Print Thread
Bushmaster Carbon 15 superlight #2270784 04/26/11 04:48 AM
S
sbvx67 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
I bought one of these AR 15's.Thought it was cool that it is only 5 lbs empty. Well I have now decided that this gun is a POC.They have designed the upper with an aluminum rail that dove tails onto the carbon upper with one screw. That's right I said one screw.And that's not the worst part that one screw is threaded directly into the carbon material which turns to powder. so now I have an AR15 that my scope just moves around at will. This really kinda ticks me off. I can not afford a lease and get very few opportunities to go out and kill some pigs. Now I have to wait for them to take their sweet time fixing my pig gun. mad barf bang
Just needed to vent thanks for listening,

Re: Bushmaster Carbon 15 superlight [Re: sbvx67] #2270836 04/26/11 06:10 AM
G
gbeard Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Can you send it back or return it and get your money back

Re: Bushmaster Carbon 15 superlight [Re: gbeard] #2271026 04/26/11 01:23 PM
C
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Sorry to hear that, I wanted one of these a few years ago but did some research and the reports weren't very favorable.

I would raise hell with their product manager

Re: Bushmaster Carbon 15 superlight [Re: ccoker] #2272369 04/26/11 11:23 PM
S
sbvx67 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
They say they'll warranty it. Now I'm afraid that it'll be no better than original. Very large design flaw in my opinion.

Re: Bushmaster Carbon 15 superlight [Re: sbvx67] #2272374 04/26/11 11:24 PM
S
sbvx67 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
It's hard to shoot accurately when there is no place solid to mount your optics........

Re: Bushmaster Carbon 15 superlight [Re: sbvx67] #2272664 04/27/11 12:52 AM
Q
quartierleblanc Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Q
The little Bushie was never meant to be a precision rifle. It is a lightweight short range carbine and meant for close in work. The rail system was mean for small reflex sights or red dot mounted foward along the rail. If you want magnification you need to put it behind the reflex and in front of the buis. This means an EoTech or Trijicon which means bucks. Use the Burris system instead. It's a hell of a lot cheaper. There are also a couple of other things you can do. Ask Bushmaster which free floated handguard will fit the upper. You'll probably have to remove the gas block and gas tube in the process. You can add a riser across the rail which will give some rigidity. It won't be optimal but it will make it work. This is the wrong lower for any sort of hunting. I built one with a bushie upper like you have and a plum crazy lower and it works fine.

Re: Bushmaster Carbon 15 superlight [Re: quartierleblanc] #2272736 04/27/11 01:09 AM
D
DallasShootingSupplies Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Even if he runs an EO its not gonna hold zero if the rail is moving around.

Originally Posted By: quartierleblanc
The little Bushie was never meant to be a precision rifle. It is a lightweight short range carbine and meant for close in work. The rail system was mean for small reflex sights or red dot mounted foward along the rail. If you want magnification you need to put it behind the reflex and in front of the buis. This means an EoTech or Trijicon which means bucks. Use the Burris system instead. It's a hell of a lot cheaper. There are also a couple of other things you can do. Ask Bushmaster which free floated handguard will fit the upper. You'll probably have to remove the gas block and gas tube in the process. You can add a riser across the rail which will give some rigidity. It won't be optimal but it will make it work. This is the wrong lower for any sort of hunting. I built one with a bushie upper like you have and a plum crazy lower and it works fine.

www.class3machining.com
Barrel Threading
50k+ barrels done. Zero Baffle Strikes
www.facebook.com/barrelthreading
www.instagram.com/class_3_machining/
Recommended by Silencerco, Capitol Armory, Hansohn Brothers, Gemtech, Ally Outfitters, The Firearm Blog etc
Re: Bushmaster Carbon 15 superlight [Re: DallasShootingSupplies] #2272775 04/27/11 01:19 AM
C
Capt. Andrew Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
can someone say....JBweld ...

Fishingcharterspi.com
Fishing South Padre Island TX
Snook,Redfish,Trout. Cast n blast available
Re: Bushmaster Carbon 15 superlight [Re: DallasShootingSupplies] #2272791 04/27/11 01:23 AM
Q
quartierleblanc Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Q
I didn't have a problem with it. It was never meant to carry a large scope and a reflex sight mounted forward will work fine. It's a 3 MOA weapon and less so if you going to do an mag dump. I even put a lightweight JP carrier into it and it worked well. I don't know what he means by "turning to powder" but the rail system was more than adequate. Put a Magpul buis on it and the system is under 5 pounds. If you really want precision you're looking at an entirely different weapon.

Re: Bushmaster Carbon 15 superlight [Re: Capt. Andrew] #2272804 04/27/11 01:28 AM
D
DallasShootingSupplies Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: andrew mar
can someone say....JBweld ...

LOL, not a bad idea at all.

www.class3machining.com
Barrel Threading
50k+ barrels done. Zero Baffle Strikes
www.facebook.com/barrelthreading
www.instagram.com/class_3_machining/
Recommended by Silencerco, Capitol Armory, Hansohn Brothers, Gemtech, Ally Outfitters, The Firearm Blog etc
Re: Bushmaster Carbon 15 superlight [Re: DallasShootingSupplies] #2272828 04/27/11 01:34 AM
Brandon972 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I prefer duct tape clap

Re: Bushmaster Carbon 15 superlight [Re: Brandon972] #2273101 04/27/11 02:55 AM
S
sbvx67 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
I tried 2 part epoxy. After 3 shots it was loose again.

Re: Bushmaster Carbon 15 superlight [Re: quartierleblanc] #2273127 04/27/11 03:02 AM
S
sbvx67 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
I didn't have a problem with it. It was never meant to carry a large scope and a reflex sight mounted forward will work fine. It's a 3 MOA weapon and less so if you going to do an mag dump. I even put a lightweight JP carrier into it and it worked well. I don't know what he means by "turning to powder" but the rail system was more than adequate. Put a Magpul buis on it and the system is under 5 pounds. If you really want precision you're looking at an entirely different weapon.

I never mounted a large scope on it.
You can take yours somewhere else and play for all I care Idiot.

Re: Bushmaster Carbon 15 superlight [Re: sbvx67] #2273543 04/27/11 12:16 PM
Q
quartierleblanc Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Q
For an idiot I seemed to have built one without a problem. I wonder who the real idiot is here? But what we're here to do is discuss this weapon and as I see it your problem is mine as well. I have two Plum Crazy lowers just waiting on a build and I was just about to call BM and purchase an upper. I was doing a bit of research and hit this site. Needless to say because of YOUR problem I didn't make that call. Why don't you calm down a bit and give some more info about the upper you have. Did it have a forward assist or not? Was the manufacturer Professional Ordinance or Bushmaster. The only manufacturer I've known for carbon fiber uppers is/was Professional Ordinance and Bushmaster. PO made them in AZ and I think was in Lake Haversau or something like that for BM and everybody else till 2003 or so and sold out to BM. If the manufacturing site was moved or the specs changed that's something I'd like to know before hand. Maybe you could provided a pic of the rail and the problem. BM will usually make good on its parts provided you didn't damage it yourself. If they don't they might have just lost another sale because of what you just wrote here. If anyone here knows of another maker of carbon fiber upper assemblies I'd really like to know that.

Re: Bushmaster Carbon 15 superlight [Re: DallasShootingSupplies] #2274312 04/27/11 05:35 PM
G
gbeard Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
I have a buddy who has a carbon bushy in 9mm. He has a larue 7 inch guard on it and one of their Iron Dots (I think the fast fire version). Its a sweet shootin rig.

Re: Bushmaster Carbon 15 superlight [Re: gbeard] #2275055 04/27/11 11:38 PM
S
stewed&tattooed Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
I have had one. Never had a problem with it. had a large night vision scope on it and fired several rounds down range without any damage to the weapon. out of all of the ones they produce not all will be perfect and you may run into 1 out of 200 that have a problem, but i do agree that it suxs when you run into something like this and it can leave a sour taste in your mouth.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword, obviously never encountered automatic weapons"- General MacArthur
Re: Bushmaster Carbon 15 superlight [Re: quartierleblanc] #2275207 04/28/11 12:51 AM
S
sbvx67 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
For an idiot I seemed to have built one without a problem. I wonder who the real idiot is here? But what we're here to do is discuss this weapon and as I see it your problem is mine as well. I have two Plum Crazy lowers just waiting on a build and I was just about to call BM and purchase an upper. I was doing a bit of research and hit this site. Needless to say because of YOUR problem I didn't make that call. Why don't you calm down a bit and give some more info about the upper you have. Did it have a forward assist or not? Was the manufacturer Professional Ordinance or Bushmaster. The only manufacturer I've known for carbon fiber uppers is/was Professional Ordinance and Bushmaster. PO made them in AZ and I think was in Lake Haversau or something like that for BM and everybody else till 2003 or so and sold out to BM. If the manufacturing site was moved or the specs changed that's something I'd like to know before hand. Maybe you could provided a pic of the rail and the problem. BM will usually make good on its parts provided you didn't damage it yourself. If they don't they might have just lost another sale because of what you just wrote here. If anyone here knows of another maker of carbon fiber upper assemblies I'd really like to know that.

Sorry. I'm pissed about the whole situation.A picture won't show anything obvious.I didn't build this one I bought it complete.I think you are correct about them being manufactured in AZ.On their (BM) website there is a post from another guy with the same problem as me.Mine does have forward assist and dust cover original.

Last edited by sbvx67; 04/28/11 07:18 AM.

Re: Bushmaster Carbon 15 superlight [Re: sbvx67] #2277705 04/29/11 01:05 AM
Q
quartierleblanc Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Q
I tried to call them today but couldn't talk to a living human being. The original PO's didn't have the forward assist and the dust covers. If I find out something I'll let you know. Polymer is the wave of the future ( if there is a future)

Re: Bushmaster Carbon 15 superlight [Re: sbvx67] #2922690 01/12/12 07:18 AM
N
Nod Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
N
Why are you messing with the screw?

I have harvested 3 deer, 1 turkey, and several pigs in central texas with this rifle this season. (55gr SP Federal Bullets)

I opted out of the factory red dot and put a nice Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 on it and this thing is AMAZING.

Mind you it did take longer to "dial in" to 100 yards than a brand new remington 30.06 (boresighted) but I started at 50 and worked my way up to the 100 yard in no time. (under 50 rounds compared to 10 with a brand new remington)

On a side note, don't bother with heavy grain bullets, I have noticed NO ADVANTAGE. The 1/9 twist rate is not enough to stabilize a heavy bullet. And actually was a DISADVANTAGE to accuracy. THESE GUNS ARE MADE FOR 55gr!!!!!!

If I had to make an assumption, that is the problem the original poster had when shooting high grain bullets and pulling on and off a scope (I have no Idea why you would be messing with the rail, screws do strip out if you mess with them too much)

Sorry for your experience, but I just had to say mine was very different, and this has been a great, pig, deer, turkey all around rifle for me this fall.

I bought it because it isn't so heavy, people always ask "what accessories are you gonna put on it?" I tell them "NOTHING it is a SUPERLIGHT rifle, anything would make it heavier!"

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide