Page 1 of 2 1 2
New Texas CHL Laws kicking in Sept 1st #4490486 08/19/13 12:31 AM
B
Bang4Buck Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
B
Hello everyone. New to the forum and also a new CHL holder. Figured I would offer a few new facts that may help people for my first post.

Curious to hear opinions on new laws kicking in September 1 in Texas. Some of these include:

1 - Auto/switchblade knives will be legal (still have 5.5 inch limit)

2 - language to clarify the unintentional display of a firearm by a concealed handgun licensee. The language changed from “failure to conceal” to “intentional display of a weapon in a public place” when force or deadly force is not authorized.

3 - Only 4 hours class time to get a new CHL (still have about 1.5 hours on range to qualify). Don't flame me, but I have mixed emotions on this one. I actually enjoyed the education and part of me feels people are being short-changed by not having a full education on the laws.

Thoughts?

Re: New Texas CHL Laws kicking in Sept 1st [Re: Bang4Buck] #4491828 08/19/13 02:36 PM
C
Chadillac Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
I believe safety should be first. Not sure how this will actually affect the safety but it's not helping it. Although, I still haven't got my CHL (keep putting it off) so I have mixed feelings about it as well.

Re: New Texas CHL Laws kicking in Sept 1st [Re: Chadillac] #4492049 08/19/13 03:42 PM
91cavgt Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Having taken the CHL class and carry on a regular basis, a shorter class room time frame is no biggie. There was SO much time wasted in our class and other classes as well just trying to fill the time.

I do like the change in the wording of the law.

God has a plan and something special in mind for all of us. Do you know the direction that God wants to send you?
Re: New Texas CHL Laws kicking in Sept 1st [Re: 91cavgt] #4492632 08/19/13 06:58 PM
G
gusick Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
I think four hours is plenty.

Re: New Texas CHL Laws kicking in Sept 1st [Re: gusick] #4492695 08/19/13 07:20 PM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: gusick

Re: New Texas CHL Laws kicking in Sept 1st [Re: gusick] #4494458 08/20/13 11:21 AM
B
BaylorRT Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: gusick

As a CHL holder for over 11 years I agree

Re: New Texas CHL Laws kicking in Sept 1st [Re: BaylorRT] #4494798 08/20/13 01:48 PM
T
target1911 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
I agree too. There was so much wasted time trying to meet the time requirement.

I also like the fact you no longer need to take a renewal class.

"A good life is never too short"
My Dad
Re: New Texas CHL Laws kicking in Sept 1st [Re: target1911] #4495542 08/20/13 05:13 PM
O
one73maro Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
O
The auto knives still have to be single edged. Duel edged blades are still illegal.

Re: New Texas CHL Laws kicking in Sept 1st [Re: target1911] #4496585 08/20/13 11:36 PM
S
Shooter75056 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: target1911
I agree too. There was so much wasted time trying to meet the time requirement.

I also like the fact you no longer need to take a renewal class.

Are you sure about no class for renewal?

Re: New Texas CHL Laws kicking in Sept 1st [Re: Bang4Buck] #4496996 08/21/13 01:18 AM
S
Slow Drifter Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I've heard rumors that starting 9/1 you can qualify with a wheel-gun and carry whatever you want. Makes sense as this isn't a weapons class, but a law class.

Any word on this? Just curious.

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: New Texas CHL Laws kicking in Sept 1st [Re: Slow Drifter] #4497649 08/21/13 04:35 AM
D
DTCOOPER Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Yep renewals can be done all online. And no differentiation for types of handgun.

Daniel
Just Because... That's why.
Re: New Texas CHL Laws kicking in Sept 1st [Re: 91cavgt] #4498316 08/21/13 02:19 PM
B
Bang4Buck Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
B
Originally Posted By: 91cavgt
Having taken the CHL class and carry on a regular basis, a shorter class room time frame is no biggie. There was SO much time wasted in our class and other classes as well just trying to fill the time.

I do like the change in the wording of the law.

I hear you. I felt there could have been substantive material added in to make that 8 hours of class time worth it. Go over more court cases, scenarios, etc....

Re: New Texas CHL Laws kicking in Sept 1st [Re: Bang4Buck] #4499751 08/21/13 11:16 PM
texasag93 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
4 hours is fine, if it is the right 4 hours.

Re: New Texas CHL Laws kicking in Sept 1st [Re: texasag93] #4501765 08/22/13 03:49 PM
B
barndoor Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Have they reduced the $140 fee to get the license?

Re: New Texas CHL Laws kicking in Sept 1st [Re: Slow Drifter] #4503003 08/22/13 10:39 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Slow Drifter
I've heard rumors that starting 9/1 you can qualify with a wheel-gun and carry whatever you want. Makes sense as this isn't a weapons class, but a law class.

Any word on this? Just curious.

This one actually became effective on 06-14-13. They removed the "of the same category" requirement for CHL's.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: New Texas CHL Laws kicking in Sept 1st [Re: Grizz] #4503331 08/23/13 12:33 AM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
IMHO, waaaaay too many CHL holders do not not fully understand the downstream ramifications of a perfectly legal self defense shooting. THIS is where most classes fall short. Go ahead and ask your favorite CHL holder what will actually happen after a "valid" self defense shooting.

With 10 solid witnesses backing your version of the story, you can clear the criminal side. But most people will grossly underestimate reality on the civil lawsuit, punitive penalty/judgement side - yes - even in Texas.

Marc

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: New Texas CHL Laws kicking in Sept 1st [Re: Marc K] #4504067 08/23/13 04:30 AM
T
txmikenlisa1 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Marc Kurth
IMHO, waaaaay too many CHL holders do not not fully understand the downstream ramifications of a perfectly legal self defense shooting. THIS is where most classes fall short. Go ahead and ask your favorite CHL holder what will actually happen after a "valid" self defense shooting.

With 10 solid witnesses backing your version of the story, you can clear the criminal side. But most people will grossly underestimate reality on the civil lawsuit, punitive penalty/judgement side - yes - even in Texas.

Marc

But if it was a validated defense shooting then you would have been acting to save life, yours or others. So I think I would be willing to accept the "downstream ramifications" of saving my own life or that of someone I care about. In addition, if you are the only witness left because its just you and the perp involved, and the evidence supports your claim you shouldn't have much issue either.

Yes, maybe more class time and instruction should happen on this subject. But bottom line is, the class no matter how long, couldn't possibly cover everything that is down the road from a shooting and every possible scenario that might lead to a shooting. Even if it did how much do you think would be retained by individuals hearing the information once. You also cannot teach common sense.

The one upside to being sued in civil court is that even if someone wins a personal civil case against you, collecting a judgement in Texas is about as easy as performing heart surgery on yourself. Civil courts do not help you collect your money at all. Most lawyers also wont get involved unless you are truly wealthy, there is bog media coverage of some kind, or there is an insurance company involved. Otherwise the pockets they can pick aren't near deep enough to waste their time on.

Re: New Texas CHL Laws kicking in Sept 1st [Re: txmikenlisa1] #4506050 08/23/13 10:51 PM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: txmikenlisa1

Marc

Yes, maybe more class time and instruction should happen on this subject. ............................................................

THAT was my point.

The fact that YOU already have a clear picture of the issues is not typical of what I see. Again, you may know a whole lot of people who are as smart and informed as you are - it's just not what I see normally.

I certainly do not challenge your logic on the hows and whys of a self defense shooting. That's why we carry weapons!

Most folks just don't consider the total personal impact of a "valid" self defensive shooting. That's all that I meant with my post.

Marc

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: New Texas CHL Laws kicking in Sept 1st [Re: Marc K] #4508269 08/24/13 09:34 PM
B
Bang4Buck Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
B

Marc

CIVIL PRACTICE AND REMEDIES CODE
CPRC CH. 83. USE OF DEADLY FORCE IN DEFENSE OF PERSON
CPRC § 83.001. CIVIL IMMUNITY. A defendant who uses force or deadly force that is justified under Chapter 9, Penal Code, is immune from civil liability for personal injury or death that results from the defendant's use of force or deadly force, as applicable.

That doesn't mean someone isn't going to try to sue you in civil court, but in theory, you are immune from civil liability.

I am new to CHL and curious if you have stories/cases where someone used justified force but was sued in civil court and it cost them serious money?

Last edited by Bang4Buck; 08/24/13 09:35 PM.
Re: New Texas CHL Laws kicking in Sept 1st [Re: Bang4Buck] #4508494 08/24/13 11:38 PM
J
Jangle Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Did a quick search, couldn't find any cases of civil suits that made it to court since the 2007 immunity took affect. At least public records wise.

"A competent leader can get efficient service from poor troops, while on the contrary an incapable leader can demoralize the best of troops."
-- Gen. John J. Pershing
Re: New Texas CHL Laws kicking in Sept 1st [Re: Marc K] #4509128 08/25/13 03:30 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I agree here
In my CHL class the instructor covered two things well:
How great and smart he thought he was and,
The ramification for shooting a guy running across the yard with your computer.

If you or your family's life is actually in danger... duh! It is worth it.
You may be immune from civil liability but you still will have to defend yourself against every relative that tries.

You will be broke, but hot dog, you will have your computer back.

Not to mention the mental impact that it has on many people, That can be costly as well.

Last edited by Simple Searcher; 08/25/13 03:30 AM. Reason: Clarity

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: New Texas CHL Laws kicking in Sept 1st [Re: Simple Searcher] #4509454 08/25/13 01:02 PM
Paluxy300blk Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Most instructors had to kill a lot of time to make 8 hours. My wife finally took the class. She said it was mostly time killing with stories.

The range time is almost a joke but I think it's needed to sort out the people who have no business touching a gun, much less carry one.

Re: New Texas CHL Laws kicking in Sept 1st [Re: Paluxy300blk] #4510086 08/25/13 05:41 PM
S
SOTB Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
The idea that you shoot someone -- with justification -- and that you should have some sort of mental anguish because of shooting someone is ridiculous. There is no reason why someone should not perhaps be bothered by the events that brought you to the point of shooting someone -- but pulling the trigger on a threat should give no one "anguish."

Granted, the above is a general rule. If the threat was a friend or family member and this shooting was an unavoidable situation, sure -- THAT might be troubling. Shooting someone whom doesn't meet the above description (again, a justifiable shooting) should be no more troubling than a car that overheats or having to go to the mall with your wife....

Re: New Texas CHL Laws kicking in Sept 1st [Re: Marc K] #4512186 08/26/13 12:27 PM
D
DCS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D

Marc

If I ever have to take a life, what happens afterwards is not going to be a factor. I will have taken that life because I was out of options and that was my last and final hope of staying alive. I will just have to deal with what happens after that later.

Re: New Texas CHL Laws kicking in Sept 1st [Re: DCS] #4516723 08/27/13 04:39 PM
C
ColemanCty Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
I've got a question on renewals. I'm due up in September. I haven't been keeping up with the changes and what not like I should, so I went on the DPS website, paid my $70 whatever fee to renew, and was looking for a class to get into to take care of the renewal. After reading this post and other articles, I see that the renewal process will be all online. Since I've already paid, will I have to do my renewal the old fashioned way? Or will they allow me to do the online renewal after Sept 1 and just carry over my payment? Thanks in advance

Contact me for a free quote for group and individual health, life, disability and long term care.

ssouth@compasstx.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide