Forums46
Topics537,969
Posts9,731,195
Members87,051
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: MarkE] #2618517 09/28/11 10:04 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: MarkE
Well, John Wayne, I’m just giving you guys a hard time. If you feel more secure toting your pistol around, by all means, have at it. Truth be told, I’d bet we would all be just fine with out one. And honestly, I think more people have accidents playing with pistols than wild unprovoked animals attacking them.

Three simple words describe why I prefer to carry a sidearm anywhere where I may find myself alone and remote... peace of mind

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: Texas Dan] #2618666 09/28/11 11:14 PM
M
mws Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Just carry it.

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: Texas Dan] #2618743 09/28/11 11:50 PM
F
FIREFIGHTER16 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Well, John Wayne, I’m just giving you guys a hard time. If you feel more secure toting your pistol around, by all means, have at it. Truth be told, I’d bet we would all be just fine with out one. And honestly, I think more people have accidents playing with pistols than wild unprovoked animals attacking them.

Three simple words describe why I prefer to carry a sidearm anywhere where I may find myself alone and remote... peace of mind

Ahhhh Yes....Peace of mind with 45 slinger

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: MarkE] #2618760 09/28/11 11:56 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Shortysboy09
MERCY......why the heck do we have to have pistols while hunting? There aren't any Indians out to scalp you now days. If your scared, stay at home!

For Rattlers. I'm not wasting an arrow on one for sure. If I see one I am going render it no longer harmful...

REALLY! You’re really going to be bow hunting, come across a snake, and pull out a pistol!!! WOW! What city are you from? Kind of like killing a mosquito; there will always be plenty more to take its place and you will never notice a difference whether you kill it not. Just walk around it and keep hunting. Thats just silly!

i see a snake while bowhunting and i'm gonna do whatever is neccesary to dispatch it. WHATEVER is neccesary

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: txtrophy85] #2618768 09/28/11 11:58 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
i occasionally carry a pistol while deer hunting, not for personal protection(because a rifle is way more deadly than a pistol, i'm not gonna put the rifle down in lieu of the pistol) but for shooting wounded animals.

last year i shot two hogs, had three shells in my gun, had to use the third round to finish off the 2nd hog leaving me bulletless. would have much rather put a 9mm round in its head and had the extra round in the .270

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: txtrophy85] #2618884 09/29/11 12:44 AM
TurkeyHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I wonder if anybody has ever had such and encounter with a GW over the subject?

To be determined
Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: txtrophy85] #2620088 09/29/11 02:33 PM
M
MarkE Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Quote:

i see a snake while bowhunting and i'm gonna do whatever is neccesary to dispatch it. WHATEVER is neccesary

Do you also "dispatch" every wasp, horse fly, fire ant, spider, and scorpion while hunting? I guess there must not be very many snakes where you guys hunt and it’s a really BIG deal when you see one if you deem it necessary to go out of your way just to kill a snake with a pistol. I know a lot of folks out here in West Texas that are farmers, ranchers, and hunters; I don’t know anyone who actually shoots snakes with their pistol. They MIGHT go out of their way to run over one if they see one…..that’s about it. After all.....it is just a SNAKE; leave them alone and it will be OK. Just imagine that big buck a couple hundred yards away that spooks and runs off due to pistols shots. Why take that chance?
Is anyone interested in a “Trophy Snake Pistol Hunt”?

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: txtrophy85] #2620099 09/29/11 02:36 PM
M
MarkE Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
last year i shot two hogs, had three shells in my gun, had to use the third round to finish off the 2nd hog leaving me bulletless. would have much rather put a 9mm round in its head and had the extra round in the .270

Solution - Carry a few more .270 shells.

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: Boomer57] #2620187 09/29/11 03:02 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Boomer57
The book says you CAN carry a side arm while archery hunting so long as you have a CHL and it IS CONCEALED.

This is correct, and it must be concealed!! If it is rifle season or any other time (n ot during bow season), and you are on PRIVATE property, you can carry openly. On a side note, I recommend everyone have a CHL, even if you don't plan to carry.

If it is bow season, and someone wants to hunt pigs/coyotes (or NON game animals) with a rifle, you can. I was advised by our local game warden to contact your local game warden to let them know where you will be rifle hunting. I carry 2 busniess cards in my wallet with our local game wardens contact info and noitify them of any night hunting, or such. they are very appreciative of this!

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: TurkeyHunter] #2620204 09/29/11 03:08 PM
B
Bill Waldschmidt Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: TurkeyHunter

I would also like to hear about any encounters... I'd venture to say the GW might be a little lenient on this particular rule.

I carry a sidearm all the time on the ranch

Snakes, hogs, coyotes, mountain lions, mad cows... Who knows what you'll run into out there.

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: TurkeyHunter] #2620208 09/29/11 03:09 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Yes, we have!!! And we asked about this subject.

We have another funny GW story. A guy I used to hunt with tagged an 8 point buck with a Red Drum tag!! The buck/antlerless tag is in the bottom right corner. If you have your license upside down, the red drum tag is now bottom right. It was pitch dark when he was tagging the deer, so he didn't see his mistake. As luck would have it, a game warden was waiting in our camp to inspect all of us. Luckily, the hunter checked the Buck box and wrote the kill on the back of the license. the GW said if he had not done this, he would have confiscated everything in his possesion, including his truck, rifle, and everything!! He retagged the animal, and all was good. My jaw hit the floor when the GW said he used a red drum tag! I was rolling!

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: ChadTRG42] #2620274 09/29/11 03:36 PM
A
Axe Man Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
A
I really appreciate this discussion. I am going to my spot this weekend to check the feeder and game cam but will not be hunting (unless there are doves flying). I like to carry when on my property for piece of mind etc... I also usually take my two little helpers with me (6 and 4 yr old boys). They know daddy has a pistol even though I carry concealed, but having it with me makes me feel safer for them also. They have never seen me draw the firearm or take it from it's concealment while out btw and yes, we live for safety and learning the rules of the outdoors. I don't even handle the pistol when in their site.

Interesting discussion though.

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: Axe Man] #2620306 09/29/11 03:43 PM
TurkeyHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
If you remove it to shoot a snake it is no longer concealed. laugh

peep

Snakes, hogs, chupacabras etc would not motivate me to go to the trouble of carrying while bow hunting. Now if I was hunting in South Texas in some of the areas near the border I would sure carry, CHL or not.

To be determined
Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: TurkeyHunter] #2620332 09/29/11 03:50 PM
M
MarkE Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Judging by I few of these posts, I’m surprise some folks aren't carrying assault rifles for rattlesnakes! If I didn’t know any better, I would be scared to death to venture out into the countryside unarmed after reading some of this stuff.

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: MarkE] #2620488 09/29/11 04:51 PM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
I carry mine, because it is my right to do so. I used to not carry, but when confronted by to very mean dogs between me and my 4 wheeler with only a bow I decided I would carry my gun from that day on no matter what.

Don't see how by taking up bow hunting I give up my 2nd amendment right to carry a gun.

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: helomech] #2620509 09/29/11 05:00 PM
S
scot Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Ok, how about that traveling law? Texas says while traveling I can carry. So if I have my pistol while traveling from camp to the stand law says its ok, even with a bow...

However, not sure what legally is supposed to happen once you are at the stand?

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: helomech] #2620541 09/29/11 05:16 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Quote:
I carry mine, because it is my right to do so.

And there it is.

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: scot] #2620559 09/29/11 05:26 PM
T
Tres Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I carry when I bowhunt as I've had some close encounters with hogs before walking to my stand, just feel better having it. The law is absolutely idiotic, what is the reason behind only being able to carry it if you have your CHL? I don't remember them going over that in the class. And who or what am I supposed to be concealing my gun from???

[Linked Image]
"Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before."
Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: Tres] #2620647 09/29/11 06:06 PM
TurkeyHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Tres
And who or what am I supposed to be concealing my gun from???

From the Game Warden it seems.

To be determined
Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: scot] #2620651 09/29/11 06:09 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: scot
Ok, how about that traveling law? Texas says while traveling I can carry. So if I have my pistol while traveling from camp to the stand law says its ok, even with a bow...

However, not sure what legally is supposed to happen once you are at the stand?

Legally, you can carry a pistol in your vehicle anytime. But you are not hunting from your vehicle. I honestly recommend you get a CHL. It will help answer a lot of your questions. Ignorance of a law doesn't make it legal!

I have seen 2 friends get harrased (both non-CHL) and 1 taken to jail because they had a concealed pistol without informing the officer. Don't risk it, get a CHL.

Originally Posted By: Tres
I carry when I bowhunt as I've had some close encounters with hogs before walking to my stand, just feel better having it. The law is absolutely idiotic, what is the reason behind only being able to carry it if you have your CHL? I don't remember them going over that in the class. And who or what am I supposed to be concealing my gun from???

Yes, sometimes it doesn't make a lot of sense. But that's the law.

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: ChadTRG42] #2620721 09/29/11 06:35 PM
D
DRT1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
i don't bother snakes, i have a chl, but i def carry a pistol now when i hunt bcuz i have found brass in my deer stand that did not belong to me. and have had pics of poachers shooting deer at my stand, i do not wanna be sitting there in the dark w/ my stand closed up and experience a 2 legged snake getting in with me while i am trying to get my 40" OF RIFLE swung around.. and i have met folks that while wrking a turkey call managed to call a hog straight to themselves and while they killed the hog w/ the shotgun they still ended up getting cut up.. everyone should take a chl course for a multitude of reasons and then decide for yourself if you wanna carry or not.

In God I trust.. all others are suspect. ;))
Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: ChadTRG42] #2620729 09/29/11 06:38 PM
H
hntnfsh Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Ok--so I handgun hunt more than I rifle hunt---I usually carry my scoped 44 mag in a bandolier holster outside my garments....I also have a CHL...
From the way you guys are talking, If a person is a CHL holder and in the field hunting, the handgun "MUST" be concealed...
Is that what I am understanding??? If thats the case its ridiculous...I mean, that is my primary firearm while legally hunting...Your rifle isnt concealed so why should my handgun have to be?? Ive looked all thru the reg book for this info and cant find anything that states this as fact...
I can understand the concealment when bowhunting tho, Ive hunted all over the U.S. and this is the first state that allows a handgun (or firearm of any kind) in your possession while bowhunting, CHL or not....I usually carry a Ruger Alaskan 44 in a shoulder holster while bowhunting hogs and will do so whitetail hunting with my bow...(protection from hogs, snakes and any 2 legged "city critters" (well, I guess there could be some 2 legged "country critters" out there too..Sasquatches/Zombies)
Can anyone give an "Accurate" definition of this (LAW?)

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: hntnfsh] #2620754 09/29/11 06:49 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: hntnfsh
Ok--so I handgun hunt more than I rifle hunt---I usually carry my scoped 44 mag in a bandolier holster outside my garments....I also have a CHL...
From the way you guys are talking, If a person is a CHL holder and in the field hunting, the handgun "MUST" be concealed...
Is that what I am understanding???

Only during bow season you can NOT carry a firearm in the open. Any other time, you can, on private property. You could carry your 44 under a garment (technically!) with your CHL. But that is a scoped "hunting" handgun. So, I don't know how that would play out legally. I wouldn't take it. I would carry a more traditional defensive handgun.

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: ChadTRG42] #2620909 09/29/11 07:44 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Originally Posted By: Boomer57
The book says you CAN carry a side arm while archery hunting so long as you have a CHL and it IS CONCEALED.

This is correct, and it must be concealed!! If it is rifle season or any other time (n ot during bow season), and you are on PRIVATE property, you can carry openly. On a side note, I recommend everyone have a CHL, even if you don't plan to carry.

This makes complete sense when you think about. Unfortunately, not all states pay as close attention to Second Amendment rights.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: Texas Dan] #2621387 09/29/11 10:54 PM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Snakes aren't all that bad to land owners. He kills an awful lot of mice and rats every year. And 99.9% of the time you will never see him.

Unless they are around the house or barn I don't mess with them. We walk(or crawl) around each other and I'm kind of happy that I got to see one.

After many, many years in the brush I've only been actually attacked once.

If you are leasing, you had better ask the land owner how he feels about you killing anything that isn't a game animal.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide