Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: dogcatcher] #4614662 09/30/13 04:42 AM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
And how many do you think are cruising a hunting forum and being shocked that a hunting picture has a little blood in it?

Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: Sneaky] #4614675 09/30/13 04:55 AM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
And how many do you think are cruising a hunting forum and being shocked that a hunting picture has a little blood in it?

I think it is a matter of respect to the game we take to take nice pictures. If you look at the pictures taken by most outfitters you will see most will show that respect, it is the others that fall a little short.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: dogcatcher] #4614796 09/30/13 11:04 AM
C
Chadillac Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
I agree with SS somewhat. Whatever I shoot, I eat. I haven't donated b/c I put in the work, I paid the money, so I am going to eat it. I might give 1 or 2 packages to close family but everyone else can kiss my butt. Also, I don't shoot hogs and let them lay and comp out by saying "that'ell feed the wildlife real good" or shoot coons and say "I paid for that corn so it's justified". No way, if I shoot a hog then the works not over yet. If I shoot a coon then I start looking for a good coon recipe. That's my opinion but to conclude what I am saying, if someone else wants to donate, then great, but I choose not to.

Last edited by Chadillac; 09/30/13 11:05 AM.

Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: dogcatcher] #4614841 09/30/13 11:43 AM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
The anti hunters are not the ones I would care about offending, it is the non hunting public that we should be considerate of. They not only outnumber us, they can be persuaded by the anti hunters to become anti. up

This is the correct point of view, I believe. It's like a presidential election....the independent voters will decide who wins, not the committed Dems or the GOP. And the great middle ground of non-hunting citizens will ultimately determine whether our grandchildren will continue to hunt. So, we hunters are obligated to put our sport into the best light possible for everyone out there, not just fellow hunters.

Giving meat to food banks and non-hunting friends projects a good image of hunting, just as taking a kid with you to the lease does the same.

And from personal experience, try selling a hunting story to an outdoor magazine with gory and bloody photos. If you don't take care to make a pleasing picture, or one that can be photo-shopped clean, you won't even get a foot in the editor's door.

This arrogant, bunker, small-minded, GTH mentality espoused by many here on the forum unthinkingly works to ultimately kill the sport we love.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: dawaba] #4614906 09/30/13 12:37 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I agree dawaba.

I also note with interest some espousing the "effect on non-hunters who control our fate" argument here ignore it on other subjects with far more impact....

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: dawaba] #4614933 09/30/13 12:50 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: dawaba
The anti hunters are not the ones I would care about offending, it is the non hunting public that we should be considerate of. They not only outnumber us, they can be persuaded by the anti hunters to become anti. up

This is the correct point of view, I believe. It's like a presidential election....the independent voters will decide who wins, not the committed Dems or the GOP. And the great middle ground of non-hunting citizens will ultimately determine whether our grandchildren will continue to hunt. So, we hunters are obligated to put our sport into the best light possible for everyone out there, not just fellow hunters.

Giving meat to food banks and non-hunting friends projects a good image of hunting, just as taking a kid with you to the lease does the same.

And from personal experience, try selling a hunting story to an outdoor magazine with gory and bloody photos. If you don't take care to make a pleasing picture, or one that can be photo-shopped clean, you won't even get a foot in the editor's door.

This arrogant, bunker, small-minded, GTH mentality espoused by many here on the forum unthinkingly works to ultimately kill the sport we love.

H n F likes this!

I have a couple of friends who cannot hunt and each year I call & ask how they are doing. If they're low or having a hard time I'll put something in their freezer. I haven't had one of them complain about my hunting activities.

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: Hunt n Fish] #4614954 09/30/13 12:58 PM
M
Marc K Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
It would appear that political correctness in the form of "fear of offending a non hunter" is at the core of this thread. Seems like that's what our country is coming to.

That's sad.

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: Marc K] #4614980 09/30/13 01:08 PM
C
Chadillac Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Marc Kurth
It would appear that political correctness in the form of "fear of offending a non hunter" is at the core of this thread. Seems like that's what our country is coming to.

That's sad.

That being said, we should treat them with the same respect we would want.

Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: dogcatcher] #4614981 09/30/13 01:10 PM
C
Chadillac Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
I think it is a matter of respect to the game we take to take nice pictures. If you look at the pictures taken by most outfitters you will see most will show that respect, it is the others that fall a little short.

I agree

Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: Marc K] #4614982 09/30/13 01:10 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I killed thirty pigs in the last 12 months. Twenty eight of them I've donated. I donated three deer last fall as well. I eat mostly venison when it comes to red meat but I kill far more than me and my family can consume. And yes I said "kill". I enjoy hunting and taking game. I'm not apologizing for it. And as far as the OP's question on him being an a-hole I think that was established a long time ago. But unfortunately we all portray that trait from time to time.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: txshntr] #4614990 09/30/13 01:12 PM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
I kill stuff for fun all the time with 0 intention of ever eating it....

Most of the time when I hunt birds I am giving the meat away.

When I hunt deer I will give the meat away, I just never get around to cooking it, I would rather have beef most times anyway.

I dont hunt for the same reasons as you.I hunt for the thrill of the hunt and/or the trophy, couldn't care less about the meat.

Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: Marc K] #4614991 09/30/13 01:12 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H

That's sad.

Hmmmm!

Never thought twice about political correctness when we were over run with does and I asked friends, some of whom once hunted with me, whether they were doing OK and if they could use some venison. Also never thought twice about political correctness when I have more tags than I can use and take a deer to a processor who participates in "Hunters for the Hungry" and pay for the processing.

That's OK, everyone gets to have an opinion!

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: Hunt n Fish] #4615001 09/30/13 01:18 PM
O
okierifleman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
O
I usually shoot 2-3 trophy bucks every year. I eat none of it. I am just not a fan of whitetail meat. I shoot 2 or 3 exotics that I live on the whole year. I take the whitetails and have them all processed. I have people lined up who don't hunt but want the meat. Not an ounce of it goes to waste. Does that make me less of a hunter? Giving meat to someone who wants it or needs it? Just because some of you don't give any of your meat away doesn't mean you should sit there and judge those of us that do.

Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: Chadillac] #4615360 09/30/13 03:10 PM
M
Marc K Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Chadillac

That's sad.

That being said, we should treat them with the same respect we would want.

Good hunting ethics and respect for the animals go hand and hand. I did not mean to infer otherwise.

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: Marc K] #4615563 09/30/13 04:08 PM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I will try to put it another way, would your mother or grandmother's prefer the photos of blood and guts or would they prefer the nicer professional look? If you say the first, then I think your problem is the way you were raised. up

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: dogcatcher] #4615626 09/30/13 04:30 PM
B
Bdontexoma Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
stir

Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: txshntr] #4615665 09/30/13 04:45 PM
T
TEXAN1970 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
If some people don't have something to bitch about they invent something. SS are you that person!!!!!

Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: dogcatcher] #4615712 09/30/13 05:05 PM
A
aggiehunter03 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
A
I will try to put it another way, would your mother or grandmother's prefer the photos of blood and guts or would they prefer the nicer professional look? If you say the first, then I think your problem is the way you were raised. up

My Mom prefers the blood and guts but she hunts more than most people on this forum and has been an RN for over 30 years. Think she raised me right too. Grandmothers don't mind it either. Both sides of my family was raised to eat meat and no one on either side thinks it comes from a grocery store.

The rest of this post is funny but here is my 2 cents:

1. I kill every coon I can and I am not about to eat one of the nasty bastages.

2. I kill every hog I can and almost all of them get drug off for the buzzards. As a landowner, they are enemy number 1 and I hope they all die. In fact I killed one last night and he is probably still there. People tell me all the time they want a hog so I call when I shoot one and the answer is always "well I'm busy right now".

3. I give away whitetail meat to anyone that asks for it and this year I plan to donate it to Hunters for the Hungry. Damn sure don't feel bad about sharing what I'm blessed to have.

4. I don't give a what any PETA person or other libtard hippy thinks about me hunting. Although it is now popular among some of them to eat "wild game" because it is "green" (Whatever the heck that means).

Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: aggiehunter03] #4615768 09/30/13 05:28 PM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
I don't eat green meat. That's nasty.

Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: Chadillac] #4615778 09/30/13 05:33 PM
H
Hunt2Fish Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
I agree with SS somewhat. Whatever I shoot, I eat. I haven't donated b/c I put in the work, I paid the money, so I am going to eat it. I might give 1 or 2 packages to close family but everyone else can kiss my butt. Also, I don't shoot hogs and let them lay and comp out by saying "that'ell feed the wildlife real good" or shoot coons and say "I paid for that corn so it's justified". No way, if I shoot a hog then the works not over yet. If I shoot a coon then I start looking for a good coon recipe. That's my opinion but to conclude what I am saying, if someone else wants to donate, then great, but I choose not to.

Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: Hunt2Fish] #4615804 09/30/13 05:41 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
I'll have someone lined up to give a deer to before I pull the trigger. I'm not messing with a hog or varmint. Would rather put domestic pork in the freezer...and maybe trade off few feral hogs for a bunch of tamales.

Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: Sneaky] #4615805 09/30/13 05:41 PM
C
Chadillac Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C

Have you tried it?

Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: Hunt2Fish] #4615810 09/30/13 05:44 PM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
after reading this thread, I think Im gonna shoot something this weekend and just let it lay out of spite....

Oh, and Ill probably give away all the doves I kill too.

Just kidding, I was gonna do it anyway.

Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: Chadillac] #4615826 09/30/13 05:51 PM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S

Have you tried it?

No. I eat red meat.

Re: donate the meat?wth [Re: Sneaky] #4615862 09/30/13 06:06 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I leave hogs for the yotes and buzzards too. The "holier than thous" are not landowners who have to go out and find another chunk of pasture torn up. Hogs are like roaches and rats to me. I'll be ****ed if they are going to tear my land up and make me do a minutes work skinning their nasty butts.

And y'all can preach all you want I ain't listening. smile

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide