Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Coyote poison? [Re: J.G.] #2741699 11/11/11 03:29 AM
D
DavidG Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
D
Hi Guys. I'm new here. We have a BIG coyote problem here in Indiana. We're in deep ravined forest lands, with flat farm fields on high ground. Lots of feed for coyotes. Here , if you search the ravines you can usually find their den dug in under some tree roots. I have some extensive expierence from the wine industry in that CO2 from fermenting wine can kill a person in about 6 breaths. by the time you realize that your dizzy, it's too late to do anything but fall thur the door.
My, as yet untried solution, is to carry a small bottle of CO2 from a welding supply store to the den, run a hose in, and shovel dirt over all openings. I would estimate that 60 secounds of CO2 from the high pressure bottle should flood any den area.

Re: Coyote poison? [Re: cbump] #2742513 11/11/11 02:56 PM
T
TX35 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: cbump
I am sure there is all kinds of chemicals that would work but I would be really careful. In fact I probably wouldn't do it. You can get in some serious trouble if you inadvertantly poison something else. Even buzzards dieing from eating poisoned coyotes.

If hunting isn't working maybe you could call a government trapper.

X2!!!!

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
Re: Coyote poison? [Re: TX35] #2742873 11/11/11 04:31 PM
S
StoegerM3500 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
if youre going for the do it yourself trapping and snaring you might want to look at the arcives on trapperman.com. Trapping can also be pretty addicting. I trap quite a bit myself.

Re: Coyote poison? [Re: StoegerM3500] #2743350 11/11/11 07:39 PM
U
UTMallard Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
U
Snares hanging from the bottom strand of a fence work great. Bait it and make sure that the fence is low enough that a deer wont go under it. Foot hold traps are great too. I've only used them once, but we killed a hog and wired the carcass to a tree as bait. Set out 5 traps around the carcass and had 2 coyotes in the traps the next morning and caught another one later that afternoon.

Re: Coyote poison? [Re: UTMallard] #2744049 11/12/11 12:11 AM
E
echoman8 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
E
Your solution should work great. When we trapped, we were provided smoke bombs.

But the only solution is persistent predator control. At the least, practice intensive methods from November thru April.

Contained below is info explaining why. I wrote this for a different forum and just copied it for you.

COYOTE FACTS

To every fact about a coyote, there is an exception. These facts are for the other 99%.

"DID YOU KNOW:

-Depending on the coyote density, a pair will set up a permanent territory of 10 square miles or more
-Coyotes only breed once each year
-Even the males are infertile most of the rest of the year
-Average litters during average years: West Texas is 4; Central Texas is 6. Almost all pups make it to 1 year
-Coyotes live in pairs (one male and one female) rather than packs. They do not look for a leader as do dogs and wolves
-Females will have large litters during good conditions, small litters in poor conditions, and will reabsorb fetus when conditions are very bad.
-Although the coyote will mate (rarely) with dogs and wolves, the genetics are so strong, within a few generations the coyote traits dominate.
-A pair of coyotes (a small percentage) can learn to hunt together so well, that they can bring down grown deer and small to medium size cattle.
-The main threat to cattle is seizing the newborn calf. When this happens, there is seldom any evidence left. In the panhandle, an intensive coyote control was conducted with ranchers reporting a 15% increase in the calf crop in the months following.
-When the population of coyotes is high and the deer herd is low, the coyotes will kill all or almost all of the fawns. So, seeing how many fawns live for a few months is a good indicator of damage caused by coyotes.
-Coyotes are commonly mistaken for wolves. Remember a wolf is taller than a German shepherd and has a footprint the size of a ladies hand.
-With a winter coat, the coyote can look very large, but less than 1% in central and west Texas will weigh 40 lbs or more.
-When coyotes have been captured ---- tagged ------ and then recaptured (a year or more later), the average distance that the recaptured coyotes traveled from their initial capture point was 26 miles. This implies that a yearling coyote might and probably does travel an average of 26 miles to establish a new territory. Keeping this in mind then, if each year all coyotes were removed in a circle with a radius of 26 miles (52 miles in diameter), the following year new coyotes would reinhabit the unclaimed area. That area would be 2100 square miles..

COYOTE YEARLY CYCLE:
---------The dates below are target dates. 90% of the activity below happens within 2 weeks of the target dates.

-------- TARGET DATES ---------------

FEBRUARY 15; The pair breeds
APRIL 15; The pups are born. The mom has already dug a den in soft ground. The pups will stay underground for a few weeks. The adults restrict their movement until the following late fall.
JULY 15; The pups find their voice and get real noisy for a while. The parents will scold them and by August, most of the howling is stopped
AUGUST 15; The pups begin traveling and learning from the parents.
DECEMBER 15; The yearling female travels to find and set up a new territory of her own.
JANUARY 15; The yearling male finds the female.

And then the cycle repeats. Each year, the pair may have one or two yearling (holdover pups) stay with them.

During Nov 1 through March 1, there is tremendous movement of young coyotes searching for a territory of their own and also the older ones marking and protecting their territory.

If a "pack" is simply a group of coyotes, then there are sometimes a "pack" of coyotes, but, if the definition of "pack" is meant to be the same as a "pack of wolves", then the word is misused for coyotes. There is a very distinct difference in the biology of the coyote and the wolf.

A wolf pack has a dominant male (alpha) and female that the other pack members follow (somewhat similar to us). In the absence of other wolves, we become the alpha wolf to a pet wolf. Wolves are predictable in their travel habits and are easier to catch. A sidenote, the greatest living wolf trapper remaining in the world lives near Abilene.

Coyotes on the other hand look up to no one but have an intimate relationship with their mate. Those who have tried to tame a coyote find total failure at about 2 years. All trappers will tell you that catching the last few coyotes in an area is the most difficult trapping in the world. No exaggeration.

A while back, a local goat rancher said "we never had any problems with coyotes back in the 40's and 50's". It caught me off guard. I had to think and then realized there was one major event: THE ERADICATION OF THE SCREWWORM. For those who don't know, the screwworm is the larvae (maggot) of a fly. The screwworm fly lays eggs on a wound and the larvae eat away at the flesh. Practically any wild animal scratched from spring through fall (prior to 1960 in Texas) would die.

Also, during the 60's compound 1080 poison was used extensively and eradicated the coyote through much of Texas. Compound 1080 is very "canine specific" meaning that a tiny amount will kill a coyote, but a relatively large amount will not bother a buzzard or skunk and other animals which are not canine. In 1972, compound 1080 was banned (for baiting carcasses). This allowed the coyote to quickly repopulate.

Another event: The fur market changed (most furs are shipped to Europe). About 20 years ago, the fur growers in Europe had a law passed preventing furs from being imported where the leghold trap was still legal for use (this targeted the US). The drop in fur prices took away much of the incentive for coyote hunting".

I WANT TO LEASE THE HUNTING RIGHTS TO A RANCH/S TO IMPROVE THE DEER HERD AND SUBLET TO HUNTERS BEGINNING 1-1-2012. I HAVE REFERENCES. EMAIL FOR MORE INFO OR CALL:
432 558 2five79 or 916 9six0 3253

SCAMMERS AND SPAMMERS............DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME

AS I ADD NOTES, I WILL REPOST "

Re: Coyote poison? [Re: echoman8] #2744105 11/12/11 12:37 AM
R
Reality Outdoors Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Here is the real prob, pm me I may be able to help

Eddie
Reality Outdoors