Affiliates
Texas Fishing & Outdoors Show
Big Billy Kinder Outdoors
Honey Hole All Outdoors Television
Fat Boy Outdoors
 Barry Stokes’ Southwest Outdoors Report
Advertisement
Newest Members
Smokinghawk, jwright20, Bil, HntMX, J from the Bayou State!
52173 Registered Users
Top Posters
RWH24 42988
dogcatcher 39294
BMD 38794
Big Orn 37481
stxranchman 36762
rifleman 36140
BOBO the Clown 31495
sig226fan (Rguns.com) 27139
Txkiller 23496
txshntr 23453
facebook
Forum Stats
52173 Members
41 Forums
375832 Topics
4832261 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1727318 - 10/06/10 09:01 PM Scent Elimination Products and Mythbusters
jaymz Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Collin, Erath and Bosque
Was watching mythbusters tonight and they did an interesting test. Jamie bathed in scent elimination products, wore scent elim clothing and sprayed on scent elim product. With a 5 minute head start Jamie ran to a hiding place outdoors. They gave a bloodhound his original scent and had the dog track em.

Dog didn't miss a beat and found him right away.

Obviously a bloodhound has an excellent nose. I just thought it was an interesting test.

#1727450 - 10/06/10 09:30 PM Re: Scent Elimination Products and Mythbusters [Re: jaymz]
Texas Dan Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Originally Posted By: jaymz
Was watching mythbusters tonight and they did an interesting test. Jamie bathed in scent elimination products, wore scent elim clothing and sprayed on scent elim product. With a 5 minute head start Jamie ran to a hiding place outdoors. They gave a bloodhound his original scent and had the dog track em.

Dog didn't miss a beat and found him right away.

Obviously a bloodhound has an excellent nose. I just thought it was an interesting test.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

A quick Google uncovered this...

"Deer smell at a level 20 times better than humans, but dogs have about 25 times more olfactory (smell) receptors than humans do."

IMO, a five level difference between deer and dogs equates to a deer being able to bust you as easily as a dog. Save your money and just use the wind to your advantage.

Spring, Texas

#1727478 - 10/06/10 09:43 PM Re: Scent Elimination Products and Mythbusters [Re: Texas Dan]
redseal Offline
Tracker

Loc: Harper
i think deer smell 99% of the time, the times they don't bust you for it is cause they don't see you as a threat or don't give a s***

#1727490 - 10/06/10 09:47 PM Re: Scent Elimination Products and Mythbusters [Re: Texas Dan]
Inky Doc Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Spring, TX
The Scent-Lok company's own scientists that developed their products testified against them in a civil suit stating that scent elimination is pure fallacy. I can't believe people spend thousands of dollars on an item that will NEVER do what it is supposed to do. I don't use any scent eliminating products and never will. The closest thing I use to a cover scent is called tobacco! I still chain smoke while hunting and seem to be doing just fine.

#1727510 - 10/06/10 09:51 PM Re: Scent Elimination Products and Mythbusters [Re: redseal]
Veteran Tracker

Originally Posted By: redseal
i think deer smell 99% of the time, the times they don't bust you for it is cause they don't see you as a threat or don't give a s***

I could not agree with you more!!!!!! I was out small game hunting yesterday and two young does walked perpendicular to me about 50 yards downwind and when they smelled me just looked at me for a sec and went about their business. Scent-Lok is 21st century snake oil.

#1727587 - 10/06/10 10:16 PM Re: Scent Elimination Products and Mythbusters [Re: Inky Doc]
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Big D
Ouch!

http://www.heinsmills.com/cases/Scent_Lok.html

Now I can see the benefit of concealing odor or reducing it but there is no way to eliminate it as those companies claimed. Too bad deer aren't trained to run to the scent like a bloodhound!

#1727643 - 10/06/10 10:39 PM Re: Scent Elimination Products and Mythbusters [Re: Txduckman]
Veteran Tracker

Cheers, Txduckman!

#1727658 - 10/06/10 10:42 PM Re: Scent Elimination Products and Mythbusters [Re: Inky Doc]
mustafa Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

One of the reasons i only fart in to brown paper bags is to ensure the deer dont smell me and then come looking to hump my leg.

#1727778 - 10/06/10 11:29 PM Re: Scent Elimination Products and Mythbusters [Re: mustafa]
DAP ( IAFF 3627 ) Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Azle, TX
duel

#1727939 - 10/07/10 04:26 AM Re: Scent Elimination Products and Mythbusters [Re: DAP ( IAFF 3627 )]
Seadog Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: East Texas
All I know is I was using Scent away and had a yearling doe walk up to within 5 feet of me without alarm.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the Government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. - Thomas Jefferson

#1727991 - 10/07/10 06:43 AM Re: Scent Elimination Products and Mythbusters [Re: redseal]
PrimitiveHunter Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Whitesboro
Originally Posted By: redseal

X2. I can't count the number of times I know I was scented but the deer didn't spook. I cut across a grassy clearing one morning to a tree I was going to hunt out of. When it got light, I could see my trail through the tall wet grass leading right to my tree. I thought "It's a good thing deer aren't smart enough to understand that the trail leads to me". After a while, a Coyote cut across the clearing. When he hit my trial, he stopped, smelled it, and took right up on it coming towards me. About 25 yards from my tree, he cut off my trail and continued on his way. A few minutes later, a 4 point comes across the clearing, cuts the Coyotes trail, stops, smells it, and takes up the trail. When he comes to my original trail, he turns and starts following it. He has his nose down like a bloodhound and is following a trail made by me and a Coyote. When he came to where the Coyote turned off, he turned and went right behind him into the woods.

To make a short story long, I think it's pretty rare that you can fool a deers nose. Sometimes they just don't care. And sometimes they do dumb things. More than once, I've seen deer stop, smell a spot where a person urinated, and then just go on their merry way.

#1727994 - 10/07/10 06:44 AM Re: Scent Elimination Products and Mythbusters [Re: Seadog]
Gators2561 Offline
Outdoorsman

Well the scent elimination 99% isn't accurate but what you are doing is reducing the amount of scent your putting off. It def does do that same as using a cover scent such as coon piss or any such scent. I compare it to us smelling a skunk. If you smell a little wiff of a skunk no big deal you know there is one around somewhere but not to concerned. Now if you smell the same skunk and it's strong as heck then you now to get the heck out of there. The same principle just allows you to get a little closer with out the overwhelming scent we put off. But with saying this if you use the wind right that's the only 100% scent cover out there.

#1728040 - 10/07/10 07:19 AM Re: Scent Elimination Products and Mythbusters [Re: Gators2561]
Stickchunker Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Montgomery, Tx
I agree with Gators, one thing we fail to realize is, that about 80% of our scent comes from our nose and mouths.

#1728068 - 10/07/10 07:40 AM Re: Scent Elimination Products and Mythbusters [Re: Stickchunker]
deewayne2003 Online   content

Extreme Tracker

If you want to kill odor boil a gallon of water and add a box of baking soda, its the same thing as sent away.

I think the "odor eliminating" products are just another example of how much CRAP is sold to hunters, it all comes down to...

1. How many hours you spend in the woods
2. The quality of the place you hunt
3. LUCK that the big buck walks out

#1728087 - 10/07/10 07:49 AM Re: Scent Elimination Products and Mythbusters [Re: deewayne2003]
bassackwards dav Offline
Tracker

Loc: EML azle tx
The test is interesting. Bloodhounds have a better nose then any other dog 40 times the receptors of us. I use cover scents like ceader oil and I cant find the one that was my favorite liquid earth scent.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2014 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide