Forums46
Topics538,349
Posts9,736,153
Members87,083
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Texas VA and Disability Benefits List [Re: TF Panther] #3821158 12/06/12 03:20 PM
T
TF Panther Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
This should not be a political thread but no Republican ever called me a terrorist but John Kerry sure did. No republican ever called the Marines at Haditha murderers without proof but John Murtha sure did. No Republican ever labeled me and all other returning vets a possible threat to the Nations security but the head Health and Human services Katherine Sebilius sure did.

Let's keep this about disabled vets and not about politics as we all have opinions.

Last edited by TF Panther; 12/06/12 04:50 PM.
Re: Texas VA and Disability Benefits List [Re: TF Panther] #3821283 12/06/12 03:54 PM
T
TF Panther Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Why is it the Texas VA system seems to be the worst in the country? Waco has the longest wait times of any VA office in the country. Avg. is 330 days. The Dallas VA is rated as one of the worst in the country and as someone who goes there I can see why.

Anyone else have problems at the Dallas VA? If one person complains....no one listens. If we all complain....they have no choice. Maybe we could get something going? I find the staff rude and getting timely appointments difficult for starters.

Re: Texas VA and Disability Benefits List [Re: TF Panther] #3824552 12/07/12 03:36 PM
jeh7mmmag Offline
gramps
gramps
VA Seeks to Expand TBI Benefits

December 7, 2012

Proposes Adding 5 Diagnosable Illnesses Secondary to Service-Connected TBI

WASHINGTON– The Department of Veterans Affairs is publishing a proposed regulation in the Federal Register that would change its rules to add five diagnosable illnesses which are secondary to service-connected Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI).

“We must always decide Veterans’ disability claims based on the best science available, and we will,” Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric K. Shinseki said. “Veterans who endure health problems deserve timely decisions based on solid evidence that ensure they receive benefits earned through their service to the country.”

VA proposes to add a new subsection to its adjudication regulation by revising 38 CFR 3.310 to state that if a Veteran who has a service-connected TBI also has one of the five illnesses, then the illness will be considered service connected as secondary to the TBI.

Service connection under the proposed rule depends in part upon the severity of the TBI (mild, moderate, or severe) and the period of time between the injury and onset of the secondary illness. However, the proposed rule also clarifies that it does not preclude a Veteran from establishing direct service connection even if those time and severity standards are not met. It also defines the terms mild, moderate, and severe, consistent with Department of Defense (DoD) guidelines.

Comments on the proposed rule will be accepted over the next 60 days. A final regulation will be published after consideration of all comments received.

VA’s decision is based on a report by the National Academy of Sciences, Institute of Medicine (IOM), “Gulf War and Health, Volume 7: Long-Term Consequences of TBI.” In its report, the IOM's Committee on Gulf War and Health concluded that "sufficient evidence of a causal relationship" - the IOM's highest evidentiary standard - existed between moderate or severe levels of TBI and diagnosed unprovoked seizures. The IOM found "sufficient evidence of an association" between moderate or severe levels of TBI and Parkinsonism; dementias (which VA understands to include presenile dementia of the Alzheimer type and post-traumatic dementia); depression (which also was associated with mild TBI); and diseases of hormone deficiency that may result from hypothalamo-pituitary changes.

Specific information about the Defense and Veteran Brain Injury Center is available at http://www.dvbic.org/. Information about Gulf War and VA's services and programs are available at: http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/gulfwar/hazardous_exposures.asp.

�Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in,
where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul.�
~ John Muir
Re: Texas VA and Disability Benefits List [Re: jeh7mmmag] #3848340 12/14/12 08:44 PM
jeh7mmmag Offline
gramps
gramps
Veterans Benefits Shouldn’t Be Compromised by Deficit Reduction

Quote:
VetsFirst is leading efforts to defend essential, and hard-earned, VA and Social Security benefits from the ongoing deficit reduction process.

In a letter to House and Senate leaders, VetsFirst and 17 other military and veterans’ service organizations informed congressional leaders about the devastating impact adopting the chained consumer price index (CPI) to determine the cost of living adjustment (COLA) for benefits would have on veterans. The chained CPI would lead to lower COLAs because it is based on the assumption that if something your normally buy becomes more expensive that you will simply switch to something cheaper instead.

The Congressional Budget Office estimates that changing the formula used to calculate the annual COLA to the chained CPI could save the government $208 billion over ten years. However, more than half of this amount – $112 billion – would come from Social Security cuts, which veterans rely on very heavily for both retirement and disability benefits. Another 11 percent of the savings – $24 billion – would come from VA benefits, civilian pensions, and military retirement pay.

VetsFirst believes that instead of adopting the chained CPI, which would lead to cumulative benefit cuts, the current formula should actually be replaced with one that is a more accurate measure of inflation. The current formula understates the true cost of living increases faced by older veterans and disabled veterans; it doesn’t take into account their higher share of spending devoted to health care, and that health care prices rise much more rapidly than overall prices. The chained CPI would be worse than the current formula because it doesn’t take into account that you can’t easily substitute one medical procedure for something less costly like you might by choosing the store brand in the vegetable aisle at the market.

We are not alone in our belief that the chained CPI is the wrong formula for determining an accurate COLA. Elected-defenders on the Hill include Senator Bernie Sanders, member of the Senate Veterans’ Affairs Committee, and founder of the Defending Social Security. During a recent teleconference, Sanders explained his belief that although deficit reduction is an issue that must be dealt with, cutting benefits for the men and women who have served their nation through military service is not the answer.

We agree.
http://www.vetsfirst.org/veterans-benefits-shouldnt-be-compromised-by-deficit-reduction/#comments

~ John Muir
Re: Texas VA and Disability Benefits List [Re: TF Panther] #3848417 12/14/12 09:11 PM
G
grasshopperglock Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: TF Panther
Why is it the Texas VA system seems to be the worst in the country? Waco has the longest wait times of any VA office in the country. Avg. is 330 days. The Dallas VA is rated as one of the worst in the country and as someone who goes there I can see why.

Anyone else have problems at the Dallas VA? If one person complains....no one listens. If we all complain....they have no choice. Maybe we could get something going? I find the staff rude and getting timely appointments difficult for starters.

I go to the Temple VA. I can walk in and in two to three days, see my primary care. Ive had over 150K spent on me over the course of two years.

I have no cost medical care for the rest of my life. I live with someone that doesn't. If youre complaining about the VA...your a serious tard.

All you have to do is wait for care. And want to run a mob to the doors of the VA. LOL...really?

The VA is one of the finest health care systems in the state of Texas.

Last edited by grasshopperglock; 12/14/12 09:11 PM.
Re: Texas VA and Disability Benefits List [Re: grasshopperglock] #3858102 12/18/12 01:14 AM
I
Inky Doc Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I
Grasshopper, are you being serious or are you being sarcastic? I'm not trying to start a fight but if your experience with the VA has been positive you are certainly in the minority. Surely, you're aware that there are people, many people, still waiting on a VA rating determination for over ten years. Although its no one specific person's fault the entire VA system needs an overhaul and they certainly need way more people to make disability determinations. I think 90 days is an acceptable wait time but most everyone I know waits at least a year. And I'm sad to report that there are quit a few people I know still waiting. I do applaud you for giving compliments where you think they are deserved but if you think you're experiences are the norm or typical, that's just not the case.

Re: Texas VA and Disability Benefits List [Re: Inky Doc] #3859064 12/18/12 06:10 AM
N
NORML as can be Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
Originally Posted By: Inky Doc
Surely, you're aware that there are people, many people, still waiting on a VA rating determination for over ten years.

10 Years!!! Must be for something that there is No Documentation On.

I have been in the VA System for 21 years there has been some Hick Ups with appointments, But I have to say everything has been pretty smooth. YES Determinations DO take way longer than one would think.

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VFF VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-

Re: Texas VA and Disability Benefits List [Re: NORML as can be] #3912615 01/03/13 06:40 PM
M
mitchell_usmc Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
I just got MedSepd after 10 years in. Approved my rating before I went on terminal then to find out the day after my EAS the claim as closed and disapproved. Now a new claim is put in and I didn't submit it. I'm glad I wasnt trying to live off that money b/c now they're saying June for my "Letter" to come in.

Re: Texas VA and Disability Benefits List [Re: TF Panther] #3920935 01/06/13 04:33 AM
T
TxBassAssassin Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Ahhhh VA

Re: Texas VA and Disability Benefits List [Re: grasshopperglock] #4033117 02/07/13 08:44 PM
T
TF Panther Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: grasshopperglock
Originally Posted By: TF Panther

I go to the Temple VA. I can walk in and in two to three days, see my primary care. Ive had over 150K spent on me over the course of two years.

I have no cost medical care for the rest of my life. I live with someone that doesn't. If youre complaining about the VA...your a serious tard.

All you have to do is wait for care. And want to run a mob to the doors of the VA. LOL...really?

The VA is one of the finest health care systems in the state of Texas.

A. I go to the Dallas VA. Rated worst in the country. Wow you can walk in and see your primary care in 3 days. That's good? Helps alot when you have the Flu. My wait is 2 to 3 weeks to see my primary care. If you have the Flu they say go to Dallas VA ER.

Avg ER wait time at Dallas VA ER is 12 to 15 hours if not bleeding.

The VA is the Best in TX? You must be a tard if you Think that. Avg ER wait time in Denton Private hospital???? 35 to 40 minutes. Guess you and Websters have a different definition of "Good".

If you want a doc who went to Sri Lanka Med school and can speak some english then the Dallas VA is the best care for you.

Re: Texas VA and Disability Benefits List [Re: TF Panther] #4033151 02/07/13 08:54 PM
T
TF Panther Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Anybody who thinks the VA is the best care available in TX with under paid and over worked docs, along with the mantra of give them pills and pass them along to the next doc, AKA the "VA shuffle", needs to have their head space and timing checked.

I had to self diagnose ruptured/torn disk after 6 years of complaing of extreme pain and demand an MRI after someone told me that was an option and after waiting 8 months to get said MRI then waiting another 2 months to get to an Ortho. Best in TX! I was told by them I had Fybromyalga....LOL. Quality care....Yet I am the tard. "I can walk in an see a doc in 2 or 3 days", LOL. Quality......

Re: Texas VA and Disability Benefits List [Re: TF Panther] #4033214 02/07/13 09:17 PM
T
TF Panther Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
The VA should be disbanded IMO and we should be given a quality private Insurance policy provided at current rates. When I call my kids doc (private Ins) at 8 a.m. and they give me an appointment in 2 hrs (during flu epidemic) I would say "3 days" or for me 3 weeks is un satisfactory by all medical standards. Just because it's "free" does not mean it has to be bad. BTW it's not "free" you paid a price for it.

Re: Texas VA and Disability Benefits List [Re: TF Panther] #4034381 02/08/13 03:51 AM
I
Inky Doc Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I
TF Panther- your last sentence says it all!!!

Re: Texas VA and Disability Benefits List [Re: Inky Doc] #4036481 02/09/13 12:25 AM
R
rangerk9 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
I am in the Medical Evaluation Board now and going through the IDES (Integrated Disability Evaluation System) and will see how the VA Treats me before making a commment. Hopefully, they provide all that I have earned (no more, no less).

I pray that all my fellow Veterans get treated with the best of care and with dignity/respect.

Rex

Last edited by rangerk9; 02/09/13 12:27 AM.

RLTW!!

Do Good!

Re: Texas VA and Disability Benefits List [Re: rangerk9] #4037587 02/09/13 03:20 PM
I
Inky Doc Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I
Ranger, my advice to you is don't play fair and expect the VA to play fair. Because they won't.

Re: Texas VA and Disability Benefits List [Re: Inky Doc] #4038488 02/09/13 09:41 PM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I have been using the VA since 1969, I have not had any major problems with them in all of that time. I have received top notch medical every time I have used them and have been treated the same as if I had went to my own Doctor. Actually I have waited longer in my private Doctor's waiting room than I have in the VA waiting room. The VA isn't perfect, but I am thankful for what they have done for me.

With claims things take time, they have to reviewed every way but loose, and then are reviewed again and even "loose" is reviewed. The VA offices in Texas are understaffed and over worked, the money they pay for the professionals in the medical field is a joke compared to what the same Doctor can make in the private sector. In the private sector they don't have to put up with the bureaucratic bull shirt or the complaining of the patients.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Texas VA and Disability Benefits List [Re: dogcatcher] #4046666 02/12/13 03:39 PM
T
TF Panther Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Dog Cathcer. The problem lies with the Big VA's. If you are going to the Ablilene VA availibility is not an issue due to a low patient population. Dallas on the other hand has high patient demand therefore we recieve rationed care. Chiropractor will see you every 90 days.

Physical therapy consist of, this is how you do the exercises. Now go home and do them and we will see you in 90 days here are some more pain killers. "Oh the exercises did not work? Hmmmm go home and do them again and we will see you in 90 days".

"While we realize your disc are ruptured and torn through out your spine, you are not a candidate for surgery....you need to learn to live with pain".

Re: Texas VA and Disability Benefits List [Re: TF Panther] #4074116 02/22/13 06:11 AM
Doc_K Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I left the Navy in May of last year and submitted my claim in November of 2011 per their new Early Enrollment Program. I still do not have a rating. I have two that are pending and both past their prescribed dates. I knew it would be slow but wow. I was in military medical my who career and never have I had an experience waiting like this. Its actually quite sad.

Re: Texas VA and Disability Benefits List [Re: Doc_K] #4077993 02/24/13 12:21 AM
I
Inky Doc Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I
From one Doc to another.... get use to it, brother. It sucks.

Good luck.

Re: Texas VA and Disability Benefits List [Re: Inky Doc] #4081743 02/25/13 05:34 PM
T
TF Panther Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Proceed with caution for those not reading the Gun Legislation thread.

http://freedomoutpost.com/2013/02/combat-veterans-with-ptsd-or-tbi-losing-the-right-to-bear-arms/

Re: Texas VA and Disability Benefits List [Re: TF Panther] #4082149 02/25/13 08:06 PM
J
jdickey Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
FYI...in 1997 President Billy Clinton issued his Executive Order requiring the VA to provide all records of Veterans with any mental health issues to the FBI/BATF. At the time, that EO affected over 80,000 veterans from all wars!

This is nothing news....and for once, it is not something Obama did. This information is still being sent to the FBI/BATF and is not reviewed until a veteran attempts to purchase a firearm. Then at that time, the veteran's medical file is reviewed and the decision is made to delay or deny the purchase. If delayed, the FBI will review the current records and make an evaluation based upon the medical records indicating the mental status of the veteran then to allow the purchase or deny it.

Bigfoot Research Specialist
http://www.texlaresearch.com/
Re: Texas VA and Disability Benefits List [Re: jdickey] #4089313 02/28/13 03:36 PM
T
TF Panther Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T

Re: Texas VA and Disability Benefits List [Re: TF Panther] #4089320 02/28/13 03:38 PM
T
TF Panther Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Also Bill Clinton may have started it but it appears BO is going on the offense with it. Since the National debate has recently begun and the letters have also, I am forced to not believe it is mere coincidence.

Re: Texas VA and Disability Benefits List [Re: TF Panther] #4092139 03/01/13 05:09 PM
jeh7mmmag Offline
gramps
gramps
FTC
Quote:
Warns Veterans: Be Wary of ‘Free’ Pension Advice

The Federal Trade Commission warns veterans and their families: Be wary of dishonest advisers offering “free” help with paperwork for pension claims.

Unscrupulous lawyers, financial planners and insurance agents advise veterans over 65 to transfer their assets to a trust, or to invest in insurance products, so they can qualify for Aid and Attendance benefits. By following their advice, you could lose your eligibility for Medicaid services and the use of your money for a long time, plus get billed for fees that range from hundreds to thousands of dollars.

Whether it’s through an ad or a website, these offers usually involve a free seminar, often at assisted living facilities, senior centers, or other places in your community. They may claim to be veterans themselves, and appeal to your emotions to get you to act. Consider any pressure to act fast as your cue to say no. Your best bet is to take your time, do some research, and consider all your options, including doing nothing.

To learn more, read the FTC’s Poaching Veterans’ Pensions.

The Federal Trade Commission works for consumers to prevent fraudulent, deceptive, and unfair business practices and to provide information to help spot, stop, and avoid them. To file a complaint in English or Spanish, visit the FTC's online Complaint Assistant or call 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357). The FTC enters complaints into Consumer Sentinel, a secure, online database available to more than 2,000 civil and criminal law enforcement agencies in the U.S. and abroad. The FTC’s website provides free information on a variety of consumer topics. Like the FTC on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, and subscribe to press releases for the latest FTC news and resources.
MEDIA CONTACT: Office of Public Affairs
202-326-2180

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2013/02/vetspension.shtm

~ John Muir
Re: Texas VA and Disability Benefits List [Re: jeh7mmmag] #4108574 03/08/13 02:45 PM
T
TF Panther Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Watch out Vets/brothers. Now Feinstein (Democrat) says all Vets are mentally ill and PTSD is a phenomenon of the Iraq War. My God this is unforgivable. There is a CSPAN link included within this one so you can watch her say it.

http://www.infowars.com/feinstein-all-ve...wning-firearms/

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide