Forums46
Topics538,672
Posts9,739,915
Members87,102
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: BOBO the Clown] #3233656 05/19/12 12:09 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted By: bill oxner
I'd say more. It takes around 1,000 acres each year for quail. How much for deer?

Stupid point ... CC per quail is much lower then cc per deer...and every region is different.

If that is the case, our ranch is way over populated.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: txshntr] #3233670 05/19/12 12:19 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Oops wrong word got it backwards higher cc smile

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: BOBO the Clown] #3233671 05/19/12 12:20 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Oops wrong word got it backwards higher cc smile

grin

Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: westtex75] #3233699 05/19/12 12:44 AM
B
blanked Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
I have been out of the loop on this. Wow. It sure can get personal sometimes

Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: blanked] #3233705 05/19/12 12:53 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Thus the reason for declining hunters....others over the top view of sporting

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: blanked] #3234010 05/19/12 04:04 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: blanked
I have been out of the loop on this. Wow. It sure can get personal sometimes

Some call it personal and some call it passionate...either way, Bobo is correct and it isn't just in the upland bird section.

Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: txshntr] #3234259 05/19/12 02:00 PM
G
GOLDSTEIN Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Every hunter has his primary passion. My number one has always been hunting trophy whitetail. That may slightly be changing to chasing elk in the mountains with my bow, but I still think I will always get worked up about a big whitetail buck.

That being said:
I like to hunt quail over dogs.
I like to hunt quail from a top drive.
I like to hunt pheasant in any form/fasion.
I like to hunt ducks on the coast, on stock tanks, and in the Cheasapeke.
I enjoy taking my wife to shoot exotics just the same.
I like to sit around with a cooler of beer and shoot at passing dove.

Essentially, if it involves me being outdoors chasing any sort of game with a rifle, shotgun, or bow, I am all for it. I have no reason to fault anyone for their choice of preferred hunting method.

Retirement Planning & Asset Management
www.SullivanFinancialPartners.com
Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: GOLDSTEIN] #3234366 05/19/12 02:54 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: GOLDSTEIN

Essentially, if it involves me being outdoors chasing any sort of game with a rifle, shotgun, or bow, I am all for it. I have no reason to fault anyone for their choice of preferred hunting method.

up

Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: txshntr] #3234919 05/19/12 09:55 PM
R
Raymond07 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
As a whole real quail hunters (hunters that only hunt quail, or quail and other upland birds are their primary quarry) are much more serious than are deer hunters. The time and monetary commitment is much greater for quail hunters.
Also, T Boone did buy that ranch for Quail hunting.

Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: Raymond07] #3235199 05/20/12 12:59 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
How about Nolan Ryan?

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: bill oxner] #3235771 05/20/12 02:05 PM
R
Raymond07 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
What about Nolan? a Pointer man, of course.

Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: Raymond07] #3235782 05/20/12 02:16 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Raymond07
What about Nolan? a Pointer man, of course.

He's one of the best quail shots I've ever seen. I got invited to a lease where he was hunting one weekend. We didn't hunt together but our paths crossed on a covey rise. He's deadly.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: bill oxner] #3235924 05/20/12 04:03 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
How about Nolan Ryan?

Nolan bought his ranch just for quail hunting? And expanded it just for quail hunting? Because sure a lot of deer shot off it....... I know couple people that hunt it and a friend sold Nolan part of that ranch. Just because a man hunts and bought his ranch for recreation, doesn't mean its soley for one species. His granddaughter shot a mighty fine management deer last year.

Like saying George Straight bought his ranch just for quail hunting, just because he quail hunts...even though its double high fenced

Boone does have pastures he dedicates to quail hunting, but the large majority was acquired for its sub surface production. Most of his stuff isn't exactly high end cattle country. My grandfather and him ran same circles.

Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: Raymond07] #3235944 05/20/12 04:14 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Raymond07
As a whole real quail hunters (hunters that only hunt quail, or quail and other upland birds are their primary quarry) are much more serious than are deer hunters. The time and monetary commitment is much greater for quail hunters.
Also, T Boone did buy that ranch for Quail hunting.

A purest in any line of hunting can say that. I know guys that spent millions on ranches just for deer, and spend a ton just on increasing their cc year after year, and still take trips all over the US for WT's. Got friends that are purely duck hunters spent thousands of dollars on getting dogs to the master title, and spend 6k a year on leases...and still spend money on guided trips just to experience new settings.

There are also guys on THF that spend 10's of thousands each year hunting many different species.

Most hunters spend the up most they can afford to spend on hunting...no matter the game

Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: BOBO the Clown] #3235980 05/20/12 04:41 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
But back to the OP its a shame to put less then respectable tags on people that have not yet come to the same life cycle of hunting as you... IMO.

I don't care if my kids hunt upland with a pellet gun, a blow gun or shotgun...as long as it sets a foundation for them enjoying the outdoors. the higher lifecycle that the OP makes mention with come with time, and growth

Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: BOBO the Clown] #3235989 05/20/12 04:47 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
But back to the OP its a shame to put less then respectable tags on people that have not yet come to the same life cycle of hunting as you... IMO.

I don't care if my kids hunt upland with a pellet gun, a blow gun or shotgun...as long as it sets a foundation for them enjoying the outdoors. the higher lifecycle that the OP makes mention with come with time, and growth

So, you'd take issue, if someone on another forum wrote that fly fishing and quail hunting over pointing dogs were the most elite, of the outdoors sports.

[Linked Image]

Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: bill oxner] #3236097 05/20/12 06:00 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
http://www.livestockweekly.com/papers/03/11/20/scrollins.asp

But quail were the order of the day. And over the next several hours, Annie pointed 14 coveys; eight were bobwhites and six were blues. And while the shooting wasn’t a perfect game, it was an above average display of shotgunning. Ryan carried an over/under .410 and Mr. Wells toted a 28-gauge over/under. On one particular covey rise, each downed two birds, which is about all you can expect from a double-gun. The record as far as I’m concerned is shared by my colleague Billy Higginbotham and running buddy from high school Rodney Heflin, who each downed five bobwhites on the wing in two successive shots. And I’m not taking their word for it (especially not from these characters!); I witnessed both incidents.

[Linked Image]

Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: BOBO the Clown] #3236174 05/20/12 07:03 PM
B
blanked Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
[quote=BOBO the Clown]But back to the OP its a shame to put less then respectable tags on people that have not yet come to the same life cycle of hunting as you... IMO.

I clearly stated in the original post there is nothing wrong with being a meat hunter.
I get the feeling the posters that get defensive anyway are the ones pushing there hunting style onto all hunters and causing the wall to go up

Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: bill oxner] #3236195 05/20/12 07:26 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

So, you'd take issue, if someone on another forum wrote that fly fishing and quail hunting over pointing dogs were the most elite, of the outdoors sports.

No not at all I'd laugh, I've fly fished and hunted over pointing dogs my entire life. But I'm not elitist enough to talk down or look down how how people hunt. Now I would take offense to them talking down to someone for keeping trout to eat, or talking down to how someone hunts.

Like me telling some one if you can't hoof it full out to chase quail instead of using a gator or ranger... It's time for you to hang it up. There would be no need for a comment like that.

Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: bill oxner] #3236202 05/20/12 07:31 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
http://www.livestockweekly.com/papers/03/11/20/scrollins.asp

But quail were the order of the day. And over the next several hours, Annie pointed 14 coveys; eight were bobwhites and six were blues. And while the shooting wasn’t a perfect game, it was an above average display of shotgunning. Ryan carried an over/under .410 and Mr. Wells toted a 28-gauge over/under. On one particular covey rise, each downed two birds, which is about all you can expect from a double-gun. The record as far as I’m concerned is shared by my colleague Billy Higginbotham and running buddy from high school Rodney Heflin, who each downed five bobwhites on the wing in two successive shots. And I’m not taking their word for it (especially not from these characters!); I witnessed both incidents.

. Do you not see the humor in a article that states Ryan and his cattle partner in it, as you inferred he bought his ranch soley for quail hunting. Even though they are not on his ranch.

I own and operate several sections, we hunt quail, whitetails, mulies, ducks, pheasant, rabbits, and antelope on it. Just because I like to engage in these things and do improvements to help wildlife... In no form or fashion does that make my ranch's sole purpose is to hunt that species.

Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: blanked] #3236205 05/20/12 07:32 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: blanked
[quote=BOBO the Clown]But back to the OP its a shame to put less then respectable tags on people that have not yet come to the same life cycle of hunting as you... IMO.

I clearly stated in the original post there is nothing wrong with being a meat hunter.
I get the feeling the posters that get defensive anyway are the ones pushing there hunting style onto all hunters and causing the wall to go up

Blanked my reposes are pointed toward bill and no other on this forum. More or less trying to get the thread back on track.. I would hope every bird we shot is at least partly for the meat and dinner table

Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: BOBO the Clown] #3236274 05/20/12 08:24 PM
P
Pointer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
For alot of us, the dog work is what is the important thing about quail hunting.
Quail hunting gives my dogs a reason to exist, and me a reason to have them. And yes, the thrill comes in seeing the dog go from full out to a hard-slammed point in a heartbeat, or finding him on point and holding a covey long after people who don't believe in him like you do have begun to wonder if he has run off. Or witnessing a dog snatch a cripple desperately trying to escape out of mid air and delivering it tenderly to hand.
Yes, I want to see quail in the bag at the end of the day, because the hunt cannot be called a success without a harvest, but in my case, it is the means to an end.

Am I a meat hunter? Well, yes I suppose I am, altho this post was meant to illustrate the opposite. bang

Last edited by Pointer; 05/20/12 09:21 PM.
Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: Pointer] #3257306 05/31/12 12:28 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Paul Wallace was a meat hunter. He came down from the hills in Arkansas, with a whole clan of holy rollers. All their wives and daughters wore their dresses with sleeves down below their elbows. We called them hillbillies.

I lived on a cotton farm in Lee county Arkansas. We had a pasture for milk cows, a couple of mules, and a few angus. There were a pair of bobwhite quail near the road south of our house. You could hear the rooster calling, and see the pair almost every afternoon in the spring.

Paul Wallace sat in the back of the pickup with a pump shotgun, while his cousin drove him by the pasture. He shot the rooster and the hen with one shot. I watched it from my back yard. I hated Paul Wallace ever since.

[Linked Image]

Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: bill oxner] #3257319 05/31/12 12:38 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Paul Wallace was a meat hunter.

Paul Wallace sat in the back of the pickup with a pump shotgun, while his cousin drove him by the pasture. He shot the rooster and the hen with one shot. I watched it from my back yard. I hated Paul Wallace ever since.

Well add me and my family to that list... I have no issue with how you shoot your birds as long as they are still edible after words

Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: BOBO the Clown] #3257352 05/31/12 12:51 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Paul Wallace was a meat hunter.

Well add me and my family to that list... I have no issue with how you shoot your birds as long as they are still edible after words
. In the spring out of season, from a county road, on someones else's property, while they are nesting?

Last edited by bill oxner; 05/31/12 01:03 AM.

[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide