Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
New Foxpro Wildfire owner has questions.... #3290913 06/13/12 04:56 AM
donswin Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
I just got a Foxpro Wildfire and am anxious to see (hear) it in action.

I have a few new sounds I'd like to add and downloaded the programming utility.

I have 2 questions on this unit:

1. What is the range for the remote? (How far away can you be)?

2. If you follow the file nomenclature standards, can't you just copy the sounds to the sd card? Mine did not come with a usb port. Once copied, I understand there is another process to transfer the available file names to the remote.

Thanks!

Re: New Foxpro Wildfire owner has questions.... [Re: donswin] #3291772 06/13/12 04:21 PM
1FowlHntR Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Donswin, I too am the proud owner of the wildfire and the way I understand it you'll need a way to transfer them to the SD card....here is what I came up with. USB 2.0 SDHC Card Reader + Micro SD / TF Adapter. You can look them up on Ebay and see what they are. From Cabelas website, I got the following answer for the distance of the range of the remote.....With fresh batteries the remote included with the FoxProŽ Wildfire Electronic Caller has a range up to 200 yards. This is based on line of sight and distance will be reduced if there is any type of obstruction. Hope this helps you out some!!

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Re: New Foxpro Wildfire owner has questions.... [Re: 1FowlHntR] #3292043 06/13/12 05:55 PM
donswin Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Thanks 1FowlHntR,

The range is encouraging. I just want to work the remote from my blind to a hunting area that is about 125 yards away. That should work. My hog light remote handles it.

I have a netbook just for hunting. It has a card reader built in & that is how I retrieve my game camera pictures. If the Foxpro "programming" is as simple as copying files from one device to another, I'm set. Sometimes proprietary equipment makes it more difficult, but apparently Foxpro is customer friendly.

Re: New Foxpro Wildfire owner has questions.... [Re: donswin] #3293112 06/14/12 02:10 AM
1FowlHntR Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
It is as simple as copying files from one file to another, I got my card reader today and went to work....just copied and pasted the ones I bought to the file I opened up from the disk and it showed up when I put the card back in the caller and powered everything back up. Pretty simple even from an 'Ol hillbilly from Kentucky.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Re: New Foxpro Wildfire owner has questions.... [Re: 1FowlHntR] #3293159 06/14/12 02:33 AM
donswin Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
I had a real challenge getting it to work. The Foxpro instructions are designed for people who never used a computer. I build and program my own.

I have some experimenting to do. I think it acts funky if your files are not numbered sequentially. I know the Wildfire can hold 200 files numbered between 000-199. NOTHING ELSE.

Their "Programmer utility" is a piece of crap. It fails to recognize the presence of files on the SD card and prevents adding files to it. You'd think I had the write protect tab enabled. My best success was using Windows to transfer files just as I would copying between partitions.

I noticed, if a number was skipped, there was a gap in the file listings and I was not able to view all files on the remote. It may have been because I mixed Foxpro files with mp3 & wav files.

What worked (but I'm not through playing with it) is only Foxpro files with sequential numbers.

Once I find a few favorites, I'll be set.

Re: New Foxpro Wildfire owner has questions.... [Re: donswin] #3293194 06/14/12 02:48 AM
1FowlHntR Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Welll I'm a DUMBARSE when it comes to computers.....lol what I did was copy and paste, and I think it automatically fell into sequential order for me. maybe I just got lucky?? Regardless, we've both got the newest most reasonably priced best featured machine out there!! Did you take advantage of the cabelas sale to buy yours like I did?

Re: New Foxpro Wildfire owner has questions.... [Re: 1FowlHntR] #3293304 06/14/12 03:23 AM
donswin Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
I did download various files and had to rename them to meet Foxpro nomenclature specs. I got greedy and started with 100 files of various types and numbered to help organize them.

When I went back to basics & used only Foxpro files sequentially numbered, it worked. Baby steps. It is also possible something bad happened when I linked to my remote. It updated amazingly fast for the number of files, so something in my file names must have caused it to truncate most of them.

I got my unit when I randomly ran across BudsGunShop in my search. They had a pretty good price. About $177 delivered. Good experience. I ordered it Friday night & it was delivered Tuesday.

I bought some additional files from Foxpro. As a beginner, I wanted to have the 25 top user recommended sounds. I'll probably end up using 1 or 2.

Last edited by donswin; 06/14/12 03:24 AM.
Re: New Foxpro Wildfire owner has questions.... [Re: donswin] #3293626 06/14/12 11:43 AM
B
Bob in TX Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
FOXPRO has great customer service. One phone call should solve all your problems.

Good Hunting!!!!

The Texas Predator Posse
NRA Life Member/TSRA Life Member

Re: New Foxpro Wildfire owner has questions.... [Re: Bob in TX] #3294134 06/14/12 04:09 PM
donswin Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Bob, you are so right about that.

I called them before I started with a few questions on card capacity etc and got a real person right away who answered my questions fully. One of the best support experiences I've had.

On that note, my best customer service experiences have been with products for hunting and shooting. I think there is a strong message in that.

I just called Foxpro to confirm that the files MUST be sequentially numbered. I had used the file numbers to separate them by animal. That was my initial problem. If there is a missing number, the upload to the remote will stop (explaining my very fast upload).

It is ok to mix file types (fxp, mp3,wav) on the card.

Now for that bobcat that keeps showing up in my camera....

Re: New Foxpro Wildfire owner has questions.... [Re: donswin] #3296798 06/15/12 05:51 PM
B
Bob in TX Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Good hunting!!

The Texas Predator Posse
NRA Life Member/TSRA Life Member

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide