5196105 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2235608 - 04/09/11 08:14 PM ? about hog fences around feeders
neil mitchell Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Lufkin,Texas
My lease is SW of Ozona. The ground is all limestone. How do you guys anchor a fence around your feeders? You can't dig a hole or drive t-posts in the limestone.

Thanks

Neil

#2235634 - 04/09/11 08:21 PM Re: ? about hog fences around feeders [Re: neil mitchell]
deerslayer64d Offline
Tracker

Loc: springbranch TX
If u have or can rent a compressor a hammer drill works great ! U can drill 2" hole and use t-post add water to the millings and it will set up tight .

#2235639 - 04/09/11 08:23 PM Re: ? about hog fences around feeders [Re: deerslayer64d]
neil mitchell Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Lufkin,Texas
Hadn't thought of that.
Thanks

Neil

#2238375 - 04/11/11 12:48 PM Re: ? about hog fences around feeders [Re: neil mitchell]
Stump_jumper Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Rockwall, Tx
I prefer not to have feeder pens. If you have a hog problem then just start some population control. I find that most deer will not go in to a pen. On our lease we have about 1/2 the feeders with pens and half without. At the ones with pens there seems to be one deer, normally a young buck, that goes in to the pen.

#2238498 - 04/11/11 01:35 PM Re: ? about hog fences around feeders [Re: Stump_jumper]
redchevy Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: Stump_jumper
I prefer not to have feeder pens. If you have a hog problem then just start some population control. I find that most deer will not go in to a pen. On our lease we have about 1/2 the feeders with pens and half without. At the ones with pens there seems to be one deer, normally a young buck, that goes in to the pen.

More than likely your pins are too small.

Shooting or trapping to keep the numbers down is kinda pointless unless you live on or very close to the place. No way you can make a big enough impact with a trip once or twice a month to keep the hogs under controll.

matt

#2238683 - 04/11/11 02:43 PM Re: ? about hog fences around feeders [Re: redchevy]
Stompy Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Breckenridge Tx
I live on my ranch and it's hard keeping up with them dang hogs. I have 2 feeders at each location. This year I will be putting a hog panel pen around 1 at each location. Your right Red, Pen has got to be good size for the deer to be comfortable. Mine will probably be around 50' pens.

#2238723 - 04/11/11 02:57 PM Re: ? about hog fences around feeders [Re: Stompy]
TRIJI....WHAT Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: Stompy
I live on my ranch and it's hard keeping up with them dang hogs. I have 2 feeders at each location. This year I will be putting a hog panel pen around 1 at each location. Your right Red, Pen has got to be good size for the deer to be comfortable. Mine will probably be around 50' pens.

X2. I have 6 of them at my ranch and they are 60 by 60......

#2238941 - 04/11/11 04:40 PM Re: ? about hog fences around feeders [Re: neil mitchell]
murph Offline
Tracker

Loc: Bellville,Texas
Originally Posted By: neil mitchell
My lease is SW of Ozona. The ground is all limestone. How do you guys anchor a fence around your feeders? You can't dig a hole or drive t-posts in the limestone.

Thanks

Neil
Try this....

#2239809 - 04/11/11 10:40 PM Re: ? about hog fences around feeders [Re: murph]
Scoop Offline

Pro Tracker

Loc: North of San Antonio
Electric hammer drill works great. I have a big model for the rocky ground out at my place between Brackett and Rock Springs. Feed pens are definitely the way to go in hog country. Eight 34" hog panels work great in a circle, with 1' overlaps. Fasten together with wire rope clips (U-bolt looking things used as cable ties) and it will be really stable and only need one post per panel. I use a 1-3/8" bit that sinks holes about 16" for t-posts that are 1.5" and they drive in snug as can be. If your drill is smaller and won't go that big, use a smaller bit and rebar instead of t-posts.

#2239872 - 04/11/11 11:21 PM Re: ? about hog fences around feeders [Re: murph]
Brandon A Offline

THF Celebrity

Loc: North of Victoria
Originally Posted By: murph
Originally Posted By: neil mitchell

Thanks

Neil
Try this....

I like this idea... and i bet if u wanted too, u could drill some holes in the bottom board to hammer some pieces of rebar in to keep the cows from pushing it around.

#2242260 - 04/13/11 12:58 AM Re: ? about hog fences around feeders [Re: Stump_jumper]
TSullivan Offline
Outdoorsman

I find the opposite. If there are hogs at a feeder the deer stay away.

#2242447 - 04/13/11 07:54 AM Re: ? about hog fences around feeders [Re: TSullivan]
Scoop Offline

Pro Tracker

Loc: North of San Antonio
Originally Posted By: TSullivan

I find the opposite. If there are hogs at a feeder the deer stay away.

X2 - Before I put up a number of pens, the hogs could dominate the feed. Now I have a lot more deer able to get a share. Huge improvement in deer numbers and quality. If the pen is big enough, the deer will hop right in. I do keep some feeders un-penned as well cuz we hunt hog too.

#2243403 - 04/13/11 03:02 PM Re: ? about hog fences around feeders [Re: Scoop]
crease_flounder Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Austin, TX
If you're looking for inexpensive, the hammer drill/rebar way works well. I also hunt in the transition area between Rocksprings and Bracketville and there's a reason it's not called Dirtsprings. I bought masonry bits from Lowes big enough to accomodate a 1/2" piece of rebar and used it to anchor my 6' tower blinds. I drilled a hole in a bid of exposed rock, poured a little cement in the hole, and then tapped the rebar in with a sledge. So far so good.

We also bought some panels from a guy in Boerne who welded angle iron frames to 8' pieces of hog panel. The frames are hinged so that you can tap a metal rod beween them to hold the frames together. Once the frames are all hinged together, the fence is too heavy for most hogs to lift. The nice thing about this option is that you can add, subtract, or relocate pens without much work and without having to anchor them too much. 2 of us set up a 10 panel pen in about 20 minutes.

#2244812 - 04/14/11 07:21 AM Re: ? about hog fences around feeders [Re: crease_flounder]
mapman5 Offline
Light Foot

Loc: Lubbock
At our place if you don't fence it you're just feeding pigs. Size matters. If it's too small deer don't like it. Ours range from 30' x 30' to 60' x 60'.

#2245123 - 04/14/11 10:03 AM Re: ? about hog fences around feeders [Re: Stump_jumper]
BenBob Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Undercover

I find all kinds of deer, bucks, does, young and old in my feed pen and when the feeder goes off, they make no bones about jumping in. Population control on the hogs is necessary, but impossible to do in some situations, so you better have another way of keeping them at bay.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2014 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide