Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Parasites in rabbits [Re: bluewavemike] #13697 01/11/05 03:46 PM
campcook Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
This is Crazyhorse, and, 1, I still have no idea what you are talking about, 2, I don't remember ever posting anything even slightly sideways to Steve, in fact I have met him and bought 2 guns off him. We had two real good conversations, and he is a really nice fellow. 3, no one likes to have people start spouting off stuff about them, when the person doing the spouting knows nothing about the person they are trashing. As far as my blood pressure getting up that is my business. And no it don't take much to get me fired up, cause I grew up around some old time Texans, that had no patience for people that would say stuff about a person that they had never had any dealings with. They would let that person know real quick and in no uncertain terms how they felt about such manners.

Re: Parasites in rabbits [Re: JBCooper] #13698 12/03/06 02:35 AM
L
lisa Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
L
I found your posting on Tulerimia after searching the web. I was looking it up because my son has just been diagnosed with it. He has spent a month in the hospital and has had three surgeries because of this. Doctors aren't sure where he got it from but I suspect that it is from our hunting dog who brings home some critter almost everyday. Just wanted to let people know how dangerous it is. It seems that dogs and cats don't get infected by it but can pass it on (as simple as my son giving the dog a treat and getting saliva on his hands.) maybe this posting will help somebody else as my sons infectious disease Dr.'s were stumped for a while on this one. Thanks

Re: Parasites in rabbits [Re: lisa] #13699 12/03/06 11:32 AM
dgilbert Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Hope your son get better, prayers sent your way.

Re: Parasites in rabbits [Re: lisa] #13700 12/03/06 02:46 PM
HOF Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Quote:

I found your posting on Tulerimia after searching the web. I was looking it up because my son has just been diagnosed with it. He has spent a month in the hospital and has had three surgeries because of this. Doctors aren't sure where he got it from but I suspect that it is from our hunting dog who brings home some critter almost everyday. Just wanted to let people know how dangerous it is. It seems that dogs and cats don't get infected by it but can pass it on (as simple as my son giving the dog a treat and getting saliva on his hands.) maybe this posting will help somebody else as my sons infectious disease Dr.'s were stumped for a while on this one. Thanks

Lisa, our prayers and hopes are with your son.

Searching the world over for the perfect Chile Relleno.
Re: Parasites in rabbits [Re: kyotee1] #13701 12/03/06 03:39 PM
D
DoNisUglyFat Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Quote:

Word of Caution - rubber gloves (latex or vinyl) are cheap from Wally World and protect your hands while field-dressing/processing your meat, whether it's rabbit, deer, hogs, etc. I learned the hard way when I was working for the Health Dept. collecting ticks, mosquitoes, fleas, etc. to track diseases that are transmitted from animals to man (zoonotic). I ended up with Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and didn't even have a cut on my hand. The ricketsia (sp.) is so potent that it can enter your body through a scratch, hangnail and/or even unbroken skin!

I have been wearing surgical gloves when I field dress deer, hogs, rabbits, skin furbearers, process game, etc. just to be on the safe side. Oh, when they tested my blood back in the mid-80's when I was sick, I was borderline for Tularemia, Bangs, Plague, Psitticosis (avians) and a few more. Rocky Mountain SF flat put the hurt on me and none of yall need to go through what I did. I lost my eye sight, lost both kidneys, went on dialysis, transplanted with a kidney/pancreas and then lost both hips!! All of this happened in a 3 year ordeal.

Please be careful handling wild game and whatever you do, DO NOT crush ticks with your thumbnails!!! Pull them out with tweezers and flush them or burn them.

Chris

Chris I am sorry for all your pain and suffering It seems so unfair to have all that from the pursuit of happiness.I hope that you are doing well now days though I am sure you have daily maitenance that is a burden.Thank you for sharring your story this makes me stop and think now unlike i have been for years as care free in the processing of my game animals.I have learned that freezing meat at zero degreese for 26 days or more will kill all bacteria in swine and I wonder if it will also take a way this health risk in rabbit carcasses??

Re: Parasites in rabbits [Re: DoNisUglyFat] #13702 12/08/06 06:00 AM
R
ripgere Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
As far as I know the parasites you guys are talking about are harmless, but aesthetically unappealing. The "wolf worms" are actually botfly larvae. They only live between the skin and muscle.

Re: Parasites in rabbits [Re: ripgere] #13703 12/08/06 05:46 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
You are correct on the bot fly larvae. I have seen those things on squirrels, but I do not recall ever finding one on a deer or a javelina. We find them on the jackrabbits and cottontails, and I just cut off that piece of meat that the larvae was touching.

Re: Parasites in rabbits [Re: kyotee1] #13704 12/08/06 09:04 PM
R
ripgere Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
In South America they have one that infest humans. Had a friend come back from Belize with 5 of those things under her skin.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide