Forum Stats
54453 Members
41 Forums
403169 Topics
5195844 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1095855 - 12/10/09 10:30 AM How to trap a Bobcat?
COWDOG Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Fort Worth - Runnels - Llano
I have a NICE sized bobcat that roams around my stand. I have seen him over a 4 year period...and I see him once ever other week but cant get a clear shot.

What is the best way to trap a bobcat?

I have a live trap... and this past weekend set it up.

I used "cat food" but the bait I belive was eaten up by rodents or birds.

Any bait bobcats cant resist?
Any Trapping techniques I should do?

Would love to get this CAT!

Thanks

#1095900 - 12/10/09 10:50 AM Re: How to trap a Bobcat? [Re: COWDOG]
kyotee1 Offline
Extreme Tracker

A lightly buried #3 Coilspring or Double longspring foot-hold trap will catch it. If you have good cover, do not stake it solid, but use a double prong drag with at least 6-8' of chain.

If using a live trap (box trap type) you'll need one at least 3' in length, 12" wide, and at least 24" high. Use a piece of freshly killed pigeon, chicken or rabbit as bait. Secure it well.

#1095904 - 12/10/09 10:51 AM Re: How to trap a Bobcat? [Re: COWDOG]
CCBIRDDOGMAN Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: CEDAR CREEK LAKE
I have had a live trap for many years & have put it on many pieces of property but never caught a bobcat. Racoons, possums, skunks, coyotes & house cats but never a bobcat, even if it is on a trail that I know a bobcat uses.

#1096003 - 12/10/09 11:43 AM Re: How to trap a Bobcat? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN]
Sniper John Online   content

gumshoe
THF Celebrity

Loc: North Texas
Bobcats would be very difficult to trap in a live trap. I have trapped them with steel traps. Lots of good stuff can be googled up about sets done specifically for bobcats. A couple of tips I know of that worked for me is using a couple feathers, bit of fur, foil, etc. suspended from fishing line in the area of your set. in a way that it will flutter in the wind. It will give it a visual attractant from a distance. It can also be incorporated into the set to draw the animal onto the trap placement.

Also, note cats tend to have a route they like to follow. If you have tracks down one particular ranch road, pay attention, you will likely notice new tracks following the same route every day to few days. It is why you have seen the same cat at the same spot from year to year. Your best place for the set is very near or on that cat's hunting route.

And if using steel traps, set your pan firm. Cats, especially when investigating something will step very lightly and test the footing at first. With a light pan, you are less likely to get solid foot catches. If your catching them by the toe for example, you need to set the pans tighter. Cats respond well to step sticks and such to guide the foot placements too.

The problem with sets that use sardines and other smell based baits is that it is hard to not catch coons, possums, and other off target animals. I can do my best to describe my best bobcat set if decide to go the steel trap route.

This cat was one I would see bowhunting and in fact released an arrow in it once and missed it. I eventually went back and trapped it. It weighed 38 pounds. It is on my gun safe behind me right now. Mounted of course. I hope you get to catch yours. It is a lot of fun when you first walk up on the trapped cat and you see them transition from the flight to fight mode just before you send them to their maker.

This picture of course was a very long time ago.

#1096019 - 12/10/09 11:48 AM Re: How to trap a Bobcat? [Re: Sniper John]
Sniper John Online   content

gumshoe
THF Celebrity

Any of you guys that have deer hunted much in bobcat country has seen this before. Note the deer carcass in the picture has been covered with grass and leaves. Cats do this when they have intentions of coming back. If you see this with one of your deer carcasses left behind on your place or near your stand, that is where you need to set your trap right away. Your cat will probably be back in the next 24 hours if not several times.

The Cat still returning days later.

If you see one of your carcasses or gut piles covered like that, I think it would make for your best chance at catching them with the live trap. The cat's guard will be down at that location.

#1096226 - 12/10/09 01:25 PM Re: How to trap a Bobcat? [Re: Sniper John]
hornet527 Offline

Bird Dog

Loc: San Angelo
steel traps and cat pee are easist, larger livetraps are the best but if you have a regular sized one , tie a milk crate on the end of it, get a rooster(banny prefered) , cover it in brush where they cant get to the chicken except through the front.

#1096471 - 12/10/09 03:25 PM Re: How to trap a Bobcat? [Re: hornet527]
bwk1975 Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Taylor, Tx
Is shooting it out of the question? If your seeing it at your stand with regularity, just take a call to the stand with you. I've called in cats rather quick when sitting in a deer blind. I've found they tend to hang out near a feeder, in the hopes of getting a dove or quail. I would think woodpecker or rabbit in distress would do the trick....

#1096501 - 12/10/09 03:44 PM Re: How to trap a Bobcat? [Re: bwk1975]
uthornfan Offline
Tracker

Loc: Dallas County
Originally Posted By: bwk1975
Is shooting it out of the question? If your seeing it at your stand with regularity, just take a call to the stand with you. I've called in cats rather quick when sitting in a deer blind. I've found they tend to hang out near a feeder, in the hopes of getting a dove or quail. I would think woodpecker or rabbit in distress would do the trick....

Yep. Give one of the great predator call makers on this site a ring and have a go with the predator call and rifle.

#1098028 - 12/11/09 09:06 AM Re: How to trap a Bobcat? [Re: uthornfan]
COWDOG Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Fort Worth - Runnels - Llano
Thanks Gents!

Funny...I downloaded a predator call APP on my I phone. Im going to give it a whirl and see if I have any succes.

#1098149 - 12/11/09 10:01 AM Re: How to trap a Bobcat? [Re: COWDOG]
SandyHunter Offline
Bird Dog

wow thats an awesome pic.

#2028710 - 01/17/11 08:41 AM Re: How to trap a Bobcat? [Re: SandyHunter]
Killer King Offline
Light Foot

a live rooster in a separate pin and a good sized live trap will work.

#2029253 - 01/17/11 11:24 AM Re: How to trap a Bobcat? [Re: Killer King]
MaggieMTx Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Coleman County
I have a nice bobcat that frequents my bone pile (especially when fresh).

#2029673 - 01/17/11 01:19 PM Re: How to trap a Bobcat? [Re: SandyHunter]
bullzibrat Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Rhome/Boyd, tx
Not doubting Anyones suggestions, but if you set a trap right next to the carcass or gut pile, my experience is to have a half dozen traps full of possums and skunks. You will do better 15-20 yards from the pile using Cat piss. (hope that wasn't a bad word) wink

817-296-7450
Honest and dependable

#2029986 - 01/17/11 02:54 PM Re: How to trap a Bobcat? [Re: bullzibrat]
d.g.ruff Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Pottsboro Tx.
Duck feathers/parts work real well for me. My buddy caught a fox yesterday in his live trap with a wing. But bobcats like them just as well.

#4027956 - 02/05/13 10:43 PM Re: How to trap a Bobcat? [Re: d.g.ruff]
Johnny B Offline
Light Foot

Loc: Kansas
I have caught many bobcats in live traps. Cat urine works great. I have a friend that duck hunted and saved the carcasses after cleaning for me. They worked great as well.
Pile sticks, cedar branches or other brush over your trap to make a cubby. My favorite trap size was 42x9x18.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2014 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide