Print Thread
Doe tags (how to get them?) #1251224 02/18/10 04:10 AM
C
cameron00 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
C
I have a pretty small piece of land in a county that does not permit the taking of antlerless deer. I have no problem with that in general, but my particular land is literally overrun with does. It's not unusual to have 10 at the feeder or see 30-40 in the pasture.

If it's not a possibility, I don't really care, but I'd like to shoot at least a couple of them to somewhat keep them in check. Is there any way to get issued doe tags if you have less than 50 acres and do not qualify for MLD? I only have 40 acres.

Again, no big deal if not. Just think that the intent of the rule was probably not to create a situation of vast overpopulation of does, which is exactly what we have.

Re: Doe tags (how to get them?) [Re: cameron00] #1252159 02/18/10 05:06 PM
30ft jon boat Offline
Tracker
Tracker
i would call tpwd or a game warden and find out your options..if you cant harvest the does,maybe they can trap and relocate them

Re: Doe tags (how to get them?) [Re: cameron00] #1252582 02/18/10 08:12 PM
L
lmberjack Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
bow hunt or crossbow....most counties that are no does allow does during archery season

Re: Doe tags (how to get them?) [Re: lmberjack] #1253213 02/19/10 12:07 AM
J
Jayrod Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
I'm not sure what the acreage requirements are but do some research on LAMPS permits.

Nature without man is unnatural
Re: Doe tags (how to get them?) [Re: Jayrod] #1253821 02/19/10 03:28 AM
W
wgonfan Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
and keep in mind, that you can team up with neighbors and get both propeties under one LAMPS permit, and I think even MLD. But your are in LAMPS situation, not MLD.

Re: Doe tags (how to get them?) [Re: wgonfan] #1255738 02/19/10 11:32 PM
T
tgravley Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Plant you some wheat out there and when the does come in they are destoying your crop. As landowner you can take them out if they are being destructive.

Gravley Construction remodeling custom kitchens,baths and media rooms.
Re: Doe tags (how to get them?) [Re: tgravley] #1255760 02/19/10 11:46 PM
W
wgonfan Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
Originally Posted By: tgravley
Plant you some wheat out there and when the does come in they are destoying your crop. As landowner you can take them out if they are being destructive.

That is bad advice. For one reason among many - you'd have to prove that the crop was planted for agricultral use, and I don't think that's gonna work with out more eqjuipment to harvest it. Just get the permits, that's what they are for. It is only 50acres, your nlot really going to be able to have much of an impact on the deer heard anyhow. More than likely There are probably only a few deer that actually "live" on your land, everything else is traveling through.

Re: Doe tags (how to get them?) [Re: wgonfan] #1255788 02/20/10 12:05 AM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
LAMPS may be ok for a NO DOE county, but it's dumb for a multiple doe county.

Friend of mine had land in a 2 doe county went the LAMPS route, he was restricted to ONE TOTAL, while every place around him got to shoot two per person...

Re: Doe tags (how to get them?) [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #1259794 02/22/10 01:46 PM
H
huntindude Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
I believe the minimum acreage is 100. If you are freindly with your neighbors like someone mentioned before, see if they will agree with adding their land with your. I got permission with my neighbor and will be applying this May. I talked to TPWD and they said I had to wait until May to submit my request form. Negative part as mentioned in previous reply, is that you wont have a doe season like everyone else. In my county I am allowed to shoot two doe for the first 3 weeks of the season, but with the "doe" permit, I have to go with what they tell me to shoot. It might be only one, but I would wether wait until after the rutting is done to shoot a doe than to shoot during the first 3 weeks of rifle season. JMO. Good Luck

Re: Doe tags (how to get them?) [Re: wgonfan] #1260496 02/22/10 07:43 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: wgonfan
Originally Posted By: tgravley

That is bad advice. For one reason among many - you'd have to prove that the crop was planted for agricultral use, and I don't think that's gonna work with out more eqjuipment to harvest it. Just get the permits, that's what they are for. It is only 50acres, your nlot really going to be able to have much of an impact on the deer heard anyhow. More than likely There are probably only a few deer that actually "live" on your land, everything else is traveling through.

Not only is it bad advice, but what is being offered or suggested is manipulation of a regulation for what it's not intended for in the first place. That would not constitute depredating a crop.

Re: Doe tags (how to get them?) [Re: kyotee1] #1260510 02/22/10 07:50 PM
F
fowlplayr Offline
Shenanigans Scorecard keeper
Shenanigans Scorecard keeper
F
Go HERE and you can look at all of your options and requirements.

Re: Doe tags (how to get them?) [Re: fowlplayr] #1260529 02/22/10 07:58 PM
J
jbhlsu Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
J
I believe for LAMPS you need a min. of 200 acres?? I heard this last season. cheers

Re: Doe tags (how to get them?) [Re: jbhlsu] #1261648 02/23/10 03:56 AM
C
ccbaseball Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
go MLD, there is no advantage LAMPS has over MLD especially with minimal acreage, I have a 40 & 20 acre place in Colorado county registered and both get 1 doe tag a piece, and I have a 140 acre place that gets 2-3 tags a year in Colorado county. And I have a 60 acre place in Fayette county that gets 2 tags, and a 50 acre place in Lavaca that gets 3 tags. There is no set limit, 1 tag per 100 acres is a general guideline. All 3 of those counties have high doe numbers and the 2 biologists have no problem giving them to you if you use them.

Re: Doe tags (how to get them?) [Re: ccbaseball] #1261677 02/23/10 04:07 AM
C
cameron00 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Thanks for all the information, guys. I can, in fact, take a bag limit of 2 does during archery season. It looks like my best bet might just be to do that and have a couple of friends do the same, although we'd probably have to take 20 does to even make a dent.

I'm also going to call my large neighbor and see what his thoughts are on doe management. I know he hunts, but I'm not sure if he has the MLD permits, though he certainly qualifies from a size perspective.

Re: Doe tags (how to get them?) [Re: cameron00] #1261684 02/23/10 04:10 AM
C
ccbaseball Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
yeah dont apply for doe tags bc u can shoot 2 w a bow, but only during archery season, once rifle season comes around u cant w/o a tag. and if u get MLD doe tags u cannot shoot 2 w/o a tag. u can only archery hunt 2 w/o a tag if u dont have MLD permits on the land. IF THAT MAKES SENSE

Re: Doe tags (how to get them?) [Re: ccbaseball] #1261696 02/23/10 04:14 AM
P
pokerj2 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
The lease my dad runs is in Red River Co. He has been on the LAMPS program for years. All they have him do is fill out a survey at the end of every season and they send a renewal notice in July. And if I remember correctly, you have to have 200 acres to be able to qualify and for each additional 100 acres they give and additional permit.

President of American Entitlements LLC
Health insurance agency focusing in all ages from ACA plans all the way through Medicare.
Office is based in Wylie, TX
We have local agents in both Texas and Louisiana
469-814-0289
Re: Doe tags (how to get them?) [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #1261860 02/23/10 05:54 AM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
Originally Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)
LAMPS may be ok for a NO DOE county, but it's dumb for a multiple doe county.

Friend of mine had land in a 2 doe county went the LAMPS route, he was restricted to ONE TOTAL, while every place around him got to shoot two per person...

WHAT HE SAID!!!

Re: Doe tags (how to get them?) [Re: ccbaseball] #1262011 02/23/10 01:29 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: ccbaseball
yeah dont apply for doe tags bc u can shoot 2 w a bow, but only during archery season, once rifle season comes around u cant w/o a tag. and if u get MLD doe tags u cannot shoot 2 w/o a tag. u can only archery hunt 2 w/o a tag if u dont have MLD permits on the land. IF THAT MAKES SENSE

ccbaseball - you don't apply for antlerless TAGS, since TAGS are on your license; one applies for PERMITS, not tags. What you have written is extremely confusing.

The LAMPS & MLD program are not for tags, both are permits one can apply for. Tags are only on your license.

If you are in a county that requires PERMITS to take antlerless deer during the General Season, then you must apply for either LAMPS or MLD permits. Depending upon the suitable whitetailed deer habitat and antlerless deer density and for LAMPS, minimum acreage plays a role on receiving permits. The biologists just do not hand them out if you say you have too many does on your land, it's a little more involved than that. However many permits you receive if your land justifies for permits, that is the total number of antlerless deer you may take off your land during all whitetail deer seasons, except for the LAMPS program/permits. They are not required for the Archery Only Season or the Muzzleloader Only season.

Both permits are required for the Early and Late Youth-Only Season if the county requires permits or you are participating in the LAMPS or MLD program.

Re: Doe tags (how to get them?) [Re: kyotee1] #1262078 02/23/10 02:13 PM
P
PHishTX Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: kyotee1

ccbaseball - you don't apply for antlerless TAGS, since TAGS are on your license; one applies for PERMITS, not tags. What you have written is extremely confusing.

The LAMPS & MLD program are not for tags, both are permits one can apply for. Tags are only on your license.

If you are in a county that requires PERMITS to take antlerless deer during the General Season, then you must apply for either LAMPS or MLD permits. Depending upon the suitable whitetailed deer habitat and antlerless deer density and for LAMPS, minimum acreage plays a role on receiving permits. The biologists just do not hand them out if you say you have too many does on your land, it's a little more involved than that. However many permits you receive if your land justifies for permits, that is the total number of antlerless deer you may take off your land during all whitetail deer seasons, except for the LAMPS program/permits. They are not required for the Archery Only Season or the Muzzleloader Only season.

Both permits are required for the Early and Late Youth-Only Season if the county requires permits or you are participating in the LAMPS or MLD program.

So the general hunting license "tag" goes on the carcass.

Don't the MLP & Lamps also have carcass tags. I'm pretty certain you don't put the "MLP Permit on the carcass. Rather and LAMP/MLD "tag".

Last edited by PHishTX; 02/23/10 02:33 PM.

Originally Posted By: WMI report
"If age structure is deemed to be valuable to management,...What percentage change in age structure or condition does TPWD recognize that it needs to detect in order to trigger a regulatory change?

confused2TPWDconfused2
Re: Doe tags (how to get them?) [Re: PHishTX] #1262199 02/23/10 03:06 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
Yep, and once you are in either program, you are bound by that... I know a guy that got LAMPS permits and used them, then allowed others to use their tags during the Thanksgving doe season.... that's a no no...

Re: Doe tags (how to get them?) [Re: PHishTX] #1262220 02/23/10 03:13 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: PHishTX
Originally Posted By: kyotee1

So the general hunting license "tag" goes on the carcass.

Don't the MLP & Lamps also have carcass tags. I'm pretty certain you don't put the "MLP Permit on the carcass. Rather and LAMP/MLD "tag".

Then tag from your license goes on the deer IF you are not required to have a permit during anytime you don't require a permit during the General Season. And the tag from your license is attached to the deer during the Archery Only Season if you are not in the MLD program where then the MLD permit is attached to the deer.

The LAMPS and MLD permit ARE attached to the deer/carcass since both programs do not have tags, they have permits.

Re: Doe tags (how to get them?) [Re: kyotee1] #1264325 02/24/10 03:09 AM
C
ccbaseball Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
yes guys, sorry I made it confusing. you only use the tags on ur license when ur not part of LAMPS/MLD. But if u have doe permits from either of these, then you must use a permit on any doe taken and cannot use your license tags. If you have MLD/LAMPS permits on your property, YOU MUST USE THESE PERMITS DURING ARCHERY SEASON!!!!! and cannot just use your license tags

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide