Forums46
Topics539,354
Posts9,748,656
Members87,157
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
problems with Moultrie Feeders game cams, modems, or solar panels? #2652575 10/11/11 11:55 PM
Rob Lay Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
While still under the warranty period, Moultrie refused to fix or replace what I believe are product failures. Has anyone else had problems with Moultrie products, warranty work, or being charged to repair items under warranty?

The problems I experienced were...

1) Game Cams - LED screens won't display although new batteries and camera taking pictures.
2) Modems - a) even with multiple bars of AT&T reception modems won't make connection. b) modems require software update.
3) Solar Panels - power regulation problem that can cause problems with devices connected to (like Game Cams & Modems).

Trying to determine right now how widespread problems with Moultrie products are, lack of resolution under warranty, and also attempts to charge for repairs under warranty.

You can contact me through this thread, private message, and get updates HERE

Re: problems with Moultrie Feeders game cams, modems, or solar panels? [Re: Rob Lay] #2652630 10/12/11 12:10 AM
B
BowSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I don't think you are supposed to have a live link to another hunting forum on there.

As far as the Moultrie products go I have not had too many problems. I did have a few problems with a couple of the cams but I did not call Moultrie, I just took them and exchanged them for more where I bought them. I think that is the best idea when buying any game camera. Buy from someone that will take it back if it's bad.

Re: problems with Moultrie Feeders game cams, modems, or solar panels? [Re: BowSlayer] #2652706 10/12/11 12:31 AM
Rob Lay Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: BowSlayer
I don't think you are supposed to have a live link to another hunting forum on there.

just trying to keep everyone on same page if this moves forward. mods are welcome to delete link if against the rules.

Re: problems with Moultrie Feeders game cams, modems, or solar panels? [Re: Rob Lay] #2653947 10/12/11 01:48 PM
Rob Lay Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
which internet game cameras have people tried besides Moultrie?

The only other major manufacturer with reasonable price I know about is the Smart Scouter, but I haven't tested it yet.

The following Buckeye X7D looks VERY promising, but hasn't been released.

http://www.buckeyecam.com/index.php/product-line/wireless/x7d

I still think within a couple years every manufacturer will have reasonable and reliable internet game cam solutions, us early adopters are just paying the price now in money and headaches.

Re: problems with Moultrie Feeders game cams, modems, or solar panels? [Re: Rob Lay] #2653986 10/12/11 02:01 PM
P
pokerj2 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Ive used moultrie timers and never had an issue. Wildgame innovations is a different story

President of American Entitlements LLC
Health insurance agency focusing in all ages from ACA plans all the way through Medicare.
Office is based in Wylie, TX
We have local agents in both Texas and Louisiana
469-814-0289
Re: problems with Moultrie Feeders game cams, modems, or solar panels? [Re: Rob Lay] #2654079 10/12/11 02:36 PM
B
Bowtech1233 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I have had two different friends with the same problem (LED screen) and Moultrie replaced both with no issues. Both cameras were over a year old. I am not sure what their warranty length typically is. I just went to the lease this last weekend and found the same problem with mine. I am hoping they will fix or replace it.

Re: problems with Moultrie Feeders game cams, modems, or solar panels? [Re: Bowtech1233] #2654099 10/12/11 02:42 PM
B
BOLT GUY Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Will not ever buy any of Moultries products ever again. I have returned cameras to them many times, they have always replaced them but what a pain in the arse. If you buy a product you want it to work, especially when you set it up and then return a couple of weeks later to only find out that it F'd up soon after you set it up.
I have several Stealth Cams, battery life has been good and pictures are pretty good. Although I know some people have had problems with them too. Still for the money this would be my choice.
A store with good return policy is definitely a plus.

Re: problems with Moultrie Feeders game cams, modems, or solar panels? [Re: BOLT GUY] #2654120 10/12/11 02:45 PM
T
treeman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
i have 4 moultries. use year round 2 are going on 4th year. never a problem

Re: problems with Moultrie Feeders game cams, modems, or solar panels? [Re: treeman] #2654170 10/12/11 03:06 PM
S
Stoney Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
We have replaced 15 Spincast feeders with Moultries over the last 5 years at our Terrell county place and we have 4 of them in Bowie. Simple to program, easy on batteries, never had a problem. Don't know about the cameras but I would not consider another brand of feeder.

BAKEN-ET's Pro Staff
Re: problems with Moultrie Feeders game cams, modems, or solar panels? [Re: Rob Lay] #2654364 10/12/11 04:02 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I have some Moultrie feeder motors and they have all performed flawlessly. I've also tried several of their cameras over the years and never had good results with any of them. No experience with the solar chargers, but those are such simple devices I don't see how much could go wrong with them.

BTW - I haven't had very good luck with ANY cameras, so now I just buy cheap and plan on replacing them every 2 to 3 years.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: problems with Moultrie Feeders game cams, modems, or solar panels? [Re: Texan Til I Die] #2654903 10/12/11 07:11 PM
C
CSF Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
No problems with their feeders, however I do have issues with IR flash performing properly on a game cam.

Re: problems with Moultrie Feeders game cams, modems, or solar panels? [Re: CSF] #2655125 10/12/11 08:21 PM
G
gamebear Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
D50 cams, only one of four continued to work after only four months,and long before that only one continued to flash for night photos. They are big and bulky too.

We use a different brand now with excellent results. We won't buy Moutltrie cams again.

"You can't aim a duck to death." -Beverly Sills

www.weathertogolf.com
Re: problems with Moultrie Feeders game cams, modems, or solar panels? [Re: gamebear] #2655154 10/12/11 08:28 PM
B
buck-snort Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I have 3 moultrie cameras. See pic below

I see this same issue on all three. One good pic at night. One solid black picture. This happens on multiple cameras. Definately an issue with the flash on these cameras. Must be the reason Academy discontinued this model.

Re: problems with Moultrie Feeders game cams, modems, or solar panels? [Re: buck-snort] #2655212 10/12/11 08:44 PM
S
slpybeartx Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Two moultrie feeder timers, Two moultrie Cameras and one moultrie SOlar Panel kit.

All functioning fine. The only problem had was with the lcd screen on the i40. They had a known defect on these and will send you a replacement LCD to fix it, even if its out of warranty.

Re: problems with Moultrie Feeders game cams, modems, or solar panels? [Re: buck-snort] #2655222 10/12/11 08:48 PM
P
possom813 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
I've got my D40 set on high quality pictures with 2 pics and 1 minute between events.

Here are pics from this past week.

The feeder is right at 25' from the camera, the doe is walking outside the pen that is about 12-15' from the camera

I've cleaned the flash, lens, and everything with lent free cloths. It used to take really nice pictures at night, not so much anymore.

I will fear no evil, for thou art with me.
Re: problems with Moultrie Feeders game cams, modems, or solar panels? [Re: slpybeartx] #2655231 10/12/11 08:51 PM
B
beaucfus Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
i have 3 cameras 3 solar power panels and 1 spin feeder, with with varmet guard and the 2 six volt batteries.

one camera has the led screen not showing up, but camera works. the solar panels and cameras have run year round for 3 years without haveing to replace batteries.

the spin cast feeder is awesome, and on 2 6volt batteries spinning 2 times a day year round for 2 years.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: problems with Moultrie Feeders game cams, modems, or solar panels? [Re: beaucfus] #2655785 10/12/11 10:38 PM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Moultrie cameras I will never buy again. Constant issues with flash, LED. They did replace them (7 of them) over the past two years with newer models, and same issues. Feeder timers are ok. The original digital ones they put out 10-12 years ago are very good. The new ones are not near as reliable.

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Re: problems with Moultrie Feeders game cams, modems, or solar panels? [Re: Halfadozen] #2656323 10/13/11 01:01 AM
Y
Yakblue Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Y
I have 2 older cameras. No problems with either one. One is ancient and still works like a charm. Just recently got two of the 6.0 IRs. I was told by the guy at Cabelas to open the door to it, put a piece of scotch tape over the screen, which keeps the sun off it and doesn't burn it up. He said that it's a big complaint the that moultrie model but tape over the viewing screen does the trick.
I also have a 5 gallon feeder with a 6v on the bottom of it. It has a small wheel that has slots in the wheel. It turns slowly and doesn't require much juice from the battery. It allows you to differentiate between twice/once a day and 4 oz dispersals from 4 0z up to 16 oz each time.
Wanted another one because they work so good and make 5 gallons of corn last a long time, but was told they discontinued it
So it goes.

Re: problems with Moultrie Feeders game cams, modems, or solar panels? [Re: Yakblue] #2656801 10/13/11 02:27 AM
J
jcoutdoors Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Moultrie game cameras never fail to let me down. I will never buy another one no matter what they develop. On the other hand I have had great success with there feeder timers.

Re: problems with Moultrie Feeders game cams, modems, or solar panels? [Re: jcoutdoors] #2657294 10/13/11 05:23 AM
H
highlonesome1 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I have a big pile of moultrie cams that quit and a smaller pile of stealth cams.

Re: problems with Moultrie Feeders game cams, modems, or solar panels? [Re: highlonesome1] #2659184 10/13/11 09:57 PM
M
Mr.Broadhead Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
I think Moultrie is owned by P.E.T.A. because all their products have done for me is to come home empty handed.

Re: problems with Moultrie Feeders game cams, modems, or solar panels? [Re: Mr.Broadhead] #3053191 02/29/12 09:30 AM
G
Gacman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
I have had problems with all brands of cameras over the years. Just last week I received my Moultrie camera back from Moultrie. This was the second time they've replaced the lcd. First time was < one year and under warranty and they gave me another year of warranty so no cost to me the second time around either.

IMO bottom line is their is so much competition that none of the manufacturers are really putting out a quality product. They could, but don't, and it would be at steeper price. I would pay that price personally. Say $300 for a camera that will work.

Now Cudde Backs. Well, I returned both of mine two years ago within the first three months cause they both malfunctioned. I asked for refunds on both separate occasions. At the time they were only offering a 90 day warranty unless you registered it, then you got the 1 year warranty. Come on people! What does that say about your product to only offer a standard 90 day warranty?

I'm down to one Moultrie and one Stealth cam. When their done, I don't know if I'll have the frustration level left to buy another one for a while.

If anyone would come out with a higher priced camera with a two year warranty, I would buy it.

Re: problems with Moultrie Feeders game cams, modems, or solar panels? [Re: Gacman] #3055379 03/01/12 04:27 AM
billybob Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I've got a I45 with the modem and it has worked great for 2 years. You definitely have to use the solar/battery power. And other than waiting an hour on the phone their customer service was ok. If you are using their game management system get the direct number to their service. They are the only ones worth talking to. I don't have AT&T but the modem sends pics to the house every morning. My lease is 127 miles away. There are some cameras out now that do not use a web based program and send the pics via email or text to your computer. I've not seen any reviews on them yet though.

Re: problems with Moultrie Feeders game cams, modems, or solar panels? [Re: Gacman] #3055880 03/01/12 02:13 PM
B
Bowtech1233 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: gacman
I have had problems with all brands of cameras over the years. Just last week I received my Moultrie camera back from Moultrie. This was the second time they've replaced the lcd. First time was < one year and under warranty and they gave me another year of warranty so no cost to me the second time around either.

IMO bottom line is their is so much competition that none of the manufacturers are really putting out a quality product. They could, but don't, and it would be at steeper price. I would pay that price personally. Say $300 for a camera that will work.

Now Cudde Backs. Well, I returned both of mine two years ago within the first three months cause they both malfunctioned. I asked for refunds on both separate occasions. At the time they were only offering a 90 day warranty unless you registered it, then you got the 1 year warranty. Come on people! What does that say about your product to only offer a standard 90 day warranty?

I'm down to one Moultrie and one Stealth cam. When their done, I don't know if I'll have the frustration level left to buy another one for a while.

If anyone would come out with a higher priced camera with a two year warranty, I would buy it.

I agree with you 100%!

Re: problems with Moultrie Feeders game cams, modems, or solar panels? [Re: billybob] #3055996 03/01/12 02:46 PM
Rob Lay Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: billybob
I've got a I45 with the modem and it has worked great for 2 years.

Exact model I had with GMS. The first two they replaced are still working today, but they refused to replace the 3rd one, so stuck with a door stop on that one. Besides the LED screens they also had a problem with the solar panels regulating power and that burned out the modems and caused problems with the cameras.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide