emoji colt.45
best one was epasode on cheers, flag

Re: Snipe Hunting [Re: 1860.colt] #4709040 10/31/13 08:28 PM
C
camartin Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
My BIL and I decided to have a squirrel hunting contest when I lived in NC and so he and his BIL went one way and my nephew and I went another. Long story short, he jumps this bird, thought it was some kind of a quail, and shoots it. Well he had grown up only hunting fur bearers and so he brings it back to the house and I prove to him it is a snipe. My nephew and I had shot 5 squirrels in the 2 hour hunt and they had shot 7. He says "I will clean your squirrels if you show me how to clean this bird. I don't know, maybe 2 minutes later I am done with my instruction and go in while they sit and clean all the squirrels. Never have seen another snipe but, that one made my day.

Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.
Mark Twain
Re: Snipe Hunting [Re: camartin] #4714454 11/03/13 02:03 AM
O
Octopiston Offline
Tracker
Tracker
O
I was a scout master for years. One troop in OK had a kid (I can't remember his name so l'll use Paul) that they had been taking snipe hunting before I moved into the area. Paul had been shown pictures of real snipes and was instructed to whistle for them and they run into the pillow case. At that point he was to pound the pillowcase on the ground with the snipe inside to kill the bird.
One of my first times out with this troop was a large camporee in Missouri with several councils. Paul brought up snipe hunting and wanted to go. It was a small group, and had a couple new kids so we went as a troop. The new guys were very skeptical, but that Paul was gung-ho about going.
So we're out in the dark in a clearing. The "hunters" out front whistling. An older boy (Rhett) and I grabbed a couple rocks and threw them into the brush and told them it was the snipe dropping out of the trees. Paul keeps whistling while the older boy egged him on. He kept whispering thing like, "I see it moving" and "any minute." After a little while I grabbed a rock about the size of an apple, said "There it is!" and stepped in front of Paul while I tossed the rock back into his pillow case. He felt the tug, jumped up, did a Charlie Brown dance while yelling " I finally got one." He then started swinging the pillowcase over his head pounding it on the ground. When we got him to stop. He marveled at the weight and wanted to look at his snipe. We told him it was better to wait until we were back at camp so his dad could see it too. On the walk back I threw another rock into the brush and Rhett said, "It's another snipe." Paul set up again. We went through the whole thing and this time another boy tossed a second rock into his pillowcase. Paul jumps up and pounds his pillowcase on the ground several times. He is now beside himself with joy at having caught not one, but two of the elusive snipe. We hike back to camp passing several others troops. Along the way Paul is telling everyone that he has just caught two snipe. The replies he received were along the lines of "sure you did."
We get back to camp. His dad is setting there grinning. Paul opens his pillowcase in the glow of the campfire and pull out the rocks. His jaw dropped and his face went blank. "A rock? All of this and they're just rocks?" We all started laughing. He was mad at first and then joined in laughing.
I have to say he was a good sport about it. When we got back he retold the story himself laughing the whole time.

Last edited by Octopiston; 11/03/13 02:04 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide