Forum Stats
52972 Members
41 Forums
386634 Topics
4971256 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1960459 - 12/28/10 07:33 PM Information about Axis deer (graphic)
Brother in-law Online   content
THF Celebrity

If you are un experienced in axis, this is just an fyi. They are alot tougher than whitetail! A shot that would take down most WT deer may not be for an axis. I have shot enough now with calibers of all sizes to know that now. The vital make up is up further forward in the shoulder. They also dont bleed the same.
Today we took two axis from our lease this morning. I sat with a 16 year old using a 243 with good Hornady bullets. His shot may have been a bit low, but should have been good enough. His young doe went about 100 yards and didn't start bleeding till about 40. The only clue given was she bucked a little after the shot. I have seen this countless times now. It could have easily been missed by the shooter. Always try to observe the last place you see them; it save our butt today.
While I was with him, his dad was at another stand. I heard the shot and got a text from him about shooting at an axis spike. He was going to find it and meet him there etc. While driving to meet him, he yelled at me from the woods about 500 yards from where I was supposed to meet. I learned that he was on a blood trail and he had just jumped the deer. Instead of waiting like we were supposed to do we continued to look. We didn't walk another 20 yards and he spotted it about 60 yards away. He had a small window and shot it through the neck.
Anyways here are some pictures. My point is watch them and hopefully you won't wound or lose one.

First picture is the entry with a 270WSM 130 ballistic tip (Im not a fan of the ballistic tip)

Second picture is the exit

Its hard to believe it could have ran that far with that shot in my opinion.

#1960467 - 12/28/10 07:37 PM Re: Information about Axis deer (graphic) [Re: Brother in-law]
erniejs Online   happy
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Springtown ,Tx USA
Thats one heck of an exit hole!!

#1960479 - 12/28/10 07:42 PM Re: Information about Axis deer (graphic) [Re: erniejs]
txtrophy85 Online   content
THF Celebrity

they are tough.

alot tougher than a whitetail, but not indestructable.

they do have alot thicker bones and it seems more will to live

#1961357 - 12/29/10 12:06 AM Re: Information about Axis deer (graphic) [Re: txtrophy85]
MaggieMTx Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Coleman County
ballistic tips are better left for pigs & varmints. but yes they are tough & like to run it out.

#1961449 - 12/29/10 05:19 AM Re: Information about Axis deer (graphic) [Re: MaggieMTx]
kmon1 Online   content
junior
THF Celebrity

Loc: Rowlett, Texas
Good advice for anything a hunter is shooting at. Knowing where to start trailing from is an important part of recovery.

Axis are tough critters but for such a tough one with a huge will to escape they sure do taste good

#1961515 - 12/29/10 06:41 AM Re: Information about Axis deer (graphic) [Re: kmon1]
Hoytman Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: hopkins co
Never shot a axis so cant comment on how tuff but shoot ballistic tip out of my 6.5x55 swed and dropped every pig and whitetail i ever hit. Maybe its just the caliber and bullit combo.

#1961573 - 12/29/10 07:39 AM Re: Information about Axis deer (graphic) [Re: Hoytman]
texjam Offline
Woodsman

Loc: League City, Tx
Saw an axis buck get knocked down at 100 with a .243 with super duper bullets; chased a pig, got back to axis, he was gone and never found. I shot a 28" buck in Nov. at 70 yds w/ a .35 rem. Put 2 behind shoulder to insure he didn't run.

#1961610 - 12/29/10 07:52 AM Re: Information about Axis deer (graphic) [Re: texjam]
KWood_TSU Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: College Station/Bryan
Its still about shot placement. We've killed 2 with 22 mags this year.

Just a question bil, why did he shoot an axis spike? Almost all exotics will always be a spike as a yearling.

Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop
I'm going on a HF ranch next week to hunt ducks. It's gonna be awesome, all I'm taking is a tennis racket.

#1961615 - 12/29/10 07:56 AM Re: Information about Axis deer (graphic) [Re: KWood_TSU]
Bob in TX Offline

Pro Tracker

Loc: Devine, TX
I took this doe for the freezer (and a couple pillows) on our Youth Freezer Filler Hunt two weeks ago. DRT with my 7mm-08 shooting 140 gr. TTSX's. She was quartering toward me at 160 yards. They are equal to 2 of our south and central Texas whitetails in size.

Bob

Prescription Assistance: http://www.lsrxcare.org/index.cfm?id=71796

#1961739 - 12/29/10 08:30 AM Re: Information about Axis deer (graphic) [Re: Bob in TX]
jdickey Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Waco, Texas
Good healthy looking deer Bob. I've never had the opportunity to shoot an axis, but based upon what I have heard over the years, I don't think I would try to shoot one with anything less than a .270!

#1961789 - 12/29/10 08:44 AM Re: Information about Axis deer (graphic) [Re: jdickey]
TxAggie10 Offline
Tracker

Loc: Paradise, TX
Yes axis are tough. That's why me and my brother in law have a "shared" axis buck. BIL made the first shot but the axis buck ran a good ways. He stopped behind a tree from my BIL but I could see his rear end. At 250+ yards I nailed his rear end with a .260. This knocked him down, but he was still alive. It took a third shot to end it.

I've also seen my grandfather stab an axis buck 7 times in the chest cavity before it quit kicking.....

#1961820 - 12/29/10 08:52 AM Re: Information about Axis deer (graphic) [Re: TxAggie10]
HUNTING_COACH Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Burnet, TX
Originally Posted By: TxAggie10
Yes axis are tough. That's why me and my brother in law have a "shared" axis buck. BIL made the first shot but the axis buck ran a good ways. He stopped behind a tree from my BIL but I could see his rear end. At 250+ yards I nailed his rear end with a .260. This knocked him down, but he was still alive. It took a third shot to end it.

I've also seen my grandfather stab an axis buck 7 times in the chest cavity before it quit kicking.....

WOW,that is an ethical shot. Shoot one in the butt, and hope he goes down. Did you get any meat off the hindquarters, or were they are worthless?

And to the guy shooting axis with a .22 mag, good for you. Nice to see that people are using the right calibers for the game they are hunting. That is absolutely ridiculous. If I had done that, I would be too embarrassed to post that on a hunting forum.

To each his own, however wrong it may be.

#1962129 - 12/29/10 10:19 AM Re: Information about Axis deer (graphic) [Re: HUNTING_COACH]
stinger13 Online   content

Woodsman

Loc: Trophy Club
Originally Posted By: HUNTING_COACH
Originally Posted By: TxAggie10

WOW,that is an ethical shot. Shoot one in the butt, and hope he goes down. Did you get any meat off the hindquarters, or were they are worthless?

And to the guy shooting axis with a .22 mag, good for you. Nice to see that people are using the right calibers for the game they are hunting. That is absolutely ridiculous. If I had done that, I would be too embarrassed to post that on a hunting forum.

To each his own, however wrong it may be.

Not that I agree with what was used to kill the axis, but it was his choice at the time and it worked. If it embarrasses you, then don't do it. It worked for him. What about overkill calibers? Sometimes an opinion just might be best when kept to ones' self.

#1962142 - 12/29/10 10:23 AM Re: Information about Axis deer (graphic) [Re: stinger13]
HUNTING_COACH Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Burnet, TX
Not that I use either one, overkill or too little gun for the animal I am hunting, but I dang sure would rather use an overkill calibers, rather than one that is too light. I use the gun that is capable of putting down the animal that I am hunting, in ethical manner.

Thanks for your comments, but you might just heed your own advice about keeping opinions to yourself. "Let he who casts the first stone. . ."

I think I am going to go change all of my posts because someone does not agree with me.

Edited by HUNTING_COACH (12/29/10 10:24 AM)

#1962365 - 12/29/10 11:27 AM Re: Information about Axis deer (graphic) [Re: MaggieMTx]
Brother in-law Online   content
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: MaggieMTx
ballistic tips are better left for pigs & varmints. but yes they are tough & like to run it out.

How do you figure? You don't think that 270wsm that went through that shoulder and out the other size is adequate to kill a deer size animal? This is an informative post showing the shot placement with a larger than most round. Think of all the people that went to Academy all those years and bought Winchester ballistic silvertips; and right there on the box it stated it was rated for deer size animals. They even had pictures of the animals you were supposed to kill with it.
Your statement is again redundant of what other have already said. How many axis have you killed now?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2014 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide