Print Thread
Skunk Scent.... #1227305 02/08/10 08:45 AM
D
deerslayer78 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
D
Does anone know if Gander mountain sells skunk scent? I plan on going there soon and was wondering if they have it or if I would have to get it elsewhere? I know it works, it works great, but I would appreciate it if you know then please let me know. Thanks, Frank.

You Only Fail If You Never Try!!!
Re: Skunk Scent.... [Re: deerslayer78] #1227317 02/08/10 11:29 AM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Let me know if you find any.

I searched high and low for the last couple of years for some and cant find it.

I ended up switching to coon urine. Two years ago you could buy a 4oz bottle for $5, but this past year they down sized it to a 1oz bottle but guess what......its still $5! bang

Re: Skunk Scent.... [Re: JCB] #1227328 02/08/10 11:56 AM
T
tannerlst Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
caven's "gusto" call lure for cats/foxes/coyotes has a horribly bad skunk smell. i recently bought some for trapping, and this stuff still stinks to high heaven with the lid of the bottle tightened all the way with tape wrapped around it.... it was 4.50 for 4 oz bottle.. i had to put the stuff in the garage cause it smelled so bad even in the bottle it came in.

not really sure if it would work for what your wanting it for but its definately skunky!

Last edited by tannerlst; 02/08/10 12:12 PM.
Re: Skunk Scent.... [Re: tannerlst] #1227352 02/08/10 12:44 PM
D
deerslayer78 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
D
I just looked online and Cabelas has it and so should Gander Mountain. You can "google" (skunk scent for sale) and you will find quite a few places that sell it. The more of you who know the advantages of using skunk scent and buy it then the more common it will be in stores.

Re: Skunk Scent.... [Re: deerslayer78] #1227358 02/08/10 12:50 PM
S
spudmonkey Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Ok, so what are the advantages to smelling like a skunk?

Re: Skunk Scent.... [Re: deerslayer78] #1227363 02/08/10 12:55 PM
D
deerslayer78 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
D
If you don't have a clue of why to use skunk scent over other cover scents, well here ya go; the deer don't spook or think it unusual in any way that the smell of a skunk is present, the deer will dang near walk right up to your stand and never even smell you, a skunk is not a threat to a deer so they are comfortable with the scent, you only need 1 bottle for a long time as in you only need to dab a little on your stand and a drop on the toe and upper heel of your hunting boots/shoes each time before you go out to your stand and if you drive your vehicle to your stand you may wanna wait til you get out to put it on, lol. I personally have seen the advantages to using skunk scent and I can assure you that if you can handle the smell then you will be thanking me for telling you to check it out. Just for 1 season and then try your normal routine, but I bet you'll be stocking up on skunk scent, lol. I used it the first season I hunted and stopped using it because I thought it was the Fresh Earth scent spray that I was spraying my clothes with that was hiding human scent. Wrong.... It was the skunk scent and I will be using it from now on no matter when or where I hunt. Good luck....

Re: Skunk Scent.... [Re: deerslayer78] #1227371 02/08/10 01:06 PM
D
deerslayer78 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
D
As I remember I used a pair of latex gloves and a cotton ball and dabbed a little around my stand about a week before season then a drop at the outside corner of each window. Once the season started I put a drop on the toe and upper heel of my shoes or boots and that was it. If the scent begins to fade on your stand then put on a little more. It won't bother the deer. Like I said, I say this from experience, just so happened that I had some deep thought to cover/deer scents and remebered back to my first year of exactly what I had done different and why I filled my tags that year almost within the first 2 weeks and also why the deer that year had come so close to my stand? Well you would think that the smell would be enough to keep it fresh in your memory, but I've slept since then and it was quite a while back, lol.

Re: Skunk Scent.... [Re: deerslayer78] #1227445 02/08/10 02:17 PM
D
dawgkllr Online Happy
Tracker
Online Happy
Tracker
D
I have looked all over for skunk scent. From Cabellas to Basspro to Gander Mountian and even the GM in Pennsylvania. No one had it on their shelves. I am going to order some online. Deerslayer, I totally agree with you! It was by far the best cover scent I ever used a few years ago until I got caught up in all of the "scent free" clothing craze which in my opinion is a farse.
I would give anything for the "recipe" used to make the 2 part Tex Isbell scent. That stuff was by far the best and was easy to control scent placement without getting it all over me LOL!

That old crackheaded commie (Bernie Sanders) has lost his damn mind.. in 1983
Re: Skunk Scent.... [Re: dawgkllr] #1227464 02/08/10 02:32 PM
D
deerfeeder Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
D
A couple of drops on a cotton ball in a waste basket, under some paper will clean out an office/small building for awhile. grin

Re: Skunk Scent.... [Re: deerfeeder] #1227489 02/08/10 02:48 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
My uncle used to buy this kind where it came in two bottles. Neither one smelled like much of anything but as soon as a drop of each touched one another..................Lord Almighty! Your friking eyes would water from that stuff!

I've tried the coon urine around my bow stand but the deer seem to know somethings up! You wouldn't think this would be a problem since I get pictures at each feeder every night of anywhere from 3 to 10 coons pigging out. Maybe the bottle stuff is not the same as the real deal, IDK???

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Skunk Scent.... [Re: dawgkllr] #1229603 02/09/10 10:18 AM
D
deerslayer78 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: dawgkllr
I have looked all over for skunk scent. From Cabellas to Basspro to Gander Mountian and even the GM in Pennsylvania. No one had it on their shelves. I am going to order some online. Deerslayer, I totally agree with you! It was by far the best cover scent I ever used a few years ago until I got caught up in all of the "scent free" clothing craze which in my opinion is a farse.
I would give anything for the "recipe" used to make the 2 part Tex Isbell scent. That stuff was by far the best and was easy to control scent placement without getting it all over me LOL!

Well you are exactly right man. The "Scent Blocker" type clothing is a waste of money. It is such a gimmick to us hunters, but some swear by it. I know for a fact that Skunk Scent works and even calledgandermountain in Beaumont,Texas and they have it there as well as Cabelas. You can find it online as well. Fox and Coon scent will not work as deer are spooked so to speak by these scents and not willing to come around when the scent is present as they do with Skunk Scent. I have used all of the scents I just mentioned and the only sure fire scent blocker/cover scent is Skunk Scent. I plan to pick up a few bottles and dawgkllr if you pm me your address I will mail you a bottle around February 29th after I get back from my lease. If you can't find it I don't mind helping out a fellow hunter. My goal is to try to get as many people to use Skunk Scent as possible so that they too will be able to hunt w/out being busted. The only other thing I will use is Wildlife Research Fresh Earth Scent spray for my clothes and the only reason why I use it is because it makes my clothes smell like dirt which to me is good enough. I have even taken pine limbs and rubbed them all over my clothes to use the pine smell as a clothing cover scent, but the Fresh Earth works well.

Re: Skunk Scent.... [Re: deerslayer78] #1231355 02/10/10 02:00 AM
J
jjandcompany Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
What works for covering up the skunk.

Re: Skunk Scent.... [Re: jjandcompany] #1231381 02/10/10 02:09 AM
D
deerslayer78 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
D
lol, Washes off with plenty of soap, water and elbow grease, that's why you use latex gloves when handling it. As far as cover scent for a skunk I think you are stuck like chuck, lol.

Re: Skunk Scent.... [Re: deerslayer78] #1235748 02/11/10 06:51 PM
S
Stump_jumper Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
S
I used to use it and once had a fox come up and scratch on the tree I had my back against. The tree was not a monster either. The fox was probably about 12" away at most.

2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4
2006 Champion 2200 Bay Boat
Re: Skunk Scent.... [Re: Stump_jumper] #1236320 02/11/10 09:58 PM
M
McWilliams Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
I always find it at academy here in Ft.Worth. Either the one on cherry ln. or the one on bryant irvin rd.. almost always find one or two there, but watch now that I say that they will stop carrying them and I wont be able to find them anymore either. bang

Re: Skunk Scent.... [Re: McWilliams] #1237017 02/12/10 02:07 AM
D
deerslayer78 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: McWilliams
I always find it at academy here in Ft.Worth. Either the one on cherry ln. or the one on bryant irvin rd.. almost always find one or two there, but watch now that I say that they will stop carrying them and I wont be able to find them anymore either. bang

Ain't that the luck? Lol!!! Well I know Cabelas has it on their website and any Gander Mountain should stock it as well. They went from having a 4' section of scents to about a 25' section and I imagine it will get bigger as the years go by. I was talking to my kinfolk and told him what I had sat and contemplated about the first season and he agreed with me 100%.He said man Frank, you did really well that first year and you have always shot deer except for this season that just passed and I'm sure that the Skunk Scent will pay off along with all of my other efforts. I am really excited and hope to draw in a nice buck, if not there will always be another season to get one.

Re: Skunk Scent.... [Re: deerslayer78] #1239484 02/13/10 03:16 AM
B
Bowslinger Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
My father swears by it! I have been wanting to try it and believe I will this season. He tells me stories of it being night and day with it out.

Mathews Z7
QAD Ultra Pro rest
Viper quickset 2500c Sight
100gr Slick Trick
Re: Skunk Scent.... [Re: Bowslinger] #1239982 02/13/10 01:32 PM
D
deerslayer78 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
D
Your father is a wise man corymac... Trust in him and try it out and you too will never hunt w/out it again. I did and w/out realizing that I had hurt my previous seasons by not using it after my 1st season, well let's just say I lived and learned a valuable lesson, lol. I assure you I am well stocked with Skunk scent now, lol, just ordered 3 bottles yesterday from Gander Mountain along with some other things. Good Luck.

Re: Skunk Scent.... [Re: deerslayer78] #1240354 02/13/10 05:06 PM
T
TxCase73 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I use the racoon scent. A couple of years ago while hunting deep in the East Texas woods I had a Raccoon try to get in the tree with me. I heard a little noice below the tree, looked down and he was standing on his hind legs looking up the ladder at me. It scared the heck out of me at first because it din't register to me what it was, mostly because I wasn't expecting to see a raccoon. I kicked the ladder and he was gone in a flash.
I'm thinking he probably followed the scent on my boots straight to the tree.

I have been using it for years on top of my regular scent eliminator and it works well.

Re: Skunk Scent.... [Re: TxCase73] #1240371 02/13/10 05:13 PM
T
TreeBass Offline
Old Weller
Old Weller
T
Used to use skunk scent, but it kept giving me a headache. Now when I do use scent, its fox urine. and like others stated, a little on a cotton ball in a 35mm film case will last a long time

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others...

Like the THF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texashuntingforum
Grizzly Coolers
Re: Skunk Scent.... [Re: TreeBass] #1241795 02/14/10 10:00 AM
D
deerslayer78 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
D
Well the best way to put the skunk scent out is to dab or drip some around and on your stand, preferably before hunting season, say around May or June and do that once a month after that. Then at the time for deer season the deer will have already been coming around. If you use too much then Yes, it can give you a headache, but try to put it on like I stated and you shouldn't have any problems. I would bet that deer around your favorite hunting spot would increase in numbers just because of the Skunk Scent. If you doubt me then try it and see. I'm telling you the stuff is like gold and it works great. I will put it out on the 27th-28th and then set out my game camera to catch the deer that come by. I have my lanes cleared already and ground raked up to soil so I will be able to see about how many deer have come around prior to me getting there. I do know that there is a decent sized (heavy bodied) buck that frequents the creek about 200' from my stand and he came around 2 mornings in a row the last time I was up cutting lanes. So I'm betting that after I put out the Skunk Scent he will come in closer to the feeders and stand if he hasn't already, but he was traveling along the creek both days and my stand is up a slight hill from the creek. Well, we shall see..... To Be Continued.......

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide