Forum Stats
52180 Members
41 Forums
376082 Topics
4835091 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#3423128 - 07/29/12 10:58 PM Zombie pig and sub-par bullet performance...
dkershen Online   content

THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: DFW
Rolled up on a herd of 13 pigs yesterday while checking cows, and put the biggest sow down with head shot (actually eye shot) at 270 yards using my 6.8SPC and 110gr Ballistic Tip Hornady V-Max Loads. Sow went straight down and I thought she was DRT. Spent 45 mins tracking down and dispatching two other pigs. When I got back to the big sow she had stood up and was walking in a tight circle right where I left left her,and was making a low growling sound. Looked and acted like a Zombie pig IMO.. and no I donít have picísÖ sorry. Was totally amazed she wasnít dead being shot in the head. After putting her down for good I inspected the head shot and saw that it hit right on the edge of the orbital bone. Looks like the bullet blew her eye out and then did a frontal piggy lobotomy on her brain. Iím not impressed at all with this round, accurate as heck, but fragging on impact with bone like that makes it worthless on pigs as far as Iím concerned.

Any suggestions on a 6.8spc load that wonít break the bank? And isnít a ballistic tip?

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

#3423321 - 07/30/12 02:54 AM Re: Zombie pig and sub-par bullet performance... [Re: dkershen]
Double Naught Spy Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Forestburg, Montague Cnty, TX
If you hit the orbital bone, you should not have needed the round to stay together to do the damage needed. It sounds like your trajectory was off. A more solid bullet may have simply deflected if you hit the edge.

I shot a young boar in the head with a .308 at 75 yads that took out a chunk of skull, exited skull right, and punched a nice round hole through the ear.

The point is if the shot does not land correctly given the angles, you can have weird stuff happen. My pig dropped and was dead, but not because the bullet went through the brain. It missed the brain...completely. BFT apparently killed the pig.

#3423322 - 07/30/12 02:55 AM Re: Zombie pig and sub-par bullet performance... [Re: Double Naught Spy]
Pro Tracker

Otherwise, go with Barnes solid copper projectiles.

#3423340 - 07/30/12 05:09 AM Re: Zombie pig and sub-par bullet performance... [Re: Double Naught Spy]
Chief Joe Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Fredericktown, Ohio
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy

up

Winston S. Churchill - "Sometimes doing your best is not good enough. Sometimes you must do what is required."

#3423400 - 07/30/12 07:04 AM Re: Zombie pig and sub-par bullet performance... [Re: Double Naught Spy]

THF Trophy Hunter

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Big barns TSX fan, but have not seen anybody load it in a 6.8spc.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

#3423413 - 07/30/12 07:13 AM Re: Zombie pig and sub-par bullet performance... [Re: dkershen]
eneat1119 Offline
Tracker

Loc: MIDLAND
Yeah, the VMax isn't worth much when it comes to hogs. I use the Barnes 110gr TSX or Hornadys 120gr SST. No more zombie pigs. wink

#3423446 - 07/30/12 07:30 AM Re: Zombie pig and sub-par bullet performance... [Re: eneat1119]
Pro Tracker

Sorry, I was sort of doing the zombie thing when I posted last night. TSX is what I did have in mind. I bought them for .223 loaded by Silver State Armory and have been pleased with accuracy, but haven't seen a hog in 2 months at my place to shoot. I don't think I have seen a single bad review of Barnes TSX and assumed they should be good for 6.8.

Here are a couple of hogs I shot with .45-70, 30-35 yards, with Hornady Leverevolution 325 gr. ammo. Both were younger boars shot 30 minutes apart, the second boar shot examining its dead partner. The first was smaller and shot at the base of the ear. He dropped. The round exited the opposite side on the neck. Massive brain/skull damage - not! Clipped the bottom of the skull nicely at the brain stem and broke it off, but I was expecting the round to go through the brain. The round managed to hit where the top of the mandible would almost be, but the mandible was unharmed.

Second and larger pig was hit an inch forward and slightly down, ear folded over. Same expected result. Bullet exited opposite side of the neck. As the with the first, the trajectory was through the head, but it wasn't. I completely missed damaging the skull and mandible. I shot the hog in the side of the head near the ear and missed the whole fricking skull!!!

So my disucssion above about your trajectory being off wasn't meant as a criticism, but just to not how things can be off slightly and not go as intended even when you know you placed the shot beautifully. I certainly "knew" I did. One shot was perfect (I thought) and the other within an inch of the same place and things did not turn out as I expected other than both being DRT.

Edited by Double Naught Spy (07/30/12 08:11 AM)

#3423532 - 07/30/12 08:02 AM Re: Zombie pig and sub-par bullet performance... [Re: Double Naught Spy]
FIREDAVIS Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Kingwood/Houston
http://www.ssarmory.com/6.8_spc_ammo-110_barnes_tsx_tactical_load.aspx

This is the load that works best in my limited research. I have shot little pigs with my 300 blackout vmax loads and they drop and then run off never to be found. Barnes is the way to go for sure!

#3423860 - 07/30/12 09:56 AM Re: Zombie pig and sub-par bullet performance... [Re: FIREDAVIS]

THF Trophy Hunter

Originally Posted By: FIREDAVIS

This is the load that works best in my limited research. I have shot little pigs with my 300 blackout vmax loads and they drop and then run off never to be found. Barnes is the way to go for sure!

Bingo.. Just what I'm looking for. SSA was very smart to go to this combo, thanks for pointing it out. Just wish it where more reasonably priced. Hate kissing good-bye to a $30 bill every time I dump a mag.

#3423875 - 07/30/12 10:01 AM Re: Zombie pig and sub-par bullet performance... [Re: dkershen]
FIREDAVIS Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Kingwood/Houston
Originally Posted By: dkershen
Originally Posted By: FIREDAVIS

Bingo.. Just what I'm looking for. SSA was very smart to go to this combo, thanks for pointing it out. Just wish it where more reasonably priced. Hate kissing good-bye to a $30 bill every time I dump a mag.

Just shoot straighter grin . I hate it myself but that is why I reload now. Here is a link to all the 6.8 ammo. The prohunter load will do better than the vmax for sure maybe try that before going to the barnes or buy a box of each.

http://www.ssarmory.com/6.8ammunitionsales.aspx

#3423926 - 07/30/12 10:20 AM Re: Zombie pig and sub-par bullet performance... [Re: FIREDAVIS]
pyledriver Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Plano, Tx
The Hornady SST does better than the Vmax as well. Not saying it's better than Barnes or any others, but just that I know it works well after seeing 50+ pigs shot with that 6.8 load. You'll have to shop around for sure, but it can generally be found around $25/box. As pointed out, the only way to go anywhere near 'cheap' with a 6.8 is to reload.

http://pyledriver-itsallanadventure.blogspot.com/
http://www.tejashardscapes.com

#3424296 - 07/30/12 12:31 PM Re: Zombie pig and sub-par bullet performance... [Re: eneat1119]
pafree Offline
Tracker

Loc: dayton, texas
Originally Posted By: eneat1119
Yeah, the VMax isn't worth much when it comes to hogs. I use the Barnes 110gr TSX or Hornadys 120gr SST. No more zombie pigs. wink

#3425218 - 07/30/12 04:49 PM Re: Zombie pig and sub-par bullet performance... [Re: pafree]
Adelbridge Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: San Antonio, Texas
at 270 yards you retain maybe 900 ft lbs of energy, over a foot of drop and significant wind drift for a headshot. The shot represents above average marksmanship. Maybe the brand of bullet isnt the issue, you just wont get significant expansion out of any 6.8 at those ranges.

#3426013 - 07/30/12 08:11 PM Re: Zombie pig and sub-par bullet performance... [Re: Adelbridge]
FroggerZack Online   content
Bird Dog

Loc: Diana....
Try these but you gotta buy a PRI mag to shoot em!

6.8_spc_ammo_140gr_VLD_Berger

#3426723 - 07/30/12 10:43 PM Re: Zombie pig and sub-par bullet performance... [Re: Adelbridge]

THF Trophy Hunter

Originally Posted By: Adelbridge
at 270 yards you retain maybe 900 ft lbs of energy, over a foot of drop and significant wind drift for a headshot. The shot represents above average marksmanship. Maybe the brand of bullet isnt the issue, you just wont get significant expansion out of any 6.8 at those ranges.

900 lbs is about right. I'm zero'd half an inch high at 200, and factored a 9 inch drop at 300. (range finder had the shot at 278 yrds) Had a rock solid rest and no wind. Held crosshairs on tip of her ears and let fly. Little luck and a little know how led to the eye socket hit. (BTW... 6.8spc drops like a rock out past 300yrds, so I know my limits with this round) All that said, I bet the TSX would have put her down on the exact same shot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2014 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide