Forums46
Topics537,031
Posts9,719,626
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Taxidermist "may have lost my horns/cape"!!!! ??? [Re: Brock77] #4303147 06/05/13 11:04 PM
R
raydogg30 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
R
I mistakenly listed the game warden as the one who "hates him" that's incorrect, it's a local deputy I talked to that stated he hated dealing with him.
From what I have found out, it seems that the taxidermist was burglarized, and there wasn't much he could do. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that he finds my horns. I offered a no questions asked $100.00 to whoever hands me my horns, no police, nothing. I just want the horns back.
Hopefully it goes smooth, but something tells me that my horns are long gone. Biggest buck I've ever killed and first whitetail, so thankful that my first hunting experience after coming home from the middle east resulted in theft, FML.
Glad the rest of TX doesn't suck.

Re: Taxidermist "may have lost my horns/cape"!!!! ??? [Re: raydogg30] #4303922 06/06/13 05:14 AM
richm Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
hey Ray
I am really sorry to hear your going through this. If the taxi will not offer a solution, then you may make a couple of suggestions. I know these will never replace your trophy, but it's something...
1) I would put a bill together itemized estimating your loss ( hunting trip cost breakdown, replacement cape, horn cost..check taxidermy.net for comparable pricing). Then I would offer him a payoff plan, 50-100 bucks a month till he pays off.
2) if he can't pay, then have him arrange a replacement hunt. If the guys a legit taxi, he knows hunters who might sympathize and offer to help him and you out by getting you on another hunt. I'd definitely check the place out first before agreeing.

If the guy will not work with you. Get on Taxidermy.net and post on the bad dealings site, and put pictures of the buck. These horns will eventually make it to another shop and you may be able to find them that way. Ive seen it happen...Don't sweat the cape, those are pretty easy to replace.

Just my 2cents, hope it helps. Most taxi's are reputable folks who care about your trophy. Good luck

rich
Re: Taxidermist "may have lost my horns/cape"!!!! ??? [Re: richm] #4304408 06/06/13 02:19 PM
TurkeyHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
For what itīs worth you still ought to take him to small claims, itemize everything as listed above, and seek a judgement with the court. You will need to then pursue the judgement. It may not seem like much or you might not get anything, but a judgement on record can cause people all sorts of grief.

http://www.texasbar.com/Content/Navigati...ClaimsCourt.pdf

http://library.law.smu.edu/Research-Tools/Research-Guides/Texas-Law-(300)/307-Small-Claims-Court---Texas

To be determined
Re: Taxidermist "may have lost my horns/cape"!!!! ??? [Re: Brock77] #4315133 06/11/13 07:18 PM
W
WNPHNTR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
Sorry for your bad luck. I've been jacked around by a taxidermist also.
You can take him to small claims court. Every county has a different fee for filing, usually $35.00 to $50.00, with a maximum amount of $5000.00 in damages. You can sue for any amount up to the maximum allowed, and basically have to prove to the judge why you deserve that amount.
If you only sue for a small amount, he probably won't even show up at the hearing, and the judge can only allow you what you sued for in the initial filing.And just because you win the case, there's no law in place to make him pay. He'll get a judgement put on his credit record and that'll mess with him for years. A little tip to get his sorry attention..
Sue him for the maximum allowable, probably $5000.00. Won't cost any extra and it WILL get his attention. He'll either settle before it goes to court, or he'll show up to argue his case and the judge will allow whatever he sees fit. Small claims court is pretty loose. It all depends on what the judge is like. You might even get a judge who's been screwed by a taxidermist himself and he'll lower the boom on the guy. You never know....You won't loose though, and the guy may even try to counter sue, but it will get dismissed right off.
Good luck..make the guy have to think about what he's done to you and probably a bunch of other guys.
Make sure you have all receipts/documents.

Re: Taxidermist "may have lost my horns/cape"!!!! ??? [Re: Brock77] #4423494 07/26/13 08:38 PM
A
Antikythera76 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
helped themselves to meat? that sounds kind of gross! that usually isnt edible meat..... i would totally be angry at anyone who did that! that is your hard earned deer and they need to compensate somehow. SOOO irresponsible.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide