5131240 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#3819878 - 12/05/12 07:55 PM Re: Materials for a blind [Re: bholt]
JohnRussell Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Round Rock, TX
OH! Wow.. good idea.. that might be better than the OSB by far.. heck yea. I will look into that because the metal is not that much more.

Thanks for the idea!

Russ

#3820505 - 12/05/12 11:27 PM Re: Materials for a blind [Re: JohnRussell]
Ranch Dawg Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: GREAT STATE OF TEXAS
Make it 5x8 !! You will not regret it !!

#3820635 - 12/06/12 04:58 AM Re: Materials for a blind [Re: Ranch Dawg]
JohnRussell Offline
Pro Tracker

Well..if I use metal siding.. that would not be hard to do.

Thanks for the suggestions:)

R

#3820681 - 12/06/12 05:53 AM Re: Materials for a blind [Re: JohnRussell]
bholt Offline
Tracker

Loc: Georgetown,TX
The biggest cost will be the 3/4" flooring (don't skimp). Once you get something bigger than 4X4' you'll never go back. That blind has a shelf above the front window, 5" carpeted shel on three sides (made out of surplus 3/4" and a 2 corner shelves. I cannot tell you how pleasurable it is there is room for "stuff" and still room to move around. R panel will work that oue happens to be out of 5V.

#3820813 - 12/06/12 07:33 AM Re: Materials for a blind [Re: JohnRussell]
GLC Offline

Veteran Tracker

Loc: Burleson Texas
Next blind i build I am going to try this.
Camo Siding

#3821050 - 12/06/12 08:44 AM Re: Materials for a blind [Re: GLC]
bholt Offline
Tracker

Loc: Georgetown,TX
i will say this if possible take your time and most importantly think of most off the wall ideas them figure out how to make them happen. Imagination is a dangerous thing theres no telling where could lead if left unchecked.

#3821143 - 12/06/12 09:14 AM Re: Materials for a blind [Re: bholt]
JohnRussell Offline
Pro Tracker

To me... comfort and room and shelf space for all your 'stuff' would be the key aspects, so I am going to go with the 5x8 stand and see how it comes out.

Also goign to look at a metal siding as well. Is it loud compared to wood sides?

Lighter?

Was thinking if I go with a base that is large enough to allow a small "porch" to step into the stand on (i.e. base of 8x8) and then the stand a 5x8... my biggest worries would be how best to tie it down so the wind does not blow it over AND.. how tall to make it.

The easiest height would be 8ft tall, no need to cut the 4x4 posts.

Also.. I like the 4x4 "compoud elevators" that I listed in the first post, but are 4x4 posts enough, vs 4x6 or 6x6?

Then.. my ranch is all rock.. so... I guess set the stand over a really large cedar and around others, cut them down to like 6ft tall and anchor the stand to all of them.

Thanks for all the input guys... really do appreciate it.

Russ

#3821736 - 12/06/12 12:20 PM Re: Materials for a blind [Re: JohnRussell]
pafree Offline
Tracker

Loc: dayton, texas
Originally Posted By: JohnRussell

The easiest height would be 8ft tall, no need to cut the 4x4 posts.

Also.. I like the 4x4 "compoud elevators" that I listed in the first post, but are 4x4 posts enough, vs 4x6 or 6x6?

i used the elevator system on my 7 foot stand with 4x4's. home depot carries 6 and 7 foot 4'x4's if you don't want to go 8'. the base on top is 6'x6' and the elevator system brings the legs out to over 8'. the box stand on top is 6'x8' with a foot hanging over each end with a solid "false" floor.

Then.. my ranch is all rock.. so... I guess set the stand over a really large cedar and around others, cut them down to like 6ft tall and anchor the stand to all of them.

you have a good ideal with the tree. here is a recent thread if you haven't read it. http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u...own#Post3692951

To me... comfort and room and shelf space for all your 'stuff' would be the key aspects, so I am going to go with the 5x8 stand and see how it comes out.

Also goign to look at a metal siding as well. Is it loud compared to wood sides?

Lighter?

with the metal, you don't need as many wood stud/supports to screw it to. you can glue foam insulation or carpet to inside to reduce noise. 5x8 is a good size i have found with my 6x8 that can put a small cot in one end for over night hog hunts. if you go with R panels or even wavy metal sheeting then both come out to 6 feet with two (R panels) or 3 wavy panels. just a thought.

#3833685 - 12/10/12 02:15 PM Re: Materials for a blind [Re: pafree]
JohnRussell Offline
Pro Tracker

Excellent input.

I figured to use leftover 2x6 treated lumber for the floor. We have a lot of it and it would be like decking. I would not need to use 3/4 OSB on the floor then, just make the base as a platform and build the stand on top of that. The carpet and padding would cover and gaps in the 2x6 flooring.

Since the base would be 8x8 anyway (nothing to cut much then).. I could very easily make the stand itself larger, if needed. I want to go for comfort and the ability to hunt well into the night for hogs.

Going to the ranch this weekend to work on the cabin and get a good nventory of what wood I already have available.

R

#3834084 - 12/10/12 03:35 PM Re: Materials for a blind [Re: JohnRussell]
TheCloudX Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: McKinney, Texas
If you don't need it soon, you might be able to find a school that still does welding and have them do it as a class project. Don't know if many of them are still around.

We used OSB for the sides of ours back in the day, but went all out and added caulk to the sides and painted them every few years. The blinds were in great shape and lasted until we let the property go this year. I think about 6-7 years. The general rule of thumb we followed was to spend the extra money for the better wood and supplies and it'll save you money in the long term.

#3839656 - 12/12/12 12:52 AM Re: Materials for a blind [Re: TheCloudX]
JohnRussell Offline
Pro Tracker

I am going to the ranch this weekend to see what all I already have. Now, I might already have enough hardi-plank left over and could use that, or I could return it to HomeDepot and buy double the materials.. heh

That OSB with the realtree camo sure does look nice.

I also have a ton of 2x6x16's and 2x4's and 2x8s left over, so am going to inventory all that and bring home what I need.

If it all works out, I should only need to buy a few joist hangers and the roofing tin...not that much.

I'll update ya and get pictures as we build it wink

R

#3842750 - 12/12/12 09:34 PM Re: Materials for a blind [Re: JohnRussell]
Stan Dalone Offline
Light Foot

How I did mine 12 yrs ago 5x8, 4x6 legs 12ft high to a base made of 2x6's braced well, decked with 2x6 topped with 3/4 marine plywood. Hardie plank siding on 2x4 frame with an insulated sheet metal roof with a 16 inch overhang on all sides. Sealed with foam and caulk. All wood painted. I got the crank windows and a door from an old r/v. After repairing stands blown over, this time set 2, 5ft pcs drilling pipe at the SW & NE corners 4ft deep in concrete. A tractor with a front end loader and a pto digger make it a lot easier. Stand is still in great shape, always dry with no bugs and has never budged. I did repaint it 4 years ago. If you are on a lease long term you will not regret it.

#3859130 - 12/18/12 02:21 AM Re: Materials for a blind [Re: Stan Dalone]
Owen Offline
Green Horn

There are many kinds of blinds materials. But for windows blinds there is use of fabric, wood, plastic or metal types of materials. Most strongest among these are metal blinds that have a long life and maturity.

#3859192 - 12/18/12 05:41 AM Re: Materials for a blind [Re: Owen]
JohnRussell Offline
Pro Tracker

Ok.. so.. here is what I am planning to do.. easiest and least expensive.

I have $400 in home depot gift cards. lol. so time to use it:

Going to use 8 6x6 posts 12 ft long
Going to use the camo OSB and make sure to use drip edging and lots of calk
I have like 60 2x6x8s and not all are pressure treated, so I am going to paint them to protect them
Going to use treated 2x8x8's for the 8x8 base and then place 2x6x8's every 12" for joists.

Instead of a OSB floor, I am going to use those 2x6x8's I have

Gotta use all that extra wood.. heh

The roof will be regular galvanized metal roofing

I have extra insulation, so going to insulate the inside and then put thin paneling in to cover that.

Probably go with plexiglass and hinges for the windows, we have extra of that as well.

I am going to make the door open inwards instead of outwards, to make it safer getting into the blind.

Each corner of the base will have a large eye hook for cables to secure it downwards and outwards so that it will be safe from high winds.

I'll start on it the end of the month and post pictures.

#3859498 - 12/18/12 08:24 AM Re: Materials for a blind [Re: JohnRussell]
JohnRussell Offline
Pro Tracker

Anyone ever used 16ft 6x6 posts?

Curious if it is even worth doing that.

Funny how these things grow before you buy the parts.. lol

I think I will stick with 12ft.. heh

R

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2014 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide