Forums46
Topics539,583
Posts9,751,303
Members87,167
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
Re: What's the #1 cause of member grumbling on your lease? [Re: Hamourkiller] #2926894 01/13/12 04:00 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Hamourkiller
Jealousy of some one else's success! I have seen this be the core of many peoples complaints. Especially if one hunter or group of hunters is consistantly more successful.

I still keep up with several peopl on our old lease. One passed a mature 7pt several times waiting on something bigger. One of the other lease members I know finaly saw said 7pt and greased him in a heartbeat. First guy who saw him is very bitter about it all... he ended up shooting a young 6pt.

matt

It's hell eatin em live
Re: What's the #1 cause of member grumbling on your lease? [Re: Texas Dan] #2926905 01/13/12 04:03 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Lately the number one argument on our lease has been over the age of a deer. I try to stay out of the arguments but it has split our lease this year.

We had a member that had lots of pictures of a great 145ish 10 point in the weeks before opening of rifle season. This guy was pumped to hopefully kill that deer. He brought pictures to camp with him the night before opening morning to show everybody what he was looking for. One of the members told him "don't shoot that deer, he is only 3 years old". They went back and forth about how old the deer was for a while. The next morning the buck showed up and the guy passed on him because of what the other member said. He passed him multiple times after that too. Well, later in the season the buck showed up at the guy's stand that had said not to shoot him and guess what? He shot him! He said when he saw the deer in person he realized it was older than he thought. Of course that did not sit well with many of the guys and it has caused drama ever since. Now from what I understand some of the guys are leaving for greener pastures this year and it's all because of that one stupid deer.

Re: What's the #1 cause of member grumbling on your lease? [Re: BowSlayer] #2926928 01/13/12 04:09 PM
T
TxAg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: BowSlayer
Lately the number one argument on our lease has been over the age of a deer. I try to stay out of the arguments but it has split our lease this year.

We had a member that had lots of pictures of a great 145ish 10 point in the weeks before opening of rifle season. This guy was pumped to hopefully kill that deer. He brought pictures to camp with him the night before opening morning to show everybody what he was looking for. One of the members told him "don't shoot that deer, he is only 3 years old". They went back and forth about how old the deer was for a while. The next morning the buck showed up and the guy passed on him because of what the other member said. He passed him multiple times after that too. Well, later in the season the buck showed up at the guy's stand that had said not to shoot him and guess what? He shot him! He said when he saw the deer in person he realized it was older than he thought. Of course that did not sit well with many of the guys and it has caused drama ever since. Now from what I understand some of the guys are leaving for greener pastures this year and it's all because of that one stupid deer.

That's jacked up. But the first guy should have gone with his own opinion and been accountable if not. On our place it does not matter what pics, video, or other hunters have to say. When the time comes, it is up to the individual to age when he sees the deer in person. If they screw up, they face the consequences.

Re: What's the #1 cause of member grumbling on your lease? [Re: TxAg] #2926942 01/13/12 04:14 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
In that situartion you need to have a leasewide agreement to harvest deer at a certain age I think. On our old lease we didnt have anything like that and that is why we could do nothing but sit and watch as all the young bucks got killed, which was their right, they paid their fee and could as the landowner put it kill what the law allowed. Thats the main reason we left, no hard feelings just people who want different things out of hunting. I would have been pissed in that instance.

matt

It's hell eatin em live
Re: What's the #1 cause of member grumbling on your lease? [Re: TxAg] #2926978 01/13/12 04:22 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Placing stands too close to another members stand because they have seen deer in that vicinity.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: What's the #1 cause of member grumbling on your lease? [Re: BenBob] #2926994 01/13/12 04:25 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Definition of a cull buck and a trophy buck has been a real divisive topic on our lease.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: What's the #1 cause of member grumbling on your lease? [Re: Texas Dan] #2927067 01/13/12 04:41 PM
W
wrknonit Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
Lease partners that will not put in the off season time to feed and maintain. Being part of a lease is a commitment of time and effort. Nothing gets under my skin as much as hearing all summer long that "something came up," or "I have to work," or "I've got alot going on this week." But somehow, miraculously, once season starts they have the time to make it all the time.

Don't let this happen on your lease, one or two guys becoming the "work slaves" out there while you sit around. The money you pay for the lease is not the whole issue. If you can't afford to put in the time and effort needed to keep a place nice and producing well, then you don't need to be out there. stay at home this season and let others who are willing to work it take your spot on the lease. If you still wanna hunt, get out there and do your part!

OK, rant over. Thanks for listening.
texas

always room for another buddy!

Re: What's the #1 cause of member grumbling on your lease? [Re: Milanotx] #2927101 01/13/12 04:48 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Milanotx
Hey man i checked your feeder for you and the time was off and it needed a bag of corn so i got you all fixed up so when you get here in a couple of hours your ready to hunt, it wasnt empty but it is full now.
Has that ever happened to anyone, we got someone who loves to check eveyones stuff,

That seems like a helpful person to have on a lease.

To be determined
Re: What's the #1 cause of member grumbling on your lease? [Re: TxAg] #2927169 01/13/12 05:04 PM
M
millerliteliker Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
My problems center around my three lease "members" (my three sons) who want to lay on their butts while I cook and clean the mobile home. I have to remind them that their mother is not here and they need to pick their sorry as# up and pick up after themselves and feed themselves.

Mathews Z7 Bow for Whitetail and Hogs
Remington R-15 .223 REM for predators
I also like to "hunt" sporting clays with my Benelli SuperSport!
Re: What's the #1 cause of member grumbling on your lease? [Re: millerliteliker] #2927209 01/13/12 05:17 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: millerliteliker
My problems center around my three lease "members" (my three sons) who want to lay on their butts while I cook and clean the mobile home. I have to remind them that their mother is not here and they need to pick their sorry as# up and pick up after themselves and feed themselves.

And I can almost see and hear you telling them that very thing.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: What's the #1 cause of member grumbling on your lease? [Re: millerliteliker] #2927257 01/13/12 05:33 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

I dont ever clean much and Dad pretty much always gets stuck with washing the dishes and making coffee, but then again he doesnt touch a feed sack at all 8 feeders and hasnt loaded or gutted a deer or hog he has shot in the past probably getting close to 10 years, there is a trade off, and he is happy to go in make coffe and get breakfast ready while we do the grunt work.

matt

It's hell eatin em live
Re: What's the #1 cause of member grumbling on your lease? [Re: redchevy] #2927312 01/13/12 05:53 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: redchevy

I dont ever clean much and Dad pretty much always gets stuck with washing the dishes and making coffee, but then again he doesnt touch a feed sack at all 8 feeders and hasnt loaded or gutted a deer or hog he has shot in the past probably getting close to 10 years, there is a trade off, and he is happy to go in make coffe and get breakfast ready while we do the grunt work.

matt

Isn't there a Man Law that says dads reserve the right to give you %$#^ at deer camp no matter what?

Re: What's the #1 cause of member grumbling on your lease? [Re: Texas Dan] #2927943 01/13/12 09:26 PM
C
copperhead Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
I had thought about trying to find a lease to get on this year but after seeing these gripes I think I'll just put my money into savings instead, unless I can find a place just for one. I have seen more friendships busted and relatives go thier own way over one ole snot nose deer than anything else. The only reason I wanted to get on a lease was just to take my son so I could get him away from my ex and the dark side.

Re: What's the #1 cause of member grumbling on your lease? [Re: copperhead] #2927957 01/13/12 09:28 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: copperhead
I had thought about trying to find a lease to get on this year but after seeing these gripes I think I'll just put my money into savings instead, unless I can find a place just for one. I have seen more friendships busted and relatives go thier own way over one ole snot nose deer than anything else. The only reason I wanted to get on a lease was just to take my son so I could get him away from my ex and the dark side.

I have been on the same lease for 18 years. I don't think that they are all bad, but there will be issues trying to keep everyone happy. The biggest deal is how the issues are resolved, rather than what the issues are. Some people can never be satisfied and will complain about everything.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: What's the #1 cause of member grumbling on your lease? [Re: txshntr] #2927987 01/13/12 09:35 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I agree, we had lots of differences of opinons on our last lease about how things should be handled, what should be shot and not etc, but we handled it all like adults and it worked fine for a long time.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: What's the #1 cause of member grumbling on your lease? [Re: redchevy] #2928118 01/13/12 10:17 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: redchevy
I agree, we had lots of differences of opinons on our last lease about how things should be handled, what should be shot and not etc, but we handled it all like adults and it worked fine for a long time.

Yes, much of the enjoyment that goes with a good lease is working together to find the middle ground that works best for everyone. If you're one who must have it your way, or quickly believe that a certain deer is "your" deer, joining a lease isn't for you.

I only wish that issues at work could be settled as easily as they are at our lease.

Re: What's the #1 cause of member grumbling on your lease? [Re: copperhead] #2928150 01/13/12 10:23 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

There are plenty of packaged hunt opportunities. If you put the cost of a lease together with all of the trimmings a lot of package deals are actually cheaper.

To be determined
Re: What's the #1 cause of member grumbling on your lease? [Re: TurkeyHunter] #2928196 01/13/12 10:37 PM
B
Bear Charge Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I've been on a lease since I was 5 (via my Dad) and have continued there for 30 years. That said, no one has been on the lease a shorter amont of time than me. We have no grumblers because we have no other choice than to stand each other...kind of like family...we're stuck to each other.

I do, however, have a new lease this year and the number one complaint is I haven't seen a shooter all year but have only hunted 2 weekends.

"Democracy is a sheep and two lions voting. Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote."
Ben Franklin
Re: What's the #1 cause of member grumbling on your lease? [Re: TurkeyHunter] #2928209 01/13/12 10:39 PM
C
copperhead Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
They can be cheaper but I've been hunting in NM for the last 17 years. Now that my son is getting older and wanting to hunt, I had thought about finding a place to take him with me where we can have good mano y mano time. Just don't know if it's worth the hassle or not. I would rather be some place where I know I won't get someone upset because my son is with me. I will see if I can him drawn on a state hunt this year.

Re: What's the #1 cause of member grumbling on your lease? [Re: TurkeyHunter] #2928234 01/13/12 10:48 PM
D
dawson55 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
I had a guy get mad at me because his feeder went empty. Granted I do spend more time than anyone else at the lease. And usually bring a family member who doesn't hunt, but likes to camp to help me in the off season. I don't mind having workdays where I'm the only one there. Same guy also got mad because he didn't like where I set his feeder, after he didn't have time to set it. Nows there's the guy who this year didn't have a blind or feeder, and wants to put his 200 yards from another members next year. Same guys says we really need water out there, in which I figure translates to hey bring water with you. On this note I had water at my feeder, and the feeder I set up for everyone to hunt. My biggest complaint is i don't mind the extra stuff to help you. Just please don't expect me to take care of it, and get upset if I only have time to fill my feeder. We did have one other really great guy. My favorite guy was the one that paid and never showed up since he looked at the place in July.

Re: What's the #1 cause of member grumbling on your lease? [Re: copperhead] #2928237 01/13/12 10:48 PM
B
Bear Charge Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
They can be cheaper but I've been hunting in NM for the last 17 years. Now that my son is getting older and wanting to hunt, I had thought about finding a place to take him with me where we can have good mano y mano time. Just don't know if it's worth the hassle or not. I would rather be some place where I know I won't get someone upset because my son is with me. I will see if I can him drawn on a state hunt this year.

Any lease that gets upset because someone brings their child is not a lease worth being on. They probably dance naked around the fire and worship the devil.

"Democracy is a sheep and two lions voting. Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote."
Ben Franklin
Re: What's the #1 cause of member grumbling on your lease? [Re: Bear Charge] #2928321 01/13/12 11:14 PM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
Hey, I might dance around the fire nekkid, but that whole devil worship thing is taking too far, buddy. LOL.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: What's the #1 cause of member grumbling on your lease? [Re: Texas Dan] #2928344 01/13/12 11:25 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Butch runs around all over the lease on his atv or in his rattlin blazer, doing things he thinks is important (like corning the roads)

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: What's the #1 cause of member grumbling on your lease? [Re: Bear Charge] #2928459 01/14/12 12:18 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: asartor

Any lease that gets upset because someone brings their child is not a lease worth being on. They probably dance naked around the fire and worship the devil.

Yes, but some view the lease as a place to "let go" a kid that cannot be controlled at home.

Re: What's the #1 cause of member grumbling on your lease? [Re: dawson55] #2928515 01/14/12 12:41 AM
MikeC Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:
We did have one other really great guy. My favorite guy was the one that paid and never showed up since he looked at the place in July.

We had 3 of them on our place. Two never came at all and the other came and hunted 1 day. Gotta love those guys up

www.connerknives.net

In every old body lives a young person wondering what the hell happened!

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide