Page 1 of 2 1 2
mice in the camper! #3554645 09/09/12 04:07 AM
L
lubbockdave Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
L
Got a old deer lease camper and mice have about taken over...what is the best way to rid the place of them before october archery season starts?

Re: mice in the camper! [Re: lubbockdave] #3554654 09/09/12 04:10 AM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
Set off a couple bug bombs to run em out and then put lots of bait under the camper.

Re: mice in the camper! [Re: BMD] #3554665 09/09/12 04:16 AM
Q
quackaholic1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Q
Originally Posted By: BMD
Set off a couple bug bombs to run em out and then put lots of bait under the camper.

X2 ^^^^This man acts like hes done it before.

Re: mice in the camper! [Re: quackaholic1] #3554743 09/09/12 04:57 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Mine too. I bought bait.

Re: mice in the camper! [Re: Txduckman] #3554894 09/09/12 12:23 PM
B
brent1 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Use the bait. Use traps or boards and check often. Clean it very well to rid the scent so others may not come in. Check all the elecrtical and hoses you can. Get ya some spray can foam and crawl underneath and seal every thing you see. They usually come up the tires and crawl on lines close to axles and get in through the closest penetration point.

Re: mice in the camper! [Re: brent1] #3554953 09/09/12 01:22 PM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
We used to have the natural way to get rid of mice in our old camper. I was sitting on the couch one day and a freaking SNAKE slithered across the tv cabinet, it got killed and I don't believe I ever stayed the night there again. Good thing though was it was just some kind of rat snake.

Re: mice in the camper! [Re: grout-scout] #3554997 09/09/12 01:40 PM
N
Nightlight Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
It is an ongoing battle for us. For best results keep it very clean, use the bug bombs, bait, traps, etc. Even have the plug in pest repellent units.

Re: mice in the camper! [Re: Nightlight] #3555006 09/09/12 01:43 PM
S
Sparky45 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
They come in where the pump lines come inside mostly under the sink

Pack those holes with really heavy duty duct tape wads

When you clean up droppings wear a mask
That stuff can kill you

The only easy day was yesterday

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Re: mice in the camper! [Re: Nightlight] #3555008 09/09/12 01:44 PM
#
#Hayraker Offline
Chihuahua
Chihuahua
#
throw a couple sacks of cats in there

#sigline
Re: mice in the camper! [Re: #Hayraker] #3555112 09/09/12 02:44 PM
D
deerfeeder Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
When you get to the point where you are going to sweep out or clean up their droppings and the rest of the mess they made I would suggest that you wear a mask over your nose and mouth.

Hantavirus (google it. It's killed 3 people in Yosemite Park this year) is deposit mainly by mice, but by other rodents also.

Re: mice in the camper! [Re: deerfeeder] #3555211 09/09/12 03:38 PM
R
ROCKMAN57 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Me n dad had a full blown rat living in our camper for a few years and try as we might we couldnt get rid of that darn thing.It had a nest down in the locker area where the water pump and storage area was.It chewed it's way through the wall into the camper.Every time we patched the hole it would chew another one.I think the darn thing was living off the rat bait we was putting out.It chewed up the plastic water lines under the trailer up twice.Finally we went to town and bought some large sized rat traps and baited them with peanut butter(Old lady in town) and one night heard the damdest commotion.The trap went off and dad's lab and that ole rat had a heck of a battle.In the morning there was a bloold trail leading to the hole in the wall and while we never found that darn thang we never heard or saw of it again.
P.S. It took the trap with it.

Keep your powder dry,the wind in your face and watch your backtrail.
Re: mice in the camper! [Re: ROCKMAN57] #3555525 09/09/12 06:27 PM
M
Mtn44 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
If you think mice are bad, try having three squirrels get into the trailer to live/die. It took a while and lots of air freshener to get over that one. Spray foam and bait seem to keep the mice away now.

Re: mice in the camper! [Re: Mtn44] #3555540 09/09/12 06:35 PM
K
Kawabuggy Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
K
Exclusion is the answer. You need to find out how they are getting in and then block those holes. I find that stuffing steel wool into the holes, and then injecting spray foam into the steel wool works well. That way, they can't chew through it again, and it will be air-tight.

As everyone else mentioned be careful sweeping, or cleaning, in there. We have a reported case of Hantavirus in Montgomery county (just north of Houston). It's not worth your life! The virus is in the droppings & urine, and becomes air borne when the surfaces that the droppings are on gets disturbed.

I would go around the entire camper plugging & foaming every single hole. Then put mouse traps out, then moth balls, and then, before you live/sleep in it, mix chlorine bleach with water and spray every surface down that won't get damaged by the bleach. That way it will kill any bacteria or germs before you clean it out.

A hog is nothing more than a bullet receptacle.
Re: mice in the camper! [Re: Kawabuggy] #3555735 09/09/12 07:52 PM
Dragonuv Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
If they are that heavy, I would expect a very bad smell if you use bait only. Use fox urine to chase the majority out, then use Contrac Blox. I would use Snake Away 48hrs before doing anything. That will chase out any snakes before getting rid of mice, which is their food source. Otherwise, you'll cause the snakes to move...and there is a 50% chance they'll end up inside.

Re: mice in the camper! [Re: Dragonuv] #3556310 09/10/12 12:25 AM
W
WTHunter75 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
I like stuffing steel wool in the holes first. They won't chew their way through it. Then if it will hold spray foam use it.

Re: mice in the camper! [Re: WTHunter75] #3556539 09/10/12 01:37 AM
M
Magicglock Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
I had one that kept building a nest in my BBQ. That was an easy fix. I stuffed the holes in the sides with rags, turned on the gas, started the burners, and went inside for 30 minutes. BBQ rat does not smell good! I shut down the fire, removed my propane tank and wheeled that grill to the curb. Now if only the camper was that easy.

Last edited by Magicglock; 09/10/12 01:38 AM.
Re: mice in the camper! [Re: Magicglock] #3556585 09/10/12 01:45 AM
T
TXMachinist Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
STuff the holes with steel wool, then spray foam them, then get a couple of little plastic bottles and hang under the trailer. Put cotton balls in the bottles and then put some fox urine in them. This will solve your problem.

Re: mice in the camper! [Re: TXMachinist] #3556590 09/10/12 01:46 AM
T
TXMachinist Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Oh, make sure and keep the fox urine fresh. Every time you go to the trailer, freshin it up.

Re: mice in the camper! [Re: WTHunter75] #3558930 09/10/12 09:26 PM
W
wall8053 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
Originally Posted By: WTHunter75
I like stuffing steel wool in the holes first. They won't chew their way through it. Then if it will hold spray foam use it.

This right here ^^^^ first plup your holes with steel wool then push the straw for the spray foam into the steel wool and fill er up. The foam expands into the steel wool holding it into place and deters their chewing into that entry point.

Re: mice in the camper! [Re: wall8053] #3559230 09/10/12 11:21 PM
R
rofd1374 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Your going to laugh but I have done this for 4 years right before deer season and I have had no more problems with mice . Go buy a box of the strongest smelling downy dryer sheets and throw behind everything and under everything in your camper . You can also find somewhere that's still sells peppermint oil and throw a cap or two full in the camper and it will clear you of any and all mice and smells good lol.

instagram.com/mcgrawimages
Re: mice in the camper! [Re: rofd1374] #3583837 09/19/12 12:03 AM
L
lubbockdave Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
L
Thanks for the advise all!!

Re: mice in the camper! [Re: lubbockdave] #3583934 09/19/12 12:41 AM
N
nick_adams Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
N

On a related note, when I was first reclaiming my grandparents old house after the last renters moved out, I knew I had mice in there. I put out a bunch of glue boards, and something got in them, chewed them up, and then got out, and was still wandering around.

I was sleeping on a futon in the living room, and heard a noise in the middle of the night from the kitchen. Turned on a flashlight and played it around and saw a HUGE freaking rat up against the wall beside the refrigerator. I shut off the light and laid back down and started thinking about how to kill him.

I really wanted to just shoot him... but you cant shoot guns in the house.

He was behind the fridge so I couldnt get to him to kill him with a stick.

He was already known to be more than a match for my glue boards.

I couldnt really throw anything at him or stomp on him.

I really wanted to just shoot him... But you cant shoot guns in the house.... Hey, theres no one here but me! Who says you cant shoot guns in the house? I will be super careful, I can shoot low into the baseplate of the wall framing, what could go wrong?? it will be fine! smile

So I go to get my 10/22 out of the gun cabinet. I'll be back you stupid rat!

I lay back down on the futon and silently listen. After a bit, I hear him scrabble around again, and I roll off the futon, set up using my pillow as a rest, and shine him up.

There he is, UNDER the refrigerator! I can't shoot him there, ca n I?, Wait! There is a good inch and half of clear space, I can thread one right in on him.

I hold a little high for scope offset at 15 feet, aim super carefully and send a .22 LR under the fridge. (Luckily I put in ear plugs, even a .22 is loud indoors...) The stupid rat flinches and humps his back and moves a little. Convinced I grazed him, I send another one in, holding a little higher!

This time he instantly runs out from behind the fridge and is up against the corner of the wall and the cabinet. I have a clear 3" wide alley on him, and I let him have it! Again holding high for scope offset. I miss, but this time I see the hole appear in the wall over his head. At this point, I am pretty amped up. I now know exactly where to hold, and I drop the crosshairs just a bit and put two into him as fast as I can pull the trigger. He quivers a little and is done!

I then look up and realize there is a pall of gunsmoke hanging over the living room, my pillow is covered in brass, there are five bullet holes in the wall, and a modest amount of rat blood back in the corner...

F*** yeah! Take that you stupid rat!! smile

Luckily all the bullets were in fact stopped by the baseplate in the wall, the holes were small, I only grazed part of the metal on the fridge once, and I was a good ten inches from the gas line in the wall that I had totally forgotten about...

Ya know, it probably is a good idea to not shoot guns in the house... smile

Re: mice in the camper! [Re: #Hayraker] #3584372 09/19/12 02:13 AM
D
DocJatTTU Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted By: Hayraker
throw a couple sacks of cats in there

My thoughts exactly!

Re: mice in the camper! [Re: DocJatTTU] #3584389 09/19/12 02:17 AM
donswin Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Patch all entry holes, stuff steel wool, clean the trailer well, vacuum under the cabinets and any nooks and crannies.

Then set some traps (sticky or snap) and put a ton of dryer sheets (Bounce) everywhere. It really works, but you do have to change them out every few months.

Re: mice in the camper! [Re: nick_adams] #3584423 09/19/12 02:26 AM
Mr Redneck Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: nick_adams

On a related note, when I was first reclaiming my grandparents old house after the last renters moved out, I knew I had mice in there. I put out a bunch of glue boards, and something got in them, chewed them up, and then got out, and was still wandering around.

I was sleeping on a futon in the living room, and heard a noise in the middle of the night from the kitchen. Turned on a flashlight and played it around and saw a HUGE freaking rat up against the wall beside the refrigerator. I shut off the light and laid back down and started thinking about how to kill him.

I really wanted to just shoot him... but you cant shoot guns in the house.

He was behind the fridge so I couldnt get to him to kill him with a stick.

He was already known to be more than a match for my glue boards.

I couldnt really throw anything at him or stomp on him.

I really wanted to just shoot him... But you cant shoot guns in the house.... Hey, theres no one here but me! Who says you cant shoot guns in the house? I will be super careful, I can shoot low into the baseplate of the wall framing, what could go wrong?? it will be fine! smile

So I go to get my 10/22 out of the gun cabinet. I'll be back you stupid rat!

I lay back down on the futon and silently listen. After a bit, I hear him scrabble around again, and I roll off the futon, set up using my pillow as a rest, and shine him up.

There he is, UNDER the refrigerator! I can't shoot him there, ca n I?, Wait! There is a good inch and half of clear space, I can thread one right in on him.

I hold a little high for scope offset at 15 feet, aim super carefully and send a .22 LR under the fridge. (Luckily I put in ear plugs, even a .22 is loud indoors...) The stupid rat flinches and humps his back and moves a little. Convinced I grazed him, I send another one in, holding a little higher!

This time he instantly runs out from behind the fridge and is up against the corner of the wall and the cabinet. I have a clear 3" wide alley on him, and I let him have it! Again holding high for scope offset. I miss, but this time I see the hole appear in the wall over his head. At this point, I am pretty amped up. I now know exactly where to hold, and I drop the crosshairs just a bit and put two into him as fast as I can pull the trigger. He quivers a little and is done!

I then look up and realize there is a pall of gunsmoke hanging over the living room, my pillow is covered in brass, there are five bullet holes in the wall, and a modest amount of rat blood back in the corner...

F*** yeah! Take that you stupid rat!! smile

Luckily all the bullets were in fact stopped by the baseplate in the wall, the holes were small, I only grazed part of the metal on the fridge once, and I was a good ten inches from the gas line in the wall that I had totally forgotten about...

Ya know, it probably is a good idea to not shoot guns in the house... smile

I used to have mice in a old house I lived in, I would cut the end off a 20 g and dump the shot, then shoot them, Lots of fun and no holes

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide