Print Thread
Southeast Texas Lease #1931397 12/17/10 10:23 PM
S
silentex Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Before I bite the bullet and get a membership with deertexas, I'm curious to know if anyone knows of a lease in the SETX area (within 2 hours drive of Beaumont).

I'm not looking for a very big lease and am trying to spend around $1000/yr.

Thanks!

Justin H.

NSC: Firearms & Hunting Supplies
Re: Southeast Texas Lease [Re: silentex] #1931433 12/17/10 10:35 PM
D
drivingonempty79 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
just FYI... I have memberships to Leasehunter and Deertexas. I like Leasehunter way better. But that is just my opinion.

I wish to become immortal and then die.
Re: Southeast Texas Lease [Re: drivingonempty79] #1931873 12/18/10 01:25 AM
H
huntindude Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H

Re: Southeast Texas Lease [Re: huntindude] #1934040 12/19/10 12:14 AM
S
silentex Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
I don't quite understand the crownpinetimber site. Are those existing leases, or are they tracts that are meant to be developed into new leases?

I'd prefer an existing a lease. I'd hate to have to go through the insurance, members, etc.

I've found a few decent ones on LeaseHunter, but the majority are from the current season, so they haven't returned my calls yet. I did find my existing lease on leasehunter, but the place is far too big.

Justin H.

NSC: Firearms & Hunting Supplies
Re: Southeast Texas Lease [Re: silentex] #1939445 12/21/10 02:15 AM
R
ripgere Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
I found a forum that had a thread about Crown Timber and their clear cutting practices (pictures were included). They tend to log during deer season. When they clear cut, they do not wind row the debris. I'll see if I can find that thread. I was considering getting a lease with them, but changed my mind after reading this thread.

Re: Southeast Texas Lease [Re: ripgere] #1939698 12/21/10 03:23 AM
D
deerslayer78 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Hey silentex I sent you a PM bro!!!

You Only Fail If You Never Try!!!
Re: Southeast Texas Lease [Re: deerslayer78] #1940833 12/21/10 04:31 PM
R
Russ79 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
R
Let me tell you about Campbell Group (Crown Pine Timber). First, that website can navigate you to already existing leases that are looking for members. If you click on the site above you go right to the Texas counties with leases available. The counties in blue have tracts available for you to bid on. Most, if not all, have been leased before and not renewed so they are now available to lease. There is also a drop down box there- look for box that says "select type of lease" in red. hit that down arrow and there is an option for leases looking for members. You will find lots of leases listed with either phone numbers or email addresses for contacting the lease manager for more info. What ripgere said above is kinda true. Most timber land nowadays is not owned by companies that are in the wood products business- they are in the business to grow and harvest trees as cheaply as the can and sell them for as much as they can. Cleaning a tract, such as wind rowing debris and burning is not done any more, except on maybe privately owned tracts of timber, because it adds cost. So the debris is left and when they do their site prep work they just run the bulldozers over whatever is laying in the way and whatever doesn't get pushed to the side is run over. I can tell you that timber is cut when it is scheduled unless the weather changes the plans. Timber is cut year round. During long spells of rainy weather the timber cutting crews go to tracts that they can get logs out of, such as high ground, sandy areas and most of our rainy weather is in the spring and late fall/winter. The bad thing is you will not be notified when this is to be done. If it happens during hunting season you just grit your teeth and put up with it. In the four years that I have had my lease I have had to deal with clearcutting, prep work, replanting, and aerial spraying and they all happened either just before bow season or just before gun season.

Last edited by Russ79; 12/21/10 04:33 PM.
Re: Southeast Texas Lease [Re: Russ79] #1944839 12/22/10 06:33 PM
S
Slo_One Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Hey Silentex I have been recently relocated to the SETex area. I have checked into Crown pine timber but didn't know the particulars. Russ79 has provided some valuable info. It sure doesn't sound as interesting anymore.

I too am looking for the same price, area as well. If you come across something and need another spot filled let me know. I'll keep you in mind as well if I come across something that looks promising.

Re: Southeast Texas Lease [Re: Slo_One] #1945359 12/22/10 09:10 PM
R
Russ79 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
R
I am not trying to discourage anybody from leasing from Campbell. Because their primary money maker is timber they can lease at a lower cost than many land owners, it is just that you will have to put up with some inconveniences every now and then. If you lease from a rancher who is in the main business of growing beef then you will have to put up with cows. If the land owner just has income from leasing then you will probably pay more. Also, if you already live in the east Texas area then you will have a shorter drive to the lease and maybe get more hunting time in. Everything in life is a trade off.

Re: Southeast Texas Lease [Re: ripgere] #1945398 12/22/10 09:25 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: ripgere
I found a forum that had a thread about Crown Timber and their clear cutting practices (pictures were included). They tend to log during deer season. When they clear cut, they do not wind row the debris. I'll see if I can find that thread. I was considering getting a lease with them, but changed my mind after reading this thread.

it all depends on who is on the lease.... they still take care of the older employee leases that they've opened up memberships on for the general public. Find one that was an old Temple-Inland Salaried Supervisors lease and you will have little issues with their clearcutting practices and will know exactly when and where any cutting will happen.

Re: Southeast Texas Lease [Re: rifleman] #1957004 12/27/10 09:59 PM
T
TDB Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
I am glad I found this post,I have been to several of the crown places they listed for lease and was about to make an offer on 2 of their properties for me and about 4 other hunters.This would have been a disaster for the friendship of me and my friends. We are leaving a timber lease run by others and have not had a problem for 3 years we have been on the lease just not enough deer.I guess I thought all timber leases were the same.

I will have to start looking at joining a existing lease that we did not want to do. Thanks for the heads up !

Bowtech Diamond Rocks !

Re: Southeast Texas Lease [Re: TDB] #1957383 12/28/10 12:29 AM
R
Russ79 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
R
TDB, why would this have been a disaster? Your friends would be upset at you for finding a lease and there may be problems with timber practices? I have no dog in this fight but don't discount timber company leases out of hand. I only have experience with Campbell but if you are looking for something to manage yourself then this can be the way to go. I have 300 acres and I have had every part of timber management happen on my lease in the four years that I have had it, but not every year. The first year I had it they did do site prep work and plant on about 90 acres that had already been clearcut before I got it. But The bulldozer crew actually was real good about avoiding the foodplots that I had started and actually finished pushing a road thru for me that I had started. The next two years I had no activity on it. Over this past year I did have about another 20-30 acres clearcut and the site prep has been done. I also had to deal with one day of aerial spraying with a helicopter during bow season. We also had a major gas pipeline go thru the lease but that will only give me some new areas for foodplots. This year so far we have had one spike, two nine points, and a 10 point killed. Not too bad for a timber company lease.

Re: Southeast Texas Lease [Re: Russ79] #1957427 12/28/10 12:49 AM
R
Russ79 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
R
You can gauge what you might expect on these tracts once you look at the timber growing. Big timber you can expect to be cut any time. Anything from a three foot tall sapling up to trees that you can take both hands and encircle- no cutting any time soon. Timber eight to 10 inches in diamter- should expect a first thinning. If the tracts you looked at had creek branches or drainages that is even better. When they cut they have to leave timber standing along them and they become instant bottlenecks.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide