Page 1 of 2 1 2
Buying land #408483 08/19/08 02:29 AM
A
Abilene605 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
A
Need some advice. Fairly new to deer hunting (fishing is my passion), have hunted safari style for mulies in Fort Stockton area which got me hooked. I have looked at leases but just doesnt really interest me, I'd rather spend my money on an investment then pay someone rent.

My questions are : I want to buy some land but can not afford a large acreage (and I dont want Terrel or Dryden areas). If I were to buy 50 acres or less in some decent deer country what would expectations be?

Im not looking for trophies, I have 9 yr son and nephew that I would take some. Plan on 2 feeders, 2 blinds and also have someone to split the cost with.

Introducing these boys to the outdoors is the main objective while maybe shooting an above average buc here and there. Turkey and hogs Im sure they would have fun with also. Now is this reality or just dreaming?

What would I look for also? Of course hopefully adjacent land would be low fence and water on my property would be nice but any other ideas?

I kinda get the feeling this kinda land would be hush hush if it even exists. So let me know if you have expierenced something like this. My budget is around 50k. Thanks for the help.

Re: Buying land [Re: Abilene605] #408484 08/19/08 02:42 AM
B
BassinJohn Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
I have a 1/2 acre lot I can sell you up here in Prosper for $70k. No, seriously... 50k probaby wont go along way in an area with any game. Now, the 50k could go a long way if you choose to not look at it as an investment & develop a long term, exclusive lease with a land owner. You could probably arrange a 10-20yr lease with a landowner. Just make sure you get a lawyer that will write you an agreement that protects you if the landowner sells or loses the property before the lease is over.

Re: Buying land [Re: BassinJohn] #408485 08/19/08 02:44 AM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
I wish 50k would buy 50 acres I would be on a buying spree. My wife is in realestate, and she can't find 50 acres for less than 150k here.

Re: Buying land [Re: helomech] #408486 08/19/08 02:47 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
In the Abilene area you are looking at more than $3000 an acre on smaller tracts. In my opinion you need $250,000 to get anything even close to what you are looking for.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Buying land [Re: Abilene605] #408487 08/19/08 02:52 AM
B
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Besides the price
Live water is always good for game
large neighbors
elec or water etc.
Buy now things are going up

Re: Buying land [Re: Abilene605] #408488 08/19/08 03:11 AM
A
Abilene605 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
A
Obviously price will be an issue, but what about small acreage? Is 50 or less just not enough to do what I have in mind? Does not have to be close to Abilene, you would think we have oil in the ground here with our prices.

Re: Buying land [Re: Abilene605] #408489 08/19/08 03:21 AM
txcornhusker Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

Obviously price will be an issue, but what about small acreage? Is 50 or less just not enough to do what I have in mind? Does not have to be close to Abilene, you would think we have oil in the ground here with our prices.

Smaller tracts of land go for bigger $$. AND if there is oil there you won't be gettin' any mineral rights when you buy. Land is relatively cheap in Texas. Go try to buy land anywhere else. Unfortunately, land has gone up in Texas the last 4 years or so. So you know, the word is out and it will never be cheaper than it is right now. Buy some and hold onto it. It may let you retire early! Just no reason to gripe about land prices in Texas unless you don't know any better.

Re: Buying land [Re: Abilene605] #408490 08/19/08 03:22 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
My thoughts. 50 acres is too small for the number of people. Land around Abilene is high, but smaller places anywhere are high, look at 150 acre size places and the cost will still go over $1500 an acre in the more isolated places. The better the deer hunting area the higher the price, the closer to populated areas the higher the price. The smaller the acreage the higher the cost per acre. It all adds up to more land farther out in the sticks is your best bet, but that also ups the cost of your travel to and from the place.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Buying land [Re: BassinJohn] #408491 08/19/08 03:33 AM
B
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Quote:

I have a 1/2 acre lot I can sell you up here in Prosper for $70k. No, seriously... 50k probaby wont go along way in an area with any game. Now, the 50k could go a long way if you choose to not look at it as an investment & develop a long term, exclusive lease with a land owner. You could probably arrange a 10-20yr lease with a landowner. Just make sure you get a lawyer that will write you an agreement that protects you if the landowner sells or loses the property before the lease is over.

half acre in prosper is not to bad compared to some up there

Re: Buying land [Re: Brother in-law] #408492 08/19/08 10:26 AM
D
daulongranch Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
We paid $1850 an acre 4 years ago in Concho County for a 60 acre place. Land has gone up since then.

There is a place on FM 1929 (Concho County)that is selling for $2k/acre...120 acres or will divide into two 60 acre tracts. PM me if you want to know more about it. The guy is my best friend. He doesn't really care if he sells it or not. It just gives us another option for hunting. I know it has some nice 140-160 class deer, pigs, lots of turkey, and there are a few black buck on the place.

daulongranch - Live in Rowlett - Ranch in Concho County

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."-- Thomas Jefferson
Re: Buying land [Re: Abilene605] #408493 08/19/08 11:23 AM
Reverendbiker Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Quote:

Need some advice. Fairly new to deer hunting (fishing is my passion), have hunted safari style for mulies in Fort Stockton area which got me hooked. I have looked at leases but just doesnt really interest me, I'd rather spend my money on an investment then pay someone rent.

I certainly understand your desire to own a piece of property for your own; as others have pointed out, however, it's not likely to happen on the budget you described. You've also highlighted a phenomenon that partly explains the proliferation of high fences in the Hill Country. Hunting property has become so expensive ($10k/acre in some counties) that larger tracts are out of reach for anyone but Bill Gates. That means that more landowners are breaking up their ranches into smaller tracts to sell them. Mr. Avid Hunter buys a 25-acre tract near me in San Saba and pays $100k for it. He sets up a stand and feeder and has a legal right to shoot two bucks and three does from it. There's a great deer population in the area and TPWD biologists recommend a deer harvest of one buck and two does per 100 acres. To maintain a healthy herd and a sane harvest, Mr. Avid hunter should harvest a mature buck every 4 years and a doe every other year--what are the odds of that happening? Neighboring landowners with larger properties (like me) watch Mr. Avid Hunter fill his tag from his 25 acres and feel that they have no choice but to high-fence their own places to protect the quality of the herd.
I prefer not to coop up deer like cattle, but last year I spent most of the season watching a beautiful little 6-point buck that was 1-1/2 years old; I believe he'd have made a great buck in a few more years. Unfortunately he crossed my neighbor's 40 acres and ended up at the processor.
Just one landowner's viewpoint.

jack <><

reverendbiker.com
Re: Buying land [Re: Reverendbiker] #408494 08/19/08 12:54 PM
A
Abilene605 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
A
Nice point of view Jack, I understand your point. Thx for all the positive feedback also so far.

Re: Buying land [Re: Abilene605] #408495 08/19/08 01:14 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
If you found it for 50k for 50 acres, turn it around and easily sell it and then go buy you a bigger piece of land or a piece of land in an area you like better.

There is a place right next to us that is 40 acres for sale. Its not high fenced but on one side(thats the common side our place shares with it).

Last edited by Curtis; 08/19/08 01:16 PM.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: Buying land [Re: Abilene605] #408496 08/19/08 01:21 PM
A
Abilene605 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
A
This is a good example of I have no idea what expectations would be. I realize it could be 60k shot in the dark, but this is just an example. Give me your opinions, looking for some feedback. Hope I didnt break the rules by linking this.

http://www.landsofamerica.com/america/index.cfm?Detail=&INV_ID=62333

Re: Buying land [Re: Abilene605] #408497 08/19/08 02:01 PM
T
TX_Huntress Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Are you paying $50K straight out/cash on hand, or would it be a loan for you to pay back? Reason I ask is that if you won't have a note for it, you ought to consider putting some/most of that money down on a larger place, and have a small monthly note. jmo

The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

[Linked Image]
Re: Buying land [Re: Abilene605] #408498 08/19/08 02:22 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Couple of things about buying land you have to remember 1)Requires more down payment then a house, regardless of credit. Interst is still deductable, so are many of the features of the property, power line poles, fences, gates.. even gas to and from. Also your taxes are very little as long as it in some type of expemtion(Ag or wildlife) and if not i think it takes 3-5 years to get one, and you don't have to carry homeowners...ect.

best thing is talk to a CPA about it.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Buying land [Re: BOBO the Clown] #408499 08/19/08 02:40 PM
H
holdem Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
What the Reverend said and Mr Avid hunter will bring 5 or 6 buddies to help him fill out tags.

Re: Buying land [Re: holdem] #408500 08/19/08 03:38 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
There is plenty of land available from $800 to $1,500 an acre in the Childress area. Issue is you really need 640 acre min to have good hunting.

My friend sells land and ranchettes down near Wimberley. Everything is chopped up now and sold to people with more money than sense and are looking to flip it. Most don't hunt. They are having a hard time selling now b/c the sellers will not go down on price. He said when stuff does sell it is 20% less than the asking and it is still a bit over priced then for the market. They are having offers of 30% below asking with a target of 25%.

If you buy something out west, I would think you need to see a good return each year to make money on it. Gas and expenses really add up. $1,500 to $2,000 a year for a lease seems cheap compared to buying something for $1,800 to $3,000 an acre that there is no guaretee it will go up a ton. It could if in the right location.

Re: Buying land [Re: Abilene605] #408501 08/19/08 06:21 PM
Reverendbiker Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Quote:

This is a good example of I have no idea what expectations would be. I realize it could be 60k shot in the dark, but this is just an example. Give me your opinions, looking for some feedback. Hope I didnt break the rules by linking this.

http://www.landsofamerica.com/america/index.cfm?Detail=&INV_ID=62333

Abilene, that property is pretty typical of what's going on in the Real/Edwards County area. Deer hunting has historically been pretty good in that area with the additional bonus of some free-ranging exotics. As you can see from the photos the land is somewhat bleak (cedars provide good cover but lousy browse) so the deer aren't concentrated as much as they are in the Eastern Hill Country; for that reason each hunter usually needs more land. If this property is surrounded by larger properties it might be worth a look (if you don't mind traveling to it). If it's part of a larger ranch that's been subdivided and all your neighbors are the same size, don't count on it for hunting. Imagine, if you will, a one-section (640 acre) ranch near Rocksprings with 20-30 hunters in their stands on opening day.
According to our annual survey my area supports about one deer for every 10-12 acres; according to TPWD data the Rocksprings area has a deer for every 16-20 acres. Assuming a 1:2 buck/doe ratio (typical for non-managed areas) the 640 acres that includes this property will have 32 resident deer, about 11 of them being bucks. Certainly you get the picture...

jack <><

reverendbiker.com
Re: Buying land [Re: Abilene605] #408502 08/19/08 08:48 PM
J
Jason B Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
I will be the guy to give you some hope. As far as the size, my dad purchased 25 acres 12 years ago in the middle of nowhere. He set up a feeder and can shoot a buck and doe every year. Size of the land isn't as crucial as what's in, around or near it.

Now for the bad news. I cant see 20 acres being less than $60k and as someone mentioned, down payment are typically %20 no matter credit and undeveloped land is typically only financed for 15 years. Not to mention you will never get mineral rights with todays energy market so right after you close they could put a rig right smack in the middle of your place (granted it would only really screw your hunting for a year unless it makes a load of water every 6 hours).

I was very fortunate to buy 155 acres of land from my wifes family a couple of years back. It would make you puke if you know what I gave for it, sometimes I even feel bad about it .

Re: Buying land [Re: Jason B] #408503 08/19/08 10:15 PM
B
BlueVenado Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
My father-in-law is a ranch developer in Eagle Pass. He has 2200 acres for sale in Eagle Pass just across highway 90 from the river. He is selling in 20 acre increments. There are a lot of trespass deer. He does low down and fair owner financing. The payments are really reasonable. There are BIG deer here and much of the land borders a very large low fence ranch with big deer. Lots of pigs and javs and I saw some beautiful cats on the little canal that runs through. He has a lot of small ranchito owners that hunt/camp several times a year there and love it. You can contact him at (830)968-1572 His name is Steve Chapman

Re: Buying land [Re: Jason B] #408504 08/19/08 10:17 PM
T
tkuehn5410 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
There is some land for sale in Dickens county that will show up from time to time and be around $600-800 an acre. I would look in the Dickens/Crosby area if you are wanting a place like that. I looked at 300 acres for $650 an acre a year ago that was in prime deer country. I ended up passing on it, though because someone offered more than what I was willing to pay.

Re: Buying land [Re: tkuehn5410] #408505 08/20/08 12:47 PM
D
daulongranch Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Those big chunks of land being broken up into small parcels work for the first year or two. After that, good luck finding any quality deer. A few years later, good luck on finding any deer at all.

I had a place a few years back that was 50 acres of a 2400 acre place. I was in the far north corner of the property, adjoining a 15000 acre ranch. The first year, there were lots of deer around. The second year, I noticed that several of the other parcel holders were killing just about anything that walked.

Year 3, I spoke with two of the adjoining parcel holders and agreed on a deer management program of nothing smaller than 8 points and outside the ears. That was the day before the rifle season started. On opening morning, I got back to camp. I could see a very young deer hanging in the tree next door. I went over there and saw that it was a button buck. I sold the property. I never even went back that year. This place was off the highway that is between Rocksprings and Bracketville.

My current place is only 60 acres, but I'm next door to a park, two large ranchette subdivisions that don't allow hunting, and a large undeveloped piece of land. We see plenty of deer. It's nothing to have 20-30 deer at the feeder.

You just can't have a bunch of those small parcels in the same area. There is only one other small parcel within miles and it is the place my friend owns (different place than I mentioned above) that is 77 acres. You can find these places. You just have to be in the right place at the right time...with the cash. Good luck on your search.

daulongranch - Live in Rowlett - Ranch in Concho County

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."-- Thomas Jefferson
Re: Buying land [Re: tkuehn5410] #408506 08/21/08 01:55 AM
C
caprocker Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Quote:

There is some land for sale in Dickens county that will show up from time to time and be around $600-800 an acre. I would look in the Dickens/Crosby area if you are wanting a place like that. I looked at 300 acres for $650 an acre a year ago that was in prime deer country. I ended up passing on it, though because someone offered more than what I was willing to pay.

find yourself some crp land that borders up to a good ranch somewhere...it is less per acre and it usually has a government payment with it..dickens,afton,spur has alot of it for around 800 per acre...my inlaws sold 250 acres 10 miles east of abilene last year for 350k...it was in abilene wylie school district

Re: Buying land [Re: caprocker] #408507 08/22/08 01:44 AM
O
okiehuntr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
I am selling 80 ac off my 320, surrounded by 10,000 ac of private timber for $112K..I am into QDM..near Hugo Ok.

Okiehuntr

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide