Print Thread
Wood duck boxes! #3061590 03/03/12 10:02 PM
D
duckiller Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
D
Lamar County Delta Waterfowl in conjunction with Paris Junior High Outdoor Program put out 25 wood duck boxes today. LCDW provided the materials and the Junior High Outdoor Class built the boxes. A few of the students even made it out with us to install them today.:tu

Re: Wood duck boxes! [Re: duckiller] #3061763 03/04/12 12:09 AM
C
Cappy_TX Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Congratulations ... nice to see folks giving back to the sport ... especially the young ones!

Just as a suggestion and not a criticism, whoever made the boxes should make the tops a little larger all the way around so there's an inch or so overhang which helps keep rain from leaking in.

Also, if they'll attach a small perch strip just below the entry hole, the ducks will have a much easier time landing there and climbing in. A 3" length of 1/2" quarter round or corner molding works great.

Edit: Opps, just now caught it. Looks like the boxes were made on the economy plan from all the same sized lumber. That's why there only an overhang on one side of the top. But there's no side access door for adding nesting materials, inspecting and cleaning out?

Last edited by Cappy_TX; 03/04/12 12:13 AM.

Cappy ... At my side for thirteen years, in my heart forever.
Re: Wood duck boxes! [Re: Cappy_TX] #3061945 03/04/12 01:38 AM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
That’s great Stephen, thanks for posting. Let’s see some winter pics of those kids putting some ducks on a strap. up

Re: Wood duck boxes! [Re: Cappy_TX] #3062705 03/04/12 03:26 PM
D
duckiller Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Cappy_TX
Congratulations ... nice to see folks giving back to the sport ... especially the young ones!

Just as a suggestion and not a criticism, whoever made the boxes should make the tops a little larger all the way around so there's an inch or so overhang which helps keep rain from leaking in.

Also, if they'll attach a small perch strip just below the entry hole, the ducks will have a much easier time landing there and climbing in. A 3" length of 1/2" quarter round or corner molding works great.

Edit: Opps, just now caught it. Looks like the boxes were made on the economy plan from all the same sized lumber. That's why there only an overhang on one side of the top. But there's no side access door for adding nesting materials, inspecting and cleaning out?

To access you just remove a few screws and the entire front comes off. I like your idea with the molding. I just might go back and add that.

Re: Wood duck boxes! [Re: duckiller] #3062742 03/04/12 04:01 PM
C
Cappy_TX Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: duckiller

To access you just remove a few screws and the entire front comes off. I like your idea with the molding. I just might go back and add that.

Again ... not a criticism, trying to be helpful.

If you cut one of the side panels into portions of 1/5th - 4/5ths, nail or screw the lower portion onto the box permanently. Hinge the top side panel at the top so it will swing open just above the top of the nest inside. This way you can easily swing it open with NO TOOLS to inspect and replenish nesting materials if needed.

Use a simple wood strip screwed a little off-center as a bottom latch. Attach it to the bottom panel. That prevents the door from opening unless you rotate the latch out of the way to swing open. Rotate it back in place to hold shut.

Cappy ... At my side for thirteen years, in my heart forever.
Re: Wood duck boxes! [Re: duckiller] #3062773 03/04/12 04:14 PM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
Very cool and getting the youth involved is even better. Think I was 13 when I built my first wood duck boxes. Still have a few out along a creek in Mississippi. We startred putting a hinged floor in them for easy cleanout. The ones with a perch ledge seem to ger used first but they will use the boxes that do not have one

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Wood duck boxes! [Re: kmon11] #3063380 03/04/12 11:06 PM
F
Featherduster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Really like seeing this, good job

Re: Wood duck boxes! [Re: Featherduster] #3068652 03/06/12 07:12 PM
T
Trout-killer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Good job getting kids out.

Re: Wood duck boxes! [Re: Cappy_TX] #3070609 03/07/12 01:42 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: duckiller

Again ... not a criticism, trying to be helpful.

If you cut one of the side panels into portions of 1/5th - 4/5ths, nail or screw the lower portion onto the box permanently. Hinge the top side panel at the top so it will swing open just above the top of the nest inside. This way you can easily swing it open with NO TOOLS to inspect and replenish nesting materials if needed.

Use a simple wood strip screwed a little off-center as a bottom latch. Attach it to the bottom panel. That prevents the door from opening unless you rotate the latch out of the way to swing open. Rotate it back in place to hold shut.

Been doing this for many years wehen I was over the artificial nestiung box program up on 6 of our WMA's from Jasper to Applesprings. Makes it easy to inspect and clean out. Got the idea from a bluebird box plan.

Nice job yall did there.

Re: Wood duck boxes! [Re: duckiller] #3071345 03/07/12 05:42 PM
P
papajon Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
P
Well done!
Hope they are well used.

Our design has a door for inspection and maintenance.

squatters

Re: Wood duck boxes! [Re: papajon] #3071405 03/07/12 06:01 PM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
I do not think any ducks would want to move in on those squatters

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Wood duck boxes! [Re: duckiller] #3080917 03/11/12 02:18 AM
L
lakewaydr50 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
A friend of mine from Powderly and his son put about that many in one of the hollows bellow the dam on the east end a few years back as an Eagle Scout project. They had some birds using them. Hopefully the birds will occupy all of them, we need more wood ducks. Great project and great photos...thanks for posting and getting our youth involved in waterfowl......

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."
Re: Wood duck boxes! [Re: lakewaydr50] #3084411 03/12/12 09:25 PM
J
jayb Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
That's great! I was thinking about doing the same this year too, might buy it since no time to build my own

Your Friend in Frisco
The Biedermann Group-Real Estate
www.TheBiedermannGroup.com
Re: Wood duck boxes! [Re: jayb] #3102547 03/20/12 05:55 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
I coated/soak the inside of the roof and 3" from the top of the sides down with liquid dishsoap - wasps will not use them doing this since they scrape bits of wood to make the post of their nest. You can also tack a piece of No-Pest strip and those work pretty good.

Re: Wood duck boxes! [Re: kyotee1] #3144905 04/08/12 03:28 AM
H
hoof n wings Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
I think my money goes to Delta this year! I'm glad that they're getting the young adults interested in the outdoors

Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
I'd ask him if he's pregnant. He missed a s__tload of periods.

Originally Posted by Hancock
I'll take "things that look like a uterus" for $200 Alex.
Re: Wood duck boxes! [Re: hoof n wings] #3146177 04/08/12 11:16 PM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Just came from paris junior college friday

www.TexasPondPoppers.com
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Loved my 4 inches. Well needed.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Hate Russians. Love happy endings. I saw snot fly. cheers

Re: Wood duck boxes! [Re: beaversnipe] #3150006 04/10/12 03:01 PM
S
Solid Ground Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Can you put too many wood duck boxes in one area? What would be the minimum distance to set them apart? I am on a lease with a wood duck population, I don't hunt them, but, would like to see more of them.

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas."
Davy Crockett

Re: Wood duck boxes! [Re: Solid Ground] #3166949 04/17/12 09:00 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Not really since it will give them nest sites to use instead of placing a 2 or 3 and having those become 'dump' nests (where more than one hen will utilize the box at the same time).

The hens will become territorial and you do not want a box to face one another opening for that matter. Space them out 50 to 100 yds apart with the opening facing the water and not under any overhanging tree limbs or where rat snakes, raccoons or squirrels from access the nest boxes.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide