Page 1 of 2 1 2
Why are wasps flocking to my blind? #239017 10/25/07 02:18 PM
B
Bitmap Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
B
We built a new elevated blind out of pressure treated wood this year. The sides are pressboard that has been painted with non-skid floor paint. Hundreds of wasps are flying around and in it and walking all over it. Big wasps, little wasps, you name it. They are not aggressive but I have no doubt they would sting if you sat on one or mashed one with your hand while climbing in or out.

Is there any way to get them to go away?

What are they attracted to? The paint? The pressure treated wood? They are also swarming around our farm house which is 5 miles from the blind so maybe it is not the blind in particular, but they aren't swarming like this out in the trees, just around the buildings.

I don't know that spraying the blind would help much at this point.

It is not expected to freeze between now and this weekend. I'm taking my two oldest (7 and 6) hunting and don't want the wasps to bother us. Also, my dad is so allergic to wasp stings that his doctor gave him syringes of some kind of medicine that he takes with him everywhere in case he is stung. The wasps need to go!!! How do I convince them?

Thanks

Re: Why are wasps flocking to my blind? [Re: Bitmap] #239018 10/25/07 02:23 PM
T
TXBowhunter1 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
i havent tried it yet but there are some people that put chlorine tabs in their blind.....works year round to keep the wasps out.

Re: Why are wasps flocking to my blind? [Re: Bitmap] #239019 10/25/07 02:25 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
It is getting cold and the wasps are looking for a winter home. They been doing that forever, set off a bomb in the blind, go to the local coop and ask them what you need to spray the outside of the blind. I don't remember the name of the stuff, but get a 2.5 gallon pump up sprayer to do the outside. Better do it now, that is a new smell and will scare off the deer for several days.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Why are wasps flocking to my blind? [Re: Bitmap] #239020 10/25/07 02:26 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
It's that time of year, and their looking for a warm spot. I have the same problem here. Leave a window open in your truck while hunting and they'll gather up. Once i was working on a well and had left my window open. Didn't notice anything until i turned the heater on. There must have been 30 of them in the cab with me.

Just make sure you have the blind well sealed.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Why are wasps flocking to my blind? [Re: dogcatcher] #239021 10/25/07 02:27 PM
B
BamaTexan Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
I remember reading somewhere about wasps being very territorial. The article said if you make a nest out of a paper bag crumpled up then they will stay away. Don't know if it will work or not but might be worth a try???

Re: Why are wasps flocking to my blind? [Re: BamaTexan] #239022 10/25/07 02:33 PM
G
GOLDSTEIN Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
We have wasps in our blinds every year in Laredo. They are just looking for a nice warm home out of the cold wind. We generally bomb them every year, but others will move in once those die. The best remedy is to keep plenty off wasp spray at your camp. I keep a can in my backpack that I take with me to the stand. Open up the door, shine your light around, and start spraying them. They will die quickly, and I have never ahd any problems with the deer smelling the nasty spray.

My pennies worth!

Retirement Planning & Asset Management
www.SullivanFinancialPartners.com
Re: Why are wasps flocking to my blind? [Re: BamaTexan] #239023 10/25/07 02:33 PM
M
MontagueBowBuster Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
We could barely get our feeder filled this weekend because there were so many and they just all came out of know where!

Re: Why are wasps flocking to my blind? [Re: Bitmap] #239024 10/25/07 02:35 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
They are trying to find a warm place. Plain and simple. If you will check around, you will see Lady Bugs doing the same thing.

What we used to do was slip up to our big enclosed blind, ease the door open and put a can of insect fogger inside, set it off and close the door. Go back an hour or so later and the problem would be pretty well taken care of.

Then we would keep a can of wasp spray in the blind and any time we saw a wasp, it got sprayed.

Until it freezes, I do not know of anything that will repel the things. They are going to try and find cracks and stuff to crawl into, and they will pile in them by the hundreds.

Probably what the Dr. gave your Dad is an Epi-Pen. it contains Epinephrine, a steriod, that helps open the bronchial tubes so that the person can breath. Most allergies immediately affect the lungs and the trachea.

Lora has the same condition and she carries one with her everywhere.

Odd thing is, that where she is allergic to wasps and bees, I know of at least two times in the past two years that she has been stung by a scorpion and had no ill effects, other than the area around the sting hurting for a couple of days.

The thing you have to be careful with, is that your boys have not inherited that same allergy.

Until or unless it freezes the wasps will just continue to be a problem. JMO.

Maybe someone else knows of some form of repellent.

Good Luck and Good Luck to the boys this weekend.

Re: Why are wasps flocking to my blind? [Re: Crazyhorse] #239025 10/25/07 02:49 PM
T
TreeBass Offline
Old Weller
Old Weller
T
I'm going up this week to take out a couple nests on the side of my blind...setting a bomb off inside as well....

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others...

Like the THF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texashuntingforum
Grizzly Coolers
Re: Why are wasps flocking to my blind? [Re: Bitmap] #239026 10/25/07 02:56 PM
B
Bitmap Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
B
I understand about them looking for a warm place but this isn't a sealed blind. The shooting port is an 18" high opening all the way around (except for the roof supports) so there isn't a warm place in it. Also, setting off a bug bomb would be a waste of time in the open air. Spraying the outside will kill some of them but not quick enough to keep from getting stung if you put your hand on one.

ETA that youth season is this weekend so any possible cure better be soon. I guess we can hunt in the morning until it gets warm enough for the little flying critters to become active.

All my blinds before have been on the ground and made from trees, burlap, camo cloth and re bar so when the wasps gathered around the house I never worried too much.

Maybe we should try yellow jacket traps?

Last edited by Bitmap; 10/25/07 02:59 PM.
Re: Why are wasps flocking to my blind? [Re: Bitmap] #239027 10/25/07 03:17 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Bugs don't know whether it will be warm or not, sort of like elk don't know how many legs a horse has got.

The concept is "They Are Looking For A Place To Get Out Of The Weather".

Any crack around any structure, blind/house/barn/feeder, you name it will attract them.

There are sprays available that kill on contact, and they do work.

The drawback to hunting till it starts warming up, is that with 3 of you in that blind, no matter how open it is your body temps will raise the temp in the blind. Couple that with touching off a shot, which will jar wasps out of those cracks and crevices, and you may end up with some stings anyway.

Were it me, I would try to get to the place on Fri. night as early as possible and do anything I could to get those little devils killed. JMO.

Re: Why are wasps flocking to my blind? [Re: Crazyhorse] #239028 10/25/07 03:56 PM
W
wellingtontx Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
Try hanging a couple of those fly traps that are sticky from Walmart. No smell and will catch/trap those that decide to take flight while you are in the blind. Dont want to spray bug killer opening morning.

Re: Why are wasps flocking to my blind? [Re: wellingtontx] #239029 10/25/07 05:15 PM
D
DCS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I would keep the blind sprayed with wasp spray for a while, maybe the residual smell will keep them away. Of course, it may keep the deer away also. I have also heard of people spraying the nest and surrounding area with WD-40. They claim it keeps them away. Google up "Wasp Repellents"

Re: Why are wasps flocking to my blind? [Re: wellingtontx] #239030 10/25/07 05:18 PM
B
Bitmap Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
B
We're going to try and make some home made traps like these:

http://www.pollinator.com/gallery/yellow_jacket_trap.htm

I'm going to make them out of gallon milk jugs and 2 liter soda bottles. Maybe 2 on each side of the blind. Hang them on the outside near floor level so they are out of the line of sight but still above the deer.

Re: Why are wasps flocking to my blind? [Re: Bitmap] #239031 10/25/07 06:37 PM
N
nthrolhntr Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
N
Quote:

We're going to try and make some home made traps like these:

http://www.pollinator.com/gallery/yellow_jacket_trap.htm

I'm going to make them out of gallon milk jugs and 2 liter soda bottles. Maybe 2 on each side of the blind. Hang them on the outside near floor level so they are out of the line of sight but still above the deer.

Looked at the website and sounds like a good idea. Will try it this season.

Didn't know yellowjackets were "beneficial" little beasties but do know that from my experiences with them the level of tolerance for yellowjacets with me is 0 - that's zero, for those of you that may have thought it was a letter of the alphabet.

Re: Why are wasps flocking to my blind? [Re: nthrolhntr] #239032 10/26/07 12:08 AM
BackWoodBubba Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
The best thing is a chlorine tablet, safe and inexpensive.

Re: Why are wasps flocking to my blind? [Re: BackWoodBubba] #239033 10/26/07 12:51 AM
J
jsoukup Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
We sprayed our insides with Ortho Home Defense, so far it has worked, but we'll know for sure this weekend. Soapy water will kill wasps, not as fast as a chemical spray, but it will work.

Shoot straight and always carry a 7mm Remington Magnum.
Re: Why are wasps flocking to my blind? [Re: jsoukup] #239034 10/26/07 01:23 AM
B
BigGuy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Use a bomb and spray it down with insecticide. It's tougher to keep them out of a blind with no windows - not because the windows keep them out, they don't, but with windows it's easier to kill them when they get in. I use the bombs and then hang a HotShot No Pest Strip in my blinds. They supposedly work 4-6 months but my blinds had nothing (wasps, spiders or other bugs) in them Labor Day when we checked them and the NPS had been in there almost a year. I only had some underneath the floor on the outside. Other blinds on the lease were full of them - inside and out.

Good Luck and Good Hunting.
Re: Why are wasps flocking to my blind? [Re: BigGuy] #239035 10/26/07 02:21 AM
H
highlonesome1 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
When I first checked the blinds i found that one of the doors had been left open. I expected to fing coon scat and wasp nests everywhere. Other than a few leaves and some dirt it was clean. There was a wine bottle with some liquid and cigarette butts. Mabe that's what kept everything out. (the liquid wasn't wine)
Soapy water dropps wasps and bees on contact like the can sprays. That is basically what the Fire Dept uses to clear hives.

Re: Why are wasps flocking to my blind? [Re: highlonesome1] #239036 10/26/07 03:16 AM
B
big10 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
i always have probay with wasp in or around my blinds. i aways try to go in a week before the season and kill em all with wasp spray. then during the season if theres any in there if its cold i just cut em in half witha pocket knife since they wront be moving

Re: Why are wasps flocking to my blind? [Re: Bitmap] #239037 10/26/07 10:06 AM
D
daulongranch Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Quote:

Maybe we should try yellow jacket traps?

Don't waste your money. I had one out at my place. It caught a few honey bees but not one yellow jacket. We can't afford to lose too many more honey bees.

Re: Why are wasps flocking to my blind? [Re: daulongranch] #239038 10/26/07 12:32 PM
M
memarkers Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
We visit each blind the night before (on our annual booze cruise/deer survey) we are going to hunt and kill them with the butt of a scewdriver one by one. Since it is cold at night they will just sit there. Don't forget the ones under the carpet and seat. No smell and no cost.

Last edited by memarkers; 10/26/07 12:33 PM.

Mark Chatelain
Re: Why are wasps flocking to my blind? [Re: daulongranch] #239039 10/26/07 12:34 PM
T
TEXASLEFTY Offline
THF Whiskey Sommelier
THF Whiskey Sommelier
T
I have never had a problem with them, but my grandfather always put horse apples split in two in his blinds and never had a prblem with any insects.

Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey
Never been to a camping world. I prefer Dick's to be honest.
Re: Why are wasps flocking to my blind? [Re: TEXASLEFTY] #239040 10/26/07 02:56 PM
M
MontagueBowBuster Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Horse apples that crazy, I would have never thought of that to work!

Re: Why are wasps flocking to my blind? [Re: MontagueBowBuster] #239041 10/26/07 03:27 PM
J
JED Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
A spray bottle with a combination of dish soap and water will kill them faster than anything else that I have ever used, you don't get that nasty insecticide smell either. Just do it when it is still cool and they are inactive.

3rd Armored Division
B Co 5/18 Infantry
[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide