Print Thread
Hunting Near El Paso #807825 07/21/09 07:41 AM
C
chouse Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Anybody know of anywhere to hunt javalina and varmints within an hour or two of El Paso? Not looking for a guide, just somewhere to hunt on the weekends.

Re: Hunting Near El Paso [Re: chouse] #807826 07/21/09 07:48 AM
Mr. Clean Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Check the Wilson bennet Ranch...we used to hunt there many years ago....don't know what it is like now though?

Re: Hunting Near El Paso [Re: Mr. Clean] #807827 07/21/09 08:33 AM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
For varmints check out the BLM land in New Mexico.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Hunting Near El Paso [Re: chouse] #807828 07/21/09 09:31 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Quote:

Anybody know of anywhere to hunt javalina and varmints within an hour or two of El Paso? Not looking for a guide, just somewhere to hunt on the weekends.

You could put in for the drawn Javelina hunt at Davis Mountains State Park? It had a decent success rate last year. Plus some other choices even closer.

https://www2.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/h...p&region=28

Do any bird hunting in SE New Mexico? Quail, Duck, Snipe? Can you tell me anything about Seven Rivers and Huey waterfowl areas, Brantley WMA. I should be down in the Big Bend area hunting quail and other small game during the first half of January and was just looking to see what NM opportunities there was running north of Pecos since I would pass through there. I would probably make a run down to Amistad for a day or two also which btw could be another Javelina hunting opportunity for you.

Re: Hunting Near El Paso [Re: Sniper John] #807829 07/21/09 08:21 PM
mulie_mike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I live in El Paso personally and there are alot of opportunities to hunt within a couple hours of here. Some great quail it looks like this year as well. I have a couple places to javelina hunt and mulie hunt as well. Send me a pm and well chat.

Specializing in Free Range hunts in far west Texas for Native & Exotic Game. Hunts for All budgets with Financing available.

www.westtexashunt.com

Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/WestTexasHuntOrganization/
Re: Hunting Near El Paso [Re: mulie_mike] #807830 07/22/09 12:45 AM
mulie_mike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
chouse I also forgot we might be doing a rabbit/varmint shoot about 30 minutes from EP within the next week. Your more than welcome to join us.

Specializing in Free Range hunts in far west Texas for Native & Exotic Game. Hunts for All budgets with Financing available.

www.westtexashunt.com

Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/WestTexasHuntOrganization/
Re: Hunting Near El Paso [Re: chouse] #807831 07/22/09 04:29 AM
M
MacD37 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
Quote:

The first thing you need to do is get an out of state New Mexico hunting license. West of El Paso is a lot of open deasert with a lot of Coyote hunting. East of El Paso is some of the best Dove, and Blue quail hunting in the state. The sand hills east of town to the foot of the Hueco mountains has several old ranch dirt water tanks, and from Horrizon city to the Carlsbad highway is owned by the railroads and is open to hunting. Stop at the foot of the mountians, because the land there is private. North of the 162 highway, is private as well, and the Hueco Tanks belongs to the Tigwa Indians. The New Mexico state line is only five miles north of the airport, and just accross the Rio Grande River on the West. The Franklen Mountain is surrounded by the city, and is a state park, so hunting on the mountain is not allowed. There are mule deer Coyotes Bob cats, and cougers on the mountain, and north up Highway 54 to Alamogordo, NM has governemnt reservations on both sides of the highway, and no hunting is allowed with out a provost martial's permit. Up the Sacromento mountains at Alamogordo, and down the West side road is good deer hunting, and most of it is either BLM, or forest land, and open to hunting. on the West of El Paso, you can go up to the GILA wilderness for some of the best elk,muledeer, and black bear hunting. Follow the mountain ranges stretching north and you will find lots of the 36,000,000 acres of public land open to hunting.
Once you learn the country you will find you are hunting in a paradise. East of El paso you will find no public land, and also find a rifle pointing at you if you cross a fence to take a crap. Everyone in El Paso hunts in New Mexico. Take a little trip up to Las Cruses to the game department, and get all the info you need about the state's hunting!

Enjoy the freedom NM gives you! I still have a sister, and a son. his wife and four grandkids in El Paso. I lived there from 1950 till 1982 when I transfered to the D/FW area, then retired and moved a little south of the metro plex. Good hunting!

.........MacD37 >>>===(x)===> DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I have been to see the elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa
Re: Hunting Near El Paso [Re: MacD37] #807832 07/22/09 05:14 AM
C
chouse Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
MacD 37 thanks for the info, Ive been stationed at Holloman AFB for two years now. Ive learned a lot of the ins and outs of the area. I do alot of predator and bird hunting on White Sands, and hunt big game in the Sacramentos. You just get tired of fightin for elbow room around here. The Gila is a beautiful place just a little to far to go on a weekend.

Sniper John, I dont know anything about those areas, i usually hunt quail, and dove on White Sands Missile Range and for ducks i always go to Roswell to Bottomless Lakes, or Bitter Lake.

Mulie Mike i will send you a pm.

Thanks Fellas

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide