Page 1 of 2 1 2
How well do silencers work #3009618 02/13/12 04:51 AM
S
stevenj Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S
I was was debating on a silencer for my ar and was wondering if you shoot into a group of hogs do they scatter or hang around

Re: How well do silencers work [Re: stevenj] #3010142 02/13/12 03:07 PM
M
mikey1313 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
well since nobody is going to grab this one i will. First its not a silencer, they are illegal. I believe what u are going for is a suppressor. if u shoot a hog with a sup. the others may not hear the shot but when it squeals they will most likely scatter. so depending on if u want meat or just to plow down some hogs it may or may not work.

Isn't it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back everything is different.

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Re: How well do silencers work [Re: mikey1313] #3010206 02/13/12 03:29 PM
F
FIREDAVIS Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
A suppressor and a silencer are the samething. I have one for my AR and it isnt "hollywood quiet" they typically drop a 223 down to around the sound of a .22 or less. Some of the times the hogs cant tell where the shot came from and they will run straight at you giving you more shot oppurtunities. It does seem to make them not run as far after you shoot. I shot one out of a big group and they ran off but only 50 yards and then I stalked up and got two more out of the same group. I think it is worth it personally. Check out Advanced Armarment that is the brand I went with.

Re: How well do silencers work [Re: FIREDAVIS] #3010220 02/13/12 03:35 PM
M
mikey1313 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
I am aware that they are the same thing but wording is the key. mainly because silencers are illegal

Isn't it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back everything is different.

Re: How well do silencers work [Re: mikey1313] #3010239 02/13/12 03:41 PM
C
Capt. Andrew Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: mikey likes it
I am aware that they are the same thing but wording is the key. mainly because silencers are illegal

now where did you get that from? Nothing is illegal... with some wait and alot of money you can have anything you want

Fishingcharterspi.com
Fishing South Padre Island TX
Snook,Redfish,Trout. Cast n blast available
Re: How well do silencers work [Re: FIREDAVIS] #3010241 02/13/12 03:42 PM
G
GriffGruff78 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: FIREDAVIS
A suppressor and a silencer are the samething. I have one for my AR and it isnt "hollywood quiet" they typically drop a 223 down to around the sound of a .22 or less. Some of the times the hogs cant tell where the shot came from and they will run straight at you giving you more shot oppurtunities. It does seem to make them not run as far after you shoot. I shot one out of a big group and they ran off but only 50 yards and then I stalked up and got two more out of the same group. I think it is worth it personally. Check out Advanced Armarment that is the brand I went with.

I stalk unsuppressed. Very close to 100% of my successful stalks result in hanging ONE pig. My game warden stalks with a suppressed 5.56 carbine length. Granted, he does some spray n' pray and doesn't worry much about harvesting the pigs, but he often kills ALL the adults out of a sounder. It will not let you pick 'em off one by one without disturbing the pigs, but the rifle report gives the pigs something to run away from. The bullet crack doesn't seem to do that to the same extent.

I think Hiram Maxim was the first to patent a dry, baffle style suppressor, intended for use with his machine gun. He called it a silencer. They are exactly the same and the terminology can be used interchangeably; neither is more correct (or more legal) than the other.

Last edited by GriffGruff78; 02/13/12 03:44 PM.
Re: How well do silencers work [Re: mikey1313] #3010258 02/13/12 03:45 PM
F
FIREDAVIS Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
http://www.aaccanu.com/

Look at what one of the largest company calls their product.

Re: How well do silencers work [Re: mikey1313] #3010299 02/13/12 03:56 PM
Dragonuv Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker

That is incorrect, because, as you stated, they are the same thing. The reason they are not called "silencers", is because they do not silence the shot, they only suppress it...hence the name "suppressor". You can call it whatever you want. The legality of it isn't in it's name.
I bought mine from a cop who owns a gunshop and he calls them silencers all day long.

Last edited by Dragonuv; 02/13/12 04:00 PM.
Re: How well do silencers work [Re: mikey1313] #3010348 02/13/12 04:10 PM
Z
ZombieGun Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Z
well since nobody is going to grab this one i will. First its not a silencer, they are illegal. I believe what u are going for is a suppressor. if u shoot a hog with a sup. the others may not hear the shot but when it squeals they will most likely scatter. so depending on if u want meat or just to plow down some hogs it may or may not work.

No need to get all technical. We know what he means. People call it a "can" too. Are "cans" illegal to own as well???

Re: How well do silencers work [Re: ZombieGun] #3010388 02/13/12 04:24 PM
Dragonuv Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: bigatex

Are "cans" illegal to own as well???

Not yet, but then again the liberals haven't targeted them yet either. lol

Re: How well do silencers work [Re: Dragonuv] #3010468 02/13/12 04:52 PM
Z
ZombieGun Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Z
Originally Posted By: Dragonuv
Originally Posted By: bigatex

Are "cans" illegal to own as well???

Not yet, but then again the liberals haven't targeted them yet either. lol

I was being sarcastic by the way, not literal.

Re: How well do silencers work [Re: Dragonuv] #3010479 02/13/12 04:57 PM
M
mikey1313 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
ok let me restate my original, silencers arent illegal but are a pain in the [censored] to get and req. a signature from a chief officer, also in depth background check, fingerprint and a four month waiting period. I didnt know my post was going to be scrutinized so harshly. In conclusion if you havent been through all the proper channels and you are caought with one it is federal time you will be doing, otherwise legal MY BAD.

Re: How well do silencers work [Re: mikey1313] #3010607 02/13/12 05:43 PM
stxhunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
It quiets my 308 down to unsuppressed 22lr levels, but the sonic crack is still pretty loud. When I use this same can with subsonic 300 blk rounds its as quiet as my pellet gun! Does this mean when I shoot the animals don't notice? NO!!! The impact of the bullet striking it's target is actually fairly loud and disturbs most of the nearby animals. Also, it seems like pigs can't tell where the shot is coming from and sometimes run towards my location instead of away.

Suppressors are not really difficult to own, despite what others may say. If you can own a firearm, you can legally own a suppressor. Of course you can go the traditional law enforcement route and do the fingerprinting etc to acquire your suppressor. If you don't want to go that way you can also go the trust route, which is virtually painless. True it does take anywhere from 4-6 months and a $200 tax stamp before you can take possession of your new toy, but it's really not that bad. Just remember that a suppressor is a lifetime purchase, buy what you can afford (not necessarily the most expensive, but I would tend to stay away from some of the cheaper ones as well).

www.bigpiglights.com
Specializing in Hog Hunting and Night Vision Equipment
(956)793-0904
Re: How well do silencers work [Re: stxhunter] #3010754 02/13/12 06:38 PM
Dragonuv Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: stxhunter
Suppressors are not really difficult to own, despite what others may say. If you can own a firearm, you can legally own a suppressor. Of course you can go the traditional law enforcement route and do the fingerprinting etc to acquire your suppressor. If you don't want to go that way you can also go the trust route, which is virtually painless. True it does take anywhere from 4-6 months and a $200 tax stamp before you can take possession of your new toy, but it's really not that bad. Just remember that a suppressor is a lifetime purchase, buy what you can afford (not necessarily the most expensive, but I would tend to stay away from some of the cheaper ones as well).
I went the trust route and paid $50 for the trust paperwork. The key is to not find a lawyer to do it, but find a gun dealer who has the computer program and let them do the trust. It saved me $450, a lawyer would have been $500. And contrary to popular belief, you can use it on any gun of the same caliber. I have 3 guns I use mine on and interchange it quite often.

Re: How well do silencers work [Re: Dragonuv] #3010838 02/13/12 07:13 PM
J
jdw Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
so you cant legally resale a suppressor to an individual like a you can a gun? or buy a used one from an individual? has anybody used one on a 22-250? how much quiet is it?

Re: How well do silencers work [Re: jdw] #3010959 02/13/12 07:59 PM
Dragonuv Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Yes, you can buy a used one from an individual, but you must go through the exact same ATFE paperwork process and cannot take possession of it until you get the stamp back.

Last edited by Dragonuv; 02/13/12 07:59 PM.
Re: How well do silencers work [Re: Dragonuv] #3011188 02/13/12 09:27 PM
G
GriffGruff78 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
I went the trust route and paid $50 for the trust paperwork. The key is to not find a lawyer to do it, but find a gun dealer who has the computer program and let them do the trust. It saved me $450, a lawyer would have been $500. And contrary to popular belief, you can use it on any gun of the same caliber. I have 3 guns I use mine on and interchange it quite often.

Isn't there a maintenance fee associated with the trust? In some ways it's better than getting the stamp (all of the trustees can use the gear whenever they want, the trust can be legally transferred without additional BATFE paperwork) and in some places (like Harris County and some other populous counties) that's the only way you will get your hands on one since all of the CLEO either ignore Form1/Form4 requests or have made it policy not to endorse them.

Building a suppressor actually isn't that difficult if you have good hands and are willing to research. The materials would be less than $100 in most cases for a simple 5.56 can.

Re: How well do silencers work [Re: GriffGruff78] #3011236 02/13/12 09:44 PM
J
jdw Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
If you build one yourself do you still have to file paperwork?

Re: How well do silencers work [Re: GriffGruff78] #3011255 02/13/12 09:50 PM
East Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: GriffGruff78

Isn't there a maintenance fee associated with the trust? In some ways it's better than getting the stamp (all of the trustees can use the gear whenever they want, the trust can be legally transferred without additional BATFE paperwork) and in some places (like Harris County and some other populous counties) that's the only way you will get your hands on one since all of the CLEO either ignore Form1/Form4 requests or have made it policy not to endorse them.

Building a suppressor actually isn't that difficult if you have good hands and are willing to research. The materials would be less than $100 in most cases for a simple 5.56 can.

Curious about this, do you know any links?

Re: How well do silencers work [Re: jdw] #3011257 02/13/12 09:51 PM
Paluxy300blk Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: jdw
If you build one yourself do you still have to file paperwork?

Yes. This is why all the Bubba's running around with a Coke bottle taped to their muzzle are breaking the law. Unfortunately it is illegal to manufacture. Silly, in my opinion, but I don't write the law.

Re: How well do silencers work [Re: East] #3011314 02/13/12 10:05 PM
G
GriffGruff78 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: East...
Curious about this, do you know any links?

There are a number of walkthroughs at this forum: http://www.silencertalk.com/ Just use the search feature and look up "Freeze plug silencer" - should get plenty of relavent threads.

Just don't forget that you're in big, big, big, big, big trouble if you get caught with an unregistered NFA item. Big trouble.

EDIT: Check that, forget the search feature and just start poking around in the "Silencersmithing" sub-forum. There is a user "Sub Sonic" with a really quiet, really inexpensive design. The tricky part of building a can is finding a way to attach it to your rifle with the bore "true" to your bullet path.

2ND EDIT: Just go to this thread: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=81439&hilit=Freeze+Plug

Last edited by GriffGruff78; 02/13/12 10:24 PM.
Re: How well do silencers work [Re: GriffGruff78] #3011339 02/13/12 10:14 PM
Dragonuv Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: GriffGruff78

I am unaware of any maintenance fees associated with the trust. None were ever mentioned and none have ever been asked for. I figure if it was something I had to renew, then it would be classified and treated more like a permit, as opposed to them giving me the stamp.

Re: How well do silencers work [Re: GriffGruff78] #3011341 02/13/12 10:14 PM
Paluxy300blk Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
To the original poster's question, I meant to say that on an AR, I would definitely equate the noise to that of an unsuppressed .22 LR coming from a rifle.

I am more a fan of .22 LR suppressors than any. I keep one here in my office all the time for dispatching varmints just out of my patio door.

Re: How well do silencers work [Re: stevenj] #3011765 02/14/12 12:37 AM
D
djones Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: stevenj
...if you shoot into a group of hogs do they scatter or hang around
when i shoot into a group with a suppressed weapon, they all scatter... except one grin

Re: How well do silencers work [Re: djones] #3011990 02/14/12 01:46 AM
E
Elliot Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
I have a lawyer here in Fort Worth that will do a trust for $200 bucks. I sent in my form 1 and $200 dollar check Thursday. I plan to build a can for my .300blk. Any who, to answer the OP's question, a silencer on an AR-15 shooting supersonic ammo is still fairly loud. An AR-15 shooting subsonic ammo is stupid quite. Only draw back is it won't cycle. This is what the 300 blackout is for. It will cycle subsonic loads with a can and is amazingly quite. This is an AR-10 with subsonic .308 I hand loaded.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide