Forums46
Topics537,029
Posts9,719,584
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 - 6.5 Creedmoor on sale at Cabelas [Re: blackcoal] #4759511 11/18/13 10:41 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: blackcoal

I have two Vanguards, 308 & 30-06, imagine my surprise when I bought a used Marlin XS7 in 243 Win, put a used Weaver 6x on it and got .75 groups off the tailgate of my truck. And I never read any articles, was just looking for a cheap truck/tractor gun.

I agree about wooden stocks, you could see a long way into the future when manufacturers started trying to sell us on the advantages of synthetic material made from soda straws.

Comment/observation of my own, most guns outshoot most shooters.

Yes, it seems Marlin is brand of rifle that doesn't catch a lot of deer hunter attention. I mean, how often do you see a truck or T-shirt with the Marlin logo on it.

I wonder if their stronger reputation for .22's has something to do with that?

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 - 6.5 Creedmoor on sale at Cabelas [Re: Texas Dan] #4760092 11/19/13 01:31 AM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Don't understand why some people take it so personal when someone shares information they don't agree with. The OP asks for information on how the Vanguard Series II shoots. While I don't own one, I simply shared information on how the gun performed in an independent test.

When I intend to spend good money on something, I want to hear both the good and bad from those who have used it.

So you have never shot one and would take the word of a writer as the expert? You have no idea what conditions he was shooting in or how good of a shot he is. Did he mount the scopes or someone else, was the Weatherby the first gun he shot or the last during his testing. Had the wind kicked up?
The OP asked for an opinion and you chose to give him someone else's opinion.
I have hunted with several of the top writers in the industry and I can assure you they don' t shoot any better than most of the guys on this forum.
There are also more "tests" showing that V2 shots exactly as advertised than not. Look up the Guns and Ammo Tests, Bugle Magazine, Petersons Hunting,and American Hunter. They all show excellent performance results.

Last edited by huntwest; 11/19/13 01:33 AM.
Re: Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 - 6.5 Creedmoor on sale at Cabelas [Re: huntwest] #4760120 11/19/13 01:38 AM
syncerus Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I've no dog in this fight, but I'd trust the people on this forum to tell the truth before I'd trust **any** magazine.

Magazines are for reading the latest ads and learning about new product launches, not for fact finding. There are way, way too many conflicts of interest.

Last edited by syncerus; 11/19/13 01:38 AM. Reason: speling

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 - 6.5 Creedmoor on sale at Cabelas [Re: huntwest] #4760276 11/19/13 02:16 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: huntwest
So you have never shot one and would take the word of a writer as the expert?

Absolutely, although not necessarily as an expert. Unlike an owner who would be more likely to defend his/her purchase, a well-informed writer who recognizes the need for being totally objective has no reason for bias.

Or perhaps you just don't believe that anyone who writes for a magazine can be a good judge of such things.

When I see a negative report on anything that I have purchased, the last thing I want to do is attack it as being false like some school kid. In this case, I would most likely want to learn what ammo was used in the test so I could avoid it. Most experienced shooters know all too well that most rifles shoot better with certain ammo.

Re: Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 - 6.5 Creedmoor on sale at Cabelas [Re: Texas Dan] #4760317 11/19/13 02:28 AM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H

Absolutely, although not necessarily as an expert. Unlike an owner who would be more likely to defend his/her purchase, a well-informed writer has no reason for bias.

Your kidding right? No reason for bias? The bigger companies not only spend millions advertising with these publications but they also take these writers, and only the very select ones that get the most exposure via their publications, on incredible hunts. They pay for everything and that always includes a new rifle. There is more bias in gun articles than in any other product tested or written about in the shooting industry.

Re: Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 - 6.5 Creedmoor on sale at Cabelas [Re: huntwest] #4760332 11/19/13 02:31 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

Absolutely, although not necessarily as an expert. Unlike an owner who would be more likely to defend his/her purchase, a well-informed writer has no reason for bias.

Your kidding right? No reason for bias? The bigger companies not only spend millions advertising with these publications but they also take these writers, and only the very select ones that get the most exposure via their publications, on incredible hunts. They pay for everything and that always includes a new rifle. There is more bias in gun articles than in any other product tested or written about in the shooting industry.

You're right. The potential loss of advertising dollars is what dictates what many writers choose to put in their articles. Everyone knows that subscribers really don't matter because what they pay does little to support production costs.

Re: Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 - 6.5 Creedmoor on sale at Cabelas [Re: Texas Dan] #4760397 11/19/13 02:51 AM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
You're right. The potential loss of advertising dollars is what dictates what many writers choose to put in their articles. Everyone knows that subscribers really don't matter because what they pay does little to support production costs.

That quote is the only absolute truth about magazines. Why do you think that there are not any magazines available that don't have advertising on every single page. The subscribers funds would not even pay for 1edition a year for any of them.
If a major magazine doesn't support it's advertisers they go find one that will.

Re: Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 - 6.5 Creedmoor on sale at Cabelas [Re: huntwest] #4761424 11/19/13 03:28 PM
H
Huntmaster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Read Gun Test Magazine for accurate
Reports.

Re: Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 - 6.5 Creedmoor on sale at Cabelas [Re: Texas Dan] #4762202 11/19/13 07:58 PM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/gun-nuts/2012/02/rifle-review-weatherby-vanguard-series-2

Here is the Field and Streams article. I think it praises the gun by the way.

Re: Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 - 6.5 Creedmoor on sale at Cabelas [Re: huntwest] #4762375 11/19/13 08:52 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/gun-nuts/2012/02/rifle-review-weatherby-vanguard-series-2

Here is the Field and Streams article. I think it praises the gun by the way.

Given that Weatherby is an active advertiser, the author better have something good to say about it.

Still, this is not the article that I referenced earlier because it only rates the Vanguard Series II. The article that I referenced included the results of shooting tests performed on several rifles, with the Marlin X7 being the surprise performer.

Perhaps this is a later article meant to cover the results included in earlier field test.

Re: Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 - 6.5 Creedmoor on sale at Cabelas [Re: Huntmaster] #4762376 11/19/13 08:52 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Huntmaster
Read Gun Test Magazine for accurate
Reports.

Good info. Thanks for sharing.

Re: Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 - 6.5 Creedmoor on sale at Cabelas [Re: Texas Dan] #4762566 11/19/13 09:56 PM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I quit reading Gun Tests many years ago when they selected the A-Bolt over a 700 and other rifles because they liked the glossy polyurethane stock.

loco

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 - 6.5 Creedmoor on sale at Cabelas [Re: blackcoal] #4763148 11/20/13 01:47 AM
F
fast88 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
I have owned a series one in 257 wb and a series two in 300 wsm. Both shot 1/2 in easy with reloads. I would buy another one in a heartbeat

Re: Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 - 6.5 Creedmoor on sale at Cabelas [Re: RiverRider] #4763619 11/20/13 03:44 AM
T
tth_40 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: RiverRider
I quit reading Gun Tests many years ago when they selected the A-Bolt over a 700 and other rifles because they liked the glossy polyurethane stock.

loco

Boomalakachaka. cheers

Originally Posted By: theserxtremedays
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Re: Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 - 6.5 Creedmoor on sale at Cabelas [Re: RiverRider] #4766154 11/21/13 12:26 AM
syncerus Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: RiverRider

loco

I used to subscribe and found them idiosyncratic. At the end of the day, I trust the people here more.

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide