Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
how does a felon go hunting #472173 11/03/08 04:09 AM
10pointdoe Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
my brother has a felony. It is from the early 90's. cocaine possesion. He served 4 months in the county jail. Now, a felon cant shoot a gun. Is there a way they can get a pass to go hunting ?

Last edited by 10pointdoe; 11/04/08 06:07 PM.
Re: how does a felon go hunting [Re: 10pointdoe] #472174 11/03/08 04:11 AM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
Maybe with a bow!

Re: how does a felon go hunting [Re: BMD] #472175 11/03/08 04:16 AM
W
whistler Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
I'am not sure but maybe could he use a muzzle loader like the one I use cva optima pro it will push a 250gr bullet to 1800fps

Last edited by whistler; 11/03/08 04:21 AM.

we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
Re: how does a felon go hunting [Re: whistler] #472176 11/03/08 04:24 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
It has to a muzzle loader and in the antique or replica antique category. The modern inline muzzle loaders don't qualify. Either that or bow hunting.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: how does a felon go hunting [Re: dogcatcher] #472177 11/03/08 11:58 AM
B
Bowmaster Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
If your brother has been off of probation or parole for 5 years, he can hunt with a rifle or shot gun. Have him call to confirm this with a criminal atty. Otherwise, a bow or antique firearm or replica of an antique fire arm is the only way.

"The greatest gift God has given Me is the opportunity to live life again vicariously through the eyes of My children"
Re: how does a felon go hunting [Re: Bowmaster] #472178 11/03/08 01:30 PM
P
psycho0819 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Cross bow is not considered a firearm.

But yeah, there is a time line after which he could file to have certain rights re-instated. Depending on the crime, he should be able to hunt again. Especially since his is not a violent crime.

Jay

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.

The end of the world began the day it was created, and life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease.

Re: how does a felon go hunting [Re: dogcatcher] #472179 11/03/08 01:33 PM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

It has to a muzzle loader and in the antique or replica antique category. The modern inline muzzle loaders don't qualify. Either that or bow hunting.

agree on that. About the 5 year and one can use a firearm, I don't think so. An attorney may tell him that, but it is and continues to be an arrestable offense, with no 5 year grace period. FYI, the people we have arrested for Felon in possession of a firearm, have been prosecuted Federally, not by the State. Worse deal on the fed deal, one does time as sentenced, day by day. I have seen where the feds have picked up cases with a person for having just ammo. Seems like they don't play around with this one.

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: how does a felon go hunting [Re: Bowmaster] #472180 11/03/08 01:52 PM
T
thorn4570 Online Happy
Veteran Tracker
Online Happy
Veteran Tracker
T
Quote:

If your brother has been off of probation or parole for 5 years, he can hunt with a rifle or shot gun. Have him call to confirm this with a criminal atty. Otherwise, a bow or antique firearm or replica of an antique fire arm is the only way.

i have read that to. but i am not sure on the details.

I once drank muddy water out of a hoof print and was dang glad to get it.
Re: how does a felon go hunting [Re: thorn4570] #472181 11/03/08 02:21 PM
jeh7mmmag Offline
gramps
gramps

�Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in,
where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul.�
~ John Muir
Re: how does a felon go hunting [Re: jeh7mmmag] #472182 11/03/08 02:34 PM
S
safarigene Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Here is the copied text from the Texas Penal Code:

§ 46.04. UNLAWFUL POSSESSION OF FIREARM. (a) A person
who has been convicted of a felony commits an offense if he
possesses a firearm:
(1) after conviction and before the fifth anniversary
of the person's release from confinement following conviction of
the felony or the person's release from supervision under community
supervision, parole, or mandatory supervision, whichever date is
later; or
(2) after the period described by Subdivision (1), at
any location other than the premises at which the person lives.

As far as hunting goes, it would be safe to bet that unless they are hunting from their house they would likely go to jail.

Re: how does a felon go hunting [Re: safarigene] #472183 11/03/08 03:09 PM
S
Smoker1 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
But the subsection 1 reads, before the fifth anniversary of the persons release.
And he stated that the offense occurred in the early 90's.
He has well cleared his 5 year requirement. So sounds to me like he is clear.

Re: how does a felon go hunting [Re: Smoker1] #472184 11/03/08 04:40 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Online Happy
duck & cover
Online Happy
duck & cover
OR is the key word from the passage...Or at any location other than the premises...

Muzzleloader...
Crossbow...
Spear like Rambo...

Watch the feds....saw a guy go to prison once for deer hunting 200 miles from his wife who had a protective order against him....was in possession of a firearm..., and feds got involved over "interstate commerce in the commission of a crime" because he used Remington ammo...made in Arkansas... he's doing 15 years...

Re: how does a felon go hunting [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #472185 11/04/08 01:57 AM
B
Bowmaster Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
As I had said, It would be best to contact a Lawyer and ask Specific Questions.
I have a friend that was busted for Felony Theft 8 years ago. Got 2 years probation and is past his 5 years. He is still using a bow because of the uncertainty of the State and Federal Laws.

"The greatest gift God has given Me is the opportunity to live life again vicariously through the eyes of My children"
Re: how does a felon go hunting [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #472186 11/04/08 11:50 AM
O
OFBHWG Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
O
SIG IS RIGHT. HE CAN NEVER USE A GUN FOR ANYTHING. IF HE GETS CAUGHT HE IS IN BIG TROUBLE.FOREVER.

When you need a Piano moved there is always someone around to help you with the stool!
Re: how does a felon go hunting [Re: OFBHWG] #472187 11/04/08 12:29 PM
B
BlackSnake Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Unless your felony was Differed, it will always be. The 5 year period is where you don't have to address it on a job application.

Bow hunting for the man is about all he gets.

Re: how does a felon go hunting [Re: BlackSnake] #472188 11/04/08 12:57 PM
G
gfarley Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G
The laws are vague and state and federal laws often contradict one another. Thereis even reference to "deadly weapon". Doubt you will find an lawyer willing to sign off on the firearm without having the charge expunged from his record.

Dozer, mulched, and trackhoe work. Fencelines, senderos, tanks. Let me know if I can help with any dirtwork or construction.
Re: how does a felon go hunting [Re: gfarley] #472189 11/04/08 01:41 PM
R
robbf213 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Read all of this Penal Code statute. He can use a firearm on his own property five years after final adjudication. Five years is determined as being after any requirements placed on him such as probation, mandatory or community supervision etc. And only on the property where he lives.

§ 46.04. UNLAWFUL POSSESSION OF FIREARM. (a) A person
who has been convicted of a felony commits an offense if he
possesses a firearm:
(1) after conviction and before the fifth anniversary
of the person's release from confinement following conviction of
the felony or the person's release from supervision under community
supervision, parole, or mandatory supervision, whichever date is
later; or
(2) after the period described by Subdivision (1), at
any location other than the premises at which the person lives.
(b) A person who has been convicted of an offense under
Section 22.01, punishable as a Class A misdemeanor and involving a
member of the person's family or household, commits an offense if
the person possesses a firearm before the fifth anniversary of the
later of:
(1) the date of the person's release from confinement
following conviction of the misdemeanor; or
(2) the date of the person's release from community
supervision following conviction of the misdemeanor.
(c) A person, other than a peace officer, as defined by
Section 1.07, actively engaged in employment as a sworn, full-time
paid employee of a state agency or political subdivision, who is
subject to an order issued under Section 6.504 or Chapter 85, Family
Code, under Article 17.292 or Chapter 7A, Code of Criminal
Procedure, or by another jurisdiction as provided by Chapter 88,
Family Code, commits an offense if the person possesses a firearm
after receiving notice of the order and before expiration of the
order.
(d) In this section, "family," "household," and "member of a
household" have the meanings assigned by Chapter 71, Family Code.
(e) An offense under Subsection (a) is a felony of the third
degree. An offense under Subsection (b) or (c) is a Class A
misdemeanor.

Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, § 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974.
Renumbered from Penal Code § 46.05 and amended by Acts 1993, 73rd
Leg., ch. 900, § 1.01, eff. Sept. 1, 1994. Amended by Acts 2001,
77th Leg., ch. 23, § 2, eff. Sept. 1, 2001; Acts 2003, 78th Leg.,
ch. 836, § 4, eff. Sept. 1, 2003.

Re: how does a felon go hunting [Re: robbf213] #472190 11/04/08 05:34 PM
S
Stump_jumper Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
S
He can seek an exemption or pardon from the governor's office.

2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4
2006 Champion 2200 Bay Boat
Re: how does a felon go hunting *DELETED* [Re: Stump_jumper] #472191 11/04/08 05:50 PM
T
txsuperman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Post deleted by txsuperman

[Linked Image]
Re: how does a felon go hunting [Re: txsuperman] #472192 11/04/08 06:25 PM
H
Hman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
And to think, I was gonna run out and commit a Felony this afternoon... I guess I can't now.

"Rules is Rules".

If we were tougher on them, there would be less Felonies committed. Good day gentlemen...

Re: how does a felon go hunting [Re: Hman] #472193 11/04/08 06:40 PM
T
tmart Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
My cousin was off parole a couple of years ago and had to apply with the ATF. He is now hunting with a rifle. So I would check with an attorney and ATF.

Re: how does a felon go hunting [Re: txsuperman] #472194 11/04/08 11:34 PM
R
robbf213 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Quote:

I hunt with a guy who has 2 felonies. I've been hunting with him for 15 yrs. We get checked by the game wardens at least once in dove season and several times in deer season. All they do is ask for our hunting license. I know it's a risk, but he does it and hasn't had an issue in 15yrs.

He will eventually. Some GW's run a criminal history check on the majority of the people they contact in the field. If this happens to your buddy, he is screwed. One of the GW's I know that does this consistantly called one in this past weekend. The guy came back wanted for capital murder of a peace officer.

Re: how does a felon go hunting [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #472195 11/05/08 03:47 AM
R
Redneck Messiah Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Quote:

OR is the key word from the passage...Or at any location other than the premises...

Muzzleloader...
Crossbow...
Spear like Rambo...

Watch the feds....saw a guy go to prison once for deer hunting 200 miles from his wife who had a protective order against him....was in possession of a firearm..., and feds got involved over "interstate commerce in the commission of a crime" because he used Remington ammo...made in Arkansas... he's doing 15 years...

yeah, i think i know that guy to

Originally Posted By: cody
...give it to a homeless guy...he won't mind the stiffness
Re: how does a felon go hunting [Re: 10pointdoe] #472196 11/05/08 07:15 PM
T
TXBowhunter1 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Quote:

my brother has a felony. It is from the early 90's. cocaine possesion. He served 4 months in the county jail. Now, a felon cant shoot a gun. Is there a way they can get a pass to go hunting ?

simple...just use a bow.

Re: how does a felon go hunting [Re: 10pointdoe] #3465179 08/11/12 11:15 PM
T
ttuoutdoorsman Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
T
THE BELOW APPLIES TO TEXAS RESIDENTS ONLY
(All others please refer to the laws in your own state.)

I am a convicted felon who purchases and owns many firearms. Legally.

I got tired of reading all of the inaccurate information I came across on the internet. Here are the facts. Again, the following applies to Texas residents only and can be found by simply researching the Texas Penal Code, which I have listed at the bottom.

MUZZLELOADERS
There is no 5-year waiting period to purchase or own a muzzleloader. If a person got out of prison yesterday, they can walk into any dealer today and walk out with a muzzleloader with no background check. Keep in mind that this exception does not apply to muzzleloaders which have barrels that can be interchanged in order to fire centerfire ammunition. (ie. Encore and Sportsman models.) Simply ask the person behind the counter if you are unsure. Most retailers like Cabelas, etc. advertise which models don't require an ATF Form 4473 background check.

RIMFIRE and CENTERFIRE (Pistols, shotguns, rifles, etc.)
Convicted felons must wait 5 years from the date of their release from confinement or probation before they can purchase and/or own a centerfire firearm. Understand that even after the 5-year waiting period, a convicted felon will not be able to purchase a centerfire firearm from a dealer or retail store.

However, with that said, a convicted felon CAN purchase a centerfire firearm from an individual seller at a gun show or from a classified ad, etc. after the 5-year waiting period. The individual seller can also legally transfer the firearm into the convicted felons name. See Sec. 46.06 below.

Keep in mind that even though a convicted felon can purchase and own a centerfire firearm after the 5-year waiting period, they can only possess it in his or her own residence.

Many felons ask about their ability to use a firearm to hunt. See the law below. As for muzzleloaders, the same law applies… there is no waiting period or limitation other than the exception regarding muzzleloaders with interchangeable barrels. As stated below, the law says that a convicted felon may not hunt with a centerfire firearm, only a muzzleloader manufactured before 1899 or a replica. (Any new muzzleloader is considered a replica.)

However, it is unclear whether or not the “your own residence” clause under Sec. 46.04. would apply to hunting. For example, I hunt with centerfire firearms on my own deer lease. If I were ever arrested on my deer lease for being in possession of a centerfire firearm, I would strongly argue in court that land I own is technically “my residence.”

With that said, hunt at your own risk. I’m just an avid 2nd Amendment supporter and refuse to have my rights stripped away by the government I’m supposed to control. I don’t see anywhere in the Constitution where it says that you have the right to bear arms, unless you’re a convicted felon. Personally, I think it’s completely illogical to ban firearms from felons who were convicted of non-violent crimes. But I digress… Below are the laws as written.

TEXAS PARKS AND WILDLIFE
Possession of firearms by felons: A convicted felon, regardless of where the conviction occurred, may not possess or use a firearm (as defined by Penal Code, §46.01) to hunt in this state. Under Penal Code, §46.01, a muzzleloading firearm is lawful if it is an antique or curio firearm manufactured before 1899 or a replica of an antique or curio firearm manufactured before 1899 that does not use rimfire or centerfire ammunition.

Texas Penal Code Sec. 46.01. DEFINITIONS.
(3) "Firearm" means any device designed, made, or adapted to expel a projectile through a barrel by using the energy generated by an explosion or burning substance or any device readily convertible to that use. Firearm does not include a firearm that may have, as an integral part, a folding knife blade or other characteristics of weapons made illegal by this chapter and that is:

(A) an antique or curio firearm manufactured before 1899; or

(B) a replica of an antique or curio firearm manufactured before 1899, but only if the replica does not use rim fire or center fire ammunition.

Texas Penal Code Sec. 46.04. UNLAWFUL POSSESSION OF FIREARM.
(a) A person who has been convicted of a felony commits an offense if he possesses a firearm;

(1) after conviction and before the fifth anniversary of the person's release from confinement following conviction of the felony or the person's release from supervision under community supervision, parole, or mandatory supervision, whichever date is later; or

(2) after the period described by Subdivision (1), at any location other than the premises at which the person lives.

Texas Penal Code Sec. 46.06. UNLAWFUL TRANSFER OF CERTAIN WEAPONS.
(a) A person commits an offense if the person:

(1) sells, rents, leases, loans, or gives a handgun to any person knowing that the person to whom the handgun is to be delivered intends to use it unlawfully or in the commission of an unlawful act;

(2) intentionally or knowingly sells, rents, leases, or gives or offers to sell, rent, lease, or give to any child younger than 18 years any firearm, club, or illegal knife;

(3) intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly sells a firearm or ammunition for a firearm to any person who is intoxicated;

(4) knowingly sells a firearm or ammunition for a firearm to any person who has been convicted of a felony before the fifth anniversary of the later of the following dates:

(A) the person's release from confinement following conviction of the felony; or

(B) the person's release from supervision under community supervision, parole, or mandatory supervision following conviction of the felony;

(5) sells, rents, leases, loans, or gives a handgun to any person knowing that an active protective order is directed to the person to whom the handgun is to be delivered; or

(6) knowingly purchases, rents, leases, or receives as a loan or gift from another a handgun while an active protective order is directed to the actor.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide