so I don't see how it hurt anything.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide