Page 1 of 2 1 2
Parasites in rabbits #13672 01/03/05 01:59 PM
S
stinkbelly Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Over the past couple of years, we have shot some rabbits with a worm like parasite under the skin above the tail. Has anyone ever seen this? What is it? It looks like a brown grub worm. They are about an inch long and 1/2 inch wide. They don't have a distinct head. The area on the rabbit's fur is always bloody and not from being shot. Any ideas?

Re: Parasites in rabbits [Re: stinkbelly] #13673 01/03/05 02:09 PM
S
sandman Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
They are 'wolves' (sp?). That's the reason that we never shoot rabbits until after a good freeze.

Re: Parasites in rabbits [Re: sandman] #13674 01/03/05 03:49 PM
O
OFBHWG Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
O
RULE IS ALWAYS SHOOT RABBITS TO EAT IN MONTHS THAT HAVE AN R IN THEM

When you need a Piano moved there is always someone around to help you with the stool!
Re: Parasites in rabbits [Re: stinkbelly] #13675 01/03/05 05:10 PM
campcook Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I may be wrong, but I think those are the same grubs that you see on the backs of cattle. I just cut out that little chunk of meat right uder where the grub was. It ain't hurt me any and I have been doing it that way for 35+ years.

Re: Parasites in rabbits [Re: campcook] #13676 01/03/05 06:03 PM
B
bluewavemike Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
We had a freeze. I cant beleive they have them now. I shoot them late every year with my bow. You know the little guys that feed all year at my feeder. Makes good gumbo.
If I cleaned one and it had worms I wouldnt eat it. Cooked at a temp of 300 or more would kill and funky stuff.LOL All I would think about is them worms.

MD Smith >>>-----> You gota kill it before you grill it
Re: Parasites in rabbits [Re: bluewavemike] #13677 01/04/05 04:05 AM
campcook Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Do you eat chicken. Don't fall dead in a chicken pen they'll eat you faster than a hog.

Re: Parasites in rabbits [Re: sandman] #13678 01/04/05 07:18 AM
M
mredneck Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
Quote:

They are 'wolves' (sp?). That's the reason that we never shoot rabbits until after a good freeze.

Would you consider the week of Christmas a good freeze? We shot 2 rabbits after Christmas. One had the "grub" looking thing the other did not. I also might add that the rabbit was not moving slow or acting sick.

24 looks best when it is upside down
Re: Parasites in rabbits [Re: mredneck] #13679 01/04/05 10:44 AM
campcook Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
As long as the rest of the meat appears to be okay and of a normal color, everything should be all right. If they weren't acting sick or anything just cook it done and you'll be okay. As for the business about only shooting rabbits in months with an R in them, that is something I have been hearing for at least 40 years, and as I said earlier about the grubs, I have been eating and shooting rabbits for all that time and it ain't ever hurt me.

Re: Parasites in rabbits [Re: campcook] #13680 01/04/05 11:20 AM
S
stinkbelly Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
The main problem I have is that I couldn't eat something after seeing that worm in it. I would only think about the worm as I was eating it. We tossed it for safety.

Re: Parasites in rabbits [Re: stinkbelly] #13681 01/04/05 12:39 PM
campcook Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Do you drink Tequillia.

Re: Parasites in rabbits [Re: campcook] #13682 01/04/05 02:37 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Having been known to imbibe a time or three of the blue agave's elixer of the gods...and OH MY ACHING HEAD...trying to "make the worm bounce" ...you have to remember that the "wools" found in rabbits were not nearly as pickled for nearly as long. And no I don't eat the pigs feet or quail eggs found in most good cowboy drinking establishments.

Always been told that the infected rabbits would die off after a sustained hard freeze of a week or so.

And it's SALTWATER OYSTERS that you don't eat in the months without an "R" in the name. And I will eat a couple dozen fresh ones if'n I can find someone else to shuck'em for me! washed down with a cold Pearl!!!
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Parasites in rabbits [Re: WileyCoyote] #13683 01/04/05 02:51 PM
B
bluewavemike Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Campcock doesnt even have a place to hunt. He's not a Texas boy he's from up north.

Re: Parasites in rabbits [Re: bluewavemike] #13684 01/04/05 04:04 PM
campcook Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
It is a real good thing that TheHag had to recently get on to someone about their profanity or I would give you an ear full of it. As I said somewhere else I am not real sure what your problem is with me, but I was born in Olney Texas in 1950. I'll just bet I have been a Texan as long or longer than you. As for your pitiful spelling, its CAMPCOOK, and that is Lora, this is Crazyhorse, and I bet I have also done as much or more hunting than you. And we do have a place to hunt, and have been hunting it for 12 years now. Now I am not sure where you got all your information about me or Lora, but you are full of it, and I don't mean Deer Corn. If my postings are so bad, why don't you just skip over them, but don't start mouthing off about someone you don't know one thing about.

Re: Parasites in rabbits [Re: campcook] #13685 01/04/05 04:33 PM
J
JBCooper Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
I'd say somebody knows what toe jam tastes like now! LOL
Open mouth and insert foot. As for the parasite in rabbits, I'm with the guys that would be overwhelmed by the thought of that nasty little worm. Tularemia is another concern of mine, when it comes to rabbits. Tularemia is the disease which "Wileycoyote" has confused with wolves. The reason "infected" rabbits die off after a hard freeze, is because Tularemia affects the lymphatic system and causes fever. Therefore, the rabbits cannot regulate their body temperature normally, resulting in death from frigid weather...
Just my .02....with that and a dollar, you might get a half cup of coffee! LOL

Re: Parasites in rabbits [Re: JBCooper] #13686 01/04/05 04:41 PM
J
JBCooper Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
By the way, Tularemia is communicable to humans! Handling infected meat can introduce the bacteria without even an open wound. It is also spread by deer flies and ticks and a bite from an infected rodent or rabbit.

Re: Parasites in rabbits [Re: JBCooper] #13687 01/04/05 09:16 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
JB thanks for the insight. Yes tuleremia is bad news stuff. I knew there was a reason I didn't hunt bunnie wabbits anymore when it was warm. Can't Miss North Dallas to eat tree rats or thumper so I just gave 'em up....but they saved my behinney from starvin' to death in college a couple times. I can see her face now if she ever saw a worm crawl out of a carcass ...LOL!!! She'd "chum" her way across the backyard in a NewYork micro second!!!
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Parasites in rabbits [Re: JBCooper] #13688 01/05/05 12:31 AM
campcook Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Sorry for the tirade and getting off subject. One or two grubs on a rabbits back never really bothers me, and I know this is gross, but if you look real close, that grub is actually in the connective tissue, between the skin and the meat. With some exceptions, usually there is only a bloody spot or bruise-like area where the grub was. The first time I remember hearing about Tulerimia, and this is one of my earliest memories, was in the late 50's, when my Dad was working on a ranch out by the Olney lakes. He always carried a single shot 410 with him, and cottontail was better than fried spam any day. Mother had heard about some sickness that rabbits had that could be passed on to humans, so she asked our family doctor about it. Basically his advice was if the rabbit looked or acted out of the ordinary, don't shoot it or don't pick it up if you do. I think it would be a fairly safe bet that all of us participating have had enough experience with animals, that we can tell if an animal isn't acting right before we shoot.

Re: Parasites in rabbits [Re: campcook] #13689 01/05/05 01:44 AM
campcook Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
OK, this is the REAL Camp Cook. For many years, I raised rabbits for show and meat. Tulerimia IS a so-called zoonotic disease (one like rabies, or plague, that is transferred from animals to humans). However it is not very zoonotic, and basic precautions will help you keep safe.

By the way, cottontails are much more likely to be tulerimic than hares, such as jackrabbits or snowshoes. Tulerimia is what Austrailia used to try to control their introduced-european rabbit problem. Unfortunately now Australia has a bunch of tulerimia-resistant bunnies.

Yes, if an animal looks or acts sick, it probably is, since nature has taught animals that if you look sick or hurt you are much more likely to be on the menu.

When you are butchering an apparently healthy animal, examine the liver. If it is the right size (not overly big or small), the right color (well, LIVER color ), and does not have white spots or grainy areas, you probably don't have a diseased animal.

Tulerimia is passed between animals more readily the hotter it is. What are the most hot months? the months without an "R" - May, June, July, and August. Which doesn't mean that you won't find a tulerimic animal during the winter, or that bunnies harvested during the summer are ill; your chances are just more likely.

Best way to find out if tulerimia is a problem in your area is to check with the County Extension Agent.

And, re: the parisites - it does sound like you are describing bot flies, and again if you can get over the thought of eating an animal that had a larva on it , you can probably eat the rest of it.

And, if anyone really wants to know, I was born on a Navy base in Puget sound, but got here to Texas when I was 5. Been fishing since I was 7, hunting since I was 15. Cooking since then, too.

We could all get along better if people would not make flat statements when they know not whereof they speak...
Lora

Re: Parasites in rabbits [Re: campcook] #13690 01/05/05 04:38 AM
J
JBCooper Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Lora, who made the flat/general statements?
Nevermind....I remember now! LOL

Last edited by JBCooper; 01/05/05 04:40 AM.
Re: Parasites in rabbits [Re: campcook] #13691 01/05/05 04:34 PM
B
bluewavemike Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Quote:

It is a real good thing that TheHag had to recently get on to someone about their profanity or I would give you an ear full of it. As I said somewhere else I am not real sure what your problem is with me, but I was born in Olney Texas in 1950. I'll just bet I have been a Texan as long or longer than you. As for your pitiful spelling, its CAMPCOOK, and that is Lora, this is Crazyhorse, and I bet I have also done as much or more hunting than you. And we do have a place to hunt, and have been hunting it for 12 years now. Now I am not sure where you got all your information about me or Lora, but you are full of it, and I don't mean Deer Corn. If my postings are so bad, why don't you just skip over them, but don't start mouthing off about someone you don't know one thing about.

Hey Bradbury!Thats a nice buck you killed this year.

Crazyhorse
How did you like a taste of your own medicine!!! LOL !!!
You dish it but dont take it!! >>>----->

Re: Parasites in rabbits [Re: bluewavemike] #13692 01/11/05 03:26 AM
campcook Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
This is Crazyhorse, and I have no idea what you are talking about. Maybe I am just that dense or stupid, but if you can take time to enlighten me on what your problem is with me, or what it was that I posted that wadded your panties up so much I would appreciate it.

Re: Parasites in rabbits [Re: bluewavemike] #13693 01/11/05 03:38 AM
J
JBCooper Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
bluewavemike, I think you had Campcook mixed up with Tirtypointer...he was the one from Iowa that didn't have a place to hunt down here.

Re: Parasites in rabbits [Re: JBCooper] #13694 01/11/05 02:48 PM
B
bluewavemike Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Crazyhorse tryed to dog out Bradbury one day.

Re: Parasites in rabbits [Re: bluewavemike] #13695 01/11/05 02:52 PM
B
bluewavemike Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I just giving you a hard time. Trying to get you fire up and it doent take much.LOL Chill out you will get your blood presure up ...

Re: Parasites in rabbits [Re: bluewavemike] #13696 01/11/05 03:11 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Word of Caution - rubber gloves (latex or vinyl) are cheap from Wally World and protect your hands while field-dressing/processing your meat, whether it's rabbit, deer, hogs, etc. I learned the hard way when I was working for the Health Dept. collecting ticks, mosquitoes, fleas, etc. to track diseases that are transmitted from animals to man (zoonotic). I ended up with Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and didn't even have a cut on my hand. The ricketsia (sp.) is so potent that it can enter your body through a scratch, hangnail and/or even unbroken skin!

I have been wearing surgical gloves when I field dress deer, hogs, rabbits, skin furbearers, process game, etc. just to be on the safe side. Oh, when they tested my blood back in the mid-80's when I was sick, I was borderline for Tularemia, Bangs, Plague, Psitticosis (avians) and a few more. Rocky Mountain SF flat put the hurt on me and none of yall need to go through what I did. I lost my eye sight, lost both kidneys, went on dialysis, transplanted with a kidney/pancreas and then lost both hips!! All of this happened in a 3 year ordeal.

Please be careful handling wild game and whatever you do, DO NOT crush ticks with your thumbnails!!! Pull them out with tweezers and flush them or burn them.

Chris

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide