Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Hunting on own property [Re: COWDOG] #1472405 06/10/10 04:25 AM
700X Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Originally Posted By: COWDOG
Talked to GW about the hog issue while back. If your going to eat it... You need a hunting license. Depreadate.... No license required. However if your caught hunting hogs it's up to the gw discreation. Most counties... is 10 acres to shoot.

Hit the nail on the head !!!

IT'S NOT THE GUN - IT'S THE PERSON BEHIND THE GUN!
Re: Hunting on own property [Re: kuntry_kid] #1472407 06/10/10 04:26 AM
K
kuntry_kid Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
And I found the exception on their site. It is only for depredation. I know this is common, but I believe it will come down to GW discretion.

Exceptions: a hunting license is not required to hunt the following:

Depredating feral hogs, if a landowner (resident or non-resident) or landowner's agent or lessee is taking feral hogs causing depredation on the landowner's land.

I am a proud United States Air Force NCO and I thank all of you for your support!!!
Re: Hunting on own property [Re: kuntry_kid] #1472412 06/10/10 04:31 AM
700X Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Exactly.

Re: Hunting on own property [Re: 700X] #1472444 06/10/10 05:02 AM
S
Scoop Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: E Rollins
Scoop - not with Hogs my friend - you can kill them YEAR ROUND with no license

Before we get somebody in hot water, this needs to be clarified. Unless it has changed in the past year or so, you cannot go to a ranch and hog hunt without a liscense. The state still wants their cut. If you own the land, that was where the gray area always came up. I got this from discussions with a warden.... but that was a few years ago.... Will check the regs.

Re: Hunting on own property [Re: Scoop] #1472449 06/10/10 05:11 AM
700X Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I will try to help ya..

If you put up a feeder and you kill them - your hunting them - you then need a license .

If your on your own property and you shoot them and walk away - you do not need a license or if the are tearing your hay filed up etc etc - you dont need a license..make sense ??

Re: Hunting on own property [Re: 700X] #1472451 06/10/10 05:13 AM
700X Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I dont know why people are so upset with hogs - unless you have some hay fields or something like that - then I understand,But as a whole - I love Hogs - its 50 percent of my sausage ..gotta have it .Love them Chops too.

Re: Hunting on own property [Re: 700X] #1472454 06/10/10 05:21 AM
S
Scoop Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Nope - dont need a license to kill hogs on your property... if you set up a feeder and hunt them - then you need a license-

You can shoot hogs right where you find them and leave them lay -no license needed..Take them home with you and you need a license.

Your story is shifting here.... The original poster is asking about HUNTING on his land, not just killing depredating hogs and dragging them off. Your original 24/7/365 statement with no liscense needed could mislead some in to thinking all they gotta do is tell the GW they are only hunting hogs, and they won't get written up. EEEEK. Wrong answer. "But Warden, E. Rollins said I didn't need a liscense. He even used exclamation points in his post!"

Just bustin' your chops, but you got it wrong, and I knew that was a common misperception that can get you in a bind. Don't want to pass along bad info on the regs... Just get a liscense and don't worry about it.

Re: Hunting on own property [Re: Scoop] #1472477 06/10/10 06:05 AM
700X Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Okay - you win - I thought I broke it down at least 3 different ways -your just not getting it .I will let someone else explain it.

Re: Hunting on own property [Re: 700X] #1472485 06/10/10 06:49 AM
K
kuntry_kid Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
Isn't anyone that would be on this forum and own their own property for hunting purposes (the point of this thread) going to have a license anyway????

Just saying.......

I am a proud United States Air Force NCO and I thank all of you for your support!!!
Re: Hunting on own property [Re: 700X] #1472572 06/10/10 12:23 PM
S
Scoop Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Okay - you win - I thought I broke it down at least 3 different ways -your just not getting it .I will let someone else explain it.

I get it, my friend.... right there in black & white. Just get a liscense and its not an issue...

Re: Hunting on own property [Re: 700X] #1472582 06/10/10 12:40 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Nope - dont need a license to kill hogs on your property... if you set up a feeder and hunt them - then you need a license-

You can shoot hogs right where you find them and leave them lay -no license needed..Take them home with you and you need a license.

You're so wrong and giving out incorrect information will only get those not knowing in trouble.

Regardless, whenever you are hunting, trapping, catching feral hogs, everyone must have a valid hunting license. The ONLY individuals that do NOT require a hunting license is the landowner (resident or non-resident), their agent/manager or their lessee (individual leasing the land for livestock, hay, growing crops) IF the feral hogs are depredating on their land (killing livestock, damaging planted crops for economic purposes, pastures planted and cut for hay, destroying fences, etc.). Knocking over deer feeders, rooting up flood plots planted to attract deer or wildlife, or wallowing in mud holes or normal rooting is not forms of depredation.

Re: Hunting on own property [Re: kuntry_kid] #1472584 06/10/10 12:41 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: kuntry_kid
Isn't anyone that would be on this forum and own their own property for hunting purposes (the point of this thread) going to have a license anyway????

Just saying.......

YES, regardless if you own the property or not, to hunt it, you are required a valid hunting license, regardless of your age. up

Re: Hunting on own property [Re: kyotee1] #1472688 06/10/10 01:37 PM
D
Dry Fire Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
This got off topic in a hurry. The 10/50 acre rule was passed by the Texas Legislature to prevent cities and/or counties from passing zoning laws preventing hunting on private property. If you own 10 or more acres, local governments cannot pass a law preventing you from hunting with a bow. If you own 50 or more acres, local governments cannot prevent you from hunting with a firearm.

coffee spelled backwards is eeffoc. I don't give eeffoc until I have my morning coffee.
Re: Hunting on own property [Re: 700X] #1472706 06/10/10 01:48 PM
J
Johnny Lobos Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Do yourself a favor and have at least one suppressed weapon.

Thanks for your service.

Last edited by Johnny Loco; 06/10/10 04:10 PM.
Re: Hunting on own property [Re: kyotee1] #1472753 06/10/10 02:11 PM
W
westtexaswatkins Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Originally Posted By: kyotee1

You're so wrong and giving out incorrect information will only get those not knowing in trouble.

Regardless, whenever you are hunting, trapping, catching feral hogs, everyone must have a valid hunting license. The ONLY individuals that do NOT require a hunting license is the landowner (resident or non-resident), their agent/manager or their lessee (individual leasing the land for livestock, hay, growing crops) IF the feral hogs are depredating on their land (killing livestock, damaging planted crops for economic purposes, pastures planted and cut for hay, destroying fences, etc.). Knocking over deer feeders, rooting up flood plots planted to attract deer or wildlife, or wallowing in mud holes or normal rooting is not forms of depredation.

Was wondering when you would show up. up

Re: Hunting on own property [Re: kyotee1] #1472896 06/10/10 03:31 PM
700X Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog

You're so wrong and giving out incorrect information will only get those not knowing in trouble.Regardless, whenever you are hunting, trapping, catching feral hogs, everyone must have a valid hunting license. The ONLY individuals that do NOT require a hunting license is the landowner (resident or non-resident), their agent/manager or their lessee (individual leasing the land for livestock, hay, growing crops) IF the feral hogs are depredating on their land (killing livestock, damaging planted crops for economic purposes, pastures planted and cut for hay, destroying fences, etc.). Knocking over deer feeders, rooting up flood plots planted to attract deer or wildlife, or wallowing in mud holes or normal rooting is not forms of depredation.

Wow - there are so many misguided people on here - I thought for a minute that they had changed the rule.Just got off the phone with a Game Warden - I'm right - If I am on my land and hogs are tearing up my places ..I dont need a License !!!If I put up a feeder amd then hunt them - I need a license.Guess maybe the game warden could be wrong - but I will take his side...LOLLL

Re: Hunting on own property [Re: 700X] #1472978 06/10/10 04:13 PM
S
Scoop Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S

You're so wrong and giving out incorrect information will only get those not knowing in trouble.Regardless, whenever you are hunting, trapping, catching feral hogs, everyone must have a valid hunting license. The ONLY individuals that do NOT require a hunting license is the landowner (resident or non-resident), their agent/manager or their lessee (individual leasing the land for livestock, hay, growing crops) IF the feral hogs are depredating on their land (killing livestock, damaging planted crops for economic purposes, pastures planted and cut for hay, destroying fences, etc.). Knocking over deer feeders, rooting up flood plots planted to attract deer or wildlife, or wallowing in mud holes or normal rooting is not forms of depredation.

Wow - there are so many misguided people on here - I thought for a minute that they had changed the rule.Just got off the phone with a Game Warden - I'm right - If I am on my land and hogs are tearing up my places ..I dont need a License !!!If I put up a feeder amd then hunt them - I need a license.Guess maybe the game warden could be wrong - but I will take his side...LOLLL

The misguided person is the one on page one of this thread that said, "No, you don't need a liscense to hunt hogs." and followed that up with several other incorrect assertions that could get somebody a ticket . Just because you opted to change your position and act like you never said that don't make it so. We are not stupid... we can go back and read it all plain as day. What you are saying now is exactly what I said and you called me out for bring wrong. This is my last on this thread, since I am obviously bang. Like trying to explain something to my teenage son.... He's never been wrong either. Arrgh.

Re: Hunting on own property [Re: Scoop] #1473008 06/10/10 04:30 PM
V
vanguard Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
yep your wrong on this one rollins. If your hunting you need a license, dont care if it squirrels rabbits pigs coyotes etc.

Re: Hunting on own property [Re: 700X] #1473025 06/10/10 04:38 PM
J
JJH Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J

You need to be careful about who you call misguided. kyotee1 is a respected member of this forum, a professional in the field, and has provided much guidance to forum members over the years. If you will READ, and comprehend what he said, it is 100% factual.

Re: Hunting on own property [Re: Scoop] #1473033 06/10/10 04:44 PM
700X Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Originally Posted By: Scoop

The misguided person is the one on page one of this thread that said, "No, you don't need a liscense to hunt hogs." and followed that up with several other incorrect assertions that could get somebody a ticket . Just because you opted to change your position and act like you never said that don't make it so. We are not stupid... we can go back and read it all plain as day. What you are saying now is exactly what I said and you called me out for bring wrong. This is my last on this thread, since I am obviously bang. Like trying to explain something to my teenage son.... He's never been wrong either. Arrgh.

Dude - are ya just having a bad day or what ?? go back to square one- I said you dont need a license - plain as day sevearal different times and ways --,,,somefolks understand what they read - some folks add to what they read - just call a game warden - he will tell you what I said from the get go..I'm not going to keep repeating it over and over...have a good day and try to calm down.

Re: Hunting on own property [Re: vanguard] #1473039 06/10/10 04:47 PM
700X Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Originally Posted By: vanguard
yep your wrong on this one rollins. If your hunting you need a license, dont care if it squirrels rabbits pigs coyotes etc.

Vanguard - please quote me where I said you didnt need a license if you were hunting..I have no idea where the guy got that from..hell - just go back and read the entire thread..Its plain and simple...I think he got screwed up in the mind when we started in on the Depredation vs hunting vs leave em lay ..its all good...

Re: Hunting on own property [Re: 700X] #1473040 06/10/10 04:47 PM
W
West Fork Armory Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
W
Not true, that will be a quick way to find yourself in front of a judge. A license is required, day or night 365, unless you can prove to the state beforehand that the hogs are distroying your property. I get people all the time that want to come out and hunt hogs without a license, a couple of them said they had a license but when the GW checked, they didn't. They both got a summons. My take on it is, if your shooting hogs without a license, it's easy to get caught up in accusations of hunting other game without a license. So your better off just going and spending a few bucks to get your license.

Re: Hunting on own property [Re: JJH] #1473050 06/10/10 04:50 PM
700X Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Originally Posted By: JJH

You need to be careful about who you call misguided. kyotee1 is a respected member of this forum, a professional in the field, and has provided much guidance to forum members over the years. If you will READ, and comprehend what he said, it is 100% factual.

I guess this is your attempt to " stir" the pot - I dont even know who kyoteel is - nor did I ever say he was wrong about anything..you must be reading something else than I am

Re: Hunting on own property [Re: West Fork Armory] #1473056 06/10/10 04:52 PM
700X Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Originally Posted By: WestForkGuideService
Not true, that will be a quick way to find yourself in front of a judge. A license is required, day or night 365, unless you can prove to the state beforehand that the hogs are distroying your property. I get people all the time that want to come out and hunt hogs without a license, a couple of them said they had a license but when the GW checked, they didn't. They both got a summons. My take on it is, if your shooting hogs without a license, it's easy to get caught up in accusations of hunting other game without a license. So your better off just going and spending a few bucks to get your license.

we have a grand prize winner ...thanks for posting that..maybe he can understand it now..I've only said it 100 times already....

Edit- the part in RED = and then you dont need a license - nuff said !!

Last edited by E Rollins; 06/10/10 04:55 PM.

Re: Hunting on own property [Re: 700X] #1473062 06/10/10 04:54 PM
S
Scoop Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
You can hunt Hogs witout a license - thats it.

Here's just one of the quotes to that effect from page one of the thread... and I am not at all angry. Just a bit amused at your position, and not wanting others to be misled.... If I had been wrong, I would have just admitted to it and moved on. Now I will officially bow out of this one....

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide