Forums46
Topics536,986
Posts9,719,147
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: RTF Rob] #2618088 09/28/11 07:26 PM
S
Shortysboy09 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
I was thinking the same thing...

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: Stump_jumper] #2618100 09/28/11 07:32 PM
B
Boomer57 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Stump_jumper
Originally Posted By: kwrhuntinglab
Originally Posted By: billybob
I always have a pistol where allowable in the woods (not in state parks)...if for no other reason than to dispatch snakes. To answer your question it is allowable ALL the time without a CHL.

It is NOT allowable if you are bowhunting....

That was always my understanding when I bowhunted. I believe than you can finish off a woounded deer with a pistol but you would have to go back to camp or the truck for it. We found an arrowed deer bedded down and head up once. I never forget the mile

round trip walk back to camp for the pistol. We get back to the deer and it is dead.

Stump_jumper... You better not finish that archery deer with a firearm!

My wife must be a cross between a Indian and a bulldog. When she's not on the warpath, she's sitting on her butt growling.

We're burnin daylite.
Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: redhunter] #2618102 09/28/11 07:33 PM
M
MarkE Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
MERCY......why the heck do we have to have pistols while hunting? There aren't any Indians out to scalp you now days. If your scared, stay at home!

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: MarkE] #2618106 09/28/11 07:36 PM
S
Shortysboy09 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: MarkE
MERCY......why the heck do we have to have pistols while hunting? There aren't any Indians out to scalp you now days. If your scared, stay at home!

For Rattlers. I'm not wasting an arrow on one for sure. If I see one I am going render it no longer harmful...

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: MarkE] #2618108 09/28/11 07:37 PM
C
catchin' Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C

bs

Life is Good Today.

I never dreamed of being a father....now I can't imagine being anything else.
Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: RTF Rob] #2618134 09/28/11 07:45 PM
U
urbnat Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
U
Last season, the hogs got so bad on my place that by the end of the season I had to literally bluff them off the road between my stand and my pickup every time I got out of the blind in the evening. I carried a pistol, but never had to use it as the hogs politely moved into the trees for me to go by and never even threatened a charge. My luck could change however and I think it is crazy not to want to carry a pistol especially when bowhunting, legal or not. I respect and understand the law, but I don't want to end up on the biting end of a porker with nothing but a stick to protect me. I would never consider shooting a deer with a firearm during archery, but it seems like this is another case of the honest getting punished for the actions of the ignorant.

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: Shortysboy09] #2618145 09/28/11 07:47 PM
M
MarkE Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Shortysboy09

For Rattlers. I'm not wasting an arrow on one for sure. If I see one I am going render it no longer harmful...

REALLY! You’re really going to be bow hunting, come across a snake, and pull out a pistol!!! WOW! What city are you from? Kind of like killing a mosquito; there will always be plenty more to take its place and you will never notice a difference whether you kill it not. Just walk around it and keep hunting. Thats just silly!

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: MarkE] #2618156 09/28/11 07:51 PM
S
Shortysboy09 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
It's not really silly... You ever been bit by one? Try that on top of being hours away from a hospital. That's not a situation you want to end up in...

We've got them so thick we have to carry sidearm walking to and from campers. They're everywhere.

Plus, call me paranoid if you want. But, my pistol is like my wallet. It goes everywhere that I do. If you think that's a little crazy to do, well then your'e a sheeple just like a lot of people. Just wandering through the world not paying attention to what's around you. Oh, that will never happen to me. It's all sunshine and butterflies.

Last edited by Shortysboy09; 09/28/11 07:53 PM.
Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: RTF Rob] #2618168 09/28/11 07:57 PM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
As long as you arent bow hunting for deer, u can have ur pistola with u, and you dont have to have a CHL, and it does not have to be concealed.

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: Shortysboy09] #2618174 09/28/11 08:00 PM
M
MarkE Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
I lived in Nolan County (home of the largest rattle snake round up) my whole life and go snake hunting every year. It's never really been a big deal to see one while hunting. I have yet to have one come after me if I didn't jack around with it. I could have shot more than I could ever count with a pistol.......what a waste of time, money, effort, and alot of screwed up hunts running around shootin' "snakes" while deer hunting! Makes no sense. 9 times out of 10, your not going to have time to shoot the damn snake anyway. Ask the folks that have been bit. A pistol wouldn't have done anything for them.

Last edited by MarkE; 09/28/11 08:03 PM.
Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: Shortysboy09] #2618180 09/28/11 08:02 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
For snakes just make yourself a tall walking stick out of a piece of hard wood. You could even put a hoe end on it if desired. It would be a snake killing weapon. Would probably help with pig defense as well. That would be an alternative to a hand gun if needed.

From researching the news, actual wild hog attacks seem to be very rare. Most of the injuries are related to catching/hunting. I've had them all around me very close when sitting next to a tree turkey hunting. Not the most comfortable situation for sure.

To be determined
Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: MarkE] #2618183 09/28/11 08:04 PM
S
Shortysboy09 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Sorry didn't realize that was you Chuck Norris. You wrestle snakes bare handed.

I don't go looking for them. If I come across one I handle it. Rarely messes up my hunting also. I still see deer. Bottom line is I'm going to be prepared and protected.

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: TurkeyHunter] #2618190 09/28/11 08:05 PM
M
MarkE Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: TurkeyHunter
For snakes just make yourself a tall walking stick out of a piece of hard wood. You could even put a hoe end on it if desired. It would be a snake killing weapon. Would probably help with pig defense as well. That would be an alternative to a hand gun if needed.

From researching the news, actual wild hog attacks seem to be very rare. Most of the injuries are related to catching/hunting. I've had them all around me very close when sitting next to a tree turkey hunting. Not the most comfortable situation for sure.

Agreed! We are talking "sense" now!

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: Shortysboy09] #2618200 09/28/11 08:11 PM
M
MarkE Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Well, John Wayne, I’m just giving you guys a hard time. If you feel more secure toting your pistol around, by all means, have at it. Truth be told, I’d bet we would all be just fine with out one. And honestly, I think more people have accidents playing with pistols than wild unprovoked animals attacking them.

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: Texas Dan] #2618210 09/28/11 08:16 PM
C
Cavscout1968 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Originally Posted By: Cavscout1968
So if you decide to not hunt a weekend but go fill you feeders, check game cams, ect you can carry a side arm. But if you have a bow with you, you can't even on private property?

That seems be kind of silly to me, I always carry a side arm into the woods. I carry it in a thigh rig up here for comfort, guess I'll have to change that once I get to Texas.

Based on my experiences with LEO's in this and other states, you're far less likely to run into problems in Texas unless you're caught sitting on a stand with a bow and sidearm. IMO, Texas has the most hunter-friendly laws of any state, and fewer bow hunters who are paranoid that someone might illegally shoot "their" deer.

I agree for the most part Texas does seem really hunter friendly, thats why this law seems out of wack from everything else I've read.

The only 2 things I think will be hard to get used to in Texas is hunting without an open carry side arm and the lack of public hunting/paying for a lease.

US Cavalry, retired
Surviving Wisconsin to live in Texas
7 months till no more snow
Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: MarkE] #2618224 09/28/11 08:22 PM
U
urbnat Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
U
Well, John Wayne, I’m just giving you guys a hard time. If you feel more secure toting your pistol around, by all means, have at it. Truth be told, I’d bet we would all be just fine with out one. And honestly, I think more people have accidents playing with pistols than wild unprovoked animals attacking them.

I agree here, not very often you get attacked, most animals will go on out of your way. Heck, I followed a bobcat to my blind one afternoon. He was about 45 yards ahead of me walking down the same trail I was. He didn't bother me and I didn't bother him. When we got to my stand about 150 yards down the trail, he kept walking and I settled in. My main concern is arrowing a hog and have him try to come into the popup with me. Not much wiggle room even in one of the big bow popups, a pistol just gives another means of "what if" nerve calming.

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: MarkE] #2618225 09/28/11 08:22 PM
S
Shortysboy09 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S

Glad there's some people that like to have fun without getting bent out of shape. I like the John Wayne comment.

I agree on your last point. I'd be willing to be also there's a lot more negligence accidents then animal attacks. But, you just never know what will happen. I've never personally had any animal become aggressive with me besides a mockingbird once that I think I got too close to her nest.

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: Shortysboy09] #2618244 09/28/11 08:31 PM
M
MarkE Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Shortysboy09

We've got them so thick we have to carry sidearm walking to and from campers. They're everywhere.

A garden hoe works just great......pretty quiet too.

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: MarkE] #2618295 09/28/11 08:48 PM
A
Adraper Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
I never really thought of needing a pistol for defense against animals here in Texas. Other people maybe. I have a concealed permit but very rarely carry a handgun while hunting.

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: MarkE] #2618307 09/28/11 08:51 PM
billybob Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker

You've obviously never been hunting when pigs have young on the ground. In the past 10 years I've been attacked twice walking to my blind by an irrate sow. Dispatched the first one with a 30.06 from the hip and the second with a 45ACP. The first did manage to slice my leg to where I needed stitches. I can't believe that with all the hogs in TX that I am an isolated incident.

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: billybob] #2618309 09/28/11 08:53 PM
S
Shortysboy09 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Quit grabbin the baby pigs billybob!

All kidding aside, I can see where this would happen.

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: Shortysboy09] #2618342 09/28/11 09:06 PM
billybob Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Damn little things are too fast for me to grab or I would...sooo I just pop...pop.pop. Then

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: billybob] #2618407 09/28/11 09:23 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I guess if a person did not have a CHL but wanted some type of extra good defense against non 2 legged dangers, you might be able to use the long walking stick mentioned earlier in combination with a metal trash can lid as a shield. Might be a good idea to paint the lid some darker color though.

Probably be worth reviewing the movie 300 or Troy before heading to the woods as well.

To be determined
Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: TurkeyHunter] #2618458 09/28/11 09:43 PM
billybob Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question [Re: TurkeyHunter] #2618461 09/28/11 09:44 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I have never been attacked by a pig but I came dang close one time. I was walking to my tree stand before daylight to bow hunt and as I approached the area I saw my game camera flash. I figured there were already deer at the feeder so I just stopped beside a big oak tree to wait until I could see. (I rarely use a flashlight when walking in). Anyway, I was standing about 50 yards from the feeder and realized that it was not deer, but pigs. Well the sow came around by me and the little ones were at the feeder and that thing saw me and charged. She got within a couple of feet of me and slid to a stop. She kept me bayed for a good 10 minutes before finally leaving and taking her little ones with her. That was the day I started carrying my pistol with me to the stand. It was not a good feeling to be staring at a big sow holding nothing but a bow and arrow with no flashlight. I actually drew and started to shoot her between the eyes but I figured she would get me for sure if I did. Glad I didn't do that now looking back.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide