Page 1 of 2 1 2
How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap #2754473 11/15/11 04:43 PM
S
StoegerM3500 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S
My dad and i have been trying to find a place that has a hog problem and might let us come out and shoot a few. We have never done it but we have deer hunted and duck hunted. My question is: do yall no of a part of texas, or a guide or someone who has a lot of hogs that will let us come out and hunt for a fair price?

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap [Re: StoegerM3500] #2754564 11/15/11 05:03 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
What is your version of a fair price? That would help folks answer. That is if you get any replies at all.

To be determined
Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap [Re: TurkeyHunter] #2754632 11/15/11 05:25 PM
S
scott01 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Never hunted with them but BoxRoutfitters posts in the guids ection all the time. I believe it's $100 per day and you can get 2 hogs. Sounds cheap enough to me. Good reviews from those who have hunted there as well. I've been looking to find time on my calendar to get my son out there to get his first pig (he's only 8).

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap [Re: scott01] #2754900 11/15/11 07:02 PM
J
jmc82 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
J
I refuse to pay to hunt hogs. If hogs are the giant problem people make them out to be, taking the hogs should be payment enough. Everybody trying to get rich from selling/guiding hog hunts is ridiculous. So is these morons breeding them for size then turning them loose to be hunted.

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap [Re: jmc82] #2755741 11/15/11 10:31 PM
S
stuko Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted By: jmc82
I refuse to pay to hunt hogs. If hogs are the giant problem people make them out to be, taking the hogs should be payment enough. Everybody trying to get rich from selling/guiding hog hunts is ridiculous. So is these morons breeding them for size then turning them loose to be hunted.

up happy3

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap [Re: stuko] #2757877 11/16/11 03:10 PM
S
scott01 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
That's great so long as you find the right landowners who will allow you to hunt them on their property for free. I'm fortunate enough to have a couple of places we can hunt them, although we normally trap them so we can get 5-8 at a time.

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap [Re: scott01] #2758061 11/16/11 04:01 PM
R
redhunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
stoeger,

Look in the outtfitters section, several people offering hog hunts. Several not to far from the metroplex

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap [Re: jmc82] #2758182 11/16/11 04:34 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N

Uh im not sure who is turnin them loose that you know of but thats a bit illegal

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap [Re: StoegerM3500] #2758188 11/16/11 04:36 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: StoegerM3500
My dad and i have been trying to find a place that has a hog problem and might let us come out and shoot a few. We have never done it but we have deer hunted and duck hunted. My question is: do yall no of a part of texas, or a guide or someone who has a lot of hogs that will let us come out and hunt for a fair price?

Were are you located? when are you wanting to hunt? might be gettin some stuff lined out for the spring PM me with some more details

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap [Re: jmc82] #2758381 11/16/11 05:22 PM
J
jshaw2025 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J

x1,000,000!! happy3

Turning them into a money maker is only going to make the problem worse. If they're a problem, kill them. If you have to charge people for access to the "elusive wild hog" then they only have that much extra breeding time BC I sure as HECK ain't paying someone to do them a service.

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap [Re: Navasot] #2758841 11/16/11 07:52 PM
J
jmc82 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: Navasotbred

Uh im not sure who is turnin them loose that you know of but thats a bit illegal
our awesome local boar hunting outfit is. I have seen huge hogs walk in and out of their front gate on numerous occassions. Everything was hog fenced to keep them in...except the entrance.

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap [Re: jmc82] #2758880 11/16/11 08:07 PM
D
doggey111 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Ha, hog-fenced, that's funny! Not really such a thing! They'll make a mess out of any fence out there, I know, b/c we have enormous hog problems all the time! As far as charging, it's not really that different then varmint calling on people's land or a hunting lease that they're just included in. The land owners are trying to make money off their land just like with hunting anything else. However, I think there's more to be said about WHAT amount they want to charge, but not charging in general! They are a nuisance, but no more in some places then say coyotes and bobcats for us around here with sheep/goats/calves!

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap [Re: jmc82] #2758893 11/16/11 08:12 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: Navasotbred

our awesome local boar hunting outfit is. I have seen huge hogs walk in and out of their front gate on numerous occassions. Everything was hog fenced to keep them in...except the entrance.

Then they are deffinintly not legal...you can have trap doors to catch more but its a very iffy subject to bring in and turn loose hogs without a permit...which if they have one i guess no prob

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap [Re: Navasot] #2759007 11/16/11 08:37 PM
D
doggey111 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
I guess really all people would have to say is they trapped them and are taking them to a processing plant or someone who buys them to process b/c there's plenty of those around. That's why I don't see why that'd be illegal per say.

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap [Re: doggey111] #2759269 11/16/11 09:51 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
If hogs are the giant problem people make them out to be, taking the hogs should be payment enough. Everybody trying to get rich from selling/guiding hog hunts is ridiculous.

I get this a lot. Folks want to hunt for free or next to nothing and justify it by saying that since hogs are a problem that they should be considered saviors of the landowner by doing the landowner such a big favor. The problem with that is multifold. First, and this is a huge one, is liability. Having free hunters, especially those you don't know who just want to come shoot hogs and such are a significant risk. I know that we all claim to be wonderful stewards of the land and 100% oriented to safety, but the truth of the matter is that too many of us are not. IHEA reports and news accounts bear this out. Too many of us are not fully safe, make sound or movement shots, will shoot at other game because it is there, and if injured will sue the land owner or potentially injured someone else and the landowner gets left holding the proverbial liability bag and ends up being the one that is sued.

Second, many of us are poor stewards of the land. We leave gates open, trash behind, shoot at the wrong animals, etc.

For the time being, for most land owners, problem hogs are less of a liability than letting Joe Bubba from the internet run around the property blasting away.

No, not all of us are like that, but then again, there are enough of us that spoil it for the rest.

I also have to find it amusing at the resentment many hunters have for landowners. The landowners are given lemons (hogs) and opt to turn a problem into something good by makng lemonade (hog hunts) and the hunters who don't own land are resentful that they cannot capitalize on the landowner's problem.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap [Re: Double Naught Spy] #2759352 11/16/11 10:15 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
popcorn

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap [Re: skinnerback] #2759741 11/17/11 12:05 AM
30ft jon boat Offline
Tracker
Tracker
hog's are not a problem they are revenue..if rats and mice get in your house...thats a problem and you call an exterminator ..if bee's get into your walls that is a problem..and you call bee removal people..i only know of one person who said he hates pigs and after deer season i can come kill all i want..but we will see

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap [Re: 30ft jon boat] #2759756 11/17/11 12:09 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: 30ft jon boat
hog's are not a problem they are revenue..if rats and mice get in your house...thats a problem and you call an exterminator ..if bee's get into your walls that is a problem..and you call bee removal people..i only know of one person who said he hates pigs and after deer season i can come kill all i want..but we will see

bang trout duel

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap [Re: skinnerback] #2759809 11/17/11 12:31 AM
30ft jon boat Offline
Tracker
Tracker
skinner don't hate me for being honest..the only people that hate hogs are deer ranchers and farmers and they are the big time minority..but if 12 thousand bees decided above the front door of your house would be a nice place to live.. who's gonna pay who to make'm leave

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap [Re: 30ft jon boat] #2760066 11/17/11 01:50 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
LOL, I'm not hating on you man. But, hogs ARE a serious problem in certain areas. Not everyone's property/wildlife is affected the same. I've been on properties that really don't have much of a hog problem, but complain obout them like crazy. On down the road somewhere someone else really does have a problem with them & needs help with that problem especially when that problem is digging into their wallets. I used to be like alot of folks out there & called their pig stories over exagerations. That changed though when I started actually looking at these properties & seeing the damage in person. IMO, the hog problem is a two edged sword. There are land owners & guides out there that curse the pigs understandably so, but still enjoy making money off of the hog hunts, why not. Then there are farmers & ranchers who don't even hunt or allow hunters, but are losing a considerable amount of money each year as a direct result from them. I used to not believe it but yes, pigs love meat & will kill & eat newborn fawns, calfs, etc, & in certain areas do a lot of it. So, what I'm saying is you have to treat each "hog problem" differently. One thing is for shure though, the problem is getting bigger all the time. I was really surprised to see just how much damage pigs can do to crops alone, if the problem is that bad they need to be treated like any other bug/fungus/disease & killed. Even here in the city limits pigs are now coming into yards & rooting up grass & flowerbeds, they've never been in town before.

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap [Re: skinnerback] #2760262 11/17/11 02:36 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
I got my first bow kill when I was 18, he is still the biggest boar I've ever killed. This ol' boy "technically" lived in the city limits & all of a sudden had this big pack of hogs in his yard at night, rooting up his grass & flowerbeads, & would chase his dogs back into the house. I never lie, this is no BS. Well, anyway this ol' guy would always complain about the pigs in his yard but was scared to do anything about it because he didn't want any trouble with the law. Finally, when he got one of his dogs hooked by a boar in his own back yard he called me & finally gave me permission to hunt. I came out the next day & shot the biggest one in the group. He was somewhere between 400-500 pounds....HUGE, (got pictures). He's the only boar that has ever charged me. They say white boy's cain't jump, but this one was runnin' like a sombish lol. It's not just farmers & ranchers that hate pigs. It's a problem that I don't think alot of people will really understand until they experience it for themselves.

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap [Re: jmc82] #2760304 11/17/11 02:45 AM
C
Cool_Hand Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C

Howz that workin' out for ya? I will agree with part of your statement! You'd have to be a moron to raise hogs and then turn them loose but I don't believe any land owner is that stupid.

Last edited by Cool_Hand; 11/17/11 02:47 AM.

Benny
Promise Ranch
Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap [Re: jmc82] #2760837 11/17/11 06:17 AM
D
DIME BOX DEER CAMP Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
up bang

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap [Re: Cool_Hand] #2761285 11/17/11 02:47 PM
J
jmc82 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: Cool_Hand

Howz that workin' out for ya? I will agree with part of your statement! You'd have to be a moron to raise hogs and then turn them loose but I don't believe any land owner is that stupid.

It works out pretty well.

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap [Re: jmc82] #2761481 11/17/11 03:35 PM
J
jshaw2025 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
This is exactly why I'm moving back to Georgia in a few years. Texas has so little public land it isn't funny. Everybody always talks about how hunting in Texas is so great, but heck, you can only do it if you spend 10,000 a year on a lease or pay a guide 2500 to go on a 3 day hunt. To put things in perspective a little bit. I have a lifetime hunting license in the state of Georgia. I have to have a kill record printed out each year, but it's free. If I go to the WMA, it's free. National Forest, free. ($4 parking fee on the honor system)

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide