Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: How well do silencers work [Re: Elliot] #3012074 02/14/12 02:05 AM
S
Smokinfeathers Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
my 308 with subsonic is quieter than my 22 can with subsonic because i get a pop through the chamber. the way the animal reacts to the sound of bullet hitting or richoteching(spell) differs every time in my experience. thats with both coyote and hogs.

Actually owning a can is gonna get to be a more popular thing just like in europe and uk where you are pretty much required to have a can on a rifle to help control noise polution. They took maxims design and made the muffler for automobiles from the suppressor which was before cars came out. they are a great device and let you shoot without protection or bothering your neighbors. mine loved when i got a couple of cans for my big boomers.

we should also be getting to hunt big game starting this fall if all goes like my friend that is a tpwd commisioner says it is going too!! better get in line now!!LOL

Last edited by Smokinfeathers; 02/14/12 02:07 AM.

Prevent wildfires support prescribe burning

Asa south region rep
Re: How well do silencers work [Re: Smokinfeathers] #3012143 02/14/12 02:23 AM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
I'll probably get bashed for this but seriously guys, look into the new air rifles. The 357 cal Benjamin Rogue sounds about like a 22lr & don't have to deal with all of the BS associated with a can. We're getting total pass through on big boars up to 100 yrds. Check it out if you get the chance......

Re: How well do silencers work [Re: skinnerback] #3012188 02/14/12 02:36 AM
J
jdw Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: skinnerback
I'll probably get bashed for this but seriously guys, look into the new air rifles. The 357 cal Benjamin Rogue sounds about like a 22lr & don't have to deal with all of the BS associated with a can. We're getting total pass through on big boars up to 100 yrds. Check it out if you get the chance......

i have been researching these big bore air rifles for a awhile. but from what ive been reading is you need an air compressor to "charge" them. i dont want to be carrying around an air compressor and have to use it on every shot. air compressors are loud and cumbersome especially in the still of the night.

Re: How well do silencers work [Re: jdw] #3012249 02/14/12 02:52 AM
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: jdw
Originally Posted By: skinnerback

i have been researching these big bore air rifles for a awhile. but from what ive been reading is you need an air compressor to "charge" them. i dont want to be carrying around an air compressor and have to use it on every shot. air compressors are loud and cumbersome especially in the still of the night.

One full charge on the rifle will give you 5 shots at full power. We charge either a scuba tank or an SCBA & it stays in the truck just in case you need a refill. No noise....nice & quiet.

Re: How well do silencers work [Re: skinnerback] #3012263 02/14/12 02:55 AM
J
jdw Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
skinnerback, when you say you are getting pass throughs on hogs, where are shooting them?

Re: How well do silencers work [Re: jdw] #3012494 02/14/12 03:54 AM
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
skinnerback, when you say you are getting pass throughs on hogs, where are shooting them?

Testing different bullets......broadside double lung shots up to 100 yrds breaking ribs total pass through, hog runs 20 to 50 yrds & piles up. Head shots in the 50 to 75 yrd range getting exit wounds but with little to no bullet expansion or fragmentation but still puts them down. Only 800 to 900 ft per second, bullets are hard & makes a clean hole. Check out a couple of videos on L3 Outdoors, or search youtube. My friend and partner-in-crime has been doing all of the testing with the Rogue.

Last edited by skinnerback; 02/14/12 03:58 AM.
Re: How well do silencers work [Re: skinnerback] #3012597 02/14/12 04:25 AM
J
jdw Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
skinnerback, will you try a middle neck shot next time and let me know the outcome? i know a neck shot will drop them in their tracks with a .223, but curious on what this airgun load will do with a neck shot. i read somewhere that nosler makes a load for airguns?? sorry, i dont want to highjack the OP's thread.

Re: How well do silencers work [Re: jdw] #3012897 02/14/12 12:17 PM
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
skinnerback, will you try a middle neck shot next time and let me know the outcome? i know a neck shot will drop them in their tracks with a .223, but curious on what this airgun load will do with a neck shot. i read somewhere that nosler makes a load for airguns?? sorry, i dont want to highjack the OP's thread.

Sure will Josh! Yes Nosler does make them too.

Re: How well do silencers work [Re: Elliot] #3015496 02/15/12 04:23 AM
S
stevenj Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S
What's the difference between 308 and 300 blackout is the ammo interchangeable if not does the 308 cycle reliably shooting subsonic

Re: How well do silencers work [Re: stevenj] #3015544 02/15/12 04:35 AM
G
GriffGruff78 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: stevenj
What's the difference between 308 and 300 blackout is the ammo interchangeable if not does the 308 cycle reliably shooting subsonic

Not interchangeable. The 300 blackout is similar to the 7.62 Russian in dimensions and ballistics whereas the .308 is essentially the .30-06 short. .308 is a cartridge with a fairly high recoil impulse, so it isn't likely to cycle normally with subsonic loads.

Last edited by GriffGruff78; 02/15/12 04:38 AM.
Re: How well do silencers work [Re: GriffGruff78] #3016643 02/15/12 05:04 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I've heard of people being harassed at a range by folks that thought silencers/suppressors were illegal....even calling the law.

To be determined
Re: How well do silencers work [Re: TurkeyHunter] #3016846 02/15/12 06:02 PM
stxhunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted By: TurkeyHunter
I've heard of people being harassed at a range by folks that thought silencers/suppressors were illegal....even calling the law.

I've never been harassed at the range. Most folks just have a huge smile and ask how they can obtain one and if they can shoot off a few rounds. If anyone were to ever call the law all I've gotta do is show them my LEGAL paperwork (ignorance is bliss I suppose).

For a while I researched big bore air guns and almost decided to go with 458cal instead of the 357, but I hear they are pretty loud when comparing them to subsonic 300blk. I've never witnessed one in person, so I guess that's not really a fair statement. Also, I know the price of the gun alone runs around $1200, scuba tanks and hook up equipment another couple hundred and fill ups vary on price IF you can find anyone locally to fill them up (which was ultimately my biggest problem) . All in all I figured pretty close to $2000 just to get all setup. Fortunately I was able to acquire a very nice suppressor for right around $900 including the stamp and I don't have to worry about filling or lugging around scuba tanks when I go hunting.

www.bigpiglights.com
Specializing in Hog Hunting and Night Vision Equipment
(956)793-0904
Re: How well do silencers work [Re: jdw] #3016864 02/15/12 06:07 PM
stxhunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
so you cant legally resale a suppressor to an individual like a you can a gun? or buy a used one from an individual? has anybody used one on a 22-250? how much quiet is it?

You can buy them from an individual, but from what I'm told it will take 2 transfers instead of one (I may be totally incorrect here so take this part for what you will). There has to be a transfer to a dealer from the original seller, which takes as much as 6 months, then the paperwork can be started to transfer the suppressor to the new buyer, taking as long as another 6 months. The wait time is what usually discourages people. Typically the cost of used suppressors aren't really going to be much different than new suppressors and not many owners will ever put them up for sale, so there is a VERY SMALL resale market. Using a can on a 22-250 will most likely not work too well. From what I've experienced the faster the round the louder the sound or the more difficult it is to suppress.

Last edited by stxhunter; 02/15/12 06:08 PM.

www.bigpiglights.com
(956)793-0904
Re: How well do silencers work [Re: GriffGruff78] #3016886 02/15/12 06:12 PM
stxhunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted By: GriffGruff78
Originally Posted By: Dragonuv
I went the trust route and paid $50 for the trust paperwork. The key is to not find a lawyer to do it, but find a gun dealer who has the computer program and let them do the trust. It saved me $450, a lawyer would have been $500. And contrary to popular belief, you can use it on any gun of the same caliber. I have 3 guns I use mine on and interchange it quite often.

Isn't there a maintenance fee associated with the trust? In some ways it's better than getting the stamp (all of the trustees can use the gear whenever they want, the trust can be legally transferred without additional BATFE paperwork) and in some places (like Harris County and some other populous counties) that's the only way you will get your hands on one since all of the CLEO either ignore Form1/Form4 requests or have made it policy not to endorse them.

Building a suppressor actually isn't that difficult if you have good hands and are willing to research. The materials would be less than $100 in most cases for a simple 5.56 can.

No maintenance fee associated with the trust in the state of Texas. I believe you are thinking of an LLC, which is like a company. There is a way an LLC can purchase a suppressor and technically the company owns the firearm. There are maintenance fees every year associated with an LLC

www.bigpiglights.com
(956)793-0904
Re: How well do silencers work [Re: stxhunter] #3016970 02/15/12 06:33 PM
S
Smokinfeathers Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
308 or 300blk bolt gun subsonic is quieter than any airgun i have ever been around. my long barreled 308 is hollywood quiet, just hear the firing pin drop and the bullet hitting. if you shop around you can find cans cheaper as well. seen a dealer selling aac cyclones for $600 and i paid $900 for mine, there are lots of deals and group buys on them.

im looking to hunting this fall without all the noise!!

Prevent wildfires support prescribe burning

Asa south region rep
Re: How well do silencers work [Re: stxhunter] #3017408 02/15/12 08:40 PM
G
GriffGruff78 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: stxhunter

No maintenance fee associated with the trust in the state of Texas. I believe you are thinking of an LLC, which is like a company. There is a way an LLC can purchase a suppressor and technically the company owns the firearm. There are maintenance fees every year associated with an LLC

That's exactly what I was thinking about, actually...

Re: How well do silencers work [Re: jdw] #3017603 02/15/12 09:25 PM
T
THEBBC Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T

just for the record, it doesn't matter if it is shot from an airgun or a firearm, a bullet with the same velocity out of either will have the same energy and ballistics. now if said bullet is heavier and fired from an airgun, it will be more lethal(with identical shot placement) than a smaller bullet fired at same velocity from a firearm.

Type 7 Manufacturer/FFL
Custom Builds/Gunsmith/Custom Ammo/Transfers
www.titanweapons.com
Check out Titan Weapons for your next gun build. We offer small gun services to complete turn-key long range builds.
Re: How well do silencers work [Re: THEBBC] #3017693 02/15/12 09:57 PM
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: THEBBC

just for the record, it doesn't matter if it is shot from an airgun or a firearm, a bullet with the same velocity out of either will have the same energy and ballistics. now if said bullet is heavier and fired from an airgun, it will be more lethal(with identical shot placement) than a smaller bullet fired at same velocity from a firearm.

Um, that's not what we're talking about. There is a BIG difference in velocities between a 223 & the air rifle. Those velocities make a big difference especially when more kinetic energy & hydrostaic shock are needed for successful head & neck shots. Example: My bow & my rifle are both lethal, but I would never take a neck shot with my bow. Yes, you are correct about them both being equally lethal IF the velocities are the same, but the velocities are not the same......that's what we're talking about here smile

Re: How well do silencers work [Re: THEBBC] #3019903 02/16/12 06:09 PM
stxhunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted By: THEBBC

I think what he's trying to say is that a 220gr bullet fired at subsonic speeds (my preferred load in 300blk with a suppressor) from a rifle has the same energy as a 220gr bullet fired at the same speed from an airgun. Now of course if I were to switch to supersonic bullets in the 300blk pushing 2000 fps there would be no comparison.

www.bigpiglights.com
(956)793-0904
Re: How well do silencers work [Re: stxhunter] #3019955 02/16/12 06:31 PM
S
SC-Texas Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S

Its pretty quite if you are using subsonic rounds. The 300 blackout video was shot in a parking lot. I don't reccomend that you do that.

These two videos show the difference between Supersonic 9mm and subsonic 9mm:

SUPERSONIC

SUBSONIC:

Sean Cody
Attorney at Law
www.TexasGunTrust.com
TexasGunTrustLawyer@TexasGunTrust.com
"Providing NFA Trusts and Counseling to Texans"
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread