Forums46
Topics537,695
Posts9,727,870
Members87,033
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. [Re: ccoker] #3892114 12/28/12 04:50 PM
J
Johnny Bone Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Law Enforcement is a joke when it comes to hunters, ranchers and farmers. The GW is the way to go and sometimes they will not follow up or anything else. Catch the fool in the act if you can, and put a stop to it.

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. [Re: Johnny Bone] #3892171 12/28/12 05:12 PM
A
aggiehunter03 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
A
Don't start a war (kill his horse or something stupid) with the POS because like Dad always told me: you have a lot more to lose than him. File a police report though. Thieves and criminals are usually idiots and at some point he will be arrested for something and more often than not stolen property gets confiscated. If they have it on file there is a chance you will get it back. Also not a bad idea to melt your name into your stuff with a soldering iron too so the name can't be removed. Won't stop it from being stolen but its identifyable.

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. [Re: sunsetroosters] #3892237 12/28/12 05:31 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I don't understand why you're involving the police / "cops" in this unless the trespassing & theft occurred in city limits.

File a report with the sheriffs office, call the GW let him know what is going on.
IF they don't seem to care go up the chain until you find someone that does.
Sheriffs are elected officials the last thing they want is a reputation of being soft on crime when election time comes around.
I know the Sheriff & GW in the county our property is in are bonafide hard arse's. ( in a good way)

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. [Re: ccoker] #3892583 12/28/12 07:19 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Sorry I upset you Landpirate, but that is the way I feel and the truck episode happened. She was my secretary back then, so I had to listen to every problem she had. Most problems were her boyfriends, but one of them was the truck.

And I never represented myself as an internet expert and what I stated wasn't advice. I've just observed the world over my 60ish years and LE just has not impressed me. And if the income generation thing hit a sore spot with anybody, once a small town had died enough that there's not enough of a tax base to keep basic services going, that's when a lot of those towns pull out the ticket books.

My good buddy's granddaughter's boyfriend (he's a nice guy) was a small town cop until recently. He did something to tick off the boss and he got canned. You should hear him complain about having to get a real job and go to work on time. And his golf handicap has started to slide. He wants to dump the real job and go back to riding around in a car.

And I've got some quite funny stories about rent-a-cops that we used for security from time to time at the various refineries and chemical plants we had (a guy that worked for me did the contracts to arrange for the off duty cops).

So no...I have not been impressed so far.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. [Re: 603Country] #3892631 12/28/12 07:36 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. [Re: LandPirate] #3894420 12/29/12 05:48 AM
S
sunsetroosters Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: LandPirate
Originally Posted By: 603Country
Don't expect too much help from Law Enforcement. They have a lot on their plate (in addition to donuts) and aren't going to worry much about your small loss. It's not an income generator for them, and they'd much rather write speeding tickets - which is an income generator.

I worked with a young woman some years back and she had her new truck stolen. The cop took a report and didn't call back. After a week or two she called them and was told that her truck was probably in Mexico now, so use the insurance money to get a new truck. That was the end of that law enforcement effort. She went and got a new truck.

I'm glad to see that there's so many internet experts out there offering up solid advice like this. Warms my heart. (Sarcasm).
sad to say but this has honestly been basically every experience i have ever had with law enforcement

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. [Re: ccoker] #3894430 12/29/12 05:52 AM
S
sunsetroosters Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
oh and for the record about three days ago i called the local game warden, left a message about how i have someone poaching on my property and had some stuff stolen and i have yet to get a call back

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. [Re: sunsetroosters] #3894806 12/29/12 02:41 PM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted By: sunsetroosters
Don't expect too much help from Law Enforcement. They have a lot on their plate (in addition to donuts) and aren't going to worry much about your small loss. It's not an income generator for them, and they'd much rather write speeding tickets - which is an income generator.

I worked with a young woman some years back and she had her new truck stolen. The cop took a report and didn't call back. After a week or two she called them and was told that her truck was probably in Mexico now, so use the insurance money to get a new truck. That was the end of that law enforcement effort. She went and got a new truck.

I'm glad to see that there's so many internet experts out there offering up solid advice like this. Warms my heart. (Sarcasm).
sad to say but this has honestly been basically every experience i have ever had with law enforcement

It is sad indeed. Perhaps y'all (your community) need to closely examine who is being elected Sheriff or appointed Police Chief. Sounds like changes are in order.

As for stolen vehicles; there's little LE can do once it's gone. If it goes to MX then it's usually there before you wake up and discover that it's missing. By the time you file a report your vehicle is either in a chop shop, in MX (off limits) or running drugs and illegals on the border. If not it will eventually turn up. Either dumped somewhere or a patrolman will run a plate and get a hit. Then a pursuit will ensue in which the vehicle will generally be wrecked and totaled.

If and when your vehicle turns up you'll get call. Not until. What is it that you expect? Minute by minute updates? "Nope, still haven't found your vehicle, sorry".

If you're not getting satisfaction from LE go up the chain of command and demand more. Go to the Chief or the Sheriff. You have to understand that most rural areas of Texas pay very little. As such they often don't attract the most qualified applicants. Nor do they typically attract the most experienced. Many hire on, stay for two years and then move on to a bigger, higher paying department. So sometimes they might need a little motivation to get going. Call a higher ranking officer to get a fire lit.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. [Re: LandPirate] #3894849 12/29/12 03:05 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
You ask what it is that I expect when I've been victimized...the answer is that I want to know that the people we pay to "serve and protect" us give at least a tiny damn about what has happened to me and are giving a fair shot at getting my stolen property or whatever back to me. I want to think that people we pay to work for us in that manner aren't making their own value judgement about the worth of the wrong that was done to me, and then judging it to be of not enough value to worry about. I want to think that I am getting fair value for the money that I contribute to our police force. And fair value, by my measure, isn't getting a speeding ticket or having my neighbors get speeding tickets. That's a revenue generator, it is not police work.

And let me ask a question of those of you that are not in law enforcement. When are you most likely to see or encounter a police officer? Let me give a small hint....will you be in your car when that happens?

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. [Re: Texican] #3894857 12/29/12 03:08 PM
N
NVC-- Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
N
Are you the property owner? If not verify w the land owner who all access to the property. Make a point to set up several days ina row but change your routine. Is there a way you can hide your vehicle or be dropped off. Make your place inviting as to say no one is here. Catch the guy and then start shooting in his direction w a nice semi auto. I am not saying shoot him
..just scare him and the horse. If he gets bucked and gets hurt oh well. He was trespassing and you feared for your life. Plus its fun to watch cockroaches run!

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. [Re: 603Country] #3894905 12/29/12 03:30 PM
B
Bear Charge Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
You ask what it is that I expect when I've been victimized...the answer is that I want to know that the people we pay to "serve and protect" us give at least a tiny damn about what has happened to me and are giving a fair shot at getting my stolen property or whatever back to me. I want to think that people we pay to work for us in that manner aren't making their own value judgement about the worth of the wrong that was done to me, and then judging it to be of not enough value to worry about. I want to think that I am getting fair value for the money that I contribute to our police force. And fair value, by my measure, isn't getting a speeding ticket or having my neighbors get speeding tickets. That's a revenue generator, it is not police work.

And let me ask a question of those of you that are not in law enforcement. When are you most likely to see or encounter a police officer? Let me give a small hint....will you be in your car when that happens?

The "we pay their salary argument" will bite you in the rear-end everytime. If you are LEOs' boss because you pay taxes, LEOs are their own boss because they also pay taxes, ergo they pay their own salary and can use your arguement to tell you to go jump in a lake.

"Democracy is a sheep and two lions voting. Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote."
Ben Franklin
Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. [Re: Bear Charge] #3894933 12/29/12 03:47 PM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
You need to understand LE. So I'm going to explain it to you.

First, most decent people will only deal with LE on traffic because they are generally NOT criminals.

Secondly, officers generally do not set about on their own to work traffic. It comes down from the top. Just like your boss tells to you to do XYZ. If you want to keep your job you'll do it or go stand in the unemployment line.

Thirdly, officers work traffic because traffic collisions occupy so much of their time. If citizens would police themselves then there would be no need for the police to do it.

Finally, patrol officers are generalist. They're expected to do everything. As such, many lack the time, training, expertise, or resources to do specific jobs. They're assigned to a district and expected to respond to every call for service in that district. They're expected to patrol business districts, neighborhoods, schools. They're expected to do traffic enforcement. They're expected to take reports.

Once a report is taken it's handed over to a detective. He probably carries a case load of 30 or 40 cases at any given time. As such, he must prioritize them. Crimes against people (robbery, homicide, sexual assault, child abuse, assault) are priority one. Property crimes are second, or third.

The police chief will ask for more officers, more detectives, more money for training, etc, but it'll be a trade off. County Commissioners and City Councils will give a fraction of what was asked for. Therefore, LE is operating a step behind all the time.

The only exception will be when the politicians figure out that they can make money off of traffic enforcement. Then they'll approve a traffic division dedicated to one single task...Traffic Enforcement.

So before you blow off and blame it all on the dirty, rotten, donut eating cops perhaps you should take a more vested interest in your local happenings and understand them a little better. I encourage everyone to attend your local LE's Citizen Academy to really learn and understand what they do. And what you can do to make them more effective.

I'm not going to say that there aren't poorly managed and useless departments out there. I know of a few. But they generally a direct result of city management.

How can you, John Q. Citizen, change that?

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. [Re: LandPirate] #3894940 12/29/12 03:50 PM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
PS>>>> When it comes to revenue generation through traffic enforcement, follow the money.

It doesn't got into the department's budget. It goes into the counties or cities general fund. Now you see who is really driving this vehicle.

Most cops I know do not enjoy traffic enforcement. I personally hate it. I go out of my way to avoid it. But sometimes it's necessary because people do dumb crap all the time.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. [Re: LandPirate] #3895108 12/29/12 05:03 PM
W
wrknonit Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
When you're talking about small communities or rural areas, you gotta worry about who the LEO and the alleged perpetrator are too. I once had a neighbor get drunk, jump in his truck, come speed through my front yard, over my driveway and ram into the back end of my truck. He was obviously drunk and when the police got there, the officer just let him walk home. I was told that since nobody actually saw him driving, he couldn't arrest him. THE GUYS WRECKED TRUCK WAS STILL SITTING IN MY YARD, but somehow that wasn't proof enough that he had driven it there. Come to find out later that the responding officer and the neighbor were "old buddies" from high school and had played football together. Sometimes, LE is well aware of who the troublemakers are but since they are old friends, they do nothing.

Mike brings up good points. What do we expect them to do? I personally don't know, but something more than gets done would be nice.

And, no, I didn't pursue the matter with his superiors. I have to live here, and making enemies in local LE is not a good idea. So my only choice was to Suck it and deal with it.

Sometimes, it don't pay to fight the good ole' boys, especially when they have the authority to make yer life a living hell. Be careful.
texas

always room for another buddy!

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. [Re: wrknonit] #3895146 12/29/12 05:17 PM
G
graysonhuntndr Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G
I love how people keep defending the police and the LE. He is the one being robbed and nothing is happening from the people that hired by tax dollars to protect and serve.

Start stealing his stuff and shoot his horse!

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. [Re: graysonhuntndr] #3895193 12/29/12 05:30 PM
K
killemall Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
K
my experience is most are ticket writers period, when it comes to theiving you better take care of your own stuff, they write a report, tell you to get a secuirity system and go on their marry way. About the only time they ever catch a thief is when they completely luck into it. If you are fortunate to live in the county then you are truely on your own. It is what it is. Even filing a report is a waste of your time and the leo unless it is an insured item.

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. [Re: LandPirate] #3895430 12/29/12 06:48 PM
E
Enter Standman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
You need to understand LE. So I'm going to explain it to you.

First, most decent people will only deal with LE on traffic because they are generally NOT criminals.

Secondly, officers generally do not set about on their own to work traffic. It comes down from the top. Just like your boss tells to you to do XYZ. If you want to keep your job you'll do it or go stand in the unemployment line.

Thirdly, officers work traffic because traffic collisions occupy so much of their time. If citizens would police themselves then there would be no need for the police to do it.

Finally, patrol officers are generalist. They're expected to do everything. As such, many lack the time, training, expertise, or resources to do specific jobs. They're assigned to a district and expected to respond to every call for service in that district. They're expected to patrol business districts, neighborhoods, schools. They're expected to do traffic enforcement. They're expected to take reports.

Once a report is taken it's handed over to a detective. He probably carries a case load of 30 or 40 cases at any given time. As such, he must prioritize them. Crimes against people (robbery, homicide, sexual assault, child abuse, assault) are priority one. Property crimes are second, or third.

The police chief will ask for more officers, more detectives, more money for training, etc, but it'll be a trade off. County Commissioners and City Councils will give a fraction of what was asked for. Therefore, LE is operating a step behind all the time.

The only exception will be when the politicians figure out that they can make money off of traffic enforcement. Then they'll approve a traffic division dedicated to one single task...Traffic Enforcement.

So before you blow off and blame it all on the dirty, rotten, donut eating cops perhaps you should take a more vested interest in your local happenings and understand them a little better. I encourage everyone to attend your local LE's Citizen Academy to really learn and understand what they do. And what you can do to make them more effective.

I'm not going to say that there aren't poorly managed and useless departments out there. I know of a few. But they generally a direct result of city management.

How can you, John Q. Citizen, change that?

Nah, I'd rather just complain.

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. [Re: Enter Standman] #3895475 12/29/12 07:13 PM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
Yup, blame then Indians, not the chief.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. [Re: LandPirate] #3895544 12/29/12 07:46 PM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Last time I checked police officers only gave tickets to guys who were breaking the law. If you don't want to see them don't break the law.
Sunset, if you've been robbed more than once you need to rethink what you've been doing.

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. [Re: grout-scout] #3895562 12/29/12 07:55 PM
K
killemall Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
K
Grout scout you are right about him rethinking because calling Leo is a complete waste of time.

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. [Re: killemall] #3895584 12/29/12 08:03 PM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
Killem, I keep a special ticket book just for you buddy.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. [Re: killemall] #3895594 12/29/12 08:09 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
LP those were good posts.

I,too, get kinda sick at what I perceive is 98% traffic crap when I think of LE.
But 1)my perception is wrong because that just happens to be where I see/encounter LE and 2)to the extent that is the case it is local politicians who want it that way.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. [Re: retfuz] #3895608 12/29/12 08:15 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted By: retfuz
Whatever you do, don't leave a live rattle snake in the stand.

Or a bobcat.

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. [Re: killemall] #3895626 12/29/12 08:23 PM
R
rob valle Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Well its kind of hard to be upset when YOU are the one who left your gear unsecured. Folks always get mad when they leave their garages open and get burglarized or their vehicles running which get stolen. Remember that line from Full Metal Jacket? "If there is one thing in this world I hate, it is an unlocked footlocker! But seriously, keep your belongings secure, labeled in a hidden place, and take photos of them. As stated before, a twenty dollar heater is going to fall very low on the priority list. Give the investigator as much info as you can, and try to be patient...sometimes the system works.

Rob Valle
www.hillcotaxidermy.com
Originally Posted by Texsun
The three things you need in life are a good doctor, lawyer and taxidermist.

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. [Re: LandPirate] #3895654 12/29/12 08:37 PM
K
killemall Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
K
Killem, I keep a special ticket book just for you buddy.

Fine by me, money is not my problem, I will take the ticket or the lecture. Not both.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide