Page 1 of 2 1 2
What is deer hunting??? #1124165 12/23/09 04:15 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I've been reading alot of posts lately about "east texas being real deer hunting" i guess cause theres less deer and therfore "harder" in theory, somehow more sporting than us in south texas,"where we see 20-30 deer a day"

Same thing goes for high fence hunting, wether or not the place is 100 acres or 10,000 acres, that because of the height of the fence the hunting is automatically "easier" and therefore, not real hunting.

I'm willing to be alot of the same folks who snub there nose at hunting in a high fence (for majority of people it has nothing to do with ethics if you get what I mean) sit and watch a feeder spit corn day after day waiting for a deer.

What is real hunting then??? Is shooting one over a feeder on a low fence ranch "real hunting", but rattling one up on a high fence place isn't?

I've been on more ranches than most folks on here due to my profession and Im going to tell you, I've seen low fence places that looked like the plains in africa, exotic game everywhere, and killing something is no problem...i've been to high fence places in south texas and not seen a deer one driving around.

Where do these people come up with the definitions of "Real Hunting"?

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: What is deer hunting??? [Re: txtrophy85] #1124176 12/23/09 04:21 PM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
It is geting in the woods, whether high, low fence, wooded, mesquite, cedar, flats, senderos. It is an out of body expierence here on earth. Another words it doesn't matter how you do it, just do it, so long as it is legal and it is what you like and appreciate.

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: What is deer hunting??? [Re: txtrophy85] #1124186 12/23/09 04:25 PM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
Real hunting is whatever each of us thinks it is. Yeh, I hunt in East Texas. It's a lot harder to see a deer there than in South Texas but I hunt with a rifle, in a box blind, watching a feeder....a lot of folks wouldn't call that "hunting". I still do and I love it.

Re: What is deer hunting??? [Re: 7mag] #1124189 12/23/09 04:26 PM
N
netman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
N
Everyone has their own opinions.?

Re: What is deer hunting??? [Re: Curly] #1124195 12/23/09 04:28 PM
J
jbhlsu Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
J
Getting away with good friends and knocking back some hooch!!! Who cares if its high fence or low fence Etx or Stx!! cheers

Last edited by jbhlsu2001; 12/23/09 04:28 PM.
Re: What is deer hunting??? [Re: txtrophy85] #1124203 12/23/09 04:30 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Here's how Webster defines the word "hunt"

Hunt: Pursue for food or sport. Try to find.

Based on these definitons, I would say "real hunting" is putting forth the effort to "pursue" or "try to find" wild game animals. IMO, opinions often differ when it comes to using food sources to attract the animal that supposedly is being hunted. When all you do is climb into a stand and wait for the animal to show up and eat what you have created for them, have you really done very much to try and find the animal? Or, have you just created a situation where the animal must come and find you.

IMO, many of the scenes that you see in those television shows have absolutely nothing to do with "trying to find" deer. When you climb stairs into a heated box stand with many comforts and just wait for a deer to show up and eat, you've done nothing more than to "shoot" a deer. But in our fast-paced world of ease and convenience, should we expect it to be anything more?

I also feel that hunting can occur on high-fence ranches or anywhere where someone puts forth the effort to "try to find" deer. But again, that depends on what "try to find" means to you.

If someone uses the words "real hunting", I simply take that as saying they prefer a much greater challenge in creating a harvest. As a well-known sportsman once said, "I don't hunt to kill, but kill to have hunted."

JMHO, but I also feel that making use of one's knowledge of deer behavior and other factors (knowledge of terrain, cover, wind and weather) to create a strategy or plan is also a characteristic of "real hunting".

I know my comments will offend some, but just keep in mind that I enjoy hunting food plots and corning roads as much as anyone. Still, it doesn't cause me to overlook the fact that it makes it much easier for me to shoot a deer.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: What is deer hunting??? [Re: Texas Dan] #1124210 12/23/09 04:31 PM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
It was a matter of time this went south, oh well

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: What is deer hunting??? [Re: 7mag] #1124228 12/23/09 04:38 PM
B
BowHuntinTX Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
I really consider hunting to be just getting out there whether it is in a box blind, spot and stalking, or tree stand on travel path, high fence or low fence... Hunting is hunting. None right, none wrong.

[Linked Image]

Re: What is deer hunting??? [Re: BowHuntinTX] #1124271 12/23/09 04:57 PM
T
Tye Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I agree with the posts. Seems that most of the "types" of hunting these days revolve around the animals coming to us. Calling turkey and elk during the mating season, hunting ducks over a tank or lake with decoys, hunting doves over a water source or sunflower field, hunting deer over a feeder,food plot or trail. Maybe we are becoming lazy? For me, I still enjoy the "hunt" even though I'm waiting on them. Watching the sun rise and set, watching the chi-chi birds fly around the trees, watching squirrels bury acorns and steal your corn is what I enjoy the most. The harvest is just icing on the cake.

Originally Posted By: AmoCuernos
If you shoot a young deer because a neighbor will shoot it, you are that neighbor.
Re: What is deer hunting??? [Re: BowHuntinTX] #1124275 12/23/09 05:01 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
If you're not running barefoot through the prickly pears with a rock in your hand, you ain't hunting!

There, that ought to get all you zoo shooters stirred up! banana

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: What is deer hunting??? [Re: Tye] #1124283 12/23/09 05:04 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Yes, no question that many will take offense at someone even bringing up the question. But then, many of these are too ignorant to realize that hunting isn't a right but a privilege that can be taken away. For that reason, I feel strongly that it's one we should always ask ourselves.

Less than 10% of the population consider themselves as "hunters". And while surveys have shown that most adults view hunting as a favorable practice, studies have also shown that most kids do not. And that last point is the one that frightens me the most. Once these kids become adults and recognize what we have done with our sport, will they decide it's time that we "leave the animals alone and buy your meat at the store."

Re: What is deer hunting??? [Re: Texas Dan] #1124298 12/23/09 05:16 PM
T
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
OK, my serious answer to "What is deer hunting?" is to pursue the quarry using 100% legal means while adamantly sticking to whatever your personal set of ethics may be. This should also be accompanied by a certain amount of enjoyment in the pursuit and in the kill. If you really aren't enjoying it, you probably shouldn't be hunting.

keep me hanging on.
Re: What is deer hunting??? [Re: Texan Til I Die] #1124349 12/23/09 05:42 PM
J
JJH Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: Texan Til I Die
If you're not running barefoot through the prickly pears with a rock in your hand, you ain't hunting!

In a loin cloth, of course! grin

Re: What is deer hunting??? [Re: Texan Til I Die] #1124386 12/23/09 05:57 PM
S
Scoop Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Sad to see, but more and more hunting is "the way I do it", and not the way others do. Elitism, snobbery and jealousy all come into play. Any HF post, and a lot of bow hunting posts usually digress into the "I am really hunting, you are not" debate. Yeah, and my dad can beat up your dad...

If its legal, ethical, and you are having fun in the outdoors, who cares if the other guy does it just like you. We do a real good job of dividing up the sport into different camps which does not help our cause.

Re: What is deer hunting??? [Re: Texan Til I Die] #1124396 12/23/09 06:00 PM
C
COWDOG Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
When My northern relatives ask me this...shooting under feeders... I ask them "How do you fish?"...do you use bait?
Why dont you use a spear?

Get kids involved EARLY...before their priorities change as a teenagers. I started young and gave up a lot what other kids my age couldnt live with out.

Family...Hunting ...Work

"If I die in Dallas, drag my cold, dead body back to Fort Worth"
Re: What is deer hunting??? [Re: COWDOG] #1124405 12/23/09 06:02 PM
R
Rowney Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
R
as long as its legal, i support anyone who gets out into the woods. especially if they take their kiddo's, or even better kids who dont have a parent to take them.

As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind...Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks--Thomas Jefferson
Re: What is deer hunting??? [Re: Rowney] #1124607 12/23/09 07:30 PM
257roberts Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
I HAVE BEEN HUNTING A LONG TIME.YOU READ ON HERE THE POST BASHING HUNTING OUT OF BLINDS AN OVER FEEDERS.HAS ANY ONE STOPPED TO THINK OF THE DISABLED PEOPLE WHO HUNT.THE ONES WITH LIMITED MOBILITY WHO CAN,T SPOT AN STALK OR THE OLDER HUNTERS WHO DON,T GET AROUND AS GOOD AS THEY USE TO.NO MATTER HOW WE HUNT IT,S OUR CHOICE.LIKE COWDOG SAID DO YOU FISH WITHOUT BAIT.JUST MY 2CENTS

Re: What is deer hunting??? [Re: 257roberts] #1124646 12/23/09 08:01 PM
S
SATX Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
For most of us a lot goes into it before we ever step foot on the lease.

Selecting the correct firearm and becoming proficient with it at the gun range so that you can take that animal as quickly and ethically as possible. Whether it's factory loads or hand loads, you have to put in time behind the trigger.

Repairing/replacing equipment you use to hunt with, whether it's your chainsaw or your tricked out 4x4 Mule.

Locating feed and getting it out there.

Then comes the outdoor stuff.

Repairing/replacing blinds, tripods, feeders, fences, cameras.
Pruning and trimming access roads, shooting lanes, around blinds.
Chipping in at the lease and maintaining the facilites and hauling trash out.
Scouting out trails, bedding areas, scrapes and rubs.

That's all the stuff that gets me into the mood for sitting in a frozen blind, waiting for that one buck I've beeing watching since the year before. I hunt low fence over a feeder and when that doesn't pan out I'll spot and stalk for a while before wrapping it up. I don't see one as better than the other.

I absolutely acknowledge that different styles require different skills. I just don't think that people who hunt out of blinds over feeders should be characterized as hunters who don't spend the same amount of time & effort preparing for taking the field.

Re: What is deer hunting??? [Re: SATX] #1124670 12/23/09 08:14 PM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Ditto!

Re: What is deer hunting??? [Re: JJH] #1124709 12/23/09 08:36 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: JJH

and 2 ft of snow... wait better make that 6 inches got to make it more sporting up

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: What is deer hunting??? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #1124715 12/23/09 08:41 PM
T
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

and 2 ft of snow... wait better make that 6 inches got to make it more sporting up
Heck, let's just hunt nekkid!!! nuts

keep me hanging on.
Re: What is deer hunting??? [Re: Texan Til I Die] #1124865 12/23/09 09:53 PM
S
SATX Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Heck, let's just hunt nekkid!!! nuts

No offense, but I've seen some of y'all. I'll leave my binos and scope at home.... eek2

Re: What is deer hunting??? [Re: SATX] #1125157 12/23/09 11:55 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
Woo, not naked...

ANyway... I thinking hunting is what you do that you love.... I like to try every way known, legal that is...this year I have bow hunted from a stand, from a brush blind, and from a pop-up... I have rifle hunted from various stands, with and without feeders, spot and stalk, rattled, hunted natural blinds and pinch points, and glassed from hills, canyon points, trees and vehicles....all while using a long range rifle, a short range rifle, a handgun and even one evening with a cross bow...

Someday I want to try dogs and deer drives where legal... it's all good.

Re: What is deer hunting??? [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #1125192 12/24/09 12:07 AM
C
cb66 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Well said, Vernon. If it's outdoors, legal and you get to commune with God and family/friends, well then, it doesn't get much better!

CB

Re: What is deer hunting??? [Re: cb66] #1125354 12/24/09 01:16 AM
A
agsellers04 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
Everybody has their definition. As long as we're all having fun within the law, hunting is whatever you want it to be.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide