Re: Texas BBQ buzz [Re: Jhunt] #4294753 06/02/13 06:49 AM
F
FtWorthBobWillsFan Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
F
Originally Posted By: Jhunt
On a Memmorial Day weekend trip to Austin, our goal was to try eating at a different BBQ place each day. We got to Austin too late to try Franklins. That will be a good excuse for another trip. But we were highly impressed with The Salt Lick in Driftwood! Of all the places we have ever visited over the years, it is now our all time favorite! We also tried Buzzies in Kerrvile. good, but not on our top ten. There's a place I have not seen listed that really deserves a mention, called Opie's ( on highway 71 in Spicewood). Their brishet is awesome! Sliced thick, tender and very smokey. Better than average coleslaw and you can choose butterbeans as. Bean choice. plus a great choice of homemade cobbler or a variety of about 10 cakes. OpieS and Salt lick will take up 2 top spots on our list for a long time to come! Try them!
thanks for the info... ill have to try Opie's.... Ill be down there soon. And Ill have to bite the bullet and try Salt Lick too.... I always go to Mueller's when im out that way

4Weight, thanks brotha

Re: Texas BBQ buzz [Re: Jhunt] #4308478 06/08/13 02:20 AM
F
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
F
On a Memmorial Day weekend trip to Austin, our goal was to try eating at a different BBQ place each day. We got to Austin too late to try Franklins. That will be a good excuse for another trip. But we were highly impressed with The Salt Lick in Driftwood! Of all the places we have ever visited over the years, it is now our all time favorite! We also tried Buzzies in Kerrvile. good, but not on our top ten. There's a place I have not seen listed that really deserves a mention, called Opie's ( on highway 71 in Spicewood). Their brishet is awesome! Sliced thick, tender and very smokey. Better than average coleslaw and you can choose butterbeans as. Bean choice. plus a great choice of homemade cobbler or a variety of about 10 cakes. OpieS and Salt lick will take up 2 top spots on our list for a long time to come! Try them!

I finally made it to Opie's yesterday evening. Sure glad I did. I walked in the door to be welcomed by good lookin young gal's... one of em sliced my brisket for me and slapped it down on a freshly washed tray. It was very very good. I would put it just a notch below Mueller's... as mentioned, it was thick sliced but still buttery tender... great salty peppery bark... smoked on oak. I'll be back.

Re: Texas BBQ buzz [Re: FtWorthBobWillsFan] #4311850 06/10/13 03:26 AM
O
OFBHWG Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
O
I need a Rick of Post Oak and a Rick of Pecan wood for smoking! Any one know where in the McKinney Area I can get some? May have to travel to get Post Oak and that is OK!

When you need a Piano moved there is always someone around to help you with the stool!
Re: Texas BBQ buzz [Re: OFBHWG] #4312098 06/10/13 12:25 PM
I
ijohnston Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I
Originally Posted By: OFBHWG
I need a Rick of Post Oak and a Rick of Pecan wood for smoking! Any one know where in the McKinney Area I can get some? May have to travel to get Post Oak and that is OK!

I have a buddy that sells wood from his house. i believe it is oak and some pecan. I cannot remember. He is at stacey and old stacey (Small house on the corner).

Re: Texas BBQ buzz [Re: ijohnston] #4317685 06/12/13 09:12 PM
F
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
F
Finally made it to Meshak's in Garland Tuesday. The people were super nice. I think I must have caught em on a bad day b/c the brisket was undercooked and cut with the grain. I ordered a pound and I'd say that a quarter pound of it was above avg. the rest was marginal. Ill give em another try next time I'm out that way.

Re: Texas BBQ buzz [Re: ijohnston] #4318833 06/13/13 04:48 AM
O
OFBHWG Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
O
Originally Posted By: ijohnston
Originally Posted By: OFBHWG

I have a buddy that sells wood from his house. i believe it is oak and some pecan. I cannot remember. He is at stacey and old stacey (Small house on the corner).

Thanks

When you need a Piano moved there is always someone around to help you with the stool!
Re: Texas BBQ buzz [Re: OFBHWG] #4331206 06/19/13 03:46 PM
T
Theboyandi Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I stopped at the Salt Lick in Round Rock Friday and I don't get the hype. Maybe I was expecting to much but the brisket was pretty middle of the road in the flavor department. Pork ribs were good and so was the sausage but not special.

Re: Texas BBQ buzz [Re: Theboyandi] #4331266 06/19/13 04:12 PM
O
Ox190 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
O
From the owners of Maple and Motor comes Slow Bone BBQ on the corner of Wycliff and Irving Blvd.

I'm not much of a reviewer/writer so I will cut to the chase.

Very very good brisket, the only thing they need a little more work on is their bark, nice amount of smoke and very moist.
Ribs were good even though I got the end pieces, I prefer middle of the rack.
Jalapeno Brats very good, however I prefer brat type sausage more grilled than smoked.
Bread choices are cornbread and hushpuppies, I went cornbread, pretty good.
Side options
Greens, cole slaw, mac n cheese, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, cauliflower casserole, fried okra.....I'm sure I'm forgetting something.
I went with mac n cheese and green bean casserole, both very good.
The bread and butter pickles on the relish bar are excellent. I will absolutely be going back, this is my new favorite BBQ joint in DFW over Pecan Lodge. Excellent service from all of the staff as well.

Funny side story, the guy slicing the brisket assumed I wanted it from the point(which I did) but Jack the owner walks up and asks him if he asked me if I wanted lean or moist. He says no, so Jack looks at me and says "Do you want lean or moist", now if you know me you know I'm big ol boy, so I look down at my gut and look back at him and say "CMON MAN, did you really just ask me that". We all started laughing.

"There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre." Louis L'Amour
Re: Texas BBQ buzz [Re: Ox190] #4332719 06/20/13 03:04 AM
N
NDN98 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I like the Slow Bone. I have only been there once, but it was really good. Great brisket, ribs, and sausage. Don't care much for the sauce, but their meat is so good you don't need it. I really liked the smoked cilantro sausage. Great fried okra as well.

Re: Texas BBQ buzz [Re: NDN98] #4332778 06/20/13 03:39 AM
O
Ox190 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
O
I agree on the sauce, but I try not to use sauce.

"There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre." Louis L'Amour
Re: Texas BBQ buzz [Re: Theboyandi] #4332890 06/20/13 05:14 AM
F
Fat Tire Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Originally Posted By: Theboyandi
I stopped at the Salt Lick in Round Rock Friday and I don't get the hype. Maybe I was expecting to much but the brisket was pretty middle of the road in the flavor department. Pork ribs were good and so was the sausage but not special.

I stopped by there Friday on my way into Austin about 1:30 or so. May have seen you as there wasn't many people there.
I agree with you.

Re: Texas BBQ buzz [Re: Ox190] #4332892 06/20/13 05:17 AM
F
Fat Tire Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Originally Posted By: Ox190
From the owners of Maple and Motor comes Slow Bone BBQ on the corner of Wycliff and Irving Blvd.

Very very good brisket, the only thing they need a little more work on is their bark, nice amount of smoke and very moist.
Jalapeno Brats very good, however I prefer brat type sausage more grilled than smoked.
Side options
Greens, cole slaw, mac n cheese, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, cauliflower casserole, fried okra.....I'm sure I'm forgetting something.
The bread and butter pickles on the relish bar are excellent. I will absolutely be going back, this is my new favorite BBQ joint in DFW over Pecan Lodge. Excellent service from all of the staff as well.

Funny side story, the guy slicing the brisket assumed I wanted it from the point(which I did) but Jack the owner walks up and asks him if he asked me if I wanted lean or moist. He says no, so Jack looks at me and says "Do you want lean or moist", now if you know me you know I'm big ol boy, so I look down at my gut and look back at him and say "CMON MAN, did you really just ask me that". We all started laughing.

I've spoken with Jack several times at Maple & Motor. He seems like a real good dude.

Re: Texas BBQ buzz [Re: Ox190] #4334907 06/21/13 02:06 AM
N
NDN98 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

Agree with you. Good barbecue doesn't need sauce!

Re: Texas BBQ buzz [Re: NDN98] #4336219 06/21/13 04:55 PM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted By: NDN98

Agree with you. Good barbecue doesn't need sauce!

without the sauce you don't have BBQ, you have smoked meat. 2cents

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Texas BBQ buzz [Re: bigbob_ftw] #4336983 06/22/13 12:51 AM
N
NDN98 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I have to disagree with your sir. I am a firm believer that good barbecue and good steaks don't need any sauce. Bad barbecue and bad steaks need sauce. I am always suspect of places that slather their meat in sauce. I usually ask for my sauce on the side, just in case I need it. Just my 2cents

Last edited by NDN98; 06/22/13 12:57 AM.
Re: Texas BBQ buzz [Re: NDN98] #4337114 06/22/13 01:57 AM
4Weight Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Sauce is for dipping and on the side only.

Re: Texas BBQ buzz [Re: 4Weight] #4337157 06/22/13 02:16 AM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
I always order sauce on the side. Sometimes the BBQ needs it, but usually it doesn't if the meat is properly cooked. I like to savor the sauce by dipping white bread into it. It's
a dawaba thang.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: Texas BBQ buzz [Re: Ox190] #4337438 06/22/13 05:52 AM
F
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
F

Side options

LOL.... funny stuff... .thanks for the review. I need to check this place out. Dallas needs more good quality places like this with the looooooong line at Pecan Lodge.

I went to the Silver Saddle Smokehouse in Bellville TX down South of College Station.... I have been there several times. It's usually good but this time it sucked. Hard to determine why... I guess they just had an off day. They smoke on Bodark wood (wtf?) b/c they have a 1800 acre ranch and that's what's on the ranch. It cooks fast like mesquite. They would be much better off with oak or pecan... even hickory.

Re: Texas BBQ buzz [Re: FtWorthBobWillsFan] #4337442 06/22/13 06:00 AM
F
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
F
Here's my updated list of top Texas BBQ joints for the record:

Louie Mueller in Taylor
Snow's in Lexington
Opie's in Spicewood
Kreuz Market in Lockhart
Blue Moon outside of Hearn
Buzzie's in Kerrville
Stanley's in Tyler
Rudy's in Round Rock (it's the best Rudy's... ive been to just about all of them)
Cooper's in Llano
Post Mountain in Burnet

I haven't been to Franklin's..... The places on my radar screen that I will be visiting soon are: John Mueller's and his sister's place LaBarbecue - both in Austin. Stiles Switch and Freedman's bar - both courtesy of THF member NDN98.... also, Hashknife on the Chisholm b/c it's on the Texas Monthly list as a 4.0 out of 5... and it's close to my home!

Re: Texas BBQ buzz [Re: FtWorthBobWillsFan] #4337474 06/22/13 06:44 AM
F
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
F
I just now read that the pit boss at Stiles Switch is Lance Kirkpatrick, who is the former pit boss at Louie Mueller's in Taylor.... he took over for Bobby there when he passed away.... I think Im going to hit Stiles tomorrow... can't wait... thanks NDN98

Re: Texas BBQ buzz [Re: FtWorthBobWillsFan] #4337493 06/22/13 10:37 AM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: FtWorthBobWillsFan
Here's my updated list of top Texas BBQ joints for the record:

Louie Mueller in Taylor
Snow's in Lexington
Opie's in Spicewood
Kreuz Market in Lockhart
Blue Moon outside of Hearn
Buzzie's in Kerrville
Stanley's in Tyler
Rudy's in Round Rock (it's the best Rudy's... ive been to just about all of them)
Cooper's in Llano
Post Mountain in Burnet

I haven't been to Franklin's..... The places on my radar screen that I will be visiting soon are: John Mueller's and his sister's place LaBarbecue - both in Austin. Stiles Switch and Freedman's bar - both courtesy of THF member NDN98.... also, Hashknife on the Chisholm b/c it's on the Texas Monthly list as a 4.0 out of 5... and it's close to my home!

Sounds like a primal, artery-hardening experience. Tough job, but somebody has to be the THF culinary critic! Be sure and report. We were at John Mueller's last Saturday....the dark prince was personally handing out free beer. Great brisket and sausage...

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: Texas BBQ buzz [Re: FtWorthBobWillsFan] #4338024 06/22/13 05:59 PM
S
Stick 711 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Originally Posted By: FtWorthBobWillsFan

I finally made it to Opie's yesterday evening. Sure glad I did. I walked in the door to be welcomed by good lookin young gal's... one of em sliced my brisket for me and slapped it down on a freshly washed tray. It was very very good. I would put it just a notch below Mueller's... as mentioned, it was thick sliced but still buttery tender... great salty peppery bark... smoked on oak. I'll be back.

My son lives in Spicewood and we go to Opie's on all trips.

The butterbeans are a meal by themselves. Also, try their smoked pork and the turkey too.

Re: Texas BBQ buzz [Re: NDN98] #4338283 06/22/13 09:20 PM
O
Ox190 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
O
Originally Posted By: NDN98
I have to disagree with your sir. I am a firm believer that good barbecue and good steaks don't need any sauce. Bad barbecue and bad steaks need sauce. I am always suspect of places that slather their meat in sauce. I usually ask for my sauce on the side, just in case I need it. Just my 2cents

He's an Oklahoma State fan and he likes beans in his chili, he is not to be trusted.

Re: Texas BBQ buzz [Re: Ox190] #4339096 06/23/13 06:31 AM
F
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
F

Side options

btw... are they using prison trays there???? lol

kind of looks like one, at least from what i've seen in the movies wink

Re: Texas BBQ buzz [Re: FtWorthBobWillsFan] #4339098 06/23/13 06:34 AM
F
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
F
I did go to Stiles Switch today in Austin on Lamar street. I ordered a half pound of moist brisket, jalapeno cheese sausage and a pork rib.

The pork rib was maybe the best i've had. The flavor really mixed well with the smoke and it was good and tender without being over cooked.

The brisket was dry.... I was really disappointed. I mean, this is Lance Kirkpatrick of Louie Mueller fame.

I did get to go back and chew the fat with Lance and his understudies for a while. That was a real treat.

The sausage was a bit above average.

I suppose I just got a bad brisket... Ill go back for the ribs and to give the brisket another chance.

Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide