Forums46
Topics536,999
Posts9,719,315
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 59 of 60 1 2 57 58 59 60
Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area *DELETED* [Re: WileyCoyote] #8660145 08/09/22 03:40 PM
ETexas Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by WileyCoyote
I know that J&J in Elkhart got a lot of positive comments on this thread, but the locals around Anderson County have been telling me all day that they've been closed for 2 years and are still trying to sell the business. The lady at the local day old bread store, who lives in Elkhart sez her husband found a guy this year that they loved the meat and sausage from....Manana I'll see If I can shake loose from the "honeydo's" and go see what I can find down there. It'd be hyper easier to come home thru Crockett & Elkhart...or just Elkhart alone to get to Hwy 19 into Palestine.

Went up the road this afternoon to see the folks at Herrington's in the Elmwood Community off Hwy 155 north of Palestine. They are a little pricy but solid processor's who have a very big regular customer base of locals who hunt out of state. They are about wrapped up for the year but still accepting orders, and will be my fallback processor, as they are only about 15/20 minutes from the house. They get the processing job for the Axis herd that are fed out in a pasture south of Oakwood on Hwy 79, across the turnoff from the RV Campground. The Range I shoot at is just across the RR tracks from the high fence pasture the Axis are usually in. The range belongs to the guy who owns Buffalo Spt Goods... a very old friend from my Gun Rep Days 40 years ago.

Talked to Frankie Svehlak about 10:30 this morning and he is closed for the rest of the year, until next year's deer season, as per usual. I really like that old gentleman and will have to figure out how to give him some business next year.

Talked to a lady at the place in "Fairfield" this morning too.. only it ain't in Fairfield ...they actually are in Streetman on FM 833...she priced me some decent prices by the pound for processing which averaged out to about $100-$125 per critter if I skin it and start the cutting off of this and that on a carcass. This last year Santa gave me a battery powered mini sized circle saw that I plan on "grooming" all my carcass's with before I get to a processor to lighten the per Lb Gross weight charges. The little saw just eats thru hot dog & bigger sized tree limbs in seconds with no splinters & oughta be equally fast on pelvic, spine & leg bones and be super fast at unbuttoning the chest plate, leg & hip bony sockets.
Ron

Not sure about J&J, but there was a C&C in Elkhart that did close up a few years ago. They were great, I had been taking deer to them since the 90's, but they decided to close shop. Sportsman's memory shop in Grapeland does a good job (great Taxidermy as well), but is a few mile down the highway from where C&C was.
Herrington's does a fine job, Lucinda knows what she is doing for sure, that is where all our animals go. They can get pretty slammed since C&C shutdown..
Hope you like Palestine, I was born and raised there, my dad is still there.

Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area! [Re: jsoukup] #8662721 08/12/22 09:34 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I started using Kuby's back in the '70's when they were still on Gaston a few blocks west of of Baylor Hospital ...Kuby's has never done me wrong but these days I'm looking forward to see what the old gentleman a little east of I-45 coming out of Ennis can do. Spent one afternoon looking at his Whole Operation a week or so after he had closed for the season, when I stopped by with a end of season pile of frozen meat to get processed. I've also used Green's at Zabcikville a little east of Temple....but I like their sweet goods mo bettah.

But full service 12 months of the year, the big grocery store sized shop a little south of Brenham and east of Fayetteville at ? Industry is hands down the very best custom processed meat I've eaten anywhere. Full Service 12 months a year and cut to your exact instructions. I'm gonna have to buy a freezer of my own to leave at my Sister in Law's house if I can get back on track with the TPW Lottery again this year.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area! [Re: jsoukup] #8662724 08/12/22 09:39 PM
C
cos Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
C
Herrington Processing in Elmwood just a few miles north of Palestine. Seasonal though.

Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area! [Re: jsoukup] #8730363 11/09/22 06:17 PM
P
Panhandler Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
Full Draw Legends in Rising Star. I've been pleased with the meat I've gotten from them the past 2 years. They do good taxidermy work also.

Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area! [Re: tchunter] #8730567 11/09/22 10:42 PM
G
Gringo Bling Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted by tchunter
Has anyone ever used the processor in Archer City?

If you are referring to 4C, I have used them. I'd say they are nice people and had a pretty quick turnaround time. But, their sanitation practices were certainly lacking. I used them twice, the 2nd time was a December day in 2020 that got well over 60 degrees when I went to pick up a buck. There was a literal pile of field-dressed deer sitting outside on a little concrete pad that were waiting to get processed. The stench was horrible when I drove up and there were flies everywhere. There was a pile of dried blood underneath all those deer, too. No sign of bleach or high pressured hoses that I could see.

The guy that went to get my was smoking a cigarette while grabbing my meat from a cooler. That's just not acceptable. I didn't say anything because I was in a rush and knew I'd never return to them again.

Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area! [Re: psycho0819] #8732006 11/11/22 03:37 PM
G
Gringo Bling Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted by psycho0819
Originally Posted by tightlines24
Me! If I'm going to eat the meat I kill I am definitely going to be the one that puts it up. Yes, it takes some time and effort but I know how the meat has been treated from kill to table. I doubt any processer will take near the time I take in trimming the fat and grizzle and making sure the meat is clean (no hairs etc.). All of that works against the quality of the meat you eat.

I'll disagree with you, there is ONE processor I've found that will take this level of care with your deer. Svelak's in Ennis, Tx. He's an older fella that runs a small family shop, and does it right from the minute your deer arrives. He cuts up a deer, cleans, then starts another. I would eat off of any surface in his shop. When you cut open a package of meat it is ready to prepare. He sections out and steaks each segment (every morsel is cut across the grain) and there is no muscle, grizzle, or anything but meat in the package. He makes awesome sausage, my family loves his breakfast style. I'm not a kielbasa lover, but people rave about his.When he gets enough deer he stops taking any more until he has a chance to catch up. I can drop a deer off on my way home on a Sunday, and will get a call that it's ready by Wed.that same week. He costs a bit more than some, but does a far better job than any other I've used in the past (from San Angelo to far east Tx, and many in between). When you drop a deer off, he checks it in, he cuts it up, you pay him when you pick it up, and he pulls your meat out of the freezer. I've literally never witnessed anyone else touch my deer at his shop.

I often like to do my own processing, but I think I'm going to drop a mule deer off with a processor this time. I had to do a bit of searching, but was able to find a number for Frankie Svehlak near Ennis (972) 742-2841. Left a VM with him. Can anyone confirm that he is still processing wild game for this season?

Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area *DELETED* [Re: jsoukup] #8746766 12/01/22 03:47 AM
B
brian43 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Who's ever been to B&W Meat Co on Shepherd in Houston? How was it? Turnaround time?

Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area *DELETED* [Re: brian43] #8751560 12/06/22 09:09 PM
B
brian43 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I got my meat back from B&W Meat Co. I'm impressed. The Sausage is made so good you can't tell if it's Deer or not. Well blended. Just like a Pork/Beef Garlic from Chappel Hill, Bellville, Schulenberg etc...............

Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area *DELETED* [Re: jsoukup] #8799234 02/10/23 05:41 PM
C
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Any updated Austin area processers?
I have used Johnny G's in south Austin and most of the time liked the sausage.. last batch like 2 years ago wasn't that great so I was looking around and came across Republc Butcher in Round Rock, took 5 months for one doe that was deboned. It was probably the best ever. I checked Facebook the other day as I had tried calling numerous times to no avail. Had a few reviews where people said they never got there deer back, unresponsive owners. I contacted one of the guy and he said he never got it back and knew of others that had the same experience.

Hudson's does batch processing, NOPE.

Tried Kleins in Round Rock, they were OK, super find grind which I don't really like.

I like a good, course grind, smoked jalepeno/cheese mix

Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area *DELETED* [Re: jsoukup] #8826651 03/31/23 06:38 PM
C
Crawdad Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
blue bonnet in trenton used to be good but they stopped wild game processing

Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area *DELETED* [Re: jsoukup] #8902839 08/17/23 06:32 PM
45NUTT Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
ANYONE HAVE A RECOMENDATION IN WICHITA FALLS?

Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area *DELETED* [Re: 45NUTT] #8902859 08/17/23 06:59 PM
J
JTS Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 45NUTT

Not in Wichita Falls proper, but I have had good luck with Whittakers near iowa park but I take most of my meat to Bayco in Seymour.

Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area! [Re: jsoukup] #8907739 08/25/23 03:26 PM
Matt_C Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
Potter Taxidermy and Wild Game Processing in Cross Plains, Tx

Potter Taxi and Game Processing

“Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”
Dr. Martin Luther King
Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area! [Re: jsoukup] #8930912 10/07/23 08:17 AM
J
jschille Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
Any recommendations for around Cooper/Delta County?

Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area! [Re: jsoukup] #8947611 11/01/23 02:50 PM
R
RussellWayne Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
C&C in elkhart IS closed. Anyone know of any others close to elkhart? Havnt hunted there in years and returning to hunt family land and there arent any proccessors near.

You have to remember, they might not be drinking as much as we are.
Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area! [Re: jsoukup] #8947723 11/01/23 06:05 PM
A
apex32 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
A
Any recommendations in Bowie county? Specifically DeKalb/Avery/New Boston area

Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area! [Re: 45NUTT] #8947731 11/01/23 06:17 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

Whitakers, Iowa Park. I hunt the panhandle and on my way back to DFW I drop off there. Right off 287, Harmony Road Exit. It is on my way, but I'd go out of my way to use them. Clean, quick, reasonable and have a fantastic breakfast sausage recipe.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area! [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8947735 11/01/23 06:26 PM
S
Sauerkraut Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
S
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson

Whitakers, Iowa Park. I hunt the panhandle and on my way back to DFW I drop off there. Right off 287, Harmony Road Exit. It is on my way, but I'd go out of my way to use them. Clean, quick, reasonable and have a fantastic breakfast sausage recipe.

I took a mule deer there last year on my way back from the panhandle. I usually process my own, but because of timing I had to drop it off. I had some sticker shock just because processing prices in general have gone way up over the last few years, but I was very happy with everything. Great services, great packaging, and everything was clean. Definitely recommend.

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom." - Ecclesiastes 9:10
Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area! [Re: Sauerkraut] #8947742 11/01/23 06:38 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Sauerkraut

I took a mule deer there last year on my way back from the panhandle. I usually process my own, but because of timing I had to drop it off. I had some sticker shock just because processing prices in general have gone way up over the last few years, but I was very happy with everything. Great services, great packaging, and everything was clean. Definitely recommend.

The owner asked me later in the year (when I picked up my Euro mount) how I liked the flat, vacum pack on everything. I told him it was fine with me, stacked and stored nicely in my freezer. They've done several for me. Have you got any of their smoked sausage? Thinking about it.

Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area! [Re: jsoukup] #8947751 11/01/23 06:56 PM
B
bronco71 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
Anybody use Wallace Processing south of Sulphur Springs?

Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area! [Re: jsoukup] #8947760 11/01/23 07:13 PM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
Start doing your own, it's not that hard. Initial investment is minimal and before you know it you'll be making sausage and lots of other good stuff. Haven't paid a processor in almost 50 years.
I consider it part of the hunt.

Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area! [Re: angus1956] #8947785 11/01/23 07:57 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by angus1956
Start doing your own, it's not that hard. Initial investment is minimal and before you know it you'll be making sausage and lots of other good stuff. Haven't paid a processor in almost 50 years.

How many hours, start to finish, to process one complete deer? I'm talking about blending sausage, tenderizing back strap, grinding, packaging, etc.

Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area! [Re: jsoukup] #8947881 11/01/23 10:25 PM
A
Andrewhunter08 Online Happy
Bird Dog
Online Happy
Bird Dog
A
I do my own too. My wife asked me to do a few with a processor since the one we did on Monday took some time. I'll still do a few at home and will take a few to others. I don't like taking it to people for a variety of reasons.

Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area! [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8947977 11/02/23 01:10 AM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
Originally Posted by angus1956

How many hours, start to finish, to process one complete deer? I'm talking about blending sausage, tenderizing back strap, grinding, packaging, etc.

Approx 2 hours to break it down cut steaks, roasts and grind meat. The next day set up grinder and make hamburger 70/30 mix with pork shoulder. Make breakfast sausage 50/50 mix with pork shoulder and high mountain original breakfast sausage seasoning. If I'm making snack sticks that is from hamburger meat at a later date. While I'm deboning and cutting my wife is running the vacuum packer and labeling with a sharpie.
Lots of youtube info on how to process one.

Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area! [Re: Andrewhunter08] #8947982 11/02/23 01:16 AM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
Originally Posted by Andrewhunter08
I do my own too. My wife asked me to do a few with a processor since the one we did on Monday took some time. I'll still do a few at home and will take a few to others. I don't like taking it to people for a variety of reasons.

One year a long time ago my hamburger from a processor had pine needles in it WTF? Where we hunted there wasn't a pine tree for miles. That was the last time I spent money with a processor. Doing my own, I'll eat the deer I killed.

Page 59 of 60 1 2 57 58 59 60
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide