Print Thread
What can Felon hunt with in Texas? #4782907 11/26/13 05:25 AM
D
DoveMaster Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
I've heard muzzleloader and maybe compound bow.... Have a family member that screwed up in life earlier on and was a convicted felon, and now trying to hunt... Is shotgun ok? probably not, but just throwing it out there.

Re: What can Felon hunt with in Texas? [Re: DoveMaster] #4782924 11/26/13 05:38 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Bow is all I know of.

Re: What can Felon hunt with in Texas? [Re: Sneaky] #4782943 11/26/13 05:54 AM
T
thedoveshooter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T

Re: What can Felon hunt with in Texas? [Re: thedoveshooter] #4783092 11/26/13 12:24 PM
T
TRoberts Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Archery tackle only unless the muzzleloader is manufactured before 1899 or replicates pre 1899.

Originally Posted by Sneaky
He gave me plenty.
Re: What can Felon hunt with in Texas? [Re: TRoberts] #4783454 11/26/13 02:54 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
That's a bummer. My Godson took the fall for his drunken, stupid ex when he said 'That's my beer, officer.' to keep her outta trouble, and the LEO charged him with child endangerment. He is also now a convicted felon, who I will take hunting. I guess I can be his proxy shooter, and let him have his deer. He is such a good kid, too bad he spoke without thinking...

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: What can Felon hunt with in Texas? [Re: Cast] #4783658 11/26/13 03:58 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Man, that sucks.

Re: What can Felon hunt with in Texas? [Re: Sneaky] #4783733 11/26/13 04:19 PM
G
Geezer Ranger Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
The Lyman Great Plains or Trade Rifle are quality muzzleloaders that replicate pre 1840 rifles. I have hunted with one in .50 cal for several years and they cannot be beat. They are very effective out to about 150 yards. They throw a big chuck of lead that is deadly on hogs and deer. And they are not that expensive at Cabelas, much less than the new in line muzzleloaders. And the best part is you have an extended season with a muzzleloader.

texas I am allergic to stupidity. You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts someone.
Re: What can Felon hunt with in Texas? [Re: Geezer Ranger] #4783756 11/26/13 04:27 PM
T
tth_40 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Geezer Ranger
The Lyman Great Plains or Trade Rifle are quality muzzleloaders that replicate pre 1840 rifles. I have hunted with one in .50 cal for several years and they cannot be beat. They are very effective out to about 150 yards. They throw a big chuck of lead that is deadly on hogs and deer. And they are not that expensive at Cabelas, much less than the new in line muzzleloaders. And the best part is you have an extended season with a muzzleloader.

This exactly. I have a TC Hawken replica in .50 cal. that does the same thing.

Originally Posted By: theserxtremedays
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Re: What can Felon hunt with in Texas? [Re: tth_40] #4783792 11/26/13 04:39 PM
D
Don Dial Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Most states do not allow a felon to reside where there is a firearm, some excuse a shotgun in the residence. The advice about the muzzleloaders was sound, but he also best be prepared to spend time and money learning to shoot one. There was a Dr. from Houston in the early '80's who shot a 3 shot group in 7" at 500 yds with a .69 cal. Zouave Most who shoot a rifle with a scope can't beat that off a bench at 2-300 yds.

Re: What can Felon hunt with in Texas? [Re: DoveMaster] #4784682 11/26/13 09:03 PM
G
GriffGruff78 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: DoveMaster
I've heard muzzleloader and maybe compound bow.... Have a family member that screwed up in life earlier on and was a convicted felon, and now trying to hunt... Is shotgun ok? probably not, but just throwing it out there.

This state is pretty tough on felons that want to hunt with firearms. After five years, a felon may legally posses a firearm - but only in his or her own home. To have firearms rights reinstated for hunting purposes, a felon must receive a full pardon from the governor, then the pardon must be confirmed by a board. Pardons aren't easy to come by.

A replica muzzleloader would be a lot easier.

Re: What can Felon hunt with in Texas? [Re: GriffGruff78] #4785319 11/27/13 12:38 AM
L
LFD2037 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I read somewhere after 10 years of not getting in trouble they can file w/the state & maybe be allowed to own 1 again. Could be total BS so ask a felony lawyer or the like.

R.I.P. CPO Matt Mills-(DEVGRU)- You will NEVER be forgotten!
10-25-75 / 8-6-11 *K.I.A.*
Re: What can Felon hunt with in Texas? [Re: LFD2037] #4785564 11/27/13 01:43 AM
S
soje Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
S
I'm not sure about the 10 years, but it is something like that. It also depends on the felony. If it was domestic violence, or any aggravated type case, then he's gonna have a hard time. For a majority of the non-violent crimes, you will have a second chance. If it's one of these lesser type of felonies, then he/she must not have an actual conviction on his/her record.

The primary question is; does this individual have an actual felony "conviction" on his/her record. The courts offer deferred adjudication, which is a program where people who are arrested for felonies can avoid having the actual conviction on their record. They have to have taken deferred adjudication, and must have successfully completed the program. There are some other situations that qualify, but they're rare, and your friend would probably know about them. Deferred adjudication is the most common.

Are you asking if he can borrow a gun to hunt with, or own a gun? In these cases where you do qualify to re-assume your 2nd amendment rights, the NICS doesn't appear to say weather you can handle, or use a firearm, but it does say weather you can have a gun transferred to yourself, for ownership.

The only way to find out if you can own a firearm, is to try to purchase one. I don't think NICS offers the info directly.

You can always call NICS. They probably can't give him the answer, but they're very helpful, and can probably steer him in the direction to who to find out.

I say all this, because I've asked these questions, and got 100 answers, 50/50 in complete opposition.

I know someone who had a felony drug possession, 13 years ago. He went on deferred adjudication, and completed it. We we're trying to get him to hunt, but he thought he could never own a gun again. He did his homework last year, and is now a legal owner of a pistol, and ar-15, a shotgun, and is in the process of getting a TX CHL.

Re: What can Felon hunt with in Texas? [Re: soje] #4785753 11/27/13 02:38 AM
T
TRoberts Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: soje
Are you asking if he can borrow a gun to hunt with, or own a gun? In these cases where you do qualify to re-assume your 2nd amendment rights, the NICS doesn't appear to say weather you can handle, or use a firearm, but it does say weather you can have a gun transferred to yourself, for ownership.

Texas states that a felon may not possess a firearm. That includes handling and possibly even be around one. 5 years after completion of sentence, said felon may possess a firearm in their residence for protection. Section 46.04 of Tx Penal Code.

The only way to find out if you can own a firearm, is to try to purchase one.

DO NOT DO THIS. He will not be able to buy one and could be prosecuted, federally, for attempting to purchase one.

Originally Posted by Sneaky
He gave me plenty.
Re: What can Felon hunt with in Texas? [Re: TRoberts] #4786168 11/27/13 05:40 AM
S
soje Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: troberts

Texas states that a felon may not possess a firearm. That includes handling and possibly even be around one. 5 years after completion of sentence, said felon may possess a firearm in their residence for protection. Section 46.04 of Tx Penal Code.

The only way to find out if you can own a firearm, is to try to purchase one.

DO NOT DO THIS. He will not be able to buy one and could be prosecuted, federally, for attempting to purchase one.

I should clarify. For specific felonies, you can take deferred adjudication. This will result in the person not receiving a conviction. The arrest shows, the sentence shows, but no conviction. After 10 years past the completion of deferred adjudication, NICS will allow you to transfer a gun.

I have first hand experience with this exact situation. It was a state jail felony, deferred adjudication, 10 years ago. No conviction. This person legally purchased 3 guns. The first was delayed, and he had to send NICS his court documents, proving he completed deferred, and was not convicted. He was then approved.

I didn't mean to get so long into this. It's hard to explain in short terms. I see this topic come up, and everyone sites that a felon can't have a gun, but there is so much more to it.

Re: What can Felon hunt with in Texas? [Re: soje] #4787106 11/27/13 03:59 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
From previous post:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/regulations/outdoor-annual/hunting/general-regulations/means-and-methods

Important

A convicted felon, regardless of where the conviction occurred, may not possess or use a firearm (as defined by Penal Code, §46.01) to hunt in this state.

This doesn't say anything about possessing or owning a firearm, it says a "convicted" felon may not possess or use a firearm to hunt in this state......

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PE/htm/PE.46.htm

(3) "Firearm" means any device designed, made, or adapted to expel a projectile through a barrel by using the energy generated by an explosion or burning substance or any device readily convertible to that use. Firearm does not include a firearm that may have, as an integral part, a folding knife blade or other characteristics of weapons made illegal by this chapter and that is:

(A) an antique or curio firearm manufactured before 1899;
or
(B) a replica of an antique or curio firearm manufactured before 1899, but only if the replica does not use rim fire or center fire ammunition.

Certainly not a lawyer but I would be careful about just which "muzzleloader". I think antique manufactured before 1899 or replica is important. A new scoped "inline" muzzleloader might not fit this definition.

2cents up

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: What can Felon hunt with in Texas? [Re: DoveMaster] #4787711 11/27/13 06:14 PM
D
DannyB Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: DoveMaster

I know of a felon that supposedly bought some kind of air gun to pig hunt with. I guess a pig isn't a game animal???

Whatever this air gun was would supposedly shoot some kind of pistol bullet I think about the size of a 44 at a velocity comparable to a firearm.

I never saw this gun and this was just hearsay. You might look into that if he wants to just hunt non-game animals.

Actually, in the back of the NRA magazines is an ad for I think some sort of air gun. I don't know anything more about that one either.

Re: What can Felon hunt with in Texas? [Re: DannyB] #4789495 11/28/13 06:56 AM
B
bowassin Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I'd just get a bow... More fun AnywY

Re: What can Felon hunt with in Texas? [Re: bowassin] #4789689 11/28/13 01:30 PM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
A class A assault family violence on your résumé can also hurt you and are more common than most people think.

Re: What can Felon hunt with in Texas? [Re: bowassin] #4789769 11/28/13 02:03 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: sav7mag

+1 and a replica Hawken is fun as well! The deer don't care what they are killed with!

Last edited by Jimbo; 11/28/13 02:04 PM.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: What can Felon hunt with in Texas? [Re: bowassin] #4790829 11/28/13 09:52 PM
B
Brandon82 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: sav7mag
+1

Re: What can Felon hunt with in Texas? [Re: Brandon82] #4790981 11/28/13 11:24 PM
D
DoveMaster Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
thanks everyone, great info

Re: What can Felon hunt with in Texas? [Re: DoveMaster] #4791097 11/29/13 12:42 AM
W
WillD Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
W
Here's another option:

Originally Posted By: Hunt n Fish
"Firearm" means any device designed, made, or adapted to expel a projectile through a barrel by using the energy generated by an explosion or burning substance or any device readily convertible to that use. Firearm does not include a firearm that may have, as an integral part, a folding knife blade or other characteristics of weapons made illegal by this chapter and that is:

Originally Posted By: DannyB
I know of a felon that supposedly bought some kind of air gun to pig hunt with. I guess a pig isn't a game animal???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tfKXfUvOSw

I took up airgunning recently to shoot more and spend less. There are some pretty impressive air rifles out there! I've only shot a few squirrels with mine but most are extremely accurate. I was shooting a chrono string recently and put 61 hots under a dime. A good .25 caliber air rifle will shoot through a coyote or penetrate the skull of a hog easily at 50 yds.

Check out Air Force air rifles built in Ft Worth!!!

Last edited by WillD; 11/29/13 12:46 AM.
Re: What can Felon hunt with in Texas? [Re: WillD] #4791926 11/29/13 01:37 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
With regard to Air Guns......

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/regulations/outdoor-annual/hunting/general-regulations/means-and-methods

Firearms

Game animals and game birds may be hunted with any legal firearm, except:
•white-tailed deer, mule deer, desert bighorn sheep, and pronghorn antelope may not be hunted with rimfire ammunition of any caliber.
•shotguns are the only legal firearm that may be used to hunt Eastern turkey during the spring Eastern turkey season (see County Listing). Rifles and handguns may not be used to hunt Eastern turkey.

•pellet guns and other air guns are not legal.
•fully automatic firearms are not legal.
•a shotgun is the only legal firearm for hunting migratory game birds (see Definitions - Legal Shotgun).
•Silencers may be used to take any wildlife resource; however, all federal, state and local laws continue to apply.

Nongame Animals (Non-Protected) may be hunted with any lawful firearm, pellet gun, or other air gun.

I think "hogs" are OK but if one is not sure might he/she might want to bone up on exactly what is a "game" animal in Texas.

Here's the link:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_k0700_0517.pdf

Note that Javelina are game animals......

up

Hmmmm...How many have shot a squirrel with a pellet rifle?

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: What can Felon hunt with in Texas? [Re: Hunt n Fish] #4792706 11/29/13 10:00 PM
W
WillD Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
W
Thank you HnF, I stand corrected.
They are still viable options for hogs at least.

-Will-

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide